Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Like Tree513Likes

Thread: Mass Shooting at Colorado "The Dark Knight Rises" Screening

It's impossible to post around everyone's sensibilities. There are obvious no-no's like explicit or graphic material, but beyond that, people are free to post what they will about the story.
    dexter7 likes this.

^ @ Mohandas - I pretty much agree. I don't think those photos were wrong, personally. There are many iconic photos from lots of tragedies that symbolize the devastation of the event. Should those not have been taken? I guess it's a tricky subject.

I do think 911 calls being released is unnecessary though.

I think those who had a problem with the posts made a personal request that they not be posted and one can choose to adhere to or ignore the request at one's leisure.

As for the gun control discussion, Hubby and I were living in Pakuranga, Auckland NZ when this mess was going on
    Memorial to Tanya Burr, 1981-2004 - Significant aspects of NZ Youth Crime, Sept. 2002

So I've always felt dubious of promises that outlawing guns would take them out of the hands of those that might do harm with them.

Its not to say that I don't think refining gun laws would be helpful and the numbers do support there is far less gun violence in those places, but I also wanted to chip in that psychotics with guns shooting people up happens whether guns are illegal or no. I restate that I think our problems with Mexico and the border issues need to be strongly reevaluated before any such steps could be taken.
    Waterslide and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Its not to say that I don't think refining gun laws would be helpful and the numbers do support there is far less gun violence in those places, but I also wanted to chip in that psychotics with guns shooting people up happens whether guns are illegal or no. I restate that I think our problems with Mexico and the border issues need to be strongly reevaluated before any such steps could be taken.
    I'm more of a "refiner" than "banner". My opinion is that the amount of guns on the street in the US far exceeds anything that represents the idea of a well-regulated citizen militia. You have some people that have no guns, and some people who have about 100 guns. I think a gun is too powerful a device to be allowed to be a collectible.

I think the way guns are distributed in the US makes it too easy for people with dubious backgrounds to get guns. Mexico has had an avalanche of guns come into its country from straw purchasers in the US who are actually purchasing guns for Sinaloas, Zetas, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    Hmm, seems like over sea's they are treating this more like a meticulously planned massacre, like maybe they are under the impression it's a terrorist terrorist attack of some sort?
    You really have an agenda you're trying to push here.

Quote Originally Posted by clubber lang View Post
    My friend who's a very active member in Occupy Wall Street her Batman shirt today and happily told me "Happy Batman Day!!" when I saw her.
    That really made wonder.
    Let's show these people some respect, and not throw crackpot theories around right now.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I'm confused as to what the rules are regarding posting photos, audio, video on events like this. Everybody has different sensibilities and sensitivities.

In my opinion, taking or posting the photo of Tom Sullivan looking for Alex was not intruding on his grief. He was out in public, pleading for anyone who had information about his son to provide it. It was a very raw, emotional scene, and the photo was taken by a Pulitzer Prize-winning AP photographer who has covered events like this before. And the photos were published on hundreds of news web sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    ^ @ Mohandas - I pretty much agree. I don't think those photos were wrong, personally. There are many iconic photos from lots of tragedies that symbolize the devastation of the event. Should those not have been taken? I guess it's a tricky subject.

I do think 911 calls being released is unnecessary though.
    Oh I understand the background to the photos, I just personally find them really upsetting. I think that, God forbid, if it were my parents I'd hate for them to be all over the news, and I don't feel like it's necessary. There aren't really any guidelines over this stuff and it was just a request, I'm not gonna freak out if I don't get my own way. What feels appropriate to different people is so subjective, I just thought I'd ask.

Clubber I'm in the UK and I've not seen anything like that so far, as Witchcurl says suggesting that it's a conspiracy is disrespectful.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I am not even curious what the shooter's motif was because it will be crazy nonsense but I want to know if he has a mental disease, was on drugs or if he is just evil. It's just unfathomable what he did.

As for the dude who left his baby behind, I can't help but feel a little bit sorry for him. He was afraid to die and was in the most horrible situation anyone can imagine and he failed and neglected his child. Maybe he will come to his senses and feel really guilty about it later and now the whole world is there to judge him for his failure. His should have kept his mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Oh I understand the background to the photos, I just personally find them really upsetting. I think that, God forbid, if it were my parents I'd hate for them to be all over the news, and I don't feel like it's necessary. There aren't really any guidelines over this stuff and it was just a request, I'm not gonna freak out if I don't get my own way. What feels appropriate to different people is so subjective, I just thought I'd ask.
    Thanks for the followup, Karistiona. I'll be the first to admit that I have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in the past, and I have tried to refine what I post to prevent that. I also realize that people can react very differently to these photos. For some people, photos like those of the Sullivan family are very emotional, but for others so searing and upsetting that it is a distraction.

