Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Los Angeles teacher charged with molesting 23 kids

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Eboni, are you saying that you think it is less likely to happen in the environment you worked in? Or just as likely? I wasn't sure.

My kids are the same age as the kids in this story. Almost all classrooms have an additional teacher, usually a student teacher, and there are parent volunteers filtering in and out of the classrooms. Not being pollyanish, but it is difficult for me to see how someone could pull off something like this in that kind of environment.

ETA: I can definitely see an absolutist "obey your teacher" teacher attitude from the parents helping to perpetuate this, but there were so many kids, and so many opportunities for other staff members or students to see what was being done.
    No, I am saying it is easier for it to happen in an environment like the one I was involved in. And I suspect many times it might be green card/legality issues that keeps everyone quiet. Can't say for sure in any case.

The tutoring company I worked for had a policy- we had to report any signs of abuse that we personally observed. That is why I was so grateful that the child hadn't been beaten.

I agree with you on how was it possible for someone else not to detect what was going on?
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

This just makes me SICK. Those poor lambs, how the heck would they know this was totally wrong? Still, you'd think this would cause nightmares or blindfold games at home or that one would mention the cockroaches. Then I can see how parents might think over active imagination & take away the tv.
    Personally, I think he should be boiled in oil.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    Someone needs to kill this motherfucker.
    Yes. YES.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

My blood is boiling reading this story. Prison gangrape would still be far too kind for this monster. He just needs to be impaled, drawn and quartered.

I used to volunteer for a spay/neuter clinic in the area this happened in. It's largely hispanic, immigrant, poor. Parents probably have low education themselves. That's probably why it went on for so long. How horrific. Those poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I used to volunteer for a spay/neuter clinic in the area this happened in. It's largely hispanic, immigrant, poor. Parents probably have low education themselves. That's probably why it went on for so long. How horrific. Those poor kids.
    That just makes it all the more disgusting. Preying on those poor children, knowing he was probably going to get away with it because of the families situation. What a bastard!

This makes me sick. I feel so bad for these innocent kids. This story made me have another talk with my 4.5 year old tonight about bad touches and keeping secrets from me, how to tell me if anyone says they will hurt us or we won't love her if someone does something to her, etc.

I quiz her every once in a while and she tells me the appropriate reactions/what to say to someone if she finds herself in a terrible situation. She said tonight, "I know this stuff and how my privates are privacy. Why are we talking about this again?" I just hope nothing ever happens and if it does she remembers what we talk about and I figure if we talk about it openly and often enough she won't be afraid to tell me about anything.

This just in:

Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    February 1, 2012
    Pedro Baez
    424-558-1929

Community advocates and Civil Rights Leaders demand an immediate investigation of the sexual misconduct that occurred at Miramonte Elementary School.

Los Angeles Community leaders, along with Civil Rights and Organizational leaders have teamed up to demand an expedited investigation of the serious allegations involving sexual misconduct at Miramonte Elementary School.

“With recent statements made public today, it is very disturbing that Mark Berndt, the defendant charged with twenty three counts of sexual misconduct was a known deviant as early as 1990. Why he wasn’t removed from the classroom at that time is unacceptable,” says Earl Ofari Hutchinson, President of the LAUPR.

“What we are requesting is for Los Angeles law enforcement agencies is reassure residents who may be undocumented to come forward without fear of deportation if they are aware of criminal acts. Many of the victim's parents are undocumented,” says Pedro Baez, Vice President of the LAUPR.

“The victims will carry this for the rest of their lives. It’s a shame that these acts had to occur. Our hearts go out to the children and their families,” says Hutchinson.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

OMG. That explains a lot. Poor babes.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Here's more:

“The Current Event”
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    February 2, 2012
    Pedro Baez
    424-558-1929

The tragedy of Miramonte Elementary School will be discussed with Community and Civil Rights Leaders

The Current Event seen on TV 1061 on USTREAM: Feature Films Reality Shows Sketch Comedy Music Videos Documentaries Production Pre / Post., and on www.1061production.com will discuss the unspeakable acts of sexual misconduct that occurred at Miramonte Elementary School this Friday, February 3, 2012 at 8:30PM PST (11:30 PM EST) with Host and Moderator Pedro Baez.

The most unfortunate aspect of this whole matter was that the victims were predominantly Brown children and many of their parents feared if they said anything because of their legal status could be deported.

“This is both a sham and a tragedy,” says Current Event Host Pedro Baez, “Both Black and Brown Civil Rights and Community leaders have been invited to weigh in on this subject.”

On
    The Current Event
    1061Production, full multi-media film and video.recording studio, green screen, sketch comedy,realty shows,shorts,trailers.
    Friday, February 3, 2012, 8:30 to 9:00 PM
    Streamed nationally and globally on TV 1061 on USTREAM: Feature Films Reality Shows Sketch Comedy Music Videos Documentaries Production Pre / Post.

