Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree513Likes

Thread: Mass Shooting at Colorado "The Dark Knight Rises" Screening

Quote Originally Posted by Seth82 View Post
    what a fucking moron

Right Wing Uses Colorado Tragedy to Vilify Gays and Secularism | Advocate.com

Right Wing Uses Colo. Tragedy to Vilify Gays, Secularism
    Bryan Fischer wonders if gays will object to Chick-fil-A feeding first responders to the shooting, and he and others blame the crime on America's alleged godlessness.

Sad but not surprising: Whenever there’s a tragedy, someone uses it to demonize gay people, and it’s happened with the mass shooting at an Aurora, Colo., movie theater.

Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association is apparently the first to play the gay card this time. Reacting to news that the Aurora Chick-fil-A was providing free food to police and other emergency personnel on the scene, Fischer tweeted, “Chick-fil-A provides free meals to first responders in CO. Let’s see Big Gay demonize that,” The New Civil Rights Movement reports.

The fast-food chain under fire for donations to antigay groups, and Fischer’s tweet linked to a Breitbart.com story that quoted some Twitter messages critical of Chick-fil-A, such as “$3M to fight marriage equality, but it’s ok cuz they gave cops some chicken tenders and waffle fries?”

Meanwhile, Fischer and other religious conservatives are saying the crime was a result of America’s turning away from traditional Judeo-Christian values. Fischer, in a column posted on the AFA website today, refers to “the catastrophic consequences in American life since the Supreme Court kicked God out of our public school system in 1962 by prohibiting school prayer.”

Without mentioning LGBT people specifically, Fischer cites these phenomena as among the consequences: “The nuclear family is breaking apart at culture-destroying rates. One of out every five adults in America has a lifelong, incurable sexually transmitted disease.”

Also blaming the tragedy on “ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs” was Texas congressman Louie Gohmert, who appeared on a Heritage Foundation radio show hosted by former congressman Ernest Istook of Oklahoma. “We have been at war with the very pillars, the very foundation of this country,” Gohmert said.

Gohmert and Istook also wondered why no one in the theater was armed and therefore able to take down the shooter; Colorado allows citizens to carry concealed weapons. “It does make me wonder, with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying a gun that could have stopped this guy more quickly?” Gohmert asked.
    You know who he sounds like?

Karistiona and ManxMouse like this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Oh jeez that is an unthinkable position to be in. Not knowing would be unbearable. I hope the best for them but it doesn't look promising, maybe by a miracle their son has survived. This whole thing is a tragedy. The poor survivors would be so traumatized and many of them don't know if their friends are okay or they've lost someone. A gunman just opening fire on a crowd is truly heinous. So frightening.

Re: the baby - I'm surprised the cinema allowed a baby into a sold out screening especially a midnight one. Who knows why it was there, I just hope the baby and its parents are okay.

Re: any bad feelings in the thread, I don't think anyone is trying to take away from the tragedy or 'get their opinion in', it's just a connection between tragedies like this and gun laws. Everybody is praying for these people, I don't think anyone wants a debate or to take away from what happened. If you meant me, I was replying to a poster above asking what gun laws have to do with it and that was not the only part of my post. Sorry if it offended anyone, that was not the intention.

edit: posted after leaving the thread open for a while so 20 other replies before that I didn't see.... we don't really need to debate the pros and cons of gun laws right now guys. That is a discussion that could go on all day and beyond a brief mention in this thread when it was brought up on the 1st page, there's not any reason to discuss it now. A few passing comments in response to someone has become a big thing. The focus should be on what has happened, lets not turn it into pages of people fighting.
    Kat Scorp and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Christopher Nolan Statement on Colorado Theater Shooting Tragedy

by SuperHeroHype
    July 20, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises director and co-writer Christopher Nolan released the following statement about the Colorado theater shooting that left 12 dead and 59 injured:
    Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community. I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime. The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me. Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families.

Christopher Nolan Statement on Colorado Theater Shooting Tragedy | Superhero Hype

I have seen people on FB mentioning a petition or something for Christian Bale to visit the people in the hospital dressed as Batman.

I do not think that is a good idea.....I understand they mean well, but who knows what these poor people are going through! Obviously now and forever Batman is going to have them see this horrible night all over again.

