Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: Jodi Arias on Trial for Murdering Travis Alexander

I found the police interviews so interesting. Especially with Jodi's parents. I am assuming the court ordered shrinks did not see them. If they don't have the whole story, this is all just stupid.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Jodi Arias

@Jodiannarias

Jane Velez Mitchell just said this is really Jodi Arias' twitter account.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    LaViolette said she first interviewed Jodi in jail in Oct 2011. So I'm thinking it was after the defense shifted to self-defense. I remember that Samuels was on board earlier, when she was still sticking to her ninja story, because he discussed it on the stand.

I think Martinez is always that way, I saw a clip on HLN from another trial and it was the same YES OR NO staccato. He supposedly has a great track record as a prosecutor, but I agree, he just never lets up.
    When I got home tonight, I watched about 10 minutes of the jury's questions to Laviolette before I was about to freaking throw up. I think Arias' entire defense team works backward from the supposition that Jodi acted in self defense and then just fills in the blanks with whatever story would support that, going backwards in time. I realize that this is a defense team's responsibility, but I'm not sure I ever saw something so preposterous and cynical.

Why I think Laviolette is a total shill: Here you have a murder victim, who 1) said that he was concerned about the behavior of his ex, 2) was killed by his ex, 3) have recorded 911 phone calls from friends at the murder scene who discovered his body and whose FIRST GUESS is that it was Jodi, 4) the victim was killed three times over, and 5) the defendant has been caught in a lie twice about the circumstances of the murder. And somehow, Arias is the victim. I realize that this particular outrage is not even an ant's fart in the context of all the other outrages in the world, but boy does this piss me off.
    Callalily and garysgirl1999 like this.

Silver Member

I wonder if her parents attempted to get help for her when she was younger.

Silver Member

I raised my eyebrows at her, 'Is Snow White a Battered Woman?' spiels. However, I was really done with Laviolette when she said that Jodi wasn't a liar, that she was just a frightened young woman. I was done with her when Juan Martinez asked her if the word stalking was under the word terrorism on HER continuum and she said it she couldn't answer yes or no. He then proceeded to asked to repeat every word on the continuum until she got to those two words and then she said, 'yes the word stalking does appear under the word terrorism on the continuum, but context...' HUH? That's not what was asked! That whole thing took 10 mins and it was totally ridiculous. That was all LaViolette. She lost me when Juan flat out asked her if Jodi moving to Mesa, slashing Travis' tires, crawling through doggy doors, watching him have sex with another woman outside his window after she was asked to leave was stalking behavior and she flat out said NO, that wasn't stalking behavior. He asked her that several times, her answer was no. HUH? Her inability to answer yes or no questions, after the defense asks her and she answers and waxes poetic and Juan asks her and she 'can't answer yes or no' is not all Juan's fault. When she's questioned by the defense, she's a Jodi/Travis emotional physical sex expert. When Juan questions her it's, 'all I'm here for is to give my opinion on domestic violence. I don't know about those other things, Mr. Martinez.' Ummm...that's not what you told Jennifer Wilmont when she would veer off into certain areas. A lot of this 'war' of wills is strictly LaViolette. If Juan asked her if the sky was blue in her professional opinion, she would give her patented, 'It's not a yes or no answer, Mr. Martinez', as she has dozens of times. When she said she wanted to put him on time out, I thought was very amatuer at the Apollo-ish. I was glad when he started objecting her non answers to the judge and she starting sustaining Juan's objections.

It's like she saw Samuels being torn apart and went up there with her dukes up to spar with Juan, but in doing that she's shredding her credibility by going all around the mulberry bush and around the block to true blue yes or no questions or flat out being non responsive. Juan can't help that he has to work with what he's given; that part is on LaViolette. If she wasn't so focused on Juan getting the 'better' of her and answer the damn questions, then it wouldn't have gone this far or gone on this long.

I think LaViolette is a sweet ol mee-maw who got caught up in Jodi's crocodile tear routine. Maybe she imagined Jodi being her granddaughter and wants to help her, but Jodi has clearly got this sweet old woman in the palm of her hand. She can't even admit Jodi is a proven liar, which she is. All she had to say was, 'yes, Jodi has a habit of lying, but I believe her abuse blah blah blah,' but to sit there and say she's NOT a liar we all lie and compare this murdering trollop to Bill Clinton and Lance Armstrong and say, 'well they have lied, too!' My mouth just dropped.

