Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree331Likes

Thread: George Zimmerman Trial

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    He has about a 70% chance of walking, going by previous stand-your-ground cases in Florida. What is happening in that state with this law is absolutely crazy. Here is an excerpt from a larger article .
    he's not using stand your ground as a defense. yet. that could change.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

He has about a 70% chance of walking, going by previous stand-your-ground cases in Florida. What is happening in that state with this law is absolutely crazy. Here is an excerpt from a larger article (Florida 'stand your ground' law yields some shocking outcomes depending on how law is applied | Tampa Bay Times):

• An 18-year-old felon, convicted of cocaine and weapons charges, shot and wounded a neighbor in the stomach, then fled the scene and was involved in another nonfatal shootout two days later, according to police. He was granted immunity in the first shooting.

Two men fell into the water while fighting on a dock. When one started climbing out of the water, the other shot him in the back of the head, killing him. He was acquitted after arguing "stand your ground."

A Seventh-day Adventist was acting erratically, doing cartwheels through an apartment complex parking lot, pounding on cars and apartment windows and setting off alarms. A tenant who felt threatened by the man's behavior shot and killed him. He was not charged.

A Citrus County man in a longstanding dispute with a neighbor shot and killed the man one night in 2009. He was not charged even though a witness and the location of two bullet wounds showed the victim was turning to leave when he was shot.

Even chasing and killing someone over a drug buy can be considered standing your ground.

Anthony Gonzalez Jr. was part of a 2010 drug deal that went sour when someone threatened Gonzalez with a gun. Gonzalez chased the man down and killed him during a high-speed gunbattle through Miami streets.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I think the judge ruled in preliminary hearing that stand your ground was not available in this case. He's going with straight self-defense.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Zimmerman waived the right to have a 'stand your ground" pretrial immunity hearing, they may go with it after they've presented their case:

George Zimmerman, set to stand trial in the 2012 shooting death of teenager Trayvon Martin, on Tuesday waived his right to a "stand your ground" pretrial immunity hearing. Zimmerman's attorneys have decided they will try this as a self-defense case.

Florida's deadly force law, also called "stand your ground", was passed in 2005. It allows people to meet "force with force" if they believe they or someone else is in danger of being seriously harmed by an assailant. Under the law, a person can use deadly force anywhere as long as he is not engaged in an unlawful activity, is being attacked in a place he has a right to be, and reasonably believes that his life and safety are in danger as a result of an overt act or perceived threat committed by someone else.

In a pretrial immunity hearing, a judge would have ruled whether Zimmerman's actions were protected under the "stand your ground" law; a ruling in favor of the defendant would have meant that no criminal or civil trial could proceed.

During Tuesday's motions hearing, Zimmerman defense attorney Mark O'Mara told Judge Debra Nelson there was nothing in the law that required the immunity hearing to take place before Zimmerman's trial. O'Mara said the hearing could be requested after the defense has presented its case, but "we'd much rather have the jury address the issue of criminal liability or lack thereof."

Benjamin Crump, attorney for the Martin family, said Zimmerman's decision to "merge" the hearing and the trial "is very telling of his defense, or lack thereof."

"We believe the defense's decision to waive a pretrial hearing and to merge the 'stand your ground' hearing into the trial is to prevent putting George Zimmerman on the stand," Crump said in a press release, "and to preclude the public and the potential jury pool from previewing the many inconsistencies in George Zimmerman's story."

Crump said a pretrial hearing was clearly the intent of state law because the statute "grants immunity from civil lawsuits, arrests and trials, if a defendant prevails."

Crump continued: "... the decision made by the defense to waive a pretrial hearing and to solely continue on to trial vindicates the many thousands of protesters who demanded George Zimmerman be arrested for the killing of Trayvon Martin. After all, to have a felony criminal trial an arrest must first be made."

After the motions hearing ended, prosecutors and defense attorneys were to meet in private with the judge to discuss jury issues for the June 10 trial.

Zimmerman to argue self-defense, won't seek stand-your-ground hearing - CNN.com
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I think the judge ruled in preliminary hearing that stand your ground was not available in this case. He's going with straight self-defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Okay. It kind of looks like Stand Your Ground is only available pre-trial. Like you get granted immunity from prosecution. Either way, it bodes ill for finding George Zimmerman guilty.

