Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree331Likes

Thread: George Zimmerman Trial

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I think in order to have properly prosecuted this case, they would have had to put the police department on trial and it seems since the prosecution was reluctant to prosecute they weren't really willing to put their relationship with their police department on the line. The investigation into this case was an abomination from the moment the police arrived on scene.My heart breaks for the family and the implicatins of this verdict.
    This is exactly what my husband figures. Looking back at the whole fiasco, and watching the DA's statement, that seems about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Can a civil suit be filed against Zimmerman, the way the Browns filed a civil suit against OJ?
    Not in Florida, where civil cases cannot be brought against defendants declared innocent nor can a civil suit cause "undue hardship" against a defendant (which is why OJ moved there, to protect his NFL pension.) The NAACP is now trying to push the Feds into bringing civil charges (rather than the state) but I doubt that will go anywhere.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    This is exactly what my husband figures. Looking back at the whole fiasco, and watching the DA's statement, that seems about right.

Not in Florida, where civil cases cannot be brought against defendants declared innocent nor can a civil suit cause "undue hardship" against a defendant (which is why OJ moved there, to protect his NFL pension.) The NAACP is now trying to push the Feds into bringing civil charges (rather than the state) but I doubt that will go anywhere.
    According to Dan Abrams, Zimmerman opened himself up to a civil suit when he waived a "'Stand Your Ground" hearing during his pretrial.

https://twitter.com/danabrams/status/356387247341314049

In order to have immunity from a civil suit, there would have to be another hearing:

Abrams' feed, fifth post down:

https://twitter.com/danabrams

Justice Department To Review George Zimmerman, Trayvon Martin Case

07/14/13 04:02 PM ET EDT

The Justice Department says it is looking into the shooting death of Trayvon Martin to determine whether federal prosecutors should file criminal civil rights charges now that George Zimmerman has been acquitted in the state case.

The department opened an investigation into Martin's death last year but stepped aside to allow the state prosecution to proceed.

In a statement Sunday, the Justice Department said the criminal section of the civil rights division, the FBI and the U.S. Attorney's office for the Middle District of Florida are continuing to evaluate the evidence generated during the federal probe, in addition to the evidence and testimony from the state trial.

The statement said that, in the government's words, "experienced federal prosecutors will determine whether the evidence reveals a prosecutable violation."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/14/justice-department-george-zimmerman_n_3595835.html

This is making my head spin and I feel a rage building inside. Zimmerman had a history of abusing his false power. He came a across an unarmed teenager and decided to abuse his perceived power again. He started a fight with a kid and then shot him when the kid started to kick his ass. How can it NOT be at least manslaughter? The jury let down many and now they want to maintain their privacy.
    Last edited by sluce; July 14th, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

A*O

This case hasn't received much coverage here but the verdict has. I haven't read all the background but there is a lot of unease about the misleading media reports, this being just one example

On the storied Today Show, NBC News told America Zimmerman said this on the 911 call:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. He looks black.

When the truth is that the unedited audio actually went like this:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. Or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.

Dispatcher: OK, and this guy — is he black, white or Hispanic?

Zimmerman: He looks black.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

thanks for the Dan Abrams links! I've not been watching him, but he used to be one of my favorites.

ETA: I don't think any case, federal or civil rights or civil, will get very far unless they are willing to grill the Sanford cops over why they reflexively believed Zimmerman's story, why they didn't think his contradictions were a big deal, why they let Zimmerman go home for a while before interviewing him and taking pictures, and why they didn't collect evidence as they normally would at a murder scene. Oh, and why they and the DA didn't charge Zimmerman with anything or hold him.

The surest sign that Zimmerman felt he was among friends with the cops is that he never called a lawyer for his questioning. I'll go out on a limb and say Zimmerman knew the fix was in...in his favor. His daddy was a judge and surely told him to always get a lawyer.

