Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Gunman Opens Fire at Oregon College, Multiple Fatalities

Bronze Member

4chan thread under federal investigation after Oregon college shooting

Authorities are investigating a suspicious warning posted yesterday

Federal authorities are looking into a suspicious thread on the anonymous message board 4chan that appears to include someone with similar intentions to today's unnamed shooter who killed at least 10 people in Oregon, according to The New York Times. The thread, archived here, shows an anonymous user on 4chan board /r9k/ advising others, "Don’t go to school tomorrow if you are in the northwest," late in the day on September 30th. The identity of the shooter who attacked students this morning at Umpqua Community College in Roseberg, Oregon, remains unknown, though it is confirmed police shot and killed the 20-year-old man.
    It is not yet clear whether the anonymous 4chan user and the shooter are the same person. 4chan has become well-known as a haven for some of the worst behavior on the internet. In fact, many users egged on the original poster and some even gave him tips on how to carry out a massacre. Following news of the shooting, the thread takes a twisted turn as participants realize the gravity of a potential link between the group conversation and the killings. Nonetheless, the nature of the site makes quick verification near impossible.

Mass shootings have become a vehicle for those seeking nationwide attention, and social media has played a crucial role in that process. Through photos on Instagram, Facebook status updates, and anonymous postings on message boards, shooters have increasingly begun leaving digital breadcrumbs for authorities, friends, and family to follow in the aftermath of such a tragedy. Yet more so than other social media channels, 4chan has become a popular place for internet trolls who enjoy riling up the community with hoax statements.
    If the 4chan user turns out to have been the shooter, prefacing his crime with a warning and seeking encouragement online, it will be one of the most disturbing events yet to happen on the platform.

4chan thread under federal investigation after Oregon college shooting | The Verge

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Again, they will just continue to ignore the mental health aspect and both parties will fight with each other over gun control alone.

Meanwhile, Obama has yet to comment on the number of gun related homicides in the city with some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation - Chicago.
    While they both involve gun violence they each come with their own unique issues and underlying causes that need to be addressed. It's an apples to a not even round similar(ly) looking fruit comparison.

Everyone is very aware at this point that you have to be seriously fucked in the head to just start shooting people.

There needs to be real gun control, legislation with actual teeth to it. Mental health needs to be addressed but it's not happening overnight, so in the mean time we need to make it way more difficult for nut jobs to be armed.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I'm just going to start copying and pasting my response to these threads.

How many more?
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I don't disagree that there needs to be a multi factorial solution. How can it not start with mental health laws? Mentally healthy people don't open fire on a school. Make it easier for families/care providers to report unusual behavior. Make it easier for law enforcement to DO something about it before someone is actually hurt. Fund mental health coverage/facilities. Work to avoid burnout in mental health providers. Make it lucrative for new MDs, PAs, ARNPs to work in this field. This government opened the health care flood gates without having enough providers in place.

I don't own a gun. I will probably never own a gun. It's not like I'm in favor of easy access but we are missing the boat if we skip this crucial step.

My point about Obama was fair. He doesn't talk about his "hometown" homicide/shooting rate because it doesn't fit into his agenda. He's never going to mention that a place with some of the strictest gun laws in the nation also has a person being shot every 16 minutes.

My work blocks Twitter so I can't copy and paste the Tweet I just read, favorite and re-tweeted but it says:

We should really ask every other country on earth how they all eliminated mental illness, since that's the source of all gun massacres. Paul Walman
    witchcurlgirl, Brah and sputnik like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Chicago's gun issue has numerous aspects, not least being that while Chicago has tough gun laws the surrounding areas in IL and it's neighboring states do not. There are also enormous social issues that need to be addressed there.

