Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: Leslie Van Houten, Former Manson Family Member, Granted Parole

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Sorry, but I'm going to have to go with biographer (Larsen) who knew Bundy and wrote an entire book about him (that was praised by Bundy's attorney) instead of someone who wrote 5-10 paragraphs on Gossip Rocks!

But maybe he's got that Rolling Stone degree...YOU DON'T KNOW!
    witchcurlgirl, Trixie and sluce like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I consider myself duly chastened.
    greysfang likes this.

I don't need Rolling Stone. I have my sources at wiki.
    lindsaywhit and sluce like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Gold Member

Gary Ridgeway always freaks me out because he was such a nice husband.

Gold Member

Dennis Rader was also a nice husband.

Gold Member

Really? I thought he was an ultra authoritarian, iron fisted asshole at home and then went to church and looked pious type? I know he freaked out a woman that he worked with, but maybe that was in hindsight?

I thought Rader was supposed to be a nondescript husband, too. Richard Kuklinski was another one who had been portrayed as living a normal family life (while being a hitman/serial killer) but was almost as authoritarian and abusive as his father. I don't know anything about Ridgeway.

Gold Member

I haven't really read into BTK to much. But I thought he was suppose to be an average guy with a really good cover. I could be totally wrong.

He was clearly good at keeping his secrets. Tho, not very good with computers. haha

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    I haven't really read into BTK to much. But I thought he was suppose to be an average guy with a really good cover. I could be totally wrong.

He was clearly good at keeping his secrets. Tho, not very good with computers. haha
    That was exactly the problem. He could have gotten away with it forever, probably. But he decided to taunt the police department again and sent them a disk with some files on it. The police checked for deleted files, restored them, and found metadata on them that mentioned his church and his first name. From there, they cross checked his car (a dark-colored jeep), which they had already seen on security-cam video following another crime that he committed.

But he did seem to have a completely normal family life, contrasted with other serial killers. He had a wife, kids, job. Was a scoutmaster and some kind of leader in his local church.

Gold Member

That was exactly the problem. He could have gotten away with it forever, probably. But he decided to taunt the police department again and sent them a disk with some files on it. The police checked for deleted files, restored them, and found metadata on them that mentioned his church and his first name. From there, they cross checked his car (a dark-colored jeep), which they had already seen on security-cam video following another crime that he committed.

But he did seem to have a completely normal family life, contrasted with other serial killers. He had a wife, kids, job. Was a scoutmaster and some kind of leader in his local church.
    Some are great at concealing it. It helps when you don't act like nor look like a creepy bastard. Radar looked creepy in his mugshots and court appearances. But older pictures make him look far more normal. In the end, he was simply too clever for his own good.

What interests me about someone like him, was the stretches in between murders.

'74, Twice in '77, '85, '86 and '91.

The fact that he was able to control himself in between. Plus to go as long as he did between '91 and the time he started to look to do it again in 2004.

His blood lust was clearly controllable.

Fast fact. He started killing the same month, January 1974, that Ted Bundy attempted his first murder on record.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    What interests me about someone like him, was the stretches in between murders.

'74, Twice in '77, '85, '86 and '91.
    I noticed that, too. But did he confess to any additional murders or appear to be holding back on admitting any more?

Gold Member

I noticed that, too. But did he confess to any additional murders or appear to be holding back on admitting any more?
    Not that I can recall. Authorities seem to believe he only killed ten. No other murders or disappearances fit the description.

Ridgway was described by his girlfriends and wives as being a little kinky sexually, but who mostly treated them well. (He liked to have sex outdoors, and was in to light bondage. He frightened one of his wives or girlfriends by choking her during sex, she described him "going blank" while doing it, and she was afraid he wouldn't stop. In his confessions he stated that his favorite way to kill his victims was to choke them with his forearm while having rear-entry intercourse. Make of that what you will.) Bundy was also capable of being a "normal" boyfriend. Both of them seemed to draw a line between the women in their lives and their victims, whom they saw as dehumaized objects.

I don't know as much about Dennis Rader. I seem to recall from that BTK book, or maybe an interview with one of his children, that he was an authoritarian husband/father who showed flashes of anger and violence that, in hindsight, were chilling, but that he wasn't what they'd call abusive. It seems like one of his kids described him as a "good", and even indulgent father.

Ridgway showed that same increasing cooling off period between murders. 42 victims in 1982-83, 2 in 1984, and then one each in 1986, 1987, 1990, and 1998. Serial killers tend to be at their most active between the ages of 25 and 40, or so. (Ridgway turned 40 in 1989, Rader in 1985.) I've read various theories about that, including decreasing testosterone levels making them less aggressive, and old injuries or a lifetime of physical labor starting to flare up as arthritis. It's interesting to note that the second-to-last victim in Ridgway's 1982-1983 spree, Kim Nelson, was a tall, athletic woman, who managed to hurt Ridgway during the assault, and almost escaped him.

(Before someone jumps on my case, I am in no way implying that normal men over 40 are over the hill, lacking in testosterone, or physically crippled. We're talking about serial killers, deeply fucked up individuals, not normal men.)

Gold Member

It is true. And not just for killers. But for antisocial and psychopath types to slow down as they get older.

Tho, so some killers like Ted or Dahmer, may have not slowed down much till they got much older.

Dahmer was crazier than most of them, even though he managed to hold a job. If you've ever read the book his father wrote, or the graphic novel My Friend Dahmer, written by a guy who knew him in high school, it details just how "off" he was, even as a child. If he hadn't have been caught (and running an amateur embalming/human taxidermy lab in an apartment is NOT the way to "not get caught") I think he would have killed himself, or died from the effects of alcoholism before he reached 40. (He was known to consume a truly astonishing amount of alcohol, and had since his pre-teen years.)

Dahmer was a little different from a lot of serial killers in that although I wouldn't go so far as to call it genuine remorse, he did have a degree of insight into himself and his crimes. He's a lot like Edmund Kemper in that way. Dahmer's and Kemper's interviews remind me of each other quite a bit.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread Information