Login to remove the ads!
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Madeleine McCann's parents to be re-interviewed by police

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I read that their friend's child was vomiting, not Madeleine. I have left my daughter alone when she was vomiting. She was 12. We don't know how old the child in question is. If it is a young child then I would think it is wrong.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...147213,00.html

I was pretty sure the vomiting child was just a toddler too and so I checked around again. Sadly, it appears that they did indeed leave a 3-year-old alone in a room vomiting

Russell O'Brien and Jane Tanner

A university friend of David Payne's, Russell O'Brien is also a doctor, who worked in Leicester. He and Ms Tanner have two children, the older one the same age as Madeleine. This daughter, the newspaper Sol reported yesterday, was vomiting on the night the toddler disappeared, so Ms Tanner spent much of the evening away from the dinner table. She is a key witness on the night of the disappearance, having told police that around 9.20pm she saw a man walking away from the McCanns' apartment carrying a child.

They were just talking about her on "This Morning"

I feel bad thinking the parents are shifty, but something's odd about this.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I was upset from day 1 that they left the kids sleeping in a room while they went to dinner even so close by. That just isn't done here in the US by attentive parents. It is against the law to leave them. Then I was told by several European friends that it is perfectly acceptable in the culture. Is that true? One acquaintance just returned from living in Singapore for 18 months and said she dreaded returning to the US because she couldn't just let her kids go off on their own anymore.
    Lol, no of course not! My parents wouldn't leave us alone without a babysitter until my older sister was 13 and old enough to watch us.

When anyone of us as much sneezed, my mom wouldn't leave our side to begin with.

I think they were tried in the court of public opinion already for being awful, negligent parents. But I still am far from convinced they had anything to do with her death. If the only evidence the police have is what has been brought to light in the media, they will never secure a conviction. The defense would wipe the floor with them. Blood found 25 days, weeks after the fact, is too easily discounted by discontamination, especially in a rental car. The smell of death on a nurse is a long shot. If they decide to prosecute, they must have ALOT more than what has been told, because they would be fools to press charges otherwise.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I agree pretty closely with A*O's theory.

I think they injected the kids with a tranquilliser, maddy died in her on vomit and no-one checked on the kids for hours. hence the dead smell in the apartment that the sniffer dog detected (the body must be there close to 2 hours for the dog to detect it.). My only question is the DNA, it's apparently from blood or bodily fluid, if there was blood it would indicate violence. Or can you throw up blood if you OD?

Also the sniffer dog inicated the presence of a dead body in the trunk of the car, not sure if that was a body or clothing or bag that had the body in it previously. Apparently it left enough blood/body fluid DNA to be proven to be madeline.

It's a very puzzling case. They appear to be preparing to arrest her for manslaughter, which makes me lean toward the OD theory.

The sniffer dog indictaed there was a dead smell on the cuddle cat, some of the mums clothes, the apartment - another apartment, the car keys and in the boot. Interesting huh.

Off topic - To the person who said something about Sinagpore being safe. I don't think it would be considered safe to leave a 3 year old alone in a house by any-one here - they could injure themselves!. You do see young kids catching the train/bus to school and walking home alone (ie: 8 year olds etc) Singapore is very low crime and children are safe walking the streets here. I however wouldn't let my kids do that.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Thanks for the analysis... my only question is, not having following this story, WHY did it take all this time for the above story about the sniffer dog, the rental car, the trunk, etc. to come out?

A*O

Because it was only comparatively recently that the Portuguese police asked a UK police forensic team to assist.
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sheesh, it's an international debacle... it seems odd that they would only now be doing a more intensive forensics investigation.

the forensics were done immediately as soon as the brits were called in to help, it is a shame it wasn't all done much sooner.
    The Portugese Press has always been honest/more balanced about the case but the Brittish press has been extremely pro McCann which is another reason no-one ever heard anything negative about them. Kinda like the Australian press when Shappelle Corby was first arrested.

