Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Like Tree513Likes

Thread: Mass Shooting at Colorado "The Dark Knight Rises" Screening

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    I know, I'm trying so hard not to judge because of the extraordinary circumstances but damn.

Just a request - could we maybe lay off the intrusive stuff please? My youtube kicks in automatically and I can think of no good reason as to why anybody would want to listen to the call to the emergency services of that. The same way I don't want to see photos of parents desperately trying to find their children who are still inside the theatre. It's heartbreaking enough to know it happened, I don't need to intrude on somebody's trauma.
    I totally agree. I HATE seeing the photos or clips on the news when they're capturing the moments of someone's personal grief over a horrible situation. Seems so intrusive that I feel uncomfortable looking. Don't like emergency calls either, we don't need to hear that for the same reasons.

And I won't bother saying what I think of the 'father' abandoning his family. No words can adequately convey my disgust.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Killers are solely responsible for their actions. Their bad situation, Christopher Nolan, violent movies/games, failing exams, etc don't give anybody a reason to hurt other people so what the fuck ever with the people trying to shift the blame onto these ridiculous excuses (in the media, not here). This guy is responsible for what he did 100%, only he should be blamed. Their mental illness, sad childhood, etc explain why they snap but they still make a choice and willingly do something so unthinkable.

That said, I believe if it was harder to get guns many would not be able to kill and injure so many people and some would never be able to act out their sick fantasies. Many would still find ways to do fucked up things, but guns make it a lot easier (harder to catch before the event, can hurt many people at once, doesn't raise suspicion, easy access, etc). As everyone said there's no reason why a civilian would need an assault rifle. Those are the guns that should be illegal or much harder to get. People want pistols and handguns that's okay but make it harder for them to get them, do background searches to get a gun license, keep track of how many guns each person has, etc. Something isn't working with the current system if a mentally ill man, or any civilian, can easily purchase a horde of unnecessary guns that should only be available for combat.

That man who left his fiancee and 2 children is a coward and completely selfish. I can't imagine putting your own life above your 2 children or any children. He should be ashamed and disgusted with himself. If he panicked and made a horrible choice then he will have to live with that guilt forever, but he drove away and didn't think twice by the sound of it so somehow I doubt he's feeling too guilty.

The young man who helped her is a hero. He deserves all the praise he gets.

eta: I don't like hearing the emergency calls either, it's just too much
    Waterslide, Bluebonnet and jeri like this.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Lack of guns won't stop mass killing. In this case, in the time it took him to make his plans and acquire his guns, he could just as easily purchased the ingredients to make bombs and still have not hit any law enforcement red flags. The only violence that might, and I stress the word might, be reduced are crimes of passion. People will always find a way to kill others. Just hit Google and see how many bomb recipes you find.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

A*O

There's a eye opening TV show called Doomday Preppers or somesuch that shows outwardly normal but clearly batshit crazy people stockpiling huge amounts of weapons and ammo, perfectly legally, for when the Guvmint/Commies/Turrists take over the world. It's heartwarming to see them training their young children to be snipers with high powered rifles. But I did LMAO when one redneck doofus blew his thumb off when the gun misfired.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I liked this quote from William S. Burroughs. Even if you don't agree with it, it's an interesting thought.

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military.
    Also, since I was giving this some thought, I googled around for some mass killings and MO's and came across the story of Andrew Kehoe, who, in 1927, murdered 45 people, mostly children, with a lot of planning and a lot of explosives. He murdered his wife and set his farm on fire as a diversion, detonated one bomb located inside the school and then another from his shrapnel-filled car. This just took one sociopath, months of careful planning, and a little know-how in bomb making.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

A*O

I live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the miitary (plus a few very licenced hunters/ farmers and crims who usually kill each other). We manage quite well all things considered.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I was a freshman that year too. My friend down the hall had a class in Van Allen at that exact same time. She said something told her not to go there that day (seriously...freaked everyone out!) so she came home. We watched the news from our room in Burge. Seems like yesterday. We must have run into each other somewhere.
    Ahhh, Burge....I spent a few nights there in my lifetime...I was a Hillcrest girl. I didn't even hear about the shooting cuz I was driving home and it was on the 5 o'clock news.

I did watch Oklahoma City at the IMU. The lobby in front of the bookstore. Is there a TV still there? I haven't been to the IMU in at least 5 years....

I was a Comm. Studies major, an extremely useful degree BTW. Betting we didn't have any classes together...lol
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    Clinton's ban on the manufacture and sale was a ten year legislation that ended in 2004; Dubya Bush sure as hell wasn't going to renew it.

I was online for ten hours yesterday trying to sort fact from false reporting. There aren't any guidelines on what everyone here wants and doesn't want to see posted on the thread, so instead of rebuking me - or liking those who do - you yourselves post whatever it was you'd prefer to see on the thread. I can't read your minds, and I didn't even know that youtube vids could be set to play automatically. As not one of the nine other victims have been given a post by any of you, I'll divine it's another "thing" not to be seen here and I'll just crack on else where.
    What the hell?

Clinton's ban on the manufacture and sale was a ten year legislation that ended in 2004; Dubya Bush sure as hell wasn't going to renew it.

