Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: Jodi Arias on Trial for Murdering Travis Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    ^ Thanks. I agree yesterday was riveting! I disagree with Nancy Grace et al that it wasn't a good day for the defense. I think the ex's testimony demonstrated perfectly that Travis was leading a "double life" so to speak. Again, I don't know that he abused Jodi, but there was clearly a difference in the way he treated the "nice" girlfriend.
    I think what hurt the defense was stuff that came out during cross examination. I can't quote it verbatim, but it seemed to go along these lines:

1. Travis was never abusive toward the "nice" girlfriend, Lisa Daidone. Never pressured her for sex.
    2. Daidone admitted to referring to Jodi being a "stalker".
    3. Daidone almost came out and said that Jodi had destroyed Travis' property but the questioning was cut short and both attorneys were called into chambers.

I agree, it wasn't a slam dunk, but he didn't come across as wonderful either. I wouldn't expect there to be a pattern of abuse with the "nice" girlfriend because he was trying to maintain his Mormon persona with her, and his Mormon friends. And I don't think she would have tolerated it for a minute, it was quite obvious that she followed her faith, unlike him. He didn't have to keep up appearances when he was alone with Jodi. And I think part of the reason the "nice" girl thought Jodi was a stalker is because that's what Travis told her. (No, I'm not cheating on you honey, she's stalking me!) Yes, the tire-slashing would add credence to it, but that wasn't admitted so who knows if the jury will make that inference.

p.s. a couple links I found for anyone like me, who was looking for background info but doesn't want to wade through 20 threads at websleuths

Times Publications | The Readers are Here

Jodi Arias Case: Twists And Delays In Alleged Femme Fatale's Murder Trial
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I agree, it wasn't a slam dunk, but he didn't come across as wonderful either. I wouldn't expect there to be a pattern of abuse with the "nice" girlfriend because he was trying to maintain his Mormon persona with her, and his Mormon friends. And I don't think she would have tolerated it for a minute, it was quite obvious that she followed her faith, unlike him. He didn't have to keep up appearances when he was alone with Jodi. And I think part of the reason the "nice" girl thought Jodi was a stalker is because that's what Travis told her. (No, I'm not cheating on you honey, she's stalking me!) Yes, the tire-slashing would add credence to it, but that wasn't admitted so who knows if the jury will make that inference.

p.s. a couple links I found for anyone like me, who was looking for background info but doesn't want to wade through 20 threads at websleuths

Times Publications | The Readers are Here

Jodi Arias Case: Twists And Delays In Alleged Femme Fatale's Murder Trial
    Those are pretty interesting articles and I'm still reading them. I don't see at this point where the defense has demonstrated that Travis was abusive in his relationship with Jodi. You could definitely regard it as deceitful to be two timing two women, though.

If anyone was demonstrating a dual-personality, it would be Arias, who has told two whopping lies to the police (before the camera card had been recovered) and even lied in her own diary.
    MsChiff likes this.

Don't get me wrong, I think she's batshit crazy, and guilty as hell! And so far, I haven't seen anything that adds credence to self-defense. But I do think they've managed to tarnish the victim's character a bit. He used her, he led her on, he gave her lots of mixed signals. Again, most guys would not continue to have sex with a woman who stalked them, slashed their tires (twice!) etc. At this point the defense has absolutely nothing to lose, it's a first-degree murder death penalty case. So if they could get a second-degree conviction, or even get the death penalty off the table, it would be a victory. But with a murder this vicious, there might be nothing that could mitigate the charges. It's so hard to predict what a jury will latch onto. And even more so with a young, white, pretty defendant.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Maybe the issue is that they've a jury reluctant to vote for the big, bad Death Penalty; that was storyline in an early Medium episode. Are there options not resulting in the death penalty that are available to this jury?
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Your are probably right Kat and the fact they may think she is young and pretty. Also it's possible they are a bunch of dumb fucks that watch too much CSI and expect all the evidence to be like a tv script.

I have links to some horrific photos if you want them to see what she done to this poor guy, his injuries were horrific. Let me know if you want them but be prepared they are gruesome.

