Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Madeleine McCann's death 'covered up by parents who faked kidnap', court hears

Couldn't find this thread so I'd posted it in one of the many others on this case.

BUMP NECRO

They're still not giving up the "search"

Source: Daily Mail

A nightmare reconstructed: New video of night when Maddie disappeared is released as McCanns launch Crimewatch appeal to find missing daughter

• Footage to be aired on episode of BBC Crimewatch tomorrow night
    • Programme will include a reenactment of tennis game with her parents
    • E-fits of men seen in and around Praia da Luz will also be released
    • Scotland Yard says it is the most detailed reconstruction yet
    • Appeal will move to Holland and Germany next week

By Wills Robinson

PUBLISHED: 01:05 GMT, 13 October 2013 | UPDATED: 01:51 GMT, 13 October 2013

A reconstruction of the night Madeline McCann disappeared is to be aired tomorrow night in a renewed bid to find her five years after she went missing.

A full reenactment lasting 25 minutes will be shown during the special episode of BBC Crimewatch, including a game of tennis she played with her parents.

Pictures of men seen in and around the Portuguese town of Praia da Luz on the night of Maddie's disappearance will also be shown during the programme as part of a new appeal to find the girl who went missing five years ago.
    Nightmare: The reconstruction of the events leading up to Madeleine McCann's disappearance includes a reenactment of a game of tennis she played with her parents

Nightmare: The reconstruction of the events leading up to Madeleine McCann's disappearance includes a reenactment of a game of tennis she played with her parents

A number of e-fits, including two of German-speaking men, have been released by British detectives in an effort to identify potential suspects and eliminate innocent sightings.

Their daughter, dressed in pink shorts, a light pink T-shirt and pink hat, will be seen running across the court, clutching a batch of tennis balls just days before she vanished from the Algarve.

An interview with the McCanns will also be shown, where they were asked how often they think of their daughter, who went missing when she was three years old on May 3 2007.

Her parents were dining at a nearby tapas restaurant when she disappeared from their holiday apartment.

Mr McCann says: 'When it's a special occasion, when you should be your happiest and Madeleine's not there, that's when it really hits home.

'Obviously, Madeleine's birthday goes without saying.'

Mrs McCann adds: 'It's when you have big family occasions really. That's it isn't it? 'Family occasion' and you haven't got your complete family."

Crimewatch presenter Kirsty Young will speak to the McCanns live in the studio during the programme, while presenter Matthew Amroliwala explores the new focus of the police investigation in the resort where she disappeared.

Senior investigating officer, Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, will also discuss how the police have approached the inquiry.

He says: 'Primarily what we sought to do from the beginning is to try and draw everything back to zero if you like.

'Try and take everything back to the beginning and re-analyse and reassess everything, accepting nothing.'

He adds: 'The careful and critical analysis of the timeline has been absolutely key.

'Primarily, we're focused on the area between 8.30 and 10.

'We know at 8.30 that was the time Mr and Mrs McCann went down to the tapas area for their dinner and we know that around at 10pm that was when Mrs McCann found that Madeleine was missing."

An incident room will be staffed during tomorrow's appeal and the days that follow, when the appeal moves to Holland and Germany, where dedicated TV programmes will also be shown.

A dedicated call centre will also be opened at Hendon, in north-west London.

Mr Redwood and his team recently revealed a vast log of mobile phone traffic could be the key to finding out what happened to Madeleine.

Scotland Yard detectives have interviewed 442 people as part of their review-turned-investigation and hope to track down as many people present in the Portuguese town at the time.

Since launching its own investigation, 41 people of interest have been identified by the Metropolitan Police, including 15 UK nationals.

Detectives have issued 31 international letters of request (ILOR) to mostly European countries in relation to the persons of interest as well as seeking permission to access phone records.

A large but 'manageable' list of phone numbers identified as being present in Praia da Luz has been drawn up by detectives with a 'significant' number unattributed to any named person.

Ahead of the programme, Mr Redwood, said: 'The timeline we have now established has given new significance to sightings and movements of people in and around Praia da Luz at the time of Madeleine's disappearance.

'Our work to date has significantly changed the timeline and the accepted version of events that has been in the public domain to date.

'It has allowed us to work with Crimewatch to build the most detailed reconstruction as yet, and highlight very specific appeal points.

