Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: Mass Shooting - San Bernardino, CA

Elite Member

The New York Daily News’s very provocative front page on the San Bernardino shooting

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/the-new-york-daily-news%E2%80%99s-very-provocative-front-page-on-the-san-bernardino-shooting/ar-AAfXEqa

The Washington Post
    Chris Cillizza 3 hrs ago

Here's the New York Daily News front page for Thursday:

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/stat...34341800521728

The Daily News's dismissal of Republican politicians' calls for prayers in the wake of the mass shooting that has left at least 14 people dead echoes a sentiment that emerged on Twitter in the wake of the incident Wednesday afternoon. As the Atlantic's Emma Green wrote:

There’s a clear claim being made here, and one with an edge: Democrats care about doing something and taking action while Republicans waste time offering meaningless prayers. These two reactions, policy-making and praying, are portrayed as mutually exclusive, coming from totally contrasting worldviews.

The Huffington Post was among those pushing against the insignificance of thoughts and prayers, calling them "useless."

"Another Mass Shooting, Another Deluge Of Tweeted Prayers," read its headline. The subhead: "Seems to have been an ineffective strategy so far."

Sen. Chris Murphy (D) of Connecticut, a state still dealing with the killings of 20 children in Newtown in 2012, was particularly outspoken in his criticism of politicians who offered prayers for the victims in San Bernardino but opposed attempts to tighten gun laws after the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary. His colleague, Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), was also quick to point the finger at congressional inaction.

Your "thoughts" should be about steps to take to stop this carnage. Your "prayers" should be for forgiveness if you do nothing - again.

In 30,000 tragic deaths every year — and now #SanBernardino — Congress is effectively complicit for its inaction.

@NYDailyNews/Twitter

The question now is whether any politician — from President Obama down — will again attempt to move some sort of gun-control legislation through Congress. And, if so, whether it meets with any more success than the last attempt in the wake of Newtown.

The effort to cast "thoughts and prayers" as trite reactions to horrendous events certainly represents a ratcheting up of the rhetoric.

JFC, guns are for pussys.
    gas_chick, OCD and panic like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Elite Member

The San Bernardino shooting would be the second mass shooting today and the 355th this year

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/...ear/ar-AAfXgIM

The Washington Post
    Christopher Ingraham 10 hrs ago

REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni Police officers transport bystanders from the area after at least one person opened fire at a social services agency in San Bernardino.

Multiple victims are reported in an active shooting situation in San Bernardino, Calif. If initial reports are correct -- authorities are saying there are unconfirmed reports of up to 20 victims -- this would be the third mass shooting since the rampage in Colorado Springs last Friday.

Here's a look at the year's mass shootings, included today's.

The Washington Post.

The San Bernardino shooting would be the 355th mass shooting this year, according to a mass shooting tracker maintained by the Guns Are Cool subreddit. The reddit tracker defines mass shootings as incidents in which four or more people, including the gunman, are killed or injured by gunfire. The Mass Shooting Tracker is different from other shooting databases in that it uses a broader definition of mass shooting — the old FBI definition focused on four or more people killed as part of a single shooting.

It would be also be the second mass shooting just today -- in the early morning hours, one person was killed and three were injured in an incident in Savannah, Georgia.

Speaking after the Colorado Springs shooting last week, President Obama urged Americans to not let this type of violence "become normal." But the data show that this type of incident already is normal. There have been more mass shootings than calendar days so far this year.

The number of mass shootings so far this year has already surpassed the total number of mass shootings in 2014, according to the reddit tracker. And the pace is well above 2013's pace, when a total of 363 mass shootings occurred.

https://twitter.com/ecareyo/status/6...741121/photo/1

Carey O'Donnell ‏@ecareyo

If you feel "desensitized," here's a photo from the Inland Regional Center's holiday party yesterday.

12:38 PM - 2 Dec 2015
    OrangeSlice and panic like this.

Jesus, that family. The father and the two sons are all named Syed Farook.

So did they just go postal or was religion involved? The Saudi Arabia connection is suspect.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Elite Member

I read somewhere that the shooters dropped the baby off at his mom's earlier that day and said they had a doctor's appointment.