Don't get me wrong, I think she's batshit crazy, and guilty as hell! And so far, I haven't seen anything that adds credence to self-defense. But I do think they've managed to tarnish the victim's character a bit. He used her, he led her on, he gave her lots of mixed signals. Again, most guys would not continue to have sex with a woman who stalked them, slashed their tires (twice!) etc. At this point the defense has absolutely nothing to lose, it's a first-degree murder death penalty case. So if they could get a second-degree conviction, or even get the death penalty off the table, it would be a victory. But with a murder this vicious, there might be nothing that could mitigate the charges. It's so hard to predict what a jury will latch onto. And even more so with a young, white, pretty defendant.
    I think I agree with about 99% of what you are saying.

I have to admit, I do not get, at all, the idea that he would continue to see someone who had slashed his tires twice. Quit frankly, it sounds like if he was willing to put up with that (and never retaliated against her or cut her off completely) that he was just as abused by her as she is claiming to be by him.

Gloria Allred was on Jane Velez Mitchell last night. Mitchell introduced Allred by saying that Allred has been an outspoken defender of women, but you can tell that Allred wanted nothing to do with Arias' cause - no sympathetic statements or defense. All I can recall Allred saying was that Arias' defense was basically a Hail Mary play by the defense team because they had no other option.

Finally, I hear the defense is going to play tapes recorded by Jodi where Travis says that there is no long-term future for them and they he is going to Mexico with another woman. But then, the call lapses into phone sex between the two. I don't get it. How is this possibly going to help Arias? First, she is surreptitiously taping calls with Travis - which is creepy, in my opinion. Second, it would seem to me that the tape would indicate that Arias' relationship with Travis was consensual and hardly controlling. Just because someone is someone else's booty call, doesn't mean it's a controlling, abusive relationship. To me, what they had seems to be a highly dysfunctional, unhealthy sexual relationship where neither of them controlled the other.

Also, I wanted to mention that I could have sworn I heard that one of Arias' former boyfriends testified that she took surreptitious photos of him in the shower. I think the significance of that is that taking naughty photos was probably not something that Travis forced on Arias, but rather something that was just a recreational part of the relationships she was in and certainly not new to her.

We will never know what led Jodi to snap. But here's my imagined scenario.
    She makes a last ditch effort to get Travis to realize she is the one for him. She knows he's leaving for his trip to Mexico.
    She gets to his place hoping to connect with him the only way she knows how and the only way he'll let her. Sexually.
    Hoping he will finally see the light and fall in love and take her to Mexico and make her his wife ect. She pulls out all the stops in the bedroom. Braids and all. They have some shower fun and he causually says, you know this changes nothing between us Jodi.
    She goes off the rails right then. I think she shoots him first contrary to the report. It is how she so quickly and efficently stops him. T
    hen she starts her stabbing rampage. In her final fit of the rage killing she slashes his throat.
    I think it was totally premeditated hence the gun and knife. But I think she went there hoping for a different ending, just in case she had plan B.
    I think she's a closet rager. I heard Nancy Grace talk about how Jodi beat her 5 y/o brother with a baseball bat.
    Everyone describes her as very put together, quiet and professional. I think she had a hard time keeping up that persona.
    Trixie, MsChiff, DeadDwarf and 2 others like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    We will never know what led Jodi to snap. But here's my imagined scenario.
    She makes a last ditch effort to get Travis to realize she is the one for him. She knows he's leaving for his trip to Mexico.
    She gets to his place hoping to connect with him the only way she knows how and the only way he'll let her. Sexually.
    Hoping he will finally see the light and fall in love and take her to Mexico and make her his wife ect. She pulls out all the stops in the bedroom. Braids and all. They have some shower fun and he causually says, you know this changes nothing between us Jodi.
    She goes off the rails right then. I think she shoots him first contrary to the report. It is how she so quickly and efficently stops him. T
    hen she starts her stabbing rampage. In her final fit of the rage killing she slashes his throat.
    I think it was totally premeditated hence the gun and knife. But I think she went there hoping for a different ending, just in case she had plan B.
    I think she's a closet rager. I heard Nancy Grace talk about how Jodi beat her 5 y/o brother with a baseball bat.
    Everyone describes her as very put together, quiet and professional. I think she had a hard time keeping up that persona.
    What's weird to me, though, is that just hours after killing Travis, she hopped in a car and went on to stay with a different prospect (a new boyfriend). To me, it doesn't seem to connote that Travis was "The One". She was already "moving on".

