Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree331Likes

Thread: George Zimmerman Trial

Like everything?
    shedevilang likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I hope this poor kid and his family get justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Something about his statements seemed off to me.
    Perhaps it's the fact that he told at least 3 different versions of his story and at least to my highly logical brain each has contained physical impossibilities.
    shedevilang likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Perhaps it's the fact that he told at least 3 different versions of his story and at least to my highly logical brain each has contained physical impossibilities.
    My understanding is that Zimmerman's account has been very consistent from the beginning. Not to defend him, because this whole thing is on him. My suspicion is that he has left out or lied about some key things, like who confronted whom and whether Martin reached for his gun. I also think that the story Zimmerman has told is maybe the story he told himself to make himself feel OK about what happened, ie, he was reaching for my gun, he was going to kill me, etc.

I fear that Zimmerman will walk and that we'll never know what really happened--that something wrong happened, but no one knows how it went down.

Meanwhile, if the decedent was white and the killer was black, the outcome would be almost forgone.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Gold Member

I hope the jury finds him guilty, but I have this sinking suspicion he'll be acquitted.

How anyone can believe the stories Zimmerman has told is beyond me. Given Zimmerman's past arrests and getting into trouble (domestic violence, public drunkenness, assault of a police officer), there is no doubt he'll pull an OJ and get into trouble again. No doubt about it - he's a lazy, arrogant, racist douchebag who has been a loser his whole life. He'll continue to be one even if he is let off.

I'm hoping that the Martin family can sue in civil court if the criminal verdict does not go their way. Make it so Zimmerman can't profit over murdering Trayvon Martin.

Elite Member

I don't think that Florida law allows civil suits against defendants who aren't convicted.

Zimmerman probably is racist, maybe not on an unusual level though. He's not a very bright man and doesn't seem to have any awareness of his own bigotry. He seems like the less bright child of ambitious and smarter parents. He was never going to live up to their expectations and has only learned to mimic their attitudes. To me it seems like Zimmerman's dad, the retired judge, was the real racist in the house, based on the reviews of his book about the "real racism"in America. It's shocking that man was a judge.

Tomorrow the defense is going to explode at the judge for allowing in lesser charges. They shouldn't get anywhere with their complaints. From what I'm hearing, Florida judges can instruct jurors on lesser charges if they feel it's needed.

In that case, I can't see how the jury CAN"T convict for manslaughter or criminal assault. George Zimmerman confronted TM by getting out of the car with a gun. He was the aggressor. It doesn't matter if Trayvon hit him (though I doubt it, I think Zimmerman just fell), GZ was specifically coming after TM with a deadly weapon. It doesn't matter if GZ was a scared little rabbit, he put himself in that position. Trayvon had nothing to do with it.

It's going to take awhile but I think the jury has to convict GZ of something.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    I don't think that Florida law allows civil suits against defendants who aren't convicted.

Zimmerman probably is racist, maybe not on an unusual level though. He's not a very bright man and doesn't seem to have any awareness of his own bigotry. He seems like the less bright child of ambitious and smarter parents. He was never going to live up to their expectations and has only learned to mimic their attitudes. To me it seems like Zimmerman's dad, the retired judge, was the real racist in the house, based on the reviews of his book about the "real racism"in America. It's shocking that man was a judge.

Tomorrow the defense is going to explode at the judge for allowing in lesser charges. They shouldn't get anywhere with their complaints. From what I'm hearing, Florida judges can instruct jurors on lesser charges if they feel it's needed.

In that case, I can't see how the jury CAN"T convict for manslaughter or criminal assault. George Zimmerman confronted TM by getting out of the car with a gun. He was the aggressor. It doesn't matter if Trayvon hit him (though I doubt it, I think Zimmerman just fell), GZ was specifically coming after TM with a deadly weapon. It doesn't matter if GZ was a scared little rabbit, he put himself in that position. Trayvon had nothing to do with it.

It's going to take awhile but I think the jury has to convict GZ of something.
    Florida is a screwy state. Too bad if it's true the Martin family can't sue Zimmerman.

Interesting about the judge considering lesser charges. Even though I think he's guilty of sin for second-degree murder and should be convicted of such, I don't see this jury convicting him of that. Hopefully if the judge allows manslaughter or assault charges to be added that he gets convicted of something rather than walking scot-free.

^I hope you're right. The thought of this guy walking free makes me feel ill.

ETA this was to Olivia's "they have to convict him of something"
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

he won't testify.

George Zimmerman Declines To Testify At Trial For Shooting Of Trayvon Martin

AP
    |
    By MIKE SCHNEIDER AND KYLE HIGHTOWER
    Posted: 07/10/2013 3:56 pm EDT | Updated: 07/11/2013 12:52 am EDT

SANFORD, Fla. (AP) -- George Zimmerman has declined to testify in his second-degree murder trial.
    The judge asked Zimmerman what his decision was on Wednesday afternoon. He said that he decided not to take the stand after discussing it with his lawyers.

The defense planned to rest later in the afternoon.
    CLICK HERE FOR LIVE UPDATES
    Jurors already have heard Zimmerman's account of his fatal fight with Trayvon Martin from police interview recordings that were played in the courtroom.
    Zimmerman is pleading not guilty, claiming he shot the 17-year-old Martin in self-defense.
    THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

A Florida judge ruled Wednesday that Trayvon Martin's cellphone text messages about fighting and a defense animation depicting the struggle between Martin and George Zimmerman won't be introduced as evidence at Zimmerman's trial. Defense attorneys had wanted to use those pieces of evidence as they conclude their presentation.

Judge Debra Nelson made her ruling a day after she heard arguments on the matter. Prosecutors had claimed the texts were irrelevant and taken out of context. They also objected to the computer animation, questioning its accuracy and saying it would mislead jurors.
    "This is a murder trial. This isn't `Casablanca.' This isn't `Iron Man,'" prosecutor Richard Mantei said.
    The judge seemed concerned about the animation's accuracy during arguments. While the animation can't be introduced as evidence that can be reviewed by jurors during their deliberations, defense attorneys may be able to use it during closing arguments, she ruled.
    "To have an animation go back into jury room that they can play over and over again gives a certain weight to something that this court isn't exactly certain comports with the evidence presented at trial," Nelson said Wednesday night.
    The judge agreed with prosecutors' concerns about introducing the 17-year-old's text messages. But defense attorney Don West had argued the texts were relevant since they showed Martin's interest in fighting and physical capabilities.
    After lunch Wednesday, the judge asked Zimmerman if he