Large amount of Madeleine's hair 'found in boot of parents' hire car'

• Bugged phone calls convince police Madeleine is dead
    • Portuguese newspapers label Kate McCann a 'violent' mother
    • Police to search church where McCanns prayed
    • Gerry's Blog: last few days have been emotionally draining
    • Tests suggest Madeleine 'accidentally poisoned by overdose'

Madeleine: DNA in the McCanns' hire care boot is said to be a full match

Substantial quantities of Madeleine McCann's hair were found in the boot of her parents' hire car, it's been revealed.

Investigators are convinced so much hair was found that her body must have been stored in the vehicle, which was hired more than three weeks after she disappeared.

The dramatic new evidence adds further pressure on Kate and Gerry McCann, who may now face charges over the death of the missing four-year-old in days.
    But Gerry McCann has reiterated his insistence that they had "nothing" to do with the disappearance of their daughter, adding he Kate were "100 per cent confident" of each other's innocence - and would prove it to the world.

Senior police leading the investigation in Portugal said detectives from the Algarve will travel to Britain later this week as the investigation intensifies.

Sources today told the Evening Standard Newspaper: "Some of the samples of DNA were taken from hair which match Madeleine's DNA. There was so much hair it could not be from DNA transference but from the body being in the boot."
    The source said that DNA from bodily fluids also found in the boot of the Renault Scenic car, hired by Kate and Gerry McCann 25 days after her disappearance, was a "90 per cent match" rather than the 100 per cent being widely reported.
    The police source discounted the theory that the crucial DNA was of Madeleine's blood but insisted it was some bodily fluid.
    Police in Portugal are still awaiting full reports from the forensic science service in Birmingham and said that officers will go there in coming days to liaise with British police and scientists to ensure there is no misunderstanding over the test results.
    Another sample giving a partial match is also said to have been found in the vehicle which was hired several weeks after Madeleine's disappearance on 3 May.

Although there was no official confirmation the police sources also alleged that the samples came directly from Madeleine's body and had not been passed on via her clothes or toys. The new reports follow yesterday's strong rebuttal of claims that test results sent to Portugal by forensics experts at Birmingham were flawed. Scroll down for more...
    Evidence: the Renault Scenic hire car used by the McCanns in Portugal. Police say they found substantial amounts of Madeleine's hair in the boot

Read more...

British scientists remain fully confident about the accuracy of their findings, which triggered last week's dramatic shift of focus by the Portuguese police onto Madeleine's parents.

The revelations about the DNA evidence found in the McCanns' hire car emerged overnight and appear to give a further indication of the reasons behind the Portuguese decision to name Kate and Gerry McCann as formal suspects.

Crucially, the sources say that the samples giving the DNA matches - one of which is reported to come from underneath upholstery in the McCanns' car - are biological fluid which came directly from Madeleine's body.

Initially, the Portuguese police refused to comment on the new claims, but later the country's national police chief Alipio Ribeiro sought to play down the alleged findings by saying that they were not conclusive.

"We can't say with certainty whether it was the blood of person 'A' or person 'B'. They help guide us in our investigation but not with the mathematical precision some people are saying," he said.
    Another source said, however, that both Mr and Mrs McCann had "a lot of explaining to do" and insisted detectives in the Algarve remained highly confident that they were focusing their inquiry in the right direction.

Although there has been no official confirmation of the forensic findings, all the indications so far have been that they point strongly towards the presence of a corpse in the McCanns' car. Scroll down for more...
    Gerry and Kate McCann insist they had 'nothing' to do with the disappearance of their daughter

It has also emerged that police in Portugal may be planning to submit details of intercepted emails and phone calls between the McCanns and their friends as part of the file sent to prosecutors.

Today Mr McCann reiterated his insistence that they had "nothing" to do with the disappearance of their daughter saying he and his wife Kate were "100 per cent confident" of each other's innocence - and would prove it to the world.