'I hope that when the public see our investigative strands drawn together within the overall context of that appeal, it will bring in new information that moves our investigation forward.'

The Portuguese investigation officially closed but authorities there are backing the Scotland Yard inquiry and officers from both countries will work together in pursuing new leads.

The Metropolitan Police now has a team of six Portuguese detectives based in Faro, who are carrying out inquiries on its behalf.

The McCanns are currently suing former police chief Goncalo Amaral for libel over claims in the book The Truth Of The Lie.
    Pics at the link.

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

A*O

Whatever happened - and I still stick to the Accidental Overdose scenario - it's pretty clear that the Portuguese police investigation was hopelessly bungled. Good luck to the British police untangling the mess after all these years.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    From looking at the Wiki entry, it appears that they did immediately do an exhaustive search of the grounds when they realized that she wasn't in the room.
    As soon as Jane Tanner learned Madeleine was missing, she told Matthew Oldfield's wife that she may have witnessed the abduction.[26] At around 22:10 Gerry sent Matthew to alert the resort's 24-hour reception desk and to call the police, and at 22:30 the resort activated its missing child search protocol.[40]The resort's manager said that 60 staff and guests continued searching until 04:30, at first assuming that Madeleine had wandered off. One of those involved told Channel 4's Dispatches that from one end of Luz to the other, you could hear people shouting her name.
    The fact that the Wiki entry also says that Kate McCann almost immediately said that "Someone's taken her!" makes it seem like she threw the situation into abducted-child mode, but since everyone (including guests) was still exhaustively searching the grounds for her for about the next 5 hours, it doesn't sound like they were operating that way. I'm guessing that because Kate had seen a window open, in addition to a door, she didn't think that Madeleine had just woken out of a sleep and wandered out, but that maybe someone opened a window, peered in at her, and then came through the unlocked patio doors and took her.

Obviously people are going to be scouring the grounds for hours trying to find her. But the fact that the mother immediately knew she'd been abducted just because she wasn't in the room is what seems off to me. It would also explain their demeanor and how they looked like they were being disingenuous. It would also explain why they would feel comfortable leaving three kids in the room alone. A child Madeline's age could never be left alone to sleep in a room because she could get up and hurt herself, ex, tripping and hitting her head on the way to the bathroom etc, waking up and wandering outside the room. Two babies in a crib are less mobile. But if they had drugged her to sleep it wouldn't have felt bad to leave her sleeping, never thinking she'd be kidnapped. They are both doctors and may have felt completely comfortable giving her a dosage, more so than a regular parent. It's always been the answer that made the most sense to me. Also explaining how she was able to be abducted without waking or crying or screaming.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

We saw snippets about this while channel surfing last night and then a piece on the news later. The Bloke turned to me and said "This smacks of a fake out by the police, like they did with that other lot before they arrested them." (I think he was referring to Mick and Mairead Philpott but I was sleepy and didn't ask)
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I heard on the news that some English people staying @ the resort that have given the same name to a photo-fit of some guy carrying a child possibly to the beach. I hope that it is to exclude him from their enquiries.

BBC News
    Madeleine McCann: Police probe Crimewatch call material1 hour ago

Kate McCann recalls the moment she discovered that Madeleine was not in her bed
    UK detectives probing the disappearance of Madeleine McCann in Portugal in 2007 are working through information from nearly 1,000 calls and emails after a fresh appeal on the BBC's Crimewatch.

Several people are said to have given the same man's name after e-fit images and a reconstruction were shown.

Det Ch Insp Andy Redwood, the officer leading the inquiry, is to make similar appeals on Dutch and German TV.

The Metropolitan Police are offering a 20,000 reward for information.

Madeleine, of Rothley, Leicestershire, was three years old when she disappeared from her parents' holiday apartment in Praia da Luz on 3 May 2007.

Police, who outlined their latest findings in the search for Madeleine on BBC One's Crimewatch on Monday, said the response to the programme had been "overwhelming".

Detectives released two e-fits of a man seen carrying a child in Praia da Luz at 22:00 on the night Madeleine went missing.

It was also revealed that they now suspect Madeleine could have been taken up to 45 minutes later than previously thought - just before her mother returned to the apartment to check on her.

In the programme, Kate McCann described the moment that "panic kicked in" after returning to the apartment to find her daughter missing.

