Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Hostages taken in busy downtown Sydney, Australia coffee shop

^The same things were said in the 70s and 80s about the Vietnamese refugees - they weren't assimilating, they were all heroin dealers swamping the country with smack, they were going to start a communist uprising etc. Now the Vietnamese community is huge and generally loved in Sydney, causing no more or less trouble than the rest of the population. The refugees from the Middle East are the new Vietnamese apparently.

And after WW2 it was the Italian refugees who were all mafioso... same old same old.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

Yeah, that's probably true too. I guess 30-40 years after the SE Asians arrived the subsequent generations of Aussie born "Vietnamese" don't have to deal with adjusting to a vastly different culture, language, lifestyle etc. But we can't ignore the fact that the current generation of angry young Muslim men were also probably born here. It's not a question of "send them back", they are being groomed for jihad here by their own imams. Many have travelled to Syria to fight and die for ISIS and many are sending pitiful emails begging to come home because the reality of being ISIS cannon fodder is rather different to what they were told it would be.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

It's a lot more complex than that unfortunately. In Europe, you're seeing young kids who grew up with moderate, "assimilated" parents, leaving home and going to syria or Iraq to join IS. So it's not always about their parents not letting them "westernise" and raising them in self-imposed ghettos, you also have to take into account that in these kids' cases, a lot of it has to do with growing up Muslim (whether or not you're religious) in Europe and coming of age after 9/11 and being perceived as 'other' and foreign.
    And no, they're not all ignorant or poorly educated. Some of the cases in Europe involve highly educated young people. There was one case in france, the young woman is a doctor, didn't grow up religious at all. And ended up going to fight for IS.

Also, sometimes migrant communities shut themselves off from the host community because of racism and xenophobia. And you have to admit, a*o, there's a lot of racism and xenophobia in Australia. There's also the fact that with extremist Islam on the rise, it's providing a haven/refuge for a lot of disaffected Muslim youth.

In this loonie's case, I'm gonna guess that it wasn't just about extremist religion, he sounds as if he's definitely off.
    faithanne likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

That's true although not many people would acknowledge it. But the overwhelming mood of the meeting today based on what I've seen, read and heard is the anger from all sections of the community that this maniac with a serious criminal record was out on bail in the first place. It's not the first time such a dangerous individual has reoffended while on bail either. Our soft, gullible judiciary has a lot to answer for.

Meanwhile Sydney has swung into full Diana Mode with a sea of flowers outside the cafe with weeping children, tearful cops, etc. 2000km away the same is happening outside the Lindt cafe in Melbourne. What amazes me the most is people's genuine shock that this could have happened in the first place. Hello? Do you bozos follow the news from overseas and what's been happening there? What makes Australia immune? This was a tragic but overdue wake up call.
    Last edited by A*O; December 16th, 2014 at 01:38 AM.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information