Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree513Likes

Thread: Mass Shooting at Colorado "The Dark Knight Rises" Screening

~shrugs~ it doesn't matter if you agree or disagree. the law is law, existing completely outside of your opinion.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Now that I've calmed down for two second's I realized he just changed his plea and it was accepted, not that he got off by reason of insanity. You all are right, I need better reading comprehension/or glasses. Probably both.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

It does sound like a state-by-state thing. Richard Chase was convicted and sentenced to death in California (in 1979) for a series of grisly murders, including cannibalism and necrophilia. And victims as young as 22 months old. Despite the fact that he was shizophrenic and seemed to believe that he was a vampire who needed to drink blood or his own blood would turn to dust, he was convicted and sentenced just the same.

For people who want to read something in depth about court cases where insanity is at issue and where the issue of culpability comes into play, there is a book called "Alone with the Devil - Famous Cases of a Courtroom Psychiatrist", by Ronald Markman, MD. I read it over 20 years ago, and really thought it was informative. Below is the Amazon link, but it looks like it is out of print:

Amazon.com: Alone With the Devil: Famous Cases of a Courtroom Psychiatrist (9780553285208): M.D. Ronald Markman, Dominick Bosco: Books
    Clubber Lang likes this.

James Holmes' Lawyers Say He Killed 12 People In 'Throes Of A Psychotic Episode'

07/10/13 09:33 PM ET EDT

CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- For the first time, lawyers for accused theater shooter James Holmes say he killed 12 people and wounded dozens more at an Aurora movie theater last summer.

But Holmes' lawyers say he was "in the throes of a psychotic episode" at the time.

The admission came in a motion filed Tuesday but made public Wednesday. His lawyers were trying to argue that Holmes should be unrestrained during his upcoming trial.

"Holmes suffers from a severe mental illness and was in the throes of a psychotic episode when he committed the acts that resulted in the tragic loss of life and injuries," Holmes' lawyers wrote.
    Holmes has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to 166 counts of murder, attempted murder and other offenses – a plea that stops just short of a confession. But this week's motion is the first time Holmes' attorneys have explicitly said he committed the shootings, The Denver Post reported (James Holmes' attorneys admit he was Aurora theater shooter - The Denver Post).

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Judge Carlos Samour rejected the motion for Holmes to be unrestrained during his trial, saying it was "not appropriate." Instead, Holmes is to be tethered to the floor.
    "The Court chose the least restrictive form of restraint available and the one that could be hidden from the jury's view," Samour wrote.
    In a separate filing, Holmes' lawyers blasted the judge for meeting outside of the defense's presence with the Arapahoe County Sheriff's department about courtroom security around Holmes. Samour responded that it is within his powers to arrange for courtroom security.

James Holmes' Lawyers Say He Killed 12 People In 'Throes Of A Psychotic Episode'

"This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

That picture of him is disturbing. Was that a rare moment when he wasn't pretending to be completely out of it and in a daze?
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I don't pretend to know all the details, but he told a friend that his mental state was no longer managed. He made a note on the dating website that implied he knew he would be in jail soon. He was AWARE he was going over the edge.

The thing about mental illness is that when you are aware of it, it is your responsibility to seek help for the safety of yourself and others. He KNEW he was sick. You don't get permission to go wackadoodle and kill a bunch of people when you could have taken steps to take yourself out of society. In my opinion, if you are aware enough to note your illness, then you are aware enough to seek help.

This is like people with untreatable tuberculosis getting on a plane. Yes, you're sick and we're all very sorry, but if you already KNEW then you should be in the hospital, NOT on a plane.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

^ Didn't he try to get help, by going to the University psychiatrist? Or am I making that up? I'm not all there with the deets either. Not that I'm excusing the guy, obviously.

ETA: Or did he go, then stop going? In which case yeah, he actively could have received help and spurned it for his weird fantasy.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    ^ Didn't he try to get help, by going to the University psychiatrist? Or am I making that up? I'm not all there with the deets either. Not that I'm excusing the guy, obviously.

ETA: Or did he go, then stop going? In which case yeah, he actively could have received help and spurned it for his weird fantasy.

If I am remembering correctly, the university counselor/psychiatrist was so concerned about him she actually went to the police a couple of weeks before the shooting and had gone to the head of the university about her concerns. There is no report on what action was taken, if any.

Yes, he was actively been treated by one of the school shrinks. She became alarmed and was in the beginning process of getting him on a psych hold of some sort (had taken his case to a "committee") when the shooting occurred.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

It's amazing (especially given something that recently happened to one of our posters!) that nothing could be done before this happened.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    It's amazing (especially given something that recently happened to one of our posters!) that nothing could be done before this happened.
    What happened to one of our posters? I missed so much!!
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

if all of the above is true, and he sought treatment and his shrink was in the process of trying to get him some real help when the shooting occurred, i think it might well turn out that he was insane and should be put in a psychiatric hospital instead of a regular prison. i know what he did was horrible and having him declared insane goes against what people want and view as "justice" but maybe the insanity defence really is justified in this case?
    Last edited by sputnik; July 12th, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Ah, I was not aware that he was seeing a counselor. For some reason (And I may have mixed him up with someone else in the news recently) I thought he had put in to see a counselor and then never followed through.

That does sound more like he was trying to get help and the system failed in all its brokenness
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Ah, I was not aware that he was seeing a counselor. For some reason (And I may have mixed him up with someone else in the news recently) I thought he had put in to see a counselor and then never followed through.

That does sound more like he was trying to get help and the system failed in all its brokenness
    I don't know all the details and timelines regarding his interactions with the counselor. If she worked for the school, though, and he dropped out, then he might not have been able to keep seeing her. She might also have become available as the school year ended. Those could have been factors. Not to mention the fact that was not a minor and privacy laws would prevent notifying his parents or anyone else who might have had some influence on him unless he gave permission.

But it's also worth noting that the law makes it difficult to force people to be treated and to confine them, even in a hospital, against their will. And the US healthcare system really doesn't want to pay for in-patient treatment.

Lots of people who have loved ones with serious psychiatric disorders deal with these issues every day. The system protects the rights of the individual, as it generally should, but it also means that sometimes nothing happens unless the mentally ill person actually commits an act of violence or other crime. It is heart-breaking.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

The jury is on their way back to read the verdict. Honestly I don't care if he gets off on insanity, he will still never see the light of day again.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information