I wonder if she was in a black out state after the murder. Or if she's a total sociopath nothing she does will make sense to us normal folk.
    MsChiff and Jazzy like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Gloria Allred was on Jane Velez Mitchell last night. Mitchell introduced Allred by saying that Allred has been an outspoken defender of women, but you can tell that Allred wanted nothing to do with Arias' cause - no sympathetic statements or defense. All I can recall Allred saying was that Arias' defense was basically a Hail Mary play by the defense team because they had no other option.

Finally, I hear the defense is going to play tapes recorded by Jodi where Travis says that there is no long-term future for them and they he is going to Mexico with another woman. But then, the call lapses into phone sex between the two. I don't get it. How is this possibly going to help Arias? First, she is surreptitiously taping calls with Travis - which is creepy, in my opinion. Second, it would seem to me that the tape would indicate that Arias' relationship with Travis was consensual and hardly controlling. Just because someone is someone else's booty call, doesn't mean it's a controlling, abusive relationship. To me, what they had seems to be a highly dysfunctional, unhealthy sexual relationship where neither of them controlled the other.

Also, I wanted to mention that I could have sworn I heard that one of Arias' former boyfriends testified that she took surreptitious photos of him in the shower. I think the significance of that is that taking naughty photos was probably not something that Travis forced on Arias, but rather something that was just a recreational part of the relationships she was in and certainly not new to her.
    I think Allred is right, and I don't really buy the abuse defense either, but it's all they've got. The physical evidence is overwhelming, and Jodi did finally confess to the crime. I heard on one of the shows that she actually tried to plead guilty to second-degree murder but the prosecution refused to accept the plea. Short of pleading guilty and accepting the death penalty, there's not much else for the defense to do but try to mitigate with whatever they can.

Re the sex tape, I doubt it will show any abuse per se, but will allow the defense to continue to chip away at the victim's character and his "fake" reputation as a devout Mormon. That instead of cutting all ties with Jodi, he continued to exploit her desperation to keep him. It could backfire, but again, I think they're using what they can.

I also think the ex-bf who testified said something about shower photos. He also said they had they had an "adventurous" sex life, so no, I don't think that's helpful to the defense. If anything, it shows Jodi was more sexually experienced than Travis, which I'm guessing is absolutely true.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    What's weird to me, though, is that just hours after killing Travis, she hopped in a car and went on to stay with a different prospect (a new boyfriend). To me, it doesn't seem to connote that Travis was "The One". She was already "moving on".
    I actually think the visit with the new boyfriend was done for the sole purpose of an alibi. Remember she initially told the police she hadn't seen Travis in a few months, and denied that her trip took her to Mesa. She was covering her tracks, and also trying to show she had "moved on." Even though she obviously hadn't.
    sprynkles, MsChiff and Jazzy like this.

sprynkles and Trixie like this.

^^ I think your right Trixie. The visit too the new guy was to set up an alibi. Also along the way to visit him she disposed of the gun, the knife and the floor mats out of her rental car, and who knows what else.

She mutilated Travis his wounds were horrific, this was no self defense. And now the defense is mutilating his character, while she sits in that court room wanting to be vindicated.

It's very sad to watch.
    sprynkles and MsChiff like this.

Nope, didn't see those pics, not until you posted the link!

Jazzy, I hope this jury is smarter than the Anthony jury, that's all I can say. There is no question of guilt--she confessed, or premeditation--she had weapons handy--and so much rage in the kill itself, so I can't see an acquittal, but who knows if something will sway them against going for first degree murder/death penalty.
    Jazzy and MsChiff like this.

Trixie, yes fingers crossed. The Anthony jurors were a cluster fuck of pure dumb.
    Trixie and MsChiff like this.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information