Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree331Likes

Thread: George Zimmerman Trial

i love colbert.
    olivia, Brookie, KrisNine and 2 others like this.

The Seminole County Sheriff's Office today released details of how jurors in the George Zimmerman case lived while they were sequestered during his trial for the shooting death of Trayvon Martin:

The jury was originally sequestered on Friday, June 21 and spent 22 nights at the Marriott on International Parkway in Lake Mary, Fla. During the sequestration, jurors had individual rooms and convened regularly in a suite for meals and to socialize.

Jurors watched television and movies, exercised at the hotel fitness center, and spent weekends being visited by family and friends. Jurors could also request visits from members of the religious community. Anyone visiting members of the jury was asked to sign an agreement indicating they would not discuss the case with the jury member or disclose any information to outside parties about the details of their visit.

Jurors dined out twice: at Outback Steakhouse in Sanford and at Amigo’s in Altamonte Springs. Dinner was also brought in from Giovanni’s in Lake Mary. Lunches typically took place at the courthouse with lunch brought in from area restaurants.

The group went out for lunch twice, both times to Senior Tequila’s in Winter Springs. Jurors also enjoyed several evening and weekend excursions to include bowling, shopping at the Volusia Mall, a day and dinner in St. Augustine (to include a visit to the Ripley’s Believe It or Not Museum), manicures and pedicures, and watching fireworks on the fourth of July.

Jurors also went to the movies to see “World War Z” and “The Lone Ranger.” All movies viewed were preapproved by the court.

Jurors were provided access to the hotel’s laundry service or could send laundry home with family members. Jurors were permitted to go to appointments for personal care if accompanied by deputies.

All television, internet use, reading materials, mail, and phone calls were screened, monitored and logged by deputies to ensure jurors were not exposed to any trial information, or content related to the criminal justice system.

Jurors were permitted to receive their cell phones once per day to check voicemails and make telephone calls in the presence of a deputy.

Jurors paid for their own personal purchases and appointment costs. The Sheriff’s Office paid for the movie and bowling excursions and the Ripley’s admission.

Although exact costs are not yet available, the hotel cost was approximately $1,000 daily, and meals were approximately $375 per day. The excursion expenses were approximately $350.

In total, sequestrations costs were approximately $33,000. The Sheriff’s Office is still compiling the agency’s total costs associated with the trial.
    Seminole County Sheriff's Office - Donald F. Eslinger, Sheriff

I'm pretty sure that Juror B37 didn't speak to her attorney husband about the case or the book deal during this time. [/sarcasm]
    *DIVA! and McJag like this.

I'd bill Zimmerman for the sequestration fees.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I can't even listen to NPR in the evenings anymore. I am so angry about this I don't know what to do. Some freeper on another website I patronize said that he was "pleased" with the verdict. I wanted to punch him in his eye, but the mods beat me to it and e-ripped him a new one.

BITTER, I love your new avi. That fucker is a flat out murderer, but he'll do something else stupid like OJ did. Karma's got his marker.
    BITTER and hustle4alivin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Not to steal attention from this maddening case, but did you see this story today? I had never heard of it until this afternoon and hadn't seen it discussed on Gossiprocks. In this case, the victim was an African American 13 year old, and the perp's own surveillance video captured him doing it (youtube video will neither embed or hyperlink):

John Henry Spooner Shooting VIDEO: Evidence Shows Darius Simmons Killed (GRAPHIC)

A video entered as evidence in the murder trial of John Henry Spooner on Tuesday appears to show the 76-year-old shooting his 13-year-old neighbor Darius Simmons dead.
    The Milwaukee senior is charged with first-degree homicide after the alleged incident in May last year. Jurors saw the video (below), taken from Spooner's own surveillance camera, that shows the suspect walk out of his house, brandishing a gun. After a short argument, the man in the video waves the gun around before he shoots Simmons in the chest. Simmons manages to flee outside the scope of the camera before dying.
    The evidence was recorded in court Tuesday and provided to HuffPost Crime by the Journal-Sentinel.

<font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Georgia">
    I haven't heard anything about this. WTF did the kid supposedly do? Another vigilante on the loose? Just what we don't need. How much more fucked up can this world get? I'm scared to hear the answer.