Back to Holmes - I've been reading that he has been acting up in jail - spitting at guards and at his cell door. Supposedly, on entering the jail, inmates were chanting "kid killer".

I read that they covered his face over when they moved him into jail. Is that the normal thing they do with high profile killers?

I do not have a problem with the emotional photos. They drive home the point of the tradegy that has happened. Believe it or not, those photos are often helpful to the families through their recovery. They are able to visually see their own reactions and it helps them come to terms with the terrible reality. It also allows them to then see the support that was extended towards them from total strangers.

I personally do not like hearing the 911 tapes but the laws allows for it so they will be released and played over and over.

Clubber Lang - I also feel that you pushing your agenda is disrepectful. No one has replied offering support of your idea so does that mean you will keep coming back to post more and more?
    Waterslide and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I read that they covered his face over when they moved him into jail. Is that the normal thing they do with high profile killers?
    A lot of times here faces are not shown until after the victims have had a chance to identify. Our news will say the police requested the face not be shown yet. They were just being cautious.
    Sarzy likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

mjw
    Elite Member

James Holmes, 24, spends several weeks stockpiling ammo and weapons.

* The killer fills his apartment with 30 softball-size globes full of gasoline. They are rigged to a control panel and to trip wires designed to kill anyone who walks in.

* At 1:30 a.m. Saturday, during a screening of “The Dark Knight Rises,” Holmes opens fire in a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., killing 12 people and injuring 58.

*Cops arrest him minutes later, where he warns them about the trap waiting at his house.

* Police avoid the front-door trip wire by breaking into the window outside his third-story apartment, using a robotic arm attached to a pole to look and maneuver inside.

* With the help of a fire hydrant, bomb technicians use water to surround an explosive, then detonate it safely. They also short out the control panel, sources said.

* Authorities used sand trucks to cart unexploded munitions to a safe place and detonate them.

Holmes had worked as a camp counselor in 2008.

Randy Schwab, director of Camp Max Straus, told the Los Angeles Times that Holmes was responsible for “the care and guidance of a group of approximately 10 children.”
    This nut worked as a camp counselor.

Read more: Holmes’ apartment wired to kill - NYPOST.com

Just in case anyone is interested:
    Colorado Gun Laws
    Waterslide likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Mohandas and everybody else, I hope that I didn't come across as someone saying not to post something. I would never do that. I don't have a problem with the photos, but personally don't like 911 tapes. I'd be pretty upset if I came in a thread and started hearing them without any warning (if YT started up automatically). I sincerely don't know why Kat got so upset. On my end, I certainly didn't mean to upset anybody.

Dead horse number one beaten. Dead horse number 2, I agreed with whoever said that criminals will still get guns, this is true. As long as people know how to make guns, there are going to be guns, and people will kill with them. Gun running will be more profitable, though.

I didn't want to get involved in a gun debate, and showed poor restraint in avoiding it, probably because I can't keep my big fat trap shut.

I posted the quote about how every time there is a shooting spree, they want to take the guns away from all the people who didn't shoot anybody. It was posted in jest, but I thought it was an interesting way of looking at the situation. Of course, everyone automatically jumped to the second part of the quote, what if only cops and military had guns?

Where I come from, it's normal that people have guns for hunting and for personal protection. Every person I know who has a gun is a responsible gun owner, they're licensed, and they've never injured anyone with their guns.

Some people think it's lunacy to own guns and some people think it's lunacy the government should make the decision on how a person protects themselves and their homes.

Yeah, they do that for his protection. Some people don't like the perp walk so they shield them from cameras, reporters, etc. Like McJag said, the prisoner will sometimes request it.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Just in case anyone is interested:
    Colorado Gun Laws
    I'm going to give that a read later on. I honestly had been surprised assault rifles were legal in Colorado.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I do not have a problem with the emotional photos. They drive home the point of the tradegy that has happened. Believe it or not, those photos are often helpful to the families through their recovery. They are able to visually see their own reactions and it helps them come to terms with the terrible reality. It also allows them to then see the support that was extended towards them from total strangers.

I personally do not like hearing the 911 tapes but the laws allows for it so they will be released and played over and over.

Clubber Lang - I also feel that you pushing your agenda is disrepectful. No one has replied offering support of your idea so does that mean you will keep coming back to post more and more?
    I promise I don't have an "agenda" and do apologize if I offended people. I was just looking for some honest debate to maybe figure out what happened, I personally feel this may have been a domestic terror plot but it's just my opinion, since none of us know what's up it's really not right for me to speculate. I get confused sometimes about the rules of the board but I'm not trying to shit-stir so I'll stay off this thread. This thread is so tragic anyway, I come to GR for LeAnn's dumbass so I think I'll just go back over there now...

Thread Information