It was 20-30 minutes into the movie when the guy changed everything for them. I haven't seen the movie yet, but was Batman on scene yet?
    As someone who suffers from PTSD, I know that it doesn't take much to trigger a breakdown. Any object that was involved in the incident for me, no matter how "everyday" it is, does it.

I know people's hearts are in the right place, but they really need to think things through before they start making petitions for the internet sheeple to sign.....
    /rant

P.S. I hope that dad finds his son safe & sound
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

^ They mean well but that might bring it all back for many people. Could go very wrong
    Bellatheball likes this.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Just reading about all of this now. Those poor people watching a movie, probably thinking what was happening was part of the movie until that sickening moment when they figured out what was really happening. Tragic.

This is a joke?? Extremely poor taste.
    If being cunty is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

No. Its a tribute. There's a few of them going around. Like this one
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I hate things like that. I find them tasteless and exploitative. That may be unfair, because I'm sure people don't mean them to be. It's just my gut reaction.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I'm not a big fan myself, but I'm not really offended by them.
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Go take a quick look on FB....Not sure if yours in like mine, but there are about 15 variations of it floating around....I'm a big comic book geek, and it's in question why I haven't shared these things as well.
    BECAUSE THEY ARE JUST WRONG WRONG WRONG......Thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one who thinks it's in bad taste.
    Clubber Lang and Bluebonnet like this.
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by gardenwitch View Post
    Christopher Nolan Statement on Colorado Theater Shooting Tragedy

I have seen people on FB mentioning a petition or something for Christian Bale to visit the people in the hospital dressed as Batman.
    Are you fucking kidding me? Why on god's green earth would anyone think an actor showing up in a rubber costume would make things better? This is one of the most fundamentally stupid, seneseless things I have ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I hate things like that. I find them tasteless and exploitative. That may be unfair, because I'm sure people don't mean them to be. It's just my gut reaction.
    My gut likes your gut.

How about a little somber respect? Is that so fucking hard?
    gardenwitch, Bluebonnet and lulu09 like this.

I'm watching Dateline's take on it (NBC)

Watching someone's last moments is hard to swallow

I turned on my radio today and that douchebag Ryan Seacrest was talking about the shootings and they played the 911 calls on his douchey radio show.

Fuck Seacrest. I hate how the media takes a tragedy like this, talks about it non stop for 100 years just for their own ratings. Especially Seacrest isn't even a journalist. I could go on and on but I'll stop before I start getting really mad and cuss up a storm in German.

It reminds me of the Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry"

"I make my living off the Evening News
    Just give me something-something I can use
    People love it when you lose,
    They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
    I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
    Come and whisper in my ear
    Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
    Kick 'em when they're down
    Kick 'em when they're up
    Kick 'em when they're up
    Kick 'em when they're up
    Kick 'em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
    comes on at five
    She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam
    in her eye
    It's interesting when people die-
    Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
    Is the head dead yet?
    You know, the boys in the newsroom got a running bet
    Get the widow on the set!
    We need dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's going on
    You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
    Just leave well enough alone
    Eat your dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
    Kick 'em when they're up

Kick 'em when they're up
    Kick 'em when they're stiff
    Kick 'em all around

Dirty little secrets
    Dirty little lies
    We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie
    We love to cut you down to size
    We love dirty laundry

We can do "The Innuendo"
    We can dance and sing
    When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing
    We all know that Crap is King
    Give us dirty laundry!
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

^ TMZ was no better today. There have been so many times over the years that I have boycotted them (ironically enough, I haven't been to their website since they showed Heath Ledger being taken from his apartment on a stretcher) but their show on Sirius was ridiculous today. Such poor taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    It makes it a hell of a lot easier though! Who on earth needs an assault rifle?!
    And the US has some of the most lax guns laws in the industrialized world and the highest amount of gun crime/murders. That's not a coincidence. Something is badly wrong there.
    Some statistics - gun ownership and deaths by firearm per country:

States with the most gun deaths:

On an average day, the race and reason for a firearm death in the US:

And because I need to provide a pie chart (handgun deaths by suicide vs homicide in the US in 2006):

sputnik, Sarzy, chartreuse and 3 others like this.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information