Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Like Tree513Likes

Thread: Mass Shooting at Colorado "The Dark Knight Rises" Screening

Bronze Member

The shooter was going to do this whether guns were legally obtained or not. That's it.

Don't blame the weapon. Blame the Murderer.

He didn't ask permission to do this.

If a gun wasnt available he would have found another weapon and would have done it in a different manner.
    Bluebonnet and card like this.

That loonie/fundie Bryan Fischer appears to be wilfully ignoring the early reports that the gunman (I refuse to use his name) was covered in bullet-resistant gear. He had planned this, thoroughly.

Greys, I got a shiver when I read your post. I'm so glad your baby boy is okay!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    And see THIS is the core problem here: we have virtually no fucking mental health care system left in this stupid country... There's NO WHERE to put the fucking violent loonies.

Hey Obama: WE NEED OUR MENTAL HEALTHCARE SYSTEM BACK!!!

May the victims of this latest nasty little shitbag rest in peace. He should have been where he couldn't hurt anybody, ever.

^ I heartily agree with this post. While we don't know for certain that this bastard has a history, even if he'd shown signs, what could his mother have done?

And speaking of his mother, it annoys me that the news contacted her before the cops did. Was the NY guy the person who leaked the shooter's name? Because he seems to be leaking all the other details i.e. he leaks the hair colour and the quote that the suspect called himself the "Joker", so misinformation spreads that the guy was "dressed like the Joker" during the shooting, when in fact he was covered in protective gear for the assault.

I am confused about a couple points brought up earlier in the thread. He left the theatre to grab the weapons/gear through the fire exit, didn't he? Aren't the fire exits alarmed in American movie theatres, or is there a litigation risk of stampede+injury=lawsuit? Also, an earlier quote on the thread claimed that sometimes officers are standing in the theatre? Did this theatre have armed security 24/7?

Quote Originally Posted by cnynrnr View Post
    If a gun wasnt available he would have found another weapon and would have done it in a different manner.
    I've never heard of a mass stabbing of 70 people before, though.

Kat, there should be alarms when those types of doors are held open, at the very least a silent alarm to alert security or someone else in authority. The theater is going to be sued into oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I've never heard of a mass stabbing of 70 people before, though.

Ever hear of bombs, flying airplanes into skyscrapers, anything like that?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

At theaters here, the exits at the front are for emergecny only, with panic bars, but they are not locked or alarmed. They exit into hallways that lead you to an exterior door.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    It makes it a hell of a lot easier though! Who on earth needs an assault rifle?!
    And the US has some of the most lax guns laws in the industrialized world and the highest amount of gun crime/murders. That's not a coincidence. Something is badly wrong there.

Those photos of the father are heartbreaking, the poor guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I hate things like that. I find them tasteless and exploitative. That may be unfair, because I'm sure people don't mean them to be. It's just my gut reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Some statistics - gun ownership and deaths by firearm per country:

States with the most gun deaths:

On an average day, the race and reason for a firearm death in the US:

And because I need to provide a pie chart (handgun deaths by suicide vs homicide in the US in 2006):

Vouch, vouch and vouch. Gun laws in the US are fucked, and even more fucked are the levels of delusion of some people. Just because it happens in other countries doesn't mean there isn a problem - the fact is, proportionately it happens a lot more in the US, a LOT more. And yes, lax laws do make a difference. Yeah sure, some people who really wants a gun will get one, eventually, but a lot of them won't. The easier it is to get guns legally, and the more of them there are, the easier it is for more of them to get diverted into the illicit market and the likelier it is for nuts to build up entire arsenals. It's fucking common sense.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

Alex Sullivan, the 27 year-old whose father was holding his picture, has been confirmed as one of the dead. I don't have the heart to link to the pictures again.

Aurora Shooting: Alex Sullivan Confirmed Dead on His 27th Birthday - ABC News

On a day that should have been marked for celebration, Alex Sullivan’s friends and family hadn’t been able to reach him.