^the old man neighbor thought the kid was responsible for stealing about 3k worth of guns from his house. he was found guilty of murder and now they are just waiting to determine if he was mentally ill at the time.

worst part is the mother was standing in the doorway watching the whole time. when he starts waving the gun, he's pointing it at her and talking to her.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    I haven't heard anything about this. WTF did the kid supposedly do? Another vigilante on the loose? Just what we don't need. How much more fucked up can this world get? I'm scared to hear the answer.
    I had heard of this case, but never watched that video. I feel sick to my stomach after seeing that. So completely disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    random off-topic post: I'm working on a capital murder case where the defendant contacted Quanell X for help, and Q actually persuaded the guy to go to the police and confess, and went with him. So maybe he's not all bad.
    Maybe not but he's currently behaving like a shithead... Of course, no one is ALL bad ALL the time. Sadly, that's the first good thing I've heard about him... blocking off traffic on 288, hauling around a coffin in the freeway - that kind of thing only serves to rile up more people. I believe in protesting but I'm not sure what purpose fucking with traffic serves. And naturally, we have an older white woman who claims that one of the protestors "hit" her while she was (a passenger who had her window down yelling at people and waving her arm outside the window) driving on the shoulder because they were taking her grandchild to the hospital ER. I've seen the video and the man didn't appear to hit her BUT she's filing suit (I think).
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    BITTER, I love your new avi. That fucker is a flat out murderer, but he'll do something else stupid like OJ did. Karma's got his marker.
    Thanks, dear. I'm tempted to put it on a t-shirt, but that would cause problems, as I'm not a boxer .
    But it doesn't change how I feel. I get a headache thinking about it. Shit, a young black male's life is STILL considered less valuable than a white person's by some people. It hurts and angers me.
    MentalNotes likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I wish we could rename this thread to Asshole Fuckface Trial. Seeing his name instantly pisses me off.
    BITTER and hustle4alivin like this.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Thanks, dear. I'm tempted to put it on a t-shirt, but that would cause problems, as I'm not a boxer .
    But it doesn't change how I feel. I get a headache thinking about it. Shit, a young black male's life is STILL considered less valuable than a white person's by some people. It hurts and angers me.
    Sadly, the number of "some" people is bigger than you'd think. And with the Supreme Court recently invalidating a key part of the Voting Rights Act, it looks like we may be slipping back into the dark ages. Ya gotta love how the excuse "We've come a long way, cos look: we got a black President" is used as a motivation.
    BITTER likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

A group of about 20 children between the ages of 2 and 12 and about 20 more young adults were peacefully protesting racial profiling on Rock Road in front of Towne East Mall when these two grown idiots with the word NIGGER in big white letters attempted to intimidate, disrupt, and incite violence. Funny thing is that although the Wichita Police said that AJ Bohanan's sign around his neck that said, "If I don't stand for something I'll fall for anything!!! #RIP Trayvon Martin" was inciting a riot and arrested him. The two grown men with "NIGGER" on a shirt walking up on a group of Black youth grieving the death of an unarmed Black teen were able to laugh with them and go home.

But blacks are the "violent animals" and all rioting. Yeah, okay...
    McJag likes this.

Goons.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post

But blacks are the "violent animals" and all rioting. Yeah, okay...
    The ff-ing arrogance of ignorance is all in their disgusting smirks. They KNOW the USA (at least Congress) is still ruled by racism. The Tea Party idiots and many Repugs rather have the entire country go to shit, than to take orders from a (half) black president. It's disgusting.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Race Reversal: A Hypothetical Scenario Of What Would Happen If Trayvon Martin Were White And George Zimmerman Were Black, And Why Race Has Everything To Do With The Case

If you don’t understand how deeply and viciously racist has been the official and right-wing reaction to the murder of Trayvon Martin, all you have to do is consider what would have been the official and right-wing reaction had the races of Martin and his killer been reversed.

Imagine a lanky white teenager was walking in a strange neighborhood at night. He’s a good kid—according to one of his teachers "an A and B student who majored in cheerfulness"—although he’s not above making the foolish teenaged mistake of getting caught with an empty baggie with marijuana residue inside it. But he has no criminal record. The worst anyone can say about him is that he smokes some pot, which puts him in the company of nearly half of all American high school students, something more than half of all American adults would legalize. But he’s a good student and has no criminal record. In other words, he’s a pretty typical teenager. A good kid.