Mr McCann spoke as friends said his wife believed forensic evidence had been planted to incriminate her. She has spoken of her disbelief at the discovery of traces of bodily fluid in the door of a hire car rented by the couple 25 days after Madeleine went missing.

But a source close to Mrs McCann said: "She believes the evidence has been planted - either by the police or even by the abductor. Gerry's view is if it is there, it has been planted or it has been accidentally transferred."
    In his blog on the website www.findmadeleine.com, he described the past few days as "unbelievably stressful and emotionally draining".
    He wrote last night: "The pain and turmoil we have experienced in this last week is totally beyond description. Kate and I are totally 100 per cent confident in each other's innocence and our family and friends have rallied round unflinchingly to support us."

Friends of the couple say they are victims of a campaign by the Portuguese to pressurise them into a confession.

Portuguese police declared the McCanns arguidos - or formal suspects - after a breakthrough in DNA tests conducted in Britain.

Police in Portugal now believe Mrs McCann killed Madeleine and her husband helped cover up the crime, hiding the body temporarily before disposing of it at least 25 days later using the hire car.

The McCanns say the claim is ludicrous and far-fetched and they fear they are being framed. Mrs McCann made her claim of being framed in a telephone call to a close friend after she was interrogated for 11 hours at Portimao police station on Thursday, where she was accused of killing her daughter. The friend said: "When we spoke, the feeling was very much from her that they were being stitched up."

It is understood that the new legal team hired by the McCanns to defend them - they could face charges at any time - will scrutinise the forensic evidence and employ their own expert.

The McCanns have let it be known they are scathing about the standard of policing in Portugal, with one source suggesting that the forensics gathered could easily have been contaminated by officers inexperienced in modern policing techniques.
    One source suggested that officers had failed to take the McCanns' fingerprints properly on the night Madeleine vanished and had to take them again the next day.
    The officer who searched their holiday apartment in Praia da Luz wore only gloves and not the overalls which are standard practice in Britain to prevent contamination of evidence.

The McCanns could remain arguidos for up to a year, leaving them uncertain of their future.
    But police could also issue arrest warrants at any time, forcing them to return to the Algarve, from where Madeleine vanished on 3 May.

Large amount of Madeleine's hair 'found in boot of parents' hire car' | the Daily Mail

Who the hell injects children with tranquilisers??? I doubt even Britney would think of that.

^^ If Britney was a doctor she would.

I find myself struck by Kate's hair streaks and tan. She's been spending quite a bit of time on her appearance. It reminds me of my reaction on first seeing Susan Smith. Susan was just so perfectly groomed. Her big fluffy bangs, her immaculate makeup and not a hair out of place made such a contrast to the scruffiness and red-rimmed eyes of the boys' father next to her. When she made that appeal on TV, I turned to the Mr. and said, "I hope I'm wrong about this, but..." Sadly, I wasn't. I realize that people react to situations differently and that it could mean nothing, however, I can't imagine lying around tanning if my child was missing. On one interview segment I saw, the swimsuit strap lines were quite clear.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    It reminds me of my reaction on first seeing Susan Smith.
    I don't remember ever having wanted to hurt someone so badly as her when I watched that on TV when it was going on. Those little boys reminded me so much of my son at the time, I would shake and cry every time I watched it. I still tear up at the thought of what those kids must have been thinking when they drowned.

Back on topic: how have they performed tests which show the child may have been accidentally poisoned by overdose? Did I miss something? I thought they hadn't found the body yet.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by powerorchid View Post
    The forensics were done immediately as soon as the brits were called in to help, it is a shame it wasn't all done much sooner.

The Portugese Press has always been honest/more balanced about the case but the Brittish press has been extremely pro McCann which is another reason no-one ever heard anything negative about them. Kinda like the Australian press when Shappelle Corby was first arrested.
    Well then the McCanns must be very well-connected back in Britain with certain corporations/people that have an image to protect (and money to preserve) if they turn up guilty.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information