AND:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Deputies recommended in 1994 that an attempted fondling charge should be filed against a teacher now suspected of taking bondage-style photographs of children in his class, but prosecutors refused, saying there wasn't enough evidence, authorities disclosed Thursday.
    The investigation came after a 10-year-old girl claimed elementary school teacher Mark Berndt reached toward her genitals during class and she pushed his hand away, sheriff's Sgt. Dan Scott said.
    The details of the 18-year-old case and other claims by two former students about strange behavior by Berndt surfaced just three days after his arrest.
    The allegations raised further questions about why he wasn't disciplined by school officials, who have been lambasted by some parents for waiting a year to reveal Berndt was suspected of photographing children for sexual thrills.
    Only parents of children identified as victims were told by authorities about the most recent investigation.
    School officials and investigators said proper procedures were followed to investigate and build a case against the teacher.
    Scott said the incident involving the 10-year-old occurred in September 1993 but wasn't reported by the girl's mother to officials at Miramonte Elementary School until the following January.
    The Los Angeles Times said the girl realized the teacher's behavior was wrong and came forward to her mother after seeing an "Oprah" show about inappropriate touching.
    School officials notified the Sheriff's Department, and the results of the investigation were sent to prosecutors with a recommendation to pursue a charge of committing a lewd act on a minor under the age of 14, Scott said.
    "Based on what I read, it was a thorough and complete investigation," said Scott, who noted the investigator who handled the case has retired.
    Sandi Gibbons, a district attorney spokeswoman, said in a statement the case was rejected because there was insufficient evidence to prove a crime had occurred. The statement did not elaborate.
    Berndt denied the allegation at the time.
    Earlier, two women who said they were former students of Berndt told the Times that complaints were made about his odd behavior as far back as 1990.
    Marlene Trujillo, 30, said she and two other fourth-grade classmates told a school counselor that Berndt often moved his hands under his desk, near his lap, at the front of the classroom.
    Trujillo said the counselor "just told us it's not very good to make stories up. She said it was our imagination. It was never talked about again."
    Los Angeles Unified School District Supt. John Deasy told the newspaper he was struggling to determine how the alleged behavior went undetected for so long.
    "How do I make sense out of the fact that this took place over a number of years and no one seemed to know about that?" Deasy said. "I'm definitely trying to understand how someone could not have known."
    Berndt, 61, remained jailed on $23 million bail on felony charges of committing lewd acts on 23 boys and girls, ages 6 to 10, between 2005 and 2010. He could face multiple life sentences if convicted.
    Using a cheap camera, Berndt is suspected of snapping nearly 400 photographs of Miramonte students, some with a giant Madagascar cockroach from a classroom terrarium on their faces.
    Others were blindfolded or had clear tape over their mouths, and some were given sperm-laced cookies to eat as treats in the photo sessions that were treated like games, Scott said.
    Some of Berndt's students defended him, saying he was a kind and generous teacher.
    Angelica Zuniga, 16, now a high school junior was in third grade in 2003 when she had Berndt as a teacher. She said he never asked her or others to do anything strange or to play any inappropriate games.
    "They're calling him 'monster.' He's just not that kind of person," Zuniga said. "He was one of the most amazing teachers out there. He's dedicated his life to us and I want to stick up for him."
    The latest investigation of Berndt began in the fall of 2010 when a film processor became suspicious about the photographs and turned them over to Redondo Beach police, who on Dec. 2, 2010, handed them over to the Sheriff's Department, Scott said.
    Berndt, who taught at Miramonte for more than 30 years ago, was removed from classwork in January 2011 and fired within the month.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/news/artic...#ixzz1lHH61M5u
    Last edited by eboni; February 2nd, 2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: to add more of the story

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Vouch! How was he known to be a deviant in the 90s?
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I don't know if this is posted, but my local news (Los Angeles) were saying this morning that they did research and discovered that a little girl and her mother made a claim against him in 1994 (I think). He put his hand under her desk and touched her, she pushed his hand away and told her mom as soon as she got home. They went to the police, who did an investigation and gave it to the school, who did take it to the district for review. The district then rejected it and the news didn't know the reason why, maybe "lack of evidence". They stated they believed there was another claim against him in 1992 (I think).

They got some explaining to do!

ETA: sorry, I guess this isn't new info, just saw above posts.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    Someone needs to kill this motherfucker.
    He's as good as dead unless he's goes into solitary.

Sometimes I wonder if things are brushed off, kids don't understand always, and when they are old enough they face embarrassment, confusion and doubt. The pictures are the nail in his coffin, but these sickos share pictures, revictimizing these kids continuously.

This story makes me want to cry, vomit and punch someone.