I was online for ten hours yesterday trying to sort fact from false reporting. There aren't any guidelines on what everyone here wants and doesn't want to see posted on the thread, so instead of rebuking me - or liking those who do - you yourselves post whatever it was you'd prefer to see on the thread. I can't read your minds, and I didn't even know that youtube vids could be set to play automatically. As not one of the nine other victims have been given a post by any of you, I'll divine it's another "thing" not to be seen here and I'll just crack on else where.
    No one is yelling at you or mad about it? I made a comment about the 911 calls, because I don't like them either. I believe SuriCruise politely requested that people not do it and she explained why. I didn't know people had youtube videos play automatically on their computers, but I just thought people could put the link like they do for NSFW stuff. It was just a suggestion, no one is "rebuking" you unless they're doing it in private?
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Ok, I'm judging the idiot who left his family behind. Idiot, coward. I can tell you 100% what I would do without ever being in that position. I would not leave my baby under a chair to be trampled or worse. It's just a parents fucking instinct. Period.
    Waterslide, Sylkyn, card and 1 others like this.

Police looking for second “person of interest” in theater shooting | KDVR.com | Denver Breaking News, Weather & Sports – FOX 31 News in Denver, Colorado

Police looking for second “person of interest” in theater shooting

AURORA, Colo. — Sources tell FOX31 Denver reporter Justin Joseph that a second man is now a person-of-interest in the Aurora theater shooting investigation. We are not disclosing his identity because he has not been charged.

Twelve people were killed and 58 injured early Friday when James Egan Holmes allegedly opened fire inside the crowded theater.

Neighbors of the person of interest say for the past two days there have been SWAT team and police cars in their alley and unmarked cars in street.

“He’s been there about a year,” said one neighbor.

Agents showed up again this morning.

“I woke up this morning with cops still here trying to look inside his home. *At 5:00 a.m. cops showed-up and asked me about (him).”

Sources tell Justin Joseph someone made either a call or a text from the person of interest’s phone threatening violence if James Egan Holmes was not released from jail. That call prompted police to issue an alert to find and detain him.

Sources also say a picture of Holmes with red hair on an adult website is what Egan looked like when he was arrested.*

Neighbors recognized him instantly but they say he recently dyed his hair.

“I`ve seen him before,” said a neighbor to the person of interest.

The person of interest’s Facebook page shows he has a master’s degree in bio-medical science.

Anshutz Medical Center confirms he is in their doctorate program, the same program from which Holmes withdrew several months ago.

Out of caution police searched their campus Friday, but they won’t say what if anything they were looking for or found.

As for the person of interest, all law enforcement jurisdictions, local, state and federal, are looking for him.

Neighbors say he and his roommate left their home hours before the massacre. *They haven’t seen him since.

Aurora police declined to comment on this report due to the active nature of the investigation.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    A tragedy is a tragedy no matter what nationality but you do realise that there are plenty of people on this board who are not Americans?
    Doh! Yes I do. *Slaps forehead extra hard for Faithanne having to remind me in first place.* My apologies for not thinking to include everyone in on that comment, I guess I assumed most people reading this thread would be American's since it happened in CO, but that was a wrong assumption and I apologize.
    I've been reading and it appears other nations including France have respectfully pulled this weekend's show times in light of what's happened to show respect for the victims' families which is probably what we should have done over here!. Hmm, seems like over sea's they are treating this more like a meticulously planned massacre, like maybe they are under the impression it's a terrorist terrorist attack of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the miitary (plus a few very licenced hunters/ farmers and crims who usually kill each other). We manage quite well all things considered.
    Strange that isn't it?

They're looking for a second person? Eek.

If you're referring to my post, I think I was perfectly reasonable and my post certainly wasn't berating you. I could have said something far more strongly worded but I was trying to be kind and measured. I wasn't speaking for everyone, it was a polite personal request because I can't cope with seeing that stuff, but the people on this board are usually excellent at talking about and debating the facts without buying into that Fox News sensationalism, so I'd rather not avoid the thread.

I am absolutely horrified that somebody thought it was appropriate to photograph families begging for news of their loved ones; in what universe is that appropriate or right? When you see somebody falling apart with grief, your thoughts should NEVER go to "I've got to get a photo of this, people need to see this." THat's just my view, but you'd be perfectly ok to ignore what I'd said and do whatever you think is best.

To clarify - I don't have a problem with anybody contributing news stories to the thread, but if people wouldn't mind laying off the posting of photos, stories, video or audio of horrendous truma or private grief I'd sincerely appreciate it. I understand that it's out there for interested people to read, but I would really appreciate posters exercising their judgement over what's appropriate and what's going too far.

Oh, and your inference that the rest of us don't care about the victims? Get a grip.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I'm confused as to what the rules are regarding posting photos, audio, video on events like this. Everybody has different sensibilities and sensitivities.

In my opinion, taking or posting the photo of Tom Sullivan looking for Alex was not intruding on his grief. He was out in public, pleading for anyone who had information about his son to provide it. It was a very raw, emotional scene, and the photo was taken by a Pulitzer Prize-winning AP photographer who has covered events like this before. And the photos were published on hundreds of news web sites.
    Lenny, Sylkyn, sluce and 3 others like this.

Thread Information