Then one night this typical teenager is walking alone in a strange neighborhood, munching on some junk food and talking on his cell phone. And remember that we’re reversing the races here, so now he’s a white kid walking alone in a strange neighborhood, and it’s a black man who steps out of an SUV and starts following him. A black man who outweighs the teen by nearly a hundred pounds. A black man who steps out of an SUV, pulls up a hoodie, and starts following the teen. The kid tells his friend on the cell phone that someone is following him. He tells her because he doesn’t understand why someone is following him. He’s nervous. He’s just walking along, munching on junk food, and someone has started following him.

Finally, he decides to confront the guy. Even though he is nervous, he probably can’t imagine that simply walking in a strange neighborhood would lead to someone shooting him dead. He’s standing up for himself, but the thought of violence, the thought of gunfire, doesn’t even enter his head. But when he confronts the big guy who had been following him, and asks why he has been following him, the big guy pulls a gun. It happens so suddenly, the teen probably barely has time to realize that something serious is now happening. This was just an innocent evening stroll, a big guy had started following him for no reason, and now his life is being threatened. This was just an innocent evening stroll, and now he’s looking at a gun. Pointed at him. By a big guy who had been following him for no reason. A big guy who now shoots him dead.

Three witnesses later report having heard the boy’s desperate cry for help. The police report (pdf)says he was found face down, with his hands under him. He was carrying no weapon. He was carrying no drugs. He was carrying the type of junk food typical teenagers carry. In our reversal of races scenario, the story then is that a lanky white teen was walking in a strange neighborhood, snacking on junk food, talking to a friend on his cell phone, when a large black man stepped out of an SUV, started following him, frightened him, and shot him dead. Imagine the reaction.

Now suppose we find out that the teen’s killer had a history of race-based paranoia. Suppose we find out that the teen’s killer’s neighbors had complained of his aggressive behavior. Suppose we find out that the teen’s killer had once been arrested for “resisting arrest with violence and battery on an officer." Suppose we find out that the teen’s killer that night had ignored a police dispatcherwho had told him to stop following the teen. And suppose that after all that, the much larger black man who had stepped out of an SUV, pulled up a hoodie, and started following the white teen had ended up shooting the white teen dead. What would have been the official response? What would have been the right-wing reaction?

Would a police officer have tried to coach a witness to change her story? Would the local state attorney and police chief have overruled even the lead homicide investigator, who recommended that the killer be charged with manslaughter? Would the police have neglected even to give the killer a routine drug and alcohol test? Would the police have neglected to contact whomever the kid was talking to on the phone just moments before he was shot, ignored the witnesses who contradicted the killer’s story, and later reported that the killer had been bloodied in a confrontation with the dead teen, even though the real time reports suggested no such thing, and even though the police surveillance video shows the killer had no discernible wounds or discomfort, and even though the funeral director who prepared the dead teen’s body for burial says there was no evidence he had been in a fight?

If Trayvon Martin had been white and George Zimmerman black, this would not have become a national story. If they had reported it at all, the right-wing media would have praised Martin for trying to stand his ground before a dangerous violent thug. It defies credulity to think they would be dismissing the killer’s behavior, making despicable excuses such as blaming the kid’s clothing, or if— unthinkable in this reversing-the-races scenario—there had been no criminal charges filed against the killer, dismissing the story altogether. The questions here don’t even need answers. The questions answer themselves.

Had Trayvon Martin been white and George Zimmerman black, Zimmerman would be headed for death row. Right-wing media would be hailing Martin as a hero. A martyr who had stood his ground against a dangerous predator. They would be saying that it’s too bad Martin hadn’t somehow fought back against Zimmerman, and that if he had somehow succeeded in fighting a man so much larger than him, it would have been justifiable if he had left Zimmerman dead.

There is no polite way to explain what has happened. There is no polite way to explain the reflexive defensive rationalizations by the right-wing media and their right-wing fans. This was a racist killing with a racist cover-up and the right wing’s reaction has been virulently and viciously racist. To understand the depth of the right wing’s racist depravity, all it takes is to consider the very different reaction to this horror had the races of the victim and his killer been reversed.

Welcome to post-racial America.

http://thepoliticalfreakshow.us/post...enario-of-what

Last edited by MentalNotes; July 19th, 2013 at 08:34 PM.
    "Boredom's not a burden
    Anyone should bear."
    -Tool "Stinkfist"

Thread Information