The 88 teachers and 40 support staff at Miramonte Elementary School are being replaced because a full investigation of allegations is disruptive and staffers will require support to get through the scandal, Superintendent John Deasy told parents.
    The move comes after three dozen parents and supporters protested in front of the main doors of the school earlier in the day, some carrying a banner that read: ‘We the parents demand our children be protected from lewd teacher acts.’ Their outrage comes after teacher Mark Berndt, 61, was charged with carrying out lewd acts on 23 children who were aged six to 10. He allegedly blindfolded the students in his classroom and fed them his semen with a spoon. Children were allegedly told it was a ‘tasting game’. Teacher Martin Springer, 49, was arrested on Friday – just four days later – on suspicion of fondling two girls in his classroom. An entire staff has been trained to come into Miramonte’s classrooms to take over teaching for the time being and there will be a psychiatric social worker in every classroom to help students and staff cope with any issues.

‘The last thing I’m worried about is a budget issue,’ Deasy said. ‘The No 1 thing I’m worried about is the students.’

All employees will be paid during the investigation, district spokesman Tom Waldman said. Officials didn’t know how long the investigation will take. School officials cancelled classes at the school on Tuesday and Wednesday as a cooling-off period, Waldman said. All current staff members will report to another location, where they will be interviewed, he said. Deasy emphasized that all staff members being brought into the classroom went through a ‘very rigorous screening process.’

Deasy told reporters after the meeting that he was trying ‘to govern emotion, because that’s important.’

United Teachers Los Angeles said in a statement that union leaders and staff have met with instructors at Miramonte.

‘We support a thorough, vigorous and fair investigation of all allegations,’ the statement said. ‘It’s everyone’s responsibility to ensure that any and all allegations are thoughtfully and carefully investigated.’
    Maria Jimenez, 51, said the parents of children enrolled at Miramonte are divided over the move. ‘Some are in favor. Others are against it because they did this without advising us or consulting us,’ she said.
    More than a quarter of the students at Miramonte were absent from school Monday while parents demanded more protection at the school, with attendance reaching just 72 percent, according to figures from the Los Angeles Unified School District.

The protest was an unusual event in the poor, overwhelmingly Latino neighborhood, where many parents and students struggle with the English language.
    Many people finally gathered around former state senator-turned-lawyer Martha Escutia, who lectured them in Spanish about how to organize for the media and suggested a catchy name for their fledgling movement: Mothers of Miramonte.

As night fell, about 100 angry parents marched from the elementary school to the nearby meeting with administrators. School police watched and sheriff’s deputies were on hand, but there was no violence.
    Berndt, who worked at the school for 32 years, was charged with committing lewd acts on 23 children, ages six to 10, between 2005 and 2010. The acts cited by authorities include blindfolding children and feeding them his own semen in his classroom in what children were allegedly told was a tasting game. Berndt, 61, remains jailed on $23million bail and could face life in prison if convicted. Springer, 49, was arrested on suspicion of fondling two girls in his classroom. He was being held on $2million bail.

Springer taught at Miramonte for his entire career, which started in 1986, the district said. He taught second grade.

The school board is scheduled to discuss firing him in a closed-door meeting Tuesday.

Investigators said they know of no connection between the Miramonte cases. Berndt and Springer know each other and took their classes on at least two joint field trips in the past decade, according to the Los Angeles Times.
    The district set up a toll-free hotline on Monday to receive reports of suspected abuse at Miramonte, said school board President Monica Garcia in a statement. Garcia added that the district would step up efforts to ensure students and staff realized the importance of reporting misconduct.

In the same school district, a janitor at a San Fernando Valley elementary school was arrested on suspicion of committing a lewd act with a child on a campus.
    Paul Adame, 37, was taken into custody after a mother told police on Sunday that he had inappropriate contact with her child during school hours Friday at Germain Elementary School in the Chatsworth area north of Los Angeles, police Capt. Kris Pitcher said at a news conference. The captain declined to provide details but urged anyone who might know of other possible victims to contact police.
    Adame was booked and released on $100,000 bail Monday. It could not be immediately determined if he had an attorney.

There was no immediate connection between the arrest of the janitor and the cases at Miramonte, which is 15 miles (24 kilometers) away in an unincorporated county area of South Los Angeles.

Update: ENTIRE STAFF Of 128 Replaced At School Where Teacher ‘Spoon-Fed SEMEN To His Students’

Quote Originally Posted by maryk View Post
    He's as good as dead unless he's goes into solitary.

Sometimes I wonder if things are brushed off, kids don't understand always, and when they are old enough they face embarrassment, confusion and doubt. The pictures are the nail in his coffin, but these sickos share pictures, revictimizing these kids continuously.

This story makes me want to cry, vomit and punch someone.
    On CNN this morning, they had a woman who was a former teacher say that the type of training that teachers are given can make it even easier for "predator" teachers to prey on little kids. It somehow had to do with psychological training that they receive. The message I got was that even with kids who are trained to be wary, a teacher like this could fairly easily manipulate them and take advantage of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information