Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Like Tree513Likes

Thread: Mass Shooting at Colorado "The Dark Knight Rises" Screening

I wonder about that too, Bella. I have known more than one person to get VERY odd while working on their thesis or some of the more difficult portions of their advanced degrees. If he already had some mental illness (Perhaps something like schizophrenia which can be very dormant for a long time) and then had a psychotic break, I can see something like this happening.

Lately I've been very concerned for a friend of mine who is an instructor at a prominant university and has been receiving unplanned visits from a homeless man who was initially diagnosed with his paranoid schizophrenia there and thus blames the university for his difficulties. She's now on first name basis with all the campus police and has a panic button in her office

I'm sure at some point he was someone's 'promising student' neighbor or son as well.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

My friends who suffer with schizophrenia are easily among the most brilliant people I know.

I truly believe there is a thin line between genius and insanity--couple that with the fact that mental breaks often occur in the low to mid 20s and that's a recipe for some otherwise very intelligent doctoral candidates to go off the rails.

Please note, my degree is in English so I have no idea what I'm really talking about. Feel free to call me Becky if I got all that wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    Besides being so, so, sooooo tragic, this whole thing is so very suspicious. Too many members of a certain group of people seem a little bit too ok with it, if you know what I mean. (Not people on here, on other blogs.) If you guys have some time to kill, scan some other websites reporting on this and research the comments regarding the events/shooter/etc.- see what you pull up. This was no random mentally disturbed young man IMO, and I believe you all might end up feeling that way too and if that just so happens to be the case as American's we need to find who ever these people are, the ones with the extremist, evil agenda and proactively and without fear weed them out. This is the UNITED States of America, damn it. Let's Unite! K now I'm done with my late-night beer-and-tear soaked rant now. Carry on
    Is it really necessary to bring this whack job conspiracy nut bullshit into this? Fuck the tin foil hat theories, and this call for a new McCarthyism. Weed these people out? WTF?

Let's not turn this into a circus.
    McJag likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yeah, I've got one on my facebook list who is convinced this is a plot. Its getting very irritating. May need to take him off my feed for a few days.
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

At least one legit news source is confirming that he failed his Phd prelim exam.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...54/detail.html

Only news source I see carrying it, though. I wonder if they got their info from reddit as well ;P
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Incorrect. You might want to research those numbers again.

And really, don't bother ignoring my actual point if you're going to use false numbers you pulled out of your ass.
    According to the CDC web site (CDC - Fatal Injury Data - WISQARS - Injury), there were 332,811 firearm related deaths in the US between 1999-2009. That includes suicides, homicides, accidents and legal interventions. For homicides alone (discounting accidents, suicides, etc.), the number is 129,797.

You cannot run a report after 2009, but the firearm death rate has not changed enough to make my original statement inaccurate. I think it's more likely that I lowballed the number of homicide deaths from 2002 to 2012.

Edited to add: Greysfang, if by your original point, you are basically saying "killers are going to kill" and that they will avail themselves of whatever means necessary, whether it's guns or planes, or bombs, I get that point to an extent. However, guns are a supremely efficient measure of dealing out death, and it is pretty much the first choice of spree killers and mass killers in the United States - from Starkweather, to the guy who committed the Luby's massacre, to the guy who committed the Stockton massacre, to the guys who committed the Columbine massacre, and on to this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Is it really necessary to bring this whack job conspiracy nut bullshit into this? Fuck the tin foil hat theories, and this call for a new McCarthyism. Weed these people out? WTF?
    Anybody who ever saw Rocky III knows that Clubber Lang speaks from the heart, not the head!!!
    AnNumber of

Last edited by MohandasKGanja; July 21st, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
    lulu09 likes this.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    So I just told hubby about the guy who left his kids in the theatre and he just stared at me. Then he said, "wanna bet she's not marrying him now?"
    mr czb said the same thing when i told him the story as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I'm curious about the stats on killing sprees in those who have to leave in the middle of their quest for advanced degrees. It happened on our campus when I was an undergrad and it seems like that's been repeated more than once since.
    Bella, I can't believe we've never met in real life. That was my freshman year, and I skipped class at that time to go home for the weekend. If I didn't I would have walked right past the shooter on the way to Van Allen.