Scotland Yard suggested the case bore hallmarks of a "pre-planned abduction" - a number of men possibly carrying out reconnaissance had been seen by witnesses - but said it was also looking into possible links to burglaries and bogus charity collections in the area.

Thursday 3 May 2007: Timeline

20:30 Kate and Gerry McCann leave their apartment to have dinner at a Tapas bar
    21:05 Gerry McCann checks on Madeleine and her siblings
    22:00 A man is seen carrying a child wearing pyjamas heading towards the ocean
    22:00 Kate McCann raises the alarm that Madeleine has gone missing
    Full timeline of how events unfolded

In an update after the broadcast, Det Ch Insp Redwood said there had been 730 phone calls and 212 emails "as a direct result of the specific lines of inquiry we issued yesterday".

"Detectives are now trawling through and prioritising that material. This will take time," he said.

E-fits of men police want to trace (Top row l-r): Sighted at 22:00 carrying girl; Seen near McCanns' apartment; Charity collector; (Bottom row l-r) Different image of man sighted at 22:00; Seen near McCanns' apartment; Seen in Ocean club resort on 3 May
    Crimewatch's editor Joe Mather said the appeal "went better than expected" and "significantly" many of the calls received were from British people who had been at the resort at the time but had not previously contacted the Met.

Mr Mather told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "They received several names for the key 10pm sighting, the sighting of a man carrying a child towards the beach. Several different names but also several callers mentioned the same name for that man."

The appeal has generated interest across Europe, as Richard Bilton reports
    The Metropolitan Police say their inquiries have led to the timeline and "accepted version of events" surrounding Madeleine's disappearance being significantly changed.

Det Ch Insp Redwood said it had been a "revelation moment" when police discovered a man seen by the McCanns' friend Jane Tanner at 21:15 was almost certainly an innocent British holiday-maker collecting his two-year-old daughter from a nearby creche.

He said: "Our focus in terms of understanding what happened on the night of 3 May has now given us a shift of emphasis.

"It takes us through to a position at 10pm when we see another man who is walking towards the ocean, close by to the apartment, with a young child in his arms."

The reconstruction is also to be shown in the Netherlands this evening, Germany on Wednesday, and in the Irish Republic. Tourists from all the countries were known to be in Praia da Luz at the time.

The two e-fit images released are of a man a family had seen with a blond-haired child of three or four, possibly wearing pyjamas, heading away from the McCanns' holiday apartment.

Det Ch Insp Redwood said he could be the man who took Madeleine - but there could be an innocent explanation.

He said there had been a four-fold increase in the number of burglaries in the area between January and May 2007 and one possible scenario was that Madeleine had disturbed a burglar.

Police are also looking at possible bogus charity collectors operating in the area at the time and have released two e-fit images of Portuguese men they would like to identify.

They have released e-fit images of two men seen in the area around the time that Madeleine disappeared. Two are of fair-haired men who fit similar descriptions.

Portuguese police shelved their inquiry in 2008 but Scotland Yard began a review of the case in May 2011 and opened a formal investigation in July this year.

BBC News correspondent Tom Burridge in Praia da Luz said Portuguese police had not commented on the Met investigation but had given the impression that they were co-operating well with their British counterparts.

The Met Police's reward is for information leading to the identification, arrest and prosecution of the person or persons responsible for the abduction of Madeleine McCann.
    BBC News - Madeleine McCann: Police probe Crimewatch call material.
    Lets not forget that this timeline is pieced together from the McCanns & their friends, some of whom changed their stories and some of whom are no longer "friends" with the McCanns.
    Free Charmed.

A*O

Assuming the McCann's version of events is true then I cannot imagine the agony of thinking she's probably dead or, worse, what might have happened to her in the process. But I don't believe their version of events so.....

In any event I can see no point in this waste of police time and resources so long after the event. The case is very, very cold and these things only get resolved on TV shows. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the McCanns are somehow making some money out of it.
    olivia, Novice, Leesifer and 1 others like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Nothing would surprise me about that pair.... Their Find Maddy "fund" is a limited company & therefore they do not have to say where the goes.
    Madeleine's Fund Accounts to 31/03/2008 Row as McCanns use 1million Madeleine fund to pay their mortgage | Mail Online http://mccannfundfraud.info/fund-faqs/

Interesting...

http://mccannfundfraud.info/category/lies/
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Assuming the McCann's version of events is true then I cannot imagine the agony of thinking she's probably dead or, worse, what might have happened to her in the process. But I don't believe their version of events so.....

