Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree513Likes

Thread: Mass Shooting at Colorado "The Dark Knight Rises" Screening

So I have a question to pose to you all:

If you know someone that is on disability for bi-polar, and has several guns, including assault rifles, who do you report that to?? The local police, FBI? Who??

Maybe people just don't know what authorities to even go to, because they haven't committed a crime, have a FOID card, purchased the guns legally, before the person was ever diagnosed.

Call the police and ask who to report it to. Chances are no one can do anything if there's no criminal history and they haven't made any threats.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Call the police and ask who to report it to. Chances are no one can do anything if there's no criminal history and they haven't made any threats.
    That is messed up. You are right, nobody can do anything. So then when tragedies like what happened last week, and what happened last year to Gabby Giffords, people will analyze and ask about warning signs and how come nobody reported the person, and their behavior suggesting mental illness. Well fuck, if people DID report it, like you said, there's probably nothing that can be done. That's disturbing to say the least.

Silver Member

What a horrible tragedy, this started out as a trip to the cinema little did the ones who died knew they wouldn't never return and the other victims have their lives changed forever. There was one particular thing that got me, Rebecca Wingo who was one of the 12 victims, a mom of two daughters, her father described after he learnt about his daughters death:

I lost my daughter yesterday to a mad man, my grief right now is inconsolable. I hear she died instantly, without pain, however the pain is unbearable. Lord, why, why, why?
    I couldn't help but cry after I read it. Poor man. I cannot begin to imagine what he, his family and other families of the 12 who lost their lives must be going through right now. Lives were cut short in such a cruel way. To bury your child, no parent deserves that. My prayers and thoughts go out to all of the victims of this tragedy and their families right now, stay strong! May god give you all the strength, comfort and support right now in each other during this difficult time.

xx
    McJag and Lenny like this.

Most likely the defense will either go for an insanity plea (insane at the time of the crime) or a plea of incompetent to stand trial. It happens all the time. Hell, we (D.A.'s office) had a guy claim to be mentally incompetent when charged with driving with a suspended license. Yes, a doctor had to examine him and jump through all the hoops just to basically say that he was in fact competent.

I see this guy being examined by a doctor and shipped off to a mental hospital until they (the doctors at the hospital) decide he is mentally competent to stand trial. God knows how long that will take.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

He looks to be setting up his incompetency plea based on today's courtroom behavior.

He sure wasn't drifting in and out of consciousness when he was mowing down dozens of men, women and children a couple days ago. Asshole.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

I don't think he can prove insanity. He ordered all those supplies and carefully planned out this attack. He put together a sophisticated and spectacular explosive display and manged to get himself out without triggering it. After he gave up, the first thing he did was ask for a layer, not a spaceship.
    Not all the hair dye and spitting at guards can overcome his methodical acts. He is highly organized.
    He will not be found insane. Look at the Unibomber-total cray-cray. Not this one.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

He could still be found incompetent to stand trial. I am not saying I would agree with it, if that were the case but it would not surprise me. I think some people can put up a front and fool anyone, including psychiatrists.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I think he's probably mentally ill but won't be found incompetent to stand trial. I'm sure he'll try his best to be found insane though.
    I saw his mugshot earlier, I'm glad he wasn't grinning in it.. He looked a bit like a deer in headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypye View Post
    He looks to be setting up his incompetency plea based on today's courtroom behavior.

He sure wasn't drifting in and out of consciousness when he was mowing down dozens of men, women and children a couple days ago. Asshole.

Exactly.

And I am so sick of reading articles calling him the "alleged" shooter. there's no "alleged" about it! He IS the shooter!!!
    Jadestone likes this.

His ability to execute the attack from stealth and subterfuge - hiding his weapons and pretending to be a theater patron before launching the attack - has pretty much demolished his ability to use an insanity defense. Because that behavior shows that he knew the difference between right and wrong.
    Bluebonnet and card like this.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Women Who Survived Theater Shooting Grieve for Hero Boyfriends - Yahoo!

Women Who Survived Theater Shooting Grieve for Hero Boyfriends

By CHRISTINA NG and DAN HARRIS | Good Morning America – 16 hours ago
    @GMA on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

(Matt McClain/The Washington Post via Getty Images)