She has no credibility. She is just if not more combative as Juan Martinez and if she would just calm down and answer the questions instead of the non answers, she'd help Arias more. It's like she is blind when it comes to Jodi. She keeps talking about taking everything in, but the bulk of everything comes from Jodi! Oh, but she's not a liar, she's just a frightened young thing. GTFOH!

Sorry for the book!

Thanks for the analysis, Calalilly.

What really makes me think that is just a paid apologist for Arias is her utterly ridiculous blowing off of all of Arias' lies, and how that doesn't affect Arias' credibility. I believe that at one point she says to Martinez, "If Jodi Arias were a liar (a habitual liar, I think is what they are referring to), she would have told a better lie." Huh???? She did tell a great lie. The only thing that gave her away (put her at the scene), as far as I can tell, was the camera. And even then it took hours for the detective to break her down. She was still denying it was her in the photos until he showed her a full shot of her face. When I see something like that, I see a pathological liar.
    Callalily and garysgirl1999 like this.

Silver Member

I had the feeling money changed hands when Laviolette took the stand. She is dragging this out as much as possible. I believe this was a desperate move on the defense's part to try and sway the jury.

This is just insane...and why I stay away from the cray-cray at the crime boards (other than occasional lurking...)

Arias trial: Witness feels social media’s glare

Online attacks on defense expert decried as digital ‘lynch mob'

By Michael KieferThe Republic | azcentral.comThu Apr 11, 2013 7:30 AM

For three days this week, a domestic-violence expert witness named Alyce LaViolette held her own against prosecutor Juan Martinez in the Jodi Arias murder trial in Maricopa County Superior Court.

But in cyberspace LaViolette was annihilated.

The Arias case is an international phenomenon, reduced to a parable of good and evil relayed in 140-character Twitter posts. Travis Alexander, the secret lover she killed in 2008, has become a cause célèbre. Arias has become a pariah, and everyone associated with her is considered evil by thousands in the social-media audience.

LaViolette took the stand March 26, hired by the defense to convince the jury that Arias was a victim of abuse from Alexander.

The tweets and other social-media posts began appearing the next week. “You can show your disgust with LaViolette,” they began, and they posted her office phone number and her website, and they suggested that people write negative reviews of her best-selling book on Amazon.com.

As of Tuesday, there were more than 500, panning the book and calling LaViolette a fraud and a disgrace.

People also were calling organizations that had booked her for speaking engagements, trying to persuade them to cancel her appearances.

And on a day when she and Martinez bickered over the meaning of stalking, someone obviously followed her to dinner and later posted photos of her dining with Arias’ defense attorney Jennifer Willmott and one of her legal staff. The photo, posted on at least two Facebook pages devoted to the trial, was accompanied by comments implying that somehow defense attorneys are not allowed to communicate with the experts they hire.

The barrage of online attacks was the subject of lengthy meetings in a judge’s chambers on Monday. It sent LaViolette to the emergency room last weekend.

Legal observers are not certain if it constitutes witness tampering, slander or just an expression of free speech.

“It’s the electronic version of a lynch mob,” retired Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Kenneth Fields said.

But it is probably a taste of the future.

Sree Sreenivasan, chief digital officer and professor of journalism at Columbia University, said he had never seen anything like the attacks on LaViolette.
    “This is a logical extension of witness intimidation, taken to an extreme conclusion,” he said.

But he believes we will see it again.

“I imagine this is going to be standard operating procedure in prominent cases,” he said.

Jodi Arias, 32, admits killing Alexander, 30, but she claims she did so in self-defense. He was found in June 2008 in the shower of his Mesa home, with nearly 30 stab wounds, a bullet in the head and a slit throat.

The case evidence has played out in digital format, from steamy photos and an X-rated phone call recorded on a mobile phone to hundreds of text messages, instant messages, e-mails, MySpace pages and blog posts.

It has spawned a social-media subculture of followers who chronicle the trial on Twitter and Facebook, with pages that support Alexander or condemn Arias. Martinez has been raised to folk-hero status, frequently edited into photos with Alexander to make it look as if the two are standing arm in arm. Tweets fly every day during the trial, exchanging conspiracy theories, mostly praising Martinez and damning the Arias defense team.

The group following the case on social media has not been content to merely watch the trial. It has decided to take part.