In any event I can see no point in this waste of police time and resources so long after the event. The case is very, very cold and these things only get resolved on TV shows. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the McCanns are somehow making some money out of it.
    We were in town today as the Bloke was itching to spend his birthday book tokens. Guess whose book was pushed front and center of a lot of displays again...
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by ribbit View Post
    Obviously people are going to be scouring the grounds for hours trying to find her. But the fact that the mother immediately knew she'd been abducted just because she wasn't in the room is what seems off to me. It would also explain their demeanor and how they looked like they were being disingenuous. It would also explain why they would feel comfortable leaving three kids in the room alone. A child Madeline's age could never be left alone to sleep in a room because she could get up and hurt herself, ex, tripping and hitting her head on the way to the bathroom etc, waking up and wandering outside the room. Two babies in a crib are less mobile. But if they had drugged her to sleep it wouldn't have felt bad to leave her sleeping, never thinking she'd be kidnapped. They are both doctors and may have felt completely comfortable giving her a dosage, more so than a regular parent. It's always been the answer that made the most sense to me. Also explaining how she was able to be abducted without waking or crying or screaming.
    It depends on the child. My son sleeps like a log, and once you put him to bed, he is not going anywhere until the next morning. My daughter, though, would definitely wake up at some point, and realize she is all alone. If Madeleine was a heavy sleeper, they wouldn't have had to give her anything at all, and it would be easy to believe that the immediate presumption of Kate was that someone took her. Especially because Kate did not encounter Madeleine wandering around outside before she entered the room.

I'm not sure exactly what parents would give a child to ensure that the child sleeps. But if they were doctors, it's very difficult to believe that they would not be acutely aware of the dosage vs. weight ratio that you usually have to maintain for a medication so that they wouldn't cause an overdose.

Hit By Ban Bus!

It depends on the child. My son sleeps like a log, and once you put him to bed, he is not going anywhere until the next morning. My daughter, though, would definitely wake up at some point, and realize she is all alone. If Madeleine was a heavy sleeper, they wouldn't have had to give her anything at all, and it would be easy to believe that the immediate presumption of Kate was that someone took her. Especially because Kate did not encounter Madeleine wandering around outside before she entered the room.

I'm not sure exactly what parents would give a child to ensure that the child sleeps. But if they were doctors, it's very difficult to believe that they would not be acutely aware of the dosage vs. weight ratio that you usually have to maintain for a medication so that they wouldn't cause an overdose.

I don't think they overdosed her. I think they put her to sleep and she was abducted and they won't admit to drugging her because it would only make it worse. They could have given her a little benadryl. Obviously the would know the dosage. The previous night the neighbor said she'd been crying for a half an hour unattended. So that would have been a motivation for them to do so.

But when someone, adult or child, is sedated in a clinical environment they are usually monitored by people and machines that sound an alarm should anything untoward happen. This clearly couldn't have been the case here as all the adults were away in a restaurant and apparently only coming back at intervals to stick their head around a door and do a head count. No matter how many times someone has been sedated without any problems previously there is still a chance something could go wrong. This was a small child who had spent the day running about in a hot climate eating hotel food - what if, after being sedated, she had started to fall ill and vomited? The poor kid would be out cold and unable to wake up/turn over and choked.

Quote Originally Posted by ribbit View Post
    I don't think they overdosed her. I think they put her to sleep and she was abducted and they won't admit to drugging her because it would only make it worse. They could have given her a little benadryl. Obviously the would know the dosage. The previous night the neighbor said she'd been crying for a half an hour unattended. So that would have been a motivation for them to do so.
    I think, though, that when it comes to this particular speculation, people are speculating on something that would be highly unethical or illegal to have given Madeleine and that it caused an overdose that killed her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    But when someone, adult or child, is sedated in a clinical environment they are usually monitored by people and machines that sound an alarm should anything untoward happen. This clearly couldn't have been the case here as all the adults were away in a restaurant and apparently only coming back at intervals to stick their head around a door and do a head count. No matter how many times someone has been sedated without any problems previously there is still a chance something could go wrong. This was a small child who had spent the day running about in a hot climate eating hotel food - what if, after being sedated, she had started to fall ill and vomited? The poor kid would be out cold and unable to wake up/turn over and choked.
    Kittylady, that sounds like intravenous sedation, though, when someone is monitored by a person or a machine.