The married bartender celebrated his 27th birthday by attending the midnight screening of “The Dark Knight Rises” in Aurora, Colo., with his co-workers.

“Oh man one hour till the movie and its going to be the best BIRTHDAY ever,” he tweeted.

A family friend has now confirmed that Alex Sullivan is among the people who died in the theater shortly after midnight, allegedly at the hands of suspect James Holmes.

Sullivan’s phone was off, and his car was still parked in the lot at the Century 16 theater in Aurora. He was not one of the injured being treated at local hospitals.

“There is a reason why he has not responded,” Bryan Beard, who has been friends with Sullivan since their freshman year in high school, said earlier in the day.

Beard had been camped out at Gateway High School, where witnesses were taken after the attack, waiting for information about Sullivan.

He was joined by his friend’s father, Tom Sullivan, who carried a photo of his son, hoping someone would recognize him.

Shelly Fradkin, who is Beard’s mother, said Aurora Police were supportive in communicating what they could to friends and family members.

“They have really gone above and beyond,” she said earlier in the day. “We have turned over every stone we possibly could today.”

That poor family. They must have known it all day, but still you hope.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

all of this makes me so sick and sad.

i'm a manager at a restaurant, and one of my dumbass dishwashers made a stupid joke (that he saw on FB) about the shooting (i won't repeat it). i sent his ass home w/o pay. fucker.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I'm so sorry for that family and all the others.

This has me so depressed--it's horrible what one human can do to another.

My heart breaks for Alex Sullivan's family. I was hoping he was just injured and couldn't be found because of all the chaos. RIP to all of the victims.

That's heartbreaking, especially reading his tweet and thinking about what his family and friends must have gone through today.

I don't think this has been mentioned but how did the man get his weapons into the area behind the emergency exit door? Nobody saw him bring them in to the cinema earlier or go through the door to stash them? I guess staff never look around the emergency doors as they're rarely used. He must have planned every little detail, it's so sick, can't comprehend how someone can willfully unleash such hell onto others.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuriCruise View Post
    That's heartbreaking, especially reading his tweet and thinking about what his family and friends must have gone through today.

I don't think this has been mentioned but how did the man get his weapons into the area behind the emergency exit door? Nobody saw him bring them in to the cinema earlier or go through the door to stash them? I guess staff never look around the emergency doors as they're rarely used. He must have planned every little detail, it's so sick, can't comprehend how someone can willfully unleash such hell onto others.
    I don't think there is too much security at theaters, and, as you said, they probably never even think to check there. There were also no alarms on the emergency exit doors, and as greysfang said earlier, the theater will probably be sued.

This guy wanted a huge body count. The booby-trapping and wiring of his apartment was him trying to lure rescue personnel to his apartment so he could blow up the building and distract everyone so he could kill more people at the theater. He cranked up his music hoping a neighbor would call the police to complain and even left the door unlocked hoping someone would go in and trip the wires, therefore blowing up the place.

In fact, the sole anger he probably feels is that he "only" killed 12 people. He was probably hoping for Anders Behring Breivik numbers.

Alex Sullivan's twitter bio (alex sullivan (sully_2003) on Twitter) tore me up inside:

im a man with a lot to ofter the world but i dont know what im here to do in life
    Alex was so damn excited to see that Batman movie.

source

Statement from the family of Alex Sullivan, who was killed in the Aurora #theatershooting:

"The Sullivan family lost a cherished member of their family today. Alex was smart, funny and, above all, loved dearly by his friends and family. Today was his 27th birthday. They respectfully ask that the media allow them time to grieve privately. They will not be giving interviews in the near term. Please honor their wishes by refraining from contacting them on private numbers or at their home while they come to terms with this tremendous loss."
    source: http://www.facebook.com/ilike9news

It's truly heartbreaking when you put a name with a face. I can't imagine what his family and friends went through. Like McJag said, you always have hope.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information