No, Chicago Isn't Proof That Gun Regulation Doesn't Work | ThinkProgress

Where Do Chicago‚€™s Guns Come From? | Chicago magazine | The 312 July 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/us...hots.html?_r=0

Chicago‚€™s gun laws keep getting tougher, but more people are breaking them | Bleader | Chicago Reader
    Brah likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    My point about Obama was fair. He doesn't talk about his "hometown" homicide/shooting rate because it doesn't fit into his agenda. He's never going to mention that a place with some of the strictest gun laws in the nation also has a person being shot every 16 minutes.
    how is that even relevant though? What good are tough gun laws locally if there are no border controls between cities/states with strict gun laws and cities/states with almost no regulation at all? If getting a gun easily is just a car ride away all that changes is that people won't buy them in town but will go to the next town over.
    The only way gun laws will make a difference is if they are federal and the only way that's gonna happen is through the Supreme Court because all the nutjob, gun-loving, woman-hating asshole states will never pass non-retarded gun laws at a state level.
    Last edited by sputnik; October 2nd, 2015 at 03:12 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^Agreed with sputnik and witchurlgirl

And this is just entirely my opinion that's formed by my own bias and sensitivities, but mental illness is already very stigmatized in this country, and imo, a lot of news sources tend to jump right to "Well he was mentally ill" "this was a mentally ill man" "it's a case of mental illness" to circumvent speaking seriously about gun laws. People with mental illnesses are more likely to be victims of violence than the perpetrators, and a lot of those imprisoned/homeless/in jail are mentally ill as well, so there are absolutely aspects in that healthcare need to be MAJORLY addressed in this country---but making mental illness the scapegoat for gun violence is not the answer (especially since, like I said, the mentally ill are more likely to be victims of harm than the perpetrators). But when I hear a newscaster or overhear someone saying "well he was mentally ill" it feels like the blame and more stigma is just being shifted off of guns and sloughed onto the mentally ill.
    We have a big BIG problem in this country of how we handle mental illness, but when I hear of a sick man buying a gun with such ease and causing a massacre, my first thought isn't "If only he'd gotten the Praxil he needed"---I'm thinking "Why the fuck are deadly weapons so accessible and the ownership of deadly weapons such an accepted norm in this fucking macho man wannabe country?" I'm not thinking "oh well obviously this is just a case of one of those mentally ill people"---I'm thinking, "how many more people are going to be killed by guns before something is done?" Whenever I hear the media break it down to just being someone who was "mentally ill", it feels like demonetization of mental illness---maybe that's my own sensitivities, but that's what it feels like, because they (media, pro guns, w/e), want it to be the "other" that caused it, the "other" being the mentally ill. This may sound disjointed but it's my gut reaction to hearing this from others, and from the media, and it's honestly too horrible to realize that ANOTHER FUCKING shooting has happened this year, one amongst so many of the past few years, and NOTHING is done.

Edit: Actually, I can see why they blame it on mental illness more than they do guns, because mental illness is something that, if you don't have it or are not close with anyone who has one, it's not something you care about or think about. It's some big kind of "other" that can be blamed and then pushed to the back, and never spoken of again until the next (inevitable, by now) shooting.

---I'm also VERY pissed off that so many big name conservative politicians are fucking breaking their backs to get Planned Parenthood defunded cause of the "harvested babies", and yet when actual FORMED and gestated humans are murdered by guns, all the conservative right can do is make fake condolences before getting back into bed with the NRA.
    Last edited by Brah; October 2nd, 2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: so many disjointed thoughts

I have actually heard people I know say after a shooting here at the local mall that they carry at the mall just in case something like that happens and they can take out the shooter while protecting their kids..

And I agree, if nothing changed after Sandy Hook what will it take for something to change because this is going nowhere fast. Why is it that in other countries that do have gun control these things don't happen, even my 'not interested in owning guns' husband argues for the right to bear arms. It makes my European head hurt.

My arguments aren't all that different from yours. For the third time, this is multi factorial. There's this rally cry that we need to ban guns but mental illness gets glossed over. Perhaps there is an example, but I don't know of a single school or workplace mass shooting where mental illness isn't a root cause. I'd be interesteyd to know if there is one. And all arguments aside, is anyone really going to say mental health in this country is effective?!

My comments weren't made to further stigmatize mental illness. I'm not sure how that could be inferred from what I said. I said we need to empower families and health care workers to enlist the help of law enforcement (or increase psychiatric care) before behavior escalates. I have been in situations with patients where I had an immediate concern about someone's escalating behavior, only to be told by police that they couldn't do anything until the patient hurt someone. How is that effective?