Here is another problem that I have with the idea of an accidental overdose and the parents hiding the body - the timeline and eyewitness accounts:

7 pm - the McCann's put the children to bed.
    8:30 pm - the McCann's join their friends at a table at the resort
    9:05 pm - Gerry McCann checks on the kids in the room and claims all is well, but a door is ajar
    9:05 pm - Jane Tanner goes to check on her child and sees Gerry McCann coming back to the table after checking on his kids
    9:15 pm - Jane Tanner sees a man carrying a child in pajamas on a road that runs along the hotel. That later turned out to be another hotel patron with his child.
    9:30 pm - Matthew Oldfield checks on the McCann's children for the McCann's (because Oldfields are next door). He looks inside and sees the bedroom door is open. Doesn't notice whether the window is open or closed.
    10:00 pm - an Irish family staying at the resort (and not traveling with the Smiths) notices a man carrying a small child wearing pajamas away from the hotel and toward the beach
    10:00 pm - Kate McCann checks on the children and notices Madeleine is missing
    10:10 pm - Gerry McCann sends Matt Oldfield to the 24-hour reception desk to call the police
    10:30 pm - the resort activates its missing-child protocol

So, given the above timeline, here is the problem with the theory that the McCann's OD'd their child and tried to cover it up:

1. There was only 90 minutes elapsing from when the McCann's left the room to when they reported to the police that she was missing. That is a very small window of time for a) noticing that you overdosed your child, b) hiding the child's body somewhere that won't be found during a frantic search involving a bunch of people, and then c) alerting the front desk and police that your child is missing.
    2. The timeline does not show that Gerry and Kate McCann were back at the hotel room at the same time during this window of time. That means that one of them (Gerry?) would have had to figure out that this horrible thing happened, hide the body themselves, and then go back to the table and tell the wife to keep cool, because of what happened and what he did to handle it and that she had to play along.
    3. Jane Tanner would have to be in on it because she said Gerry walked past her back to the table at 9:05 pm.
    4. Matt Oldfield would have to be in on it, too, because he testified to checking on the room at 9:30 pm.
    5. There are no witnesses testifying to Gerry or Kate carrying a child in pajamas in our outside the resort during or after this window of time.

The timeline is tight, but also a large part of it hangs on accounts by the McCann's and their party. But no matter how I look at it, something inside me can't believe that the parents weren't involved in some way. If nothing else they are complicit by leaving their children alone in a holiday apartment on an evening, and to be quite honest their media martyrdom in spite of this sickens me.
    Novice, A*O and Leesifer like this.

The timeline is tight, but also a large part of it hangs on accounts by the McCann's and their party. But no matter how I look at it, something inside me can't believe that the parents weren't involved in some way. If nothing else they are complicit by leaving their children alone in a holiday apartment on an evening, and to be quite honest their media martyrdom in spite of this sickens me.
    I'm not heavily invested in this one way or the other, but I just don't see anyone being able to pull off something like the OD conspiracy claim. It requires truly fantastical feats of on-the-spot planning under duress and in a foreign country no less. And the willing involvement of friends who have no real reason to go along with it. Plus the lack of anything from nearby witnesses that suggest that the McCann's or their friends had been anywhere outside the grounds of the resort during the period.

Also, the release of LCN DNA analysis that did not confirm that Madeleine's DNA had been found in the boot/trunk of the car. However, the police told the media that it was a 100% match, which supported the conspiracy theory that the McCann's had spirited Madeleine's body away to some other location.

Mo we.be had this shoved down out gullets for years though, and around the same time a doley had their kids removed & put in care for doing something very similar (without the drugging of the child).

Their friends change their stories multiple times and also said that they had seen x when they couldn't because there was a big tree in the way (etc). Not changed like I was on the left/right / he wore a blue hat/green hat but I was in the street / I was in the hotel a mile away... Blahblahblah...

DNA
    "10 September Portuguese police sources suggest DNA tests prove Madeleine's body was in the boot of a car hired by her parents 25 days after she disappeared. Some DNA experts doubt the claims."
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/14/madeleine-mccann-disappearance-timeline
    This.
    Free Charmed.

Thread Information