Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: At least 12 dead after shooting at Paris magazine

There are conflicting accounts now concerning whether they caught them. One CNN breaking report said one dead and two in custody. But it looks like it was retracted.

Just read one shooter has turned himself in and 2 remain at large.

https://gma.yahoo.com/12-dead-terror...opstories.html

The youngest suspect in today's deadly attack at a satirical newspaper's office in Paris has turned himself in, French police said, while the other two are “on the loose, armed and dangerous."

French authorities have named the three suspects who they believe are responsible for the shooting deaths of 12 people, U.S. law enforcement officials told ABC News.

Officials identified the suspects as Said Kouachi and Cherif Kouachi, two relatives both in their 30s, and 18-year-old Hamyd Mourad, who is in custody.

Cherif Kouachi, 34, is on Global watch list, ABC News has confirmed.

Kouachi, along with six others, was sentenced in May 2008 to 3 years in prison for terrorism in Paris. All seven men were accused of sending about a dozen young Frenchmen to join Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq, after funneling them through radical religious establishments in Syria and Egypt. French authorities believed Kouachi had been planning to go to Syria for training in 2005.

Paris Deputy Mayor Patrick Klugman earlier today told ABC News that two of the assailants went inside the offices of Charlie Hebdo and listed off the names of their targets before shooting them execution style. The third man was waiting outside the building.

The French president called the attack a "terrorist operation."

The shooting at the office of Charlie Hebdo was a "cowardly attack," said President Francois Hollande when he was at the scene this morning.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

A*O

I wonder if this 18yr old handed himself in after realising the enormity of what he did. I'm not being sarcastic (for a change), he may actually be genuinely remorseful. Or maybe he's hoping for a show trial where he can proclaim his religious/political agenda to a watching world.

Salman Rushdie can be a pompous prick but I applaud him for this:

"Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms. This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today. I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity. ‘Respect for religion’ has become a code phrase meaning ‘fear of religion.’ Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect."
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

It breaks my heart. I am not religious by I sort of hold art and satire sacred, even my son goofs around with his cartoons and writings and to think that someone would disagree with what you say or write that they could justify murder. It's beyond wrong, this is like burning people at the stake or torturing them because they have and idea. Fuck that.
    sputnik likes this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Salman Rushdie can be a pompous prick but I applaud him for this:

"Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms. This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today. I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity. ‘Respect for religion’ has become a code phrase meaning ‘fear of religion.’ Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect."
    this to infinity.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I'm so sorry guys. We Americans know how hard something like this is, and it must be a double shock for those of you who don't have much in the way of gun violence.
    I'm reminded of of the mass shooting and bombing in Norway a while back, by the right-wing nutjob who shall remain nameless. It's all horrible, but there is something extra monstrous about perpetrating that kind of violence against people who have comparatively so little experience of it. Paris, not Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I will not condemn the whole for the acts of a few. Just as I did not condemn all Catholics or Protestants.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...ch#.qs87znLdzD

22 Heartbreaking Cartoons From Artists Responding To The Charlie Hebdo Shooting
    Beautiful responses. Especially: “the world has become so serious that humor is a risky profession.” And:

That one...

It's the rest of the world who must be taught and convinced not to condemn non-violent, mainstream Islam right along with the extremists. I do fear that this sort of thing will inevitably inspire violent reprisals against ordinary people who've never hurt anybody.

As a lifelong pagan agnostic intellectual nerd (deep breath), I'm not sorry to say I've zero patience with Islam or Christianity. Obnoxious, intolerant, and shitstirring ceaselessly for over 1,000 years! But because I'm not an insane, controlling asshole, I also believe that other people might as well enjoy them to their heart's content. Just, not on my time! And stop sending people to my door to bother me! Get off my fucking lawn or I'll sic my watchcat on you!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Every newspaper/magazine editor in the world should grow some balls and actually publish the "offensive" cartoons so we can decide for ourselves if they were worth being shot in cold blood for. I suspect not.
    This may actually be happening. So let's hope the cartoons go viral. It would be great if they were everywhere--they can't shut us all up! It's the best worldwide fuck you possible.

Here is one site, for starters:

They Can't Kill Everyone: Here Are the Charlie Hebdo Cartoons That Led To the Murder of 12 People | The Daily Banter

I'd copy/paste 'em all but I don't speak for everyone here. They're funny. I love those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    It breaks my heart. I am not religious by I sort of hold art and satire sacred, even my son goofs around with his cartoons and writings and to think that someone would disagree with what you say or write that they could justify murder. It's beyond wrong, this is like burning people at the stake or torturing them because they have an idea. Fuck that.
    Exactly!! This!!! Thank you.
    yanna and Geest like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

A police woman was killed in Paris now, my morning news show is breaking the story.
    effie2 and greysfang like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

and a street cleaner critically injured too,plus a big explosion near Lyon at a shop near a mosque..
    I just saw a video at Skynews of Notre Dame,s bells tolling in mourning and people in front holding umbrellas ,heads down,praying..it really breaks my heart and i wish it to stop right now..
    greysfang likes this.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    A police woman was killed in Paris now, my morning news show is breaking the story.
    I was watching CNN and HLN but didn't know about that until you mentioned it. I wonder who that shooter is and if he is somehow linked with the other guys:
    Paris (CNN)As a nationwide hunt continues for two men who attacked the office of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, the nation got rattled once again Thursday -- with another deadly shooting, this time of a police officer, in the southern suburbs of Paris.

That's where, in the Montrouge suburb, a gunman dressed in black -- like the Charlie Hebdo attackers -- and apparently wearing a bulletproof vest, got out of a car as police officers were dealing with a traffic accident.
    He opened fire, shooting and killing a female officer.
    Then, like those behind the Charlie Hebdo massacre, he got away

My country is at war
    effie2 likes this.

On reddit they had a picture of the police officer who was shot:

He had such a kind face. RIP Ahmed Merabet
    Brookie and Cinnamon*Girl like this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

I wonder how Allah would feel about two guys avenging his honor by executing an innocent muslim father of two in the streets like an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFolie View Post
    My country is at war
    I honestly thought you were over reacting last night,you know,shock and such.But my cousin said the same thing a few minutes later and my heart sank.I hope not,i hope beautiful,cultured France will get over it and stand united and healed..

I went to bed at 5 a.m I was so shocked. And, very selfishly, I hope my mum (who's from Algeria) won't get into trouble from people who might target North African people in retaliation. Ok, she has repudiated her Algerian citizenship, has taken on a French first name, is not Muslim, is super-duper integrated, doesn't look too typically Algerian, blah blah blah... that's awfully selfish of me, I know. Unbeknowst to her, I've even sent her a cross to wear through the mail so she doesn't get harassed by "ethnic French" people when things turn to shit.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, not thinking about other people who might get targeted.

no,i know how you feel,it is only natural..my cousin ordered her sons back to their village 70klm from paris and i hate to say it she told me thank god they are fair..she is greek,born and raised in cairo egypt,married to a spanish husband and as non racist as it could be..fear is a bitch...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information