I agree that Chicago has so, so many social and economic factors influencing the homicide rate. Adjusting inconsistent gun laws is only going to fix a fraction of the issues. It won't pull people out of poverty, improve education, resolve racial tensions, or elevate the ceiling on productivity.
    greysfang likes this.

I agree Bella that there are many facets to the problem. Half of which we probably don't even fully know. I don't trust overly simple answers and more so when there are dead people everywhere.

I just can't get past the numbers though. The numbers of gun owners in the US is CRAZY higher than any other western, civilized country (I am too lazy to look it up now). The number of deaths by gun is similarly, out of bounds compared to like nations. Like not even close, holy crap, WTF high. Do we have more ill people? More poverty? just a cultural tendency toward violence? Maybe all of the above but we sure do have a shit ton of guns, too. There has to be a connection.
    czb likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Agreed. I thought it was an interesting move for the sherif to refuse to say the shooters name. If gaining notoriety is even a tiny piece of the puzzle, it's an effective stop for it.

We have many mentally ill people (although our health care system is more affordable for the disadvantaged) but very low gun crime in comparison to the US. I think another factor is that if you live in a society where everyone has a gun, you would be more likely to want one to protect yourself against everyone else. Nobody I know owns a gun and in general we just don't have the same paranoia. When gun crimes like the Sydney siege or Port Arthur massacre occur they're huge news because they're so rare.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    I have actually heard people I know say after a shooting here at the local mall that they carry at the mall just in case something like that happens and they can take out the shooter while protecting their kids..
    We have some posters here that do the same. Have yet to hear of it working.
    witchcurlgirl and Mivvi21 like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Lead Sheriff in Oregon Massacre Investigation Wiped His Sandy Hook Conspiracy, Pro-Gun Posts From Facebook

Sheriff John Hanlin, who is leading the investigation into the mass shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon where at least 10 people were killed, had previously shared a widely debunked Sandy Hook conspiracy video in addition to multiple anti-gun regulation posts on Facebook. All of which Hanlin apparently began deleting less than an hour ago.

In the since-deleted post, which refers to a video positing that the parents seen grieving in the wake of Sandy Hook were actually hired “crisis actors,” Hanlin wrote:

This makes me wonder who we can trust anymore... Watch, listen, and keep an open mind.

The video also makes the claim that the Sandy Hook shooting was in fact a government false flag operation, with the media assisting in obscuring what “actually” happened.

Although Hanlin has since either deleted or set his posts to private, we were able to get screenshots of much of the Sherriff’s pro-gun propaganda before he began cleaning house.

For instance, public Facebook shares also included a story titled “COLUMBINE STUDENT’S FATHER 12 YEARS LATER!!” The post describes a speech Darrell Scot, the father of one of the victims of the Columbine High School shootings, gave at a small House subcommittee meeting (not at a special session of Congress as the post claims). Most notably, the post seems to attribute the Columbine massacre to a lack of prayer in school while simultaneous discouraging calls for stricter gun control:

And when something as terrible as Columbine’s tragedy occurs—politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA — I give to you a sincere challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone! My daughter’s death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!

This in addition to considerable amounts of pro-gun propaganda, such as the this post likening gun-related deaths to those killed in car accidents:

Or this post calling for less gun regulation in general, with the apparent implication that it’s what our founding fathers would have intended:

And this Tea Party photo drawing comparisons between those calling for stricter gun control to notorious dictators (in addition to President Obama):

Although he’s now apparently covering his tracks on social media, Hanlin hasn’t shied away from publicly voicing his second amendment support in the past. In the month after the Newton shooting, Hanlin penned a letter to Vice President Joe Biden, in which he wrote:

[The first purpose of this letter is] to make a formal request that you NOT tamper with or amend the 2nd Amendment. Gun control is NOT the answer to preventing heinous crimes like school shootings. Any actions against, or in disregard to our U.S. Constitution and 2nd Amendment rights by the current administration would be irresponsible and an indisputable insult to the American people.

The second purpose of this letter is to make notification that any federal regulation enacted by Congress or by executive order of the President offending the Constitutional rights of my citizens shall not be enforced by me or by my deputies, nor will I permit the enforcement of any constitutional regulations or orders by federal offices within the borders of Douglas County, Oregon.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information