Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: At least 12 dead after shooting at Paris magazine

A*O

But we must be mindful that this attack was certainly carried out by mentally ill lone wolf gunmen. Nothing to do with Islam OK?
    effie2, LaFolie, piperdiva and 1 others like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I'm speechless. I'm so horribly sorry for their loved ones. I literally have no words.
    Jazzy likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Love the photo on front page of Le Monde.
    Le Monde.fr - Actualit√© √* la Une Translated to state:

"Charlie Hebdo" targeted by a terrorist attack, writing decimated278

After the terrorist attack that killed 12 people dead, tens of thousands of people demonstrated their solidarity throughout France. The shooters are still at large but were identified by police.

En savoir plus sur http://www.lemonde.fr/#CqxZV5piFDpa0zHc.99
    Honey, Jazzy and Tati like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

A*O

"there's not a lot of time left for Britain and Europe to change course and reject a future that will consume them" Mark Steyn

Despite the defiant banners and protests I AM afraid. We need to stop dancing around the camel in the room and face some cold, hard truths now. These brave French journalists dared to speak out and they died for it. That's how the "religion of peace" deals with anyone who doesn't submit to its pre-Enlightenment medieval view of the world. Our political leaders, judiciary and law enforcement have been intimidated and cowed by political correctness to remain passive and compliant.

I am very angry.
    Dame Edna Everage

But its not the religion, its a very small percentage of fuckheads who happen to be of that religion. And since you can't tell who by eyeball, you think everyone of that religion should be persecuted? Really? What are you suggesting, building a new Coliseum?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

A very small percentage of 1 billion people is still a lot of people. For example, if only 1% of 1 billion people thought that offenses against their religion warrant an extrajudicial assassination, that is still about 10 Million people.
    A*O, LaFolie, llamamama and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    A very small percentage of 1 billion people is still a lot of people. For example, if only 1% of 1 billion people thought that offenses against their religion warrant an extrajudicial assassination, that is still about 10 Million people.
    But can you eyeball the 10 Million that might be dangerous? If you can then please feel free to start laying brick on the coliseum.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

A*O

OK greys, what's your suggestion for dealing with this problem? Western culture, values, society, freedom is now under sustained and very well organised (and financed) attack. I'm very sorry that the vast majority of peaceful, law abiding Muslims are being tainted by the actions of their jihadi extremist brethren so why aren't they speaking out or staging public protests to condemn them? Where are their moderate, rational, calming voices in all this? *crickets*
    Dame Edna Everage

We are bombing them in the east and pretty much every westernized nation has a spy agency hunting them at home, what exactly do you suggest should be done like I asked you the first time. Crickets my ass.
    faithanne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    But can you eyeball the 10 Million that might be dangerous? If you can then please feel free to start laying brick on the coliseum.
    I think that's already being done. Via stuff like the no fly list, exchanges of information between various intelligence agencies, etc. My concern is that we have a tiny percentage that actually equates to a pretty big number.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    OK greys, what's your suggestion for dealing with this problem? Western culture, values, society, freedom is now under sustained and very well organised (and financed) attack. I'm very sorry that the vast majority of peaceful, law abiding Muslims are being tainted by the actions of their jihadi extremist brethren so why aren't they speaking out or staging public protests to condemn them? Where are their moderate, rational, calming voices in all this? *crickets*
    There is a contingent of muslims who are protesting these acts. NotInMyName is one movement. But just like I don't feel particularly guilty about stuff that evangelical christians believe, a lot of mainstream, nonviolent muslims don't particularly feel like they need to apologize for extremist branches.
    sluce, Kathie_Moffett and Tati like this.

A*O

There is a fundamental clash of values here which have managed to sometimes uneasily but mostly peacefully coexist for the most part for hundreds of years. That is now changing and we should be very worried because the change is being driven by extreme acts of violence.
    Dame Edna Everage

I will not condemn the whole for the acts of a few. Just as I did not condemn all Catholics or Protestants.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...ch#.qs87znLdzD

22 Heartbreaking Cartoons From Artists Responding To The Charlie Hebdo Shooting
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

It Sadly Unclear Whether This Article Will Put Lives At Risk | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

It Sadly Unclear Whether This Article Will Put Lives At Risk
    News • World • News • ISSUE 51•01 • Jan 7, 2015

PARIS—Following the fatal terrorist attack Wednesday at the offices of French newspaper Charlie Hebdo, sources confirmed this afternoon that it is sadly not yet clear whether this very article will ultimately put human lives at risk.

According to totally and utterly depressing early reports, given the tragic deaths of 12 people, it is impossible to say with absolute certainty that this 500-word article will not make those involved in its writing—and potentially even those not involved—the targets of brutal and unconscionable violence.

“The heartbreaking tragedy that unfolded in Paris today is the result of a perverted, hateful ideology that has no place in the civilized world,” is a quote that someone or some group of people might be reading at this very moment and, in what unfortunately serves to illustrate the horrifying state of modern society, interpreting as an unforgivable insult against their beliefs that must be met with the cold-blooded murder of innocent people. “It’s just so terrible and senseless. I mean, how can something like this even happen?”

“I’m at a loss for words, to be perfectly honest,” is a further quote that would hopefully not enrage anyone to the point of actually taking another human being’s life, but which, for the love of God, conceivably could.

Those familiar with the situation told reporters that if someone were to read the very words written here and be offended by them, it would be reasonable to expect them to be upset and—at worst—write an angry letter to this publication expressing their ire in a relatively calm and composed fashion. Reports further confirmed that to somehow use this article—or indeed any article or any piece of self-expression—as a pretext to violence, let alone deadly violence, is simply impossible to justify and should never, ever transpire in human civilization.

Then again, sources added, that’s what actually happened today.

Sickened, distraught, and profoundly sad sources further added it was fully within the realm of possibility that it could happen again.

“Today’s horrific events only reinforce the idea that we cannot and will not let extremist zealots dictate what we can and cannot say,” is a comment that we will quote, but one that we do with a legitimate sense of uncertainty over whether it could incite an attack against the speaker or their loved ones, a sense of uncertainty that feels awful, grotesque, and wholly unnecessary in this day and age. “We live in a society in which every person is entitled to his or her own opinions, and every person is entitled to express those opinions without fear of harm. And that isn’t changing, whether a small minority of psychotic, murderous degenerates like it or not.”

At press time, although the consequences of this article are reportedly still unclear and actual human lives may hang in the balance, sources confirmed that the best thing to do—really the only thing to do—is to simply put it out there and just hope that it does some good.
    A*O and Kathie_Moffett like this.

A*O

Every newspaper/magazine editor in the world should grow some balls and actually publish the "offensive" cartoons so we can decide for ourselves if they were worth being shot in cold blood for. I suspect not.
    Dame Edna Everage

i don't even know what to say. horrible stuff happening everywhere is pretty much my job so i'm pretty immune at this point but this story is killing me.

i used to read their cartoons growing up, in charlie hebdo and also some of them drew for a comics monthly that i used to read as a teenager. these guys were great, they were funny, irreverent, mai '68 lefties, from that great generation of french intellectuals. this is a huge loss.
    Last edited by sputnik; January 7th, 2015 at 07:07 PM.
    Kathie_Moffett, effie2 and yanna like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information