Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iran to blind criminal with acid in 'eye for an eye' justice (warning: graphic)

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    I disagree. Being blind and victimized doesn't raise her status to sainthood. What is she hoping to achieve with this blinding? Does revenge taste so sweet it erases her own disability?

Yeah, it's dumb and sickening.
    Who said it raised her status to sainthood? However, she was the direct victim of the assault and is an educated person (engineer), not stupid.

What's dumb and sickening is that the punishments in effect apparently are having no effect on acid attacks against women - as the article notes, they have actually been on the increase, and Iran entertained the idea (in part) as a way of stopping them.

And maybe they would. Right now, the guy goes to jail and/or pays a fine, but gets to go along with his life - while this woman is rendered helpless. Maybe the idea that he would be maimed, too, would stop him from acting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by VeraGemini View Post
    From the article:
    If she really said this, then she's been brainwashed by a barbaric and stupid culture into believing this is a good and just punishment.
    Oh wow. I missed that bit. Lovely. What a hellish place to live. I can't even imagine it really.

having any victim, anywhere, choose and administer the punishment for his or her aggressor is backward and barbaric. that is why we have a state, and a criminal justice system. wtf is wrong with you people? you really want to take a lesson from iran of all places on how to punish criminals?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I agree with you Sput. I understand the victim's desire to maim this guy, but to have the state sanction it? No. That is all sorts of wrong to me.

Elite Member

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

-Gandhi

Enough said.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Who said it raised her status to sainthood? However, she was the direct victim of the assault and is an educated person (engineer), not stupid.

What's dumb and sickening is that the punishments in effect apparently are having no effect on acid attacks against women - as the article notes, they have actually been on the increase, and Iran entertained the idea (in part) as a way of stopping them.

And maybe they would. Right now, the guy goes to jail and/or pays a fine, but gets to go along with his life - while this woman is rendered helpless. Maybe the idea that he would be maimed, too, would stop him from acting on it.
    Why not build a society where women have actual value far beyond being the servants of men's desires. The core problem is how men are raised to think about women, and how women are raised to submit. Any woman, educated or not, is going to remain stupid under a religious tyranny just to survive.

You really think that revenge justice will stop acid attacks? Has that ever worked anywhere, like has Capital Punishment inhibited murder in the US or Russia?

I shutter to think of the new and "improved" ways that men raised under viral Islam will use to smite the women who reject them. Iran already wounds and kills perpetrators out in the open for public amusement. Do you think that makes the people less or more violent and vengeful in general?
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Here is the good part- he had no reason to think this was not going to happen. I hope it scared him & any other man thinking about this evil. They might think next time they would just not announce it.
    He deserved every sleepless moment.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I hope it scared him & any other man thinking about this evil. They might think next time.
    They might think "there's no reason to leave this woman alive to identify me or testify against me".

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

You really think that revenge justice will stop acid attacks?
    Yes, I can virtually guarantee that blinding this guy will prevent him from ever attacking another woman with acid.

Has that ever worked anywhere, like has Capital Punishment inhibited murder in the US or Russia?
    Yes, nobody who has been executed has ever gone on to commit another murder. For example, Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy may have murdered about 50 people between the two of them, but their post-execution murders total zero.

^ Locking them up for life would have the same effect. The death penalty doesn't deter people from becoming a murderer. And the death penalty is just wrong, but that's IMO. I used to think differently.
    I'd like to see this guy locked up for life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information