LaViolette, 65, has worked as a counselor and psychotherapist for battered women since 1978. She has founded programs in domestic abuse, written books about the subject, given speeches at conferences and testified as an expert witness in trials.

During her testimony in the Arias trial, she described domestic abuse, and then walked the jury through why she felt that Arias had been controlled, manipulated and physically, sexually and emotionally abused by Alexander. Martinez has fought her bitterly, questioning her theories and her credentials, trying to make her crack and bumble as he had done to earlier witnesses. LaViolette, who spent a career counseling aggressive people, did not back down.

Since Martinez began cross-examining LaViolette late last week, the two have traded insults like boxers throwing kidney punches in the clinch. The slugfest was a stalemate, and trial watchers saw what they wanted to see: Martinez bobbing and weaving with rapid-fire questions that he demanded be answered by yes or no; LaViolette standing her ground and occasionally stinging Martinez with jabs like, “If you were in my group, Mr. Martinez, I would ask you to take a time out.”

The cybermob took up the Twitter suggestions to harass LaViolette.

“Shame on you Alyce!!! I hope Jodi gets the death penalty and you watch your career flush down the toilet,” a person named Carol wrote as a review to LaViolette’s book, “It Could Happen To Anyone: Why Battered Women Stay.”

They have attacked other parts of her career.

“I’ve been contacted by numerous people asking that she be removed from our speaker’s list,” said Rick Kenworthy of ABIP Training in Los Angeles, an organization that provides training for abuse counselors.

One of LaViolette’s friends, who asked not to be identified for fear of retribution, said that LaViolette was getting countless angry phone calls and e-mails at her office in Long Beach, Calif., at least one of which was serious enough that her colleagues contacted police.

The friend said that the stress of the harassment had driven LaViolette to the emergency room last weekend for anxiety attacks and palpitations.

Opinions differ on whether the treatment of LaViolette constitutes witness tampering and whether anything can or should be done to stop it. In Arizona it is a felony to tamper with or influence a witness.

“I think it’s an effort to dissuade the witness from testifying free of outside influence,” David Derickson, a former Superior Court judge who now practices law, said of the attacks on LaViolette.

But what can be done, especially if it’s coming from other states, even other countries?

Fields, the retired judge said, “If it’s just the general public and there’s no intention (by the prosecution), then there’s nothing to be done about it.”

Derickson also wondered if it constituted slander. “They’re trying to destroy her reputation,” he said.

Fields thought one solution would be to turn off the TV cameras. “I think we’re going to have to revisit the policy of televised trials,” he said.

But David Bodney, a First Amendment attorney who represents The Arizona Republic, balked at that idea.

“I think it’s entirely unfair to blame camera coverage for a group of persons who are expressing their views,” he said. “The court has the authority to take steps to protect that witness from threats and other misconduct.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/m...nclick_check=1
    This shit is absolutely disgusting. The anti-Arias FB page I've explored is insane too, it's like a bunch of shrieking high school bitches in there--ignorant, belligerent, irrational attention whores. Arias is a psycho, yes, she is obviously guilty, sure, etc. etc. But these obsessive internet nutjobs are effectively turning serious, life-and-death criminal trials into trashy reality TV shows and then trying to become part of them for real.

It's possible that--as that retired judge suggested--a lot of trials will no longer be available for public viewing, and that pisses me off--once again, a gaggle of mouthy dumbasses are going to ruin things for everyone else.

Personally, I find this trial uninteresting. Arias herself is just not worth all the attention she's getting. I mean--okay, Aileen Wuornos was riveting. Jodi, not so much.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Callalily View Post
    I think LaViolette is a sweet ol mee-maw who got caught up in Jodi's crocodile tear routine. Maybe she imagined Jodi being her granddaughter and wants to help her, but Jodi has clearly got this sweet old woman in the palm of her hand. She can't even admit Jodi is a proven liar, which she is. All she had to say was, 'yes, Jodi has a habit of lying, but I believe her abuse blah blah blah,' but to sit there and say she's NOT a liar we all lie and compare this murdering trollop to Bill Clinton and Lance Armstrong and say, 'well they have lied, too!' My mouth just dropped.
    Well, the problem with this is, she's not there to be a sweet ol' meemaw character witness, she's a psychotherapist, and supposed "expert," if she couldn't catch on to Jodi's game, then she needs to turn in her diploma. I agree, her refusal to concede the most obvious (ummm that she was dealing with a known LIAR) totally destroyed any credibility. Also her habit of treating any prosecution question as a way to "trick" her into saying something negative, so annoying. Sometimes it really IS just a yes or no question!