I truly believe that Zimmerman is innocent. From the bloody photo to the accounts of what happened. I believe that Zimmerman is innocent.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Fuck I cannot get this Alice Cooper song out of my head.
    Sylkyn likes this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

He has about a 70% chance of walking, going by previous stand-your-ground cases in Florida. What is happening in that state with this law is absolutely crazy. Here is an excerpt from a larger article (Florida 'stand your ground' law yields some shocking outcomes depending on how law is applied | Tampa Bay Times):

• An 18-year-old felon, convicted of cocaine and weapons charges, shot and wounded a neighbor in the stomach, then fled the scene and was involved in another nonfatal shootout two days later, according to police. He was granted immunity in the first shooting.

Two men fell into the water while fighting on a dock. When one started climbing out of the water, the other shot him in the back of the head, killing him. He was acquitted after arguing "stand your ground."

A Seventh-day Adventist was acting erratically, doing cartwheels through an apartment complex parking lot, pounding on cars and apartment windows and setting off alarms. A tenant who felt threatened by the man's behavior shot and killed him. He was not charged.

A Citrus County man in a longstanding dispute with a neighbor shot and killed the man one night in 2009. He was not charged even though a witness and the location of two bullet wounds showed the victim was turning to leave when he was shot.

Even chasing and killing someone over a drug buy can be considered standing your ground.

Anthony Gonzalez Jr. was part of a 2010 drug deal that went sour when someone threatened Gonzalez with a gun. Gonzalez chased the man down and killed him during a high-speed gunbattle through Miami streets.
    wow. that is some fucked up shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I truly believe that Zimmerman is innocent. From the bloody photo to the accounts of what happened. I believe that Zimmerman is innocent.
    i believe you are reallly, really, REALLY WRONG. He killed an unarmed 17 year old KID. He was told to stand the fuck down, he didn't listen. he's guilty. that is all.
    olivia, SHELLEE, Patty Rox and 1 others like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Here's something I was wondering. If you are lying on your back, straddled by another guy, getting pummeled, as George Zimmerman supposedly was - how do you reach for your gun in the first place? Where did he supposedly have the gun? Under his jacket? Strapped to his leg? In a pocket? In almost any scenario, it would have been very difficult for him to reach for the gun, much less without Trayvon noticing it.

Secondly, for this to work as a defense, Zimmerman would have to have shot Martin from a close enough range to leave very clear ballistic evidence, and even powder residue, of a close-range shot. I haven't heard anything about that. If the evidence shows that Martin was shot from more than a foot away, I would think it would mean that Martin had already gotten off of Zimmerman and that the threat of further injury (or death) was over - negating self defense.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Ah, and how did the photo compare to Trayvon's photo of that same night? And innocent of what? He didn't shoot Trayvon? He didn't follow him? He didn't take the safety off his concealed weapon? He didn't get out of the car? He didn't know the name of the street that he patrolled - the one of 3 streets? What, exactly is his innocence?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll

Silver Member

Question for you all- if a family member is killed by someone, would you want a full investigation? And would you try and take it trial?

Yes, honesty who wouldn't want answers and if there's criminal culpability for the guilty person to serve their debt to society and to my family.

hell yes.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    We don't fully understand the race angle. Isn't Zimmerman dark, too? He sure looks it on the tv screen and in the pictures.
    do you have a mouse in your pocket? If not then who the fuck is "we"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    This is what I keep coming back to in my mind. I need a rational explanation how someone who sits & watches, then chases someone down is the person standing his ground.
    Me too, if you stalk someone and get your ass beat then shoot them it's not standing your ground. The other person was standing their ground and then you stepped over the fucking boundary
    I truly believe you are WRONG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Question for you all- if a family member is killed by someone, would you want a full investigation? And would you try and take it trial?
    yes I had a family member killed and their was no "full" investigation to this day I want answers. Yes a trial would have been nice
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    are you're asking if we would want the law to work, or if we would want to take the law into our own hands?

A little from column A, a little from column B.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information