Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: Leslie Van Houten, Former Manson Family Member, Granted Parole

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Considering the similarity to the Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka case, I'm not surprised.

“The only violent thing she has ever done in her entire life was this crime...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

If they release any of the Manson Family members involved in the Tate/LaBianca murders, it will probably be her. She wasn't along for the Tate murders at all, and she was less involved with the LaBianca killings than anyone else who was in the house that night. (It's questionable whether she killed anyone, although she's certainly guilty as an accessory, and she stabbed Rosemary LaBianca's body multiple times after she was dead.)

I predict the governor will block her release, even though the parole board recommended it. That's what happened with Family member Bruce Davis, who, like Leslie Van Houten, was convicted of two murders (two other murders, not Tate/LaBianca). He was granted parole in 2013, 2014, and 2015, and blocked every time. And he's not personally as notorious as she is.

As someone from a country without the death penalty, life imprisonment is the worst punishment there is. Our most despicable murderers will never be released because their sentence is basically deprivation of freedom until death. People like Martin Bryant responsible for the Port Arthur massacre, or Ivan Milat who hunted and killed backpackers in the forest for sport, will NEVER be released. I hope they all become rehabilitated (they haven't) and I'm not opposed to my taxes paying for their education so they might one day manage to contribute something useful to society, but they lost the right to walk around in the community when they did what they did.
    twitchy2.0 and lindsaywhit like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    According to the original article, Van Houten was originally sentenced to death and would have been worm food a long time ago if People v Anderson didn't overturn her sentence.

Moreover, she was one of the Manson member who defended Manson to the hilt and claimed during the trial she wasn't influenced by him at all. She apparently even claimed responsibility for a crime she didn't commit just so she could help Manson by looking like she already had murderous tendencies.

On the other hand, she apparently gave a lot of information about who (besides Manson) was involved or wasn't involved in murders and helped identify Linda Kasabian as not directly involved, and Kasabian became the prosecution's most valuable witness.
    This is how polluted our media are: I instantly read Kardeshian instead of the real name. Oy.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

i doubt the governor will sign off on this.
    but i'm with witch and kris, she's nowhere near as bad as some of the murderers who have been granted parole and the only reason she hasn't is because of the notoriety of the manson murders, not her actions.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i doubt the governor will sign off on this.
    but i'm with witch and kris, she's nowhere near as bad as some of the murderers who have been granted parole and the only reason she hasn't is because of the notoriety of the manson murders, not her actions.
    To me, that doesn't mean she should be out as much as it means that those others should have stayed in. I think that's one reason we can't get away from the barbaric death penalty. If someone commits a heinous enough crime to get a life sentence, it should actually be a life sentence and while I don't agree with it, I do understand why some people would prefer to just kill them and have it over and done with (even though it's never as simple as that.)

I think that's one reason we can't get away from the barbaric death penalty.
    and yet, so many countries have (in fact, the vast majority of the western world) and they're doing just fine. what exactly has keeping the death penalty legal done for the US?

sluce, witchcurlgirl, Brah and 2 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The US should be a patchwork of red, orange, and blue on that map, which is one of the biggest problems with the death penalty. Whether it's imposed or not can be a matter of what county within a state the trial is held in. (Not to mention how much lawyer the defendant can afford.)

Quote Originally Posted by VeraGemini View Post
    (Not to mention how much lawyer the defendant can afford.)
    Huge part of it. Huge.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Donald?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by VeraGemini View Post
    The US should be a patchwork of red, orange, and blue on that map, which is one of the biggest problems with the death penalty. Whether it's imposed or not can be a matter of what county within a state the trial is held in. (Not to mention how much lawyer the defendant can afford.)
    Because the federal government has the death penalty, it can be imposed in any state in the US regardless of the state law.
    sputnik likes this.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    and yet, so many countries have (in fact, the vast majority of the western world) and they're doing just fine. what exactly has keeping the death penalty legal done for the US?
    You get the satisfaction of putting down someone like John Wayne Gacy, Albert Fish, William Bonin, Oba Chandler, Jack Gilbert Graham, Timothy McVeigh, Charles Starkweather, and Ted Bundy. That is some awesomeness right there.
    holly likes this.

^I get a lot of satisfaction knowing our worst are growing old in maximum security. I wouldn't get the same feeling if the government was allowed to murder them legally. And there's always the chance they're innocent - not much awesomeness in a posthumous pardon.

And it's obviously not much of a deterrent.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information