Maybe she had no idea what she was getting herself into--she may have experience in family court testimony, but that's a far cry from a death penalty case. Maybe the defense attorneys didn't coach her properly. But in the end, it was a big fat fail. I hope she made lots of money for her testimony because I really think her career is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    This shit is absolutely disgusting. The anti-Arias FB page I've explored is insane too, it's like a bunch of shrieking high school bitches in there--ignorant, belligerent, irrational attention whores. Arias is a psycho, yes, she is obviously guilty, sure, etc. etc. But these obsessive internet nutjobs are effectively turning serious, life-and-death criminal trials into trashy reality TV shows and then trying to become part of them for real.

It's possible that--as that retired judge suggested--a lot of trials will no longer be available for public viewing, and that pisses me off--once again, a gaggle of mouthy dumbasses are going to ruin things for everyone else.

Personally, I find this trial uninteresting. Arias herself is just not worth all the attention she's getting. I mean--okay, Aileen Wuornos was riveting. Jodi, not so much.
    Exactly, these crazies take these criminal cases to a totally different level, it's like they're a bunch of groupies trying to out-do each other on the crime boards like Websleuths. It's one thing to be a true-crime buff, quite another to insert yourself in the proceedings and harass the people involved in them.

I'm less interested in this trial than I was at the beginning, that's for sure...
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

If she looked like someone in the People of Walmart thread all this shit would have been over and decided in 15 minutes.
    Callalily and Serendipity like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Silver Member

I wish I screen capped the pic when Juan brought up Jodi's twitter! Jodi scribbled furiously, Jennifer didn't look up (her eyes usually bug out her damn sockets when something gets away with her) Kurt's eyes shifted from side to side like, 'oh shit! I'm complaining about him and totally forgot about her tweeting!' The table behind the first chairs were equally hilarious, the lady that sits behind Kurt always gives good face and her expression was, 'I told them this would come up and to make her calm that shit down, but no one listens to the fourth chair!' The lady on the other side's expression was totally, 'damn he gotta good point' and the pic expert in the middle looked like, 'TWITTER? WHAT? TOTALLY RIDICULOUS!'

It was sooo hilarious!
    sprynkles and garysgirl1999 like this.

Silver Member

I like that the prosecutions witness is well spoken. She seems to talk a bit fast, but that could be due to nervousness.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Is this shit still going on? Why!/!?!!?!??!!?
    greysfang likes this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Silver Member

Dr. DeMarte is so much more credible and to the point. She totally and very credibly shredded Drs. Samuels and LaViolette's analysis of Jodi (let's be honest, that wasn't hard. The both of them were horrible witnesses). Dead at Jennifer Wilmott trying to come at her under old Arizona laws, though. DeMarte set her straight real quick. "Those are the old laws. Arizona laws have changed' I'm called Dr. DeMarte'. *sips water*

You can tell she's nervous, but she's holding her own quite well. She was making me sip water right along with her, though! She was making me damn thirsty!
    OrangeSlice and garysgirl1999 like this.

Silver Member

Well, the problem with this is, she's not there to be a sweet ol' meemaw character witness, she's a psychotherapist, and supposed "expert," if she couldn't catch on to Jodi's game, then she needs to turn in her diploma. I agree, her refusal to concede the most obvious (ummm that she was dealing with a known LIAR) totally destroyed any credibility. Also her habit of treating any prosecution question as a way to "trick" her into saying something negative, so annoying. Sometimes it really IS just a yes or no question!

Maybe she had no idea what she was getting herself into--she may have experience in family court testimony, but that's a far cry from a death penalty case. Maybe the defense attorneys didn't coach her properly. But in the end, it was a big fat fail. I hope she made lots of money for her testimony because I really think her career is over.

Exactly, these crazies take these criminal cases to a totally different level, it's like they're a bunch of groupies trying to out-do each other on the crime boards like Websleuths. It's one thing to be a true-crime buff, quite another to insert yourself in the proceedings and harass the people involved in them.

I'm less interested in this trial than I was at the beginning, that's for sure...

Oh I agree! LaViolette totally forgot she was a psychotherapist and went into 'mee-maw' mode with Jodi, though.

Thread Information