Obviously there was some planning involved given that the shooters had weapons and gear ready to hand. Makes me think he planned to confront someone at the work event and then do something like this.

Assholes. I hope they enjoy their long stay in Hell.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

I was raised there and my Pop still lives there. I was freaking the fuck out because I couldn't find him for a few hours. Thankfully he wasn't anywhere near the city. My husband on the other hand was about 4 miles from where this went down at Loma Linda University at an appointment and was on lockdown for most of the day. I know EXACTLY where this happend. Hospitality (restraunt row) crosses Waterman and right there is a freeway on ramp. At the time I was liek WTF they could be anywhere. I know Berdoo is hood, but we have NEVER experienced anything like this ..EVER! I'm still fucking trippin.

If Syed Farook obtained his weapons legally, I'm thinking that American people might change their mind on gun laws. You know, if a Muslim man can obtain the same weapons that the regular white Christians man can.

But not the NRA, they are still fighting to make sure people on watch lists can obtain weapons.

Reports are that he obtained the handguns legally. The assault riffles were sold a few years ago, but they are still investigating where they were sold, to whom they were sold, and how this guy got them.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    If Syed Farook obtained his weapons legally, I'm thinking that American people might change their mind on gun laws. You know, if a Muslim man can obtain the same weapons that the regular white Christians man can.

Vote Trump to stop the Muslim's getting guns! /SMH

You know that it's only a matter of time before that mat haired moron starts saying he'll pass laws that say everyone but Muslim's and Mexicans should carry guns.
    OCD likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

OCD

False Flag/Sandy Hook Psychos are orgasming. Claiming Obama planned this one because the GOP blocked the gun debate yesterday. Seems more likely (if you want to go full tin foil hat) that the right would've planned this shit to create more fervor for a Donald Trump presidency. I want most of the people that live in this country to get put to sleep at this point.

But, but, but ... that's painting a whole ethnicity and an entire religion with the same brush. There can't be that many stupid Americans, can there?? And WTF is the NRA fighting to allow people on a terrorist watch list to obtain guns??? I mean, not that they couldn't get them illegally anyway, but WTF??

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post
    False Flag/Sandy Hook Psychos are orgasming. Claiming Obama planned this one because the GOP blocked the gun debate yesterday. Seems more likely (if you want to go full tin foil hat) that the right would've planned this shit to create more fervor for a Donald Trump presidency. I want most of the people that live in this country to get put to sleep at this point.
    Yeah, but the GOP doesn't want Trump on their ticket. I've read very recent articles about the fury of activity to try and get him off the GOP campaign. Trump's campaign manager has been really vocal about how little respect the GOP has for Trump and is threatening to go independent, which, in my opinion and college level classes in poli-sci, will never work. Not the way the electoral college works.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    But, but, but ... that's painting a whole ethnicity and an entire religion with the same brush. There can't be that many stupid Americans, can there?? And WTF is the NRA fighting to allow people on a terrorist watch list to obtain guns??? I mean, not that they couldn't get them illegally anyway, but WTF??
    There are so many stupid Americans, we are in Avogadro's number territory.

And the NRA is fighting to allow people on terrorist watch lists to obtain guns because they basically work for the gun manufacturers.
    OrangeSlice likes this.

It's disgusting what this country is becoming. No wonder everyone hates us.
    czb and JazzyGirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    It's disgusting what this country is becoming. No wonder everyone hates us.
    Well, there are stupid people everywhere. It's just unfortunate that we are so stupid on this issue. I think that gun-rights absolutists are kind of like cult members.

By the way, this is a GREAT article about how seemingly normal, smart people fall under mind control by some evil person/group. In this case, it was the Aum Shinrikyo group in Japan, which launched the 1995 Sarin gas attacks in the Japanese subway system.

Cult attraction: Aum Shinrikyo's power of persuasion | The Japan Times
    panic and Kathie_Moffett like this.

The crazies are usually the most visible in any group - Americans, Muslims, whoever. They're not the majority BY FAR, just the loudest, and unfortunately the example by which the rest of the group is often judged.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information