Of the 12 people killed in the Aurora theater shooting, four of them were men who made the ultimate sacrifice to protect their girlfriends. Now, each of these women are struggling to come to terms with both their grief and their gratitude.
    Alexander Teves, 24, attended the midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" with his girlfriend Amanda Lindgren , 24,and another friend.
    When suspected gunman James Holmes opened fire in the sold out theater, Teves immediately lunged to block Lindgren from the gunfire.
    "I was really, really confused at first about what was going on, so confused," Lindgren told ABC News. "But, it's like Alex didn't even hesitate. Because I sat there for a minute, not knowing what was going on, and he held me down and he covered my head and he said, 'Shh stay down. It's ok. Shh just stay down.' So I did."
    Teves blocked the bullets from Lindgren but he was shot and killed. She was not hit.
    "He was my angel that night, but he was my angel every day I knew him," Lindgren said. "I'm broken."
    Lindgren reflected on the profoundly close relationship she had with Teves, saying that the couple would not go an hour in the day "without missing each other terribly."
    "My other half was just ripped apart from me and so for me it's still unreal," she said. "I can't picture my life without him. How do you? When someone loves you that much and you love somebody that much…how do you believe that this is real? And of all places. We were in that theater, that specific room. We were just supposed to watch a movie."
    When asked if she thought Teves knew he was putting himself in danger for her, Lindgren said, "I know he did. He'd do anything for me. He always told me that, too. I just wish I could have protected him the same way he protected me."
    Teves' father Tom Teves is also devastated, but said that his son is still with him.
    "I'm hollow. But Alex has come and brought me…from heaven, he's been bringing me hope," Teves told ABC News. "He's still my inspiration. And I know now more than ever that there is a God. Because of Alex. Because Alex is still coming through. Because that's the kind of man he is."
    Elsewhere in theater nine, John Larimer and his girlfriend Julia Vojtsek went through a similar situation.
    U.S. Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class John Larimer, 26, and his girlfriend Julia Vojtsek, 23, were sitting int the middle of the theater when the shooting began.
    "John immediately and instinctively covered me and brought me to the ground in order to protect me from any danger," Vojtsek wrote in a statement. "Moments later, John knowingly shielded me from a spray of gunshots. It was then I believe John was hit with a bullet that would have very possibly struck me. I feel very strongly that I was saved by John and his ultimate kindness."
    The couple had known each other since they were 21 and 18 years old when they met working at a Chili's in Illinois, where they are both from. Larimer was home for the summer from school and Vojtsek was getting ready to go to college. They became close and stayed in touch with Facebook and text messages.
    This summer, Vojtsek's father Fred Vojtsek came to Colorado to work for an extended period of time. When Julia Vojtsek traveled to Colorado to spend part of her summer with her father, she told him that Larimer was stationed in Aurora and he encouraged her to see him.

Theater Survivors Grieve For Hero Boyfriends
    "I wanted her to see him because he would have been a kid that a father wants to see his daughter with, a kid of values and things like that," Fred Vojtsek told ABCNews.com. He said his daughter and Larimer became boyfriend and girlfriend about three weeks ago. "So many kids these days don't really want to hear what parents have to say or engage or listen, and he did. That's what stood out with me."
    "We were planning on going to church Saturday night," Vojstek said. "He was a good kid."
    Fred Vojstek has been staying in a place just minutes away from from the Century 16 movie theater where the shooting took place. His panicked daughter called him as she was running out of the theater and he arrived within minutes of the shooting.
    "She was hysterical and then she got more into a shock stage," Vojtsek said.
    Since then, Julia Vojtsek has told her father that she was at the movie with Larimer, two other navy men and a woman. Fred Vojtsek said that after Larimer was shot, the other two navy members were "unbelievable" in making sure his daughter got out safely, even though they had just met her earlier that day.
    "I'm grateful my daughter is alive and hopeful he can get through this," Vojtsek said, adding that she is "very, very traumatized."
    He said that Larimer's family has been very good to his daughter and that he is "eternally grateful" for Larimer and his Navy friends for saving his daughter.
    Vojtsek wrote that just weeks earlier, Larimer had spoken to her about his further advancement in the military.
    "John convincingly stated to me that he wanted to be deployed for two simple reasons: He wanted to protect his country, and he wanted to save others from danger and harm," she wrote. "John adamantly wanted to make a difference in the world, and he thought that his military service would be the best chance for him to do so."
    "John served his country to the fullest, fulfilling both of his goals," she added.
    In addition to these two couples, Matthew McQuinn, 27, and Jon Blunk, 26, died saving their girlfriends in similar ways. Their girlfriends Samantha Yowler, 26, and Jansen Young, 21, did not respond to requests for comment

I'm happy to report that there are still real men (heroes) out there.
    (Yes I'm judging the fool that fled the theater leaving his baby and girlfriend inside.. sad SOB).
    Jadestone likes this.

It makes me so mad that somebody can just take so many people's lives like that.
    Good for those men who protected their girlfriends.

Holly- For legal reasons I think they have say 'alleged' as he hasn't had his trial - even though we all know he did it.
    MsChiff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_h786 View Post
    What a horrible tragedy, this started out as a trip to the cinema little did the ones who died knew they wouldn't never return and the other victims have their lives changed forever. There was one particular thing that got me, Rebecca Wingo who was one of the 12 victims, a mom of two daughters, her father described after he learnt about his daughters death:
    I was wondering about this girl (I think this is the girl) her friend was looking for her... he called her parents and didn't know what happened to her?

I don't care why he did it. I don't want to pay him one more second of attention. I wish they let him loose in the general population. Prayers to all the families dealing with this and RIP to all who are lost. Such a fucking waste.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Thread Information