I think brillance does cross a boundary, cuz it sounds like this guy had no social skills in addition to being mentally imbalanced. I see it in my 10 year old son. He's a math genius at school, yet can't figure out how to make toast. He has friends and such, so it's not that bad, but social cues, he just doesn't get.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    According to the CDC web site (CDC - Fatal Injury Data - WISQARS - Injury), there were 332,811 firearm related deaths in the US between 1999-2009. That includes suicides, homicides, accidents and legal interventions. For homicides alone (discounting accidents, suicides, etc.), the number is 129,797.

You cannot run a report after 2009, but the firearm death rate has not changed enough to make my original statement inaccurate. I think it's more likely that I lowballed the number of homicide deaths from 2002 to 2012.

Edited to add: Greysfang, if by your original point, you are basically saying "killers are going to kill" and that they will avail themselves of whatever means necessary, whether it's guns or planes, or bombs, I get that point to an extent. However, guns are a supremely efficient measure of dealing out death, and it is pretty much the first choice of spree killers and mass killers in the United States - from Starkweather, to the guy who committed the Luby's massacre, to the guy who committed the Stockton massacre, to the guys who committed the Columbine massacre, and on to this guy.

Anybody who ever saw Rocky III knows that Clubber Lang speaks from the heart, not the head!!!
    AnNumber of

Guns aren't all that efficient, that's why these whackjobs require crowds, to be sure they hit something. And your numbers are still incorrect, there have been deaths by flying planes into buildings since 2002, the guy who flew his plane into the IRS building for one, and the kid in NZ (I think) but that was a suicide and that's just off the top of ky head. But lets not leave out good old McVeigh, though perhaps you should since you specified since 2002, but hey, you already quoted multiple incidences prior to then, not that your "these are the stats" argument puts any dent whatsoever in the people will find a way to kill argument.
    dexter7 likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Oklahoma City kept coming to my mind. I know it was long before 2002, but what about the Tylenol scare? The sarin attacks in Japan? They did not kill as many as quickly, but what is to say that someone a little "smarter" isn't going to come along and get the job done? There are a million ways to kill people en masse without guns, you just need one person with an evil mind and a little ingenuity.
    dexter7 likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

You're never going to eradicate all options for killing large amounts of people, but I'm all for laws that make mass murder sprees more difficult. I don't understand why assault rifles can be sold to the general public.
    holly, SuriCruise, Laurent and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    You're never going to eradicate all options for killing large amounts of people, but I'm all for laws that make mass murder sprees more difficult. I don't understand why assault rifles can be sold to the general public.
    That has never made sense to me. It seems they should only have ever been for combat.
    holly likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Assault rifles don't make sense to me either. They're really only made for one thing. You can't hunt with them and they're overkill in self-defense.
    holly likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Bella, I can't believe we've never met in real life. That was my freshman year, and I skipped class at that time to go home for the weekend. If I didn't I would have walked right past the shooter on the way to Van Allen.

I think brillance does cross a boundary, cuz it sounds like this guy had no social skills in addition to being mentally imbalanced. I see it in my 10 year old son. He's a math genius at school, yet can't figure out how to make toast. He has friends and such, so it's not that bad, but social cues, he just doesn't get.
    I was a freshman that year too. My friend down the hall had a class in Van Allen at that exact same time. She said something told her not to go there that day (seriously...freaked everyone out!) so she came home. We watched the news from our room in Burge. Seems like yesterday. We must have run into each other somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    I don't understand why assault rifles can be sold to the general public.
    Clinton's ban on the manufacture and sale was a ten year legislation that ended in 2004; Dubya Bush sure as hell wasn't going to renew it.

I was online for ten hours yesterday trying to sort fact from false reporting. There aren't any guidelines on what everyone here wants and doesn't want to see posted on the thread, so instead of rebuking me - or liking those who do - you yourselves post whatever it was you'd prefer to see on the thread. I can't read your minds, and I didn't even know that youtube vids could be set to play automatically. As not one of the nine other victims have been given a post by any of you, I'll divine it's another "thing" not to be seen here and I'll just crack on else where.

Thread Information