Then maybe we will get a clearer picture as to what happened that night...at least after the murder. Maybe the Martin's can suit the Sanford police force, I don't know.
    Last edited by olivia; July 14th, 2013 at 05:37 PM.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    This is making my head spin and I feel a rage building inside. Zimmerman had a history of abusing his false power. He came a across an unarmed teenager and decided to abuse his perceived power again. He started a fight with a kid and then shot him when the kid started to kick his while himself. How can it NOT be at least manslaughter? The jury let down many and now they want to maintain their privacy.
    I Agee. He directly caused the death of this teen. No ifs ands or buts in my mind.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I quoted a bunch of you guys but... I just can't with this shit anymore. It's so disgusting to me that this fucking bigot got away with this! So, I'll just post something that I saw on Facebook...

Dear George Zimmerman,
    For the rest of your life you are going to feel what it's like to be a black man in America.

You will feel people stare at you. Judging you for what you think are unfair reasons. You will lose out on getting jobs for something you feel is outside your control. You will believe yourself to be an upstanding citizen and wonder why people choose not to see that.

People will cross the street when they see you coming. They will call you hurtful names. It will drive you so insane some days that you'll want to scream at the top of your lungs. But you will have to wake up the next day, put on a firm look and push through life.

I bet you never thought that by shooting a black male you'd end up inheriting all of his struggles.

Enjoy your "freedom".
    Sincerely,

A black male who could have been Trayvon Martin
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Silver Member

Felt sick last night when the vedict finally sunk in. Websleuths was crazy. There were some who could not or wouldn't consider that Trayvon could have been the one screaming. They went so far as to blame him " for the mess he created, for ruining Zimmermans life." I don't feel safe. Happy that were moving in less than week. I won't miss Florida's crazy.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Felt sick last night when the vedict finally sunk in. Websleuths was crazy. There were some who could not or wouldn't consider that Trayvon could have been the one screaming. They went so far as to blame him " for the mess he created, for ruining Zimmermans life." I don't feel safe. Happy that were moving in less than week. I won't miss Florida's crazy.
    I'm just disgusted with Websleuths. That used to be a sane site. I never thought I'd see the day where the people on Websleuths would cheer the murder of a child and support his killer. Gawker's commentariat has become a cesspool as well. I just read the stories there and barely read the comments anymore.

I also wish the media would stop giving the scuzzy Zimmerman family, especially the useless douchebag brother, so much publicity.

My neighborhood is mostly black, with some whites, Asians and Hispanics. Maybe it was just the heat, but yesterday it was the quietest it has been in years. I'm sure it was the verdict. Usually the kids are out there regardless and someone would have turned the sprinkler on the fire hydrant.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    This is making my head spin and I feel a rage building inside. Zimmerman had a history of abusing his false power. He came a across an unarmed teenager and decided to abuse his perceived power again. He started a fight with a kid and then shot him when the kid started to kick his ass. How can it NOT be at least manslaughter? The jury let down many and now they want to maintain their privacy.
    because the laws in florida (and other states with stand your ground laws) are so skewed in favour of gun owners and their 'right' to shoot first and ask questions later, that all this asshole had to do was say he felt threatened and that it was 'self-defence' and the law was on his side.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    because the laws in florida (and other states with stand your ground laws) are so skewed in favour of gun owners and their 'right' to shoot first and ask questions later, that all this asshole had to do was say he felt threatened and that it was 'self-defence' and the law was on his side.
    Don't you wonder why that doesn't scare everyone? People are now free to attack and claim self-defence, whether you try to stand your ground or not. And it's hard to shoot back when you already have a bullet in your head.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybabe View Post
    I'm just disgusted with Websleuths. That used to be a sane site. I never thought I'd see the day where the people on Websleuths would cheer the murder of a child and support his killer. Gawker's commentariat has become a cesspool as well. I just read the stories there and barely read the comments anymore.

I also wish the media would stop giving the scuzzy Zimmerman family, especially the useless douchebag brother, so much publicity.
    I read some of the most revolting things I have ever seen on the CNN Comments pages. Really disgusting and disturbing. It is so weird that some people are in denial about racism and its role in the case and/or talking about how racist liberals are while at the same time the Comments page is filling up with comments that are ONLY racist. I felt like poking my own eyes out after reading that shit. If a white person like me feels that way, how must a person of color feel?
    rockchick and MentalNotes like this.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

They aren't free to that in my state. here, if you claim self defense you have to actually prove it, unlike FL where the burden of proof is on the state to prove you weren't defending yourself.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thread Information