Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Man decapitated on greyhound bus while travelling through... MANITOBA :P

at least it wasn't Highlander.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by Belindagogo View Post
    James Turner / AP
    So everyone surrounding him is 6'2-6'6"? Wow, what a big guy? I was wondering what he looked like when I read the name.

He wouldn't be 200 pounds if he was wearing everything in his closet then had the hose turned on him.

Rot in hell you psycho. I hope you make many friends in jail.

They're saying the victim was only around 5'4" or so.

Victim's family learned of death from media, not RCMP

The family of 22-year-old Tim McLean, stabbed and decapitated Wednesday in a vicious attack on a Greyhound bus, are angry the RCMP took so long to inform them that he was the victim.

CTV's Murray Oliver visited the family's house in Winnipeg Friday and spoke to McLean's sister.

"She told us that in fact they didn't know that Tim was the victim in this crime until last night when a journalist came to their house and knocked on the door," said Oliver.

"Obviously they're wondering why the RCMP did not come and inform the family for such a long time."

He said the family had been following the story when the news first broke.

"Then, to get the knock on the door, and to find out that it's your son, it's your brother -- I can't imagine how it must have been for them and that shock is written on their faces," said Oliver.

He said the family was also angry with the media.

"Tim's sister told us the family feels they really can't say a word -- not even to speak about Tim's life -- until they can assemble the family together and they can come up with a joint statement," he said.

Suspect charged

RCMP have charged Vince Weiguang Li, 40, with second-degree murder.

Li, from Edmonton, Alta., will appear at a court in Portage la Prairie, Man., on Friday, RCMP confirmed in a press release.

Initial reports said McLean was sleeping with his head against the window when a large man sitting beside him attacked.

However, one of McLean's best friends said he was not asleep when the attack happened.

"I was talking to one of his ex-girlfriends not too long ago, and she was texting him the whole way back from Edmonton until 10 minutes before this accident happens," William Caron told The Canadian Press.

"He was just sitting there texting her, listening to music on his cellphone."

Caron said McLean was returning to Winnipeg after working at a carnival booth at fairs around western Canada.

"My brother was supposed to go meet him at the bus depot and he never showed up," said Caron.

Brian, who asked that his last name not be used, worked with McLean and described him Friday as an easy-going guy.

"The one thing that I noticed about Tim was that he never took anything seriously," Brian told CTV Newsnet.

He said if McLean did have a chance to fight back he would have.

"I don't think Tim is the type of person to take any crap from anyone," he said.

Meanwhile, friends of the victim quickly created a "R.I.P. Tim" tribute on the social networking website Facebook.

"I can't believe this is happening," wrote Leah Dryburgh of Winnipeg.

"Tim, you were the best guy ever. You didn't deserve this at all."

Pictures of McLean have also been picked up from the website.

A post-mortem on McLean's body will be conducted Friday at the Winnipeg Health Sciences Centre. RCMP officials have not officially released the identity of the victim.

Meanwhile, many of passengers on the bus received counselling following the ordeal and have since returned home.

Frank Yeo, whose daughter was on the bus when the attack happened, said she's now trying to recover from the ordeal.

"Fortunately she didn't see full details head on but she saw enough that she's pretty traumatized," Yeo told CTV Newsnet on Friday.

Yeo said it's going to take a long time for many of the witnesses to recover.

"There were small children on the bus, there were a lot of people for who an event like this will just devastate them emotionally," he said.

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/abc/home/contentposting.aspx?isfa=1&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V3&showbyline=True&newsitemid=CTVNews%2 f20080731%2fManitoba_victim_080801

Oh, man...it's bad enough the poor family had been following the story and not knowing it was kin, but to find out from a journalist?
    Rock the fuck on!

SVZ

ok i'm sitting beside the driver on buses from now on...

A*O

Frank Yeo, whose daughter was on the bus when the attack happened, said she's now trying to recover from the ordeal.

"Fortunately she didn't see full details head on but she saw enough that she's pretty traumatized," Yeo told CTV Newsnet on Friday.
    I don't think he meant to say that.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I did not know that. He still needs to be fried though.
    japan and the US are the only developed nations that still have the death penalty.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    I'm annoyed by how people (not here) keep going on about how disgusting it is that no one intervened. It was on a bus with narrow aisles that accommodate only the width of one person. It doesn't matter how many people were on the bus, it would have meant only one person taking on the killer at a time (in other words, one person getting killed at a time), to try and save someone who was probably already beyond saving.
    I read somewhere that 3 of the evactuated passengers ran back in to see if they could help the victim (but by this point his head was half sawed off and they realised he was well beyond saving), and the psycho started stabbing and slashing at them so they had to hastily retreat again. No one who was in that situation could have done anything - and the poor victim would have been very dead very quickly anyway.

As for tiny, scrawny female me, I'd have got the hell off that bus faster than a ferret on meth.

Quote Originally Posted by katerpillar View Post
    I read somewhere that 3 of the evactuated passengers ran back in to see if they could help the victim (but by this point his head was half sawed off and they realised he was well beyond saving), and the psycho started stabbing and slashing at them so they had to hastily retreat again. No one who was in that situation could have done anything - and the poor victim would have been very dead very quickly anyway.

As for tiny, scrawny female me, I'd have got the hell off that bus faster than a ferret on meth.

Agree as I have stated earlier. In fact it seems normal from a psychological viewpoint that in a group situation, strangers will NOT act in 'heroic' or helpful ways. We have seen that happen time and time again. Whether it's the old man that was repeatedly run over on a street and many did nothing, or a psychotic man beating a baby to death on a highway in full view of people who did absolutely nothing, it is the norm sad to say for people to do nothing.

And it is also normal for people who read about these situations to criticize people for not doing anything, or to think that in such a situation they would have bravely confronted the situation. It is psychologically normal for people on the outside to feel that they would have done different.

But besides the 'bystander/kitty genovese' effect, as also stated this particular situation was even more extreme. The crowded bus, the sudden panic situation, screaming, etc. etc. I would say it is normal for anyone in such situation to want to get out. Those at the front were probably not even aware of what was going on until they saw people rushing towards the front.

And yes those three guys did go back, and that is good, but let's not forget that while a good act, it happened after the fact. I am not judging anyone here, just saying that it took some time for the shock to wear off, and people to collect their thoughts, before they decided on a course of action.

Oh,pooh! This is not the same situation! What you wanna bet -cover in blood,holdin a head,this guy must have looked 10 feet tall to them. He was also in a psychotic rage. No one was cowardly-just terrified. They tried as much as they could,IMO.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Also, isn't there a step up at the back of a lot of Greyhound buses? That would make him look taller too.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

A*O

I'm sure if you are confronted with, God forbid, a crazy knife weilding psycho acting out in a confined space with such extreme and frenzied violence you instinctively get yourself as far away from the situation as possible. It has nothing to do with heroics and everything to do with self preservation.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Default Police tape: Canada bus killer ate victim's flesh

Police tape: Canada bus killer ate victim's flesh - Yahoo! News

A police officer at the scene of a grisly beheading on a Canadian bus reported seeing the attacker hacking off pieces of the victim's body and eating them, according to a police tape leaked on the Internet Saturday.
    In the tape of radio transmissions, a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer refers to the attacker as "Badger" and says he is armed with a knife and scissors and is "defiling the body at the front of the bus as we speak."
    On the tape, which lasts about 80 seconds, officers continue to detail the attacker's movements until one reports, "Badger's at the back of the bus, hacking off pieces and eating it."
    The RCMP described the tapes as "operational police communications and, as such, are not meant for public consumption." Police said permission had not been given to use the radio transmission, which was posted on LiveLeak.com and picked up by other Web sites.
    Officers were responding to a desolate stretch of the TransCanada Highway about 12 miles from Portage La Prairie, Manitoba, after the bloody attack late Wednesday on the bus traveling from Edmonton, Alberta to Winnipeg, Manitoba.
    Vince Weiguang Li, 40, faces second-degree murder charges for the murder of a 22-year-old man, who friends and family identified as Tim McLean. Police have not confirmed the victim's identity.
    Passengers said they had just reboarded the bus following a break when the suspect for no apparent reason stabbed the man sitting next to him dozens of times as passengers fled in horror. He then severed the man's head, displayed it and began hacking at the body.
    Li's employer said in an interview Saturday that he was shocked to learn that his "model employee" had been accused of the grisly attack. Vincent Augert, an independent contractor who distributes newspapers in Edmonton, said that Li was one of his most reliable carriers.
    "He was very punctual and always cleanly dressed," he told The Associated Press. "He was a very nice, polite guy. We would've had no reason to let him go before all this happened."
    (they always say that about killers!)

Augert said Li had worked for him since last July and caused no problems.
    "I had no odd suspicions about him at all," said Augert.
    Augert said that Li called him two weeks ago to say he needed a day or two off to go to Winnipeg for a job interview at the end of July. He said Li called him back and left a message with the dates, but never followed up after that.
    "That was unusual for him not to call back and then when he didn't show up for work on Tuesday we got worried," said Augert, who said it was sometimes difficult to understand Li because he spoke quickly and had a strong Chinese accent.
    Augert said he called Li's cell phone on Thursday and his wife answered. She told him that she hadn't heard from Li, who had told her he had to leave for a few days because of a family emergency.
    Li, who shuffled into a courtroom Friday in Portage la Prairie with his head bowed and feet shackled, appeared before the court without a lawyer. He did not reply when the judge asked him whether he was going to get a lawyer, and only nodded slightly when asked whether he was exercising his right not to speak. He was not required to enter a plea.
    The prosecutor asked for a psychiatric assessment, but the judge said he wanted to give Li a chance to meet with his lawyer. Li's next court appearance is scheduled for Tuesday. The RCMP said Li has no known criminal record.
    McLean's family spoke publicly Saturday for the first time since the brutal attack.

"He was a little guy with a heart bigger than you could know," McLean's uncle, Alex McLean, told reporters in a prepared statement from the family.
    "Tim spent his life traveling and meeting new people and always saw the good in everyone. He had the most infectious giggle. You could hear him laughing a mile away," said Alex McLean.
    "It didn't matter what kind of a day you were having, because when you heard him laugh, you couldn't help but join in."
    William Caron, 23, said McLean was quiet, though he liked to socialize with friends. He was small about 5-foot-4 and 130 pounds and tended to stay away from a fight, Caron said.
    "All the time I've known Tim, he's never been the type of guy to get into a fight with. He always kept to himself when there's strangers around," Caron said.
    The killing has spawned a vast online community, with tens of thousands showing support for McLean's family and expressing disgust for the attack.
    One of the many groups on the social networking site Facebook has accumulated over 40,000 members with more than 2,000 wall posts. "It's something right out of a horror movie," said Sheena in Edmonton.

Now they are reporting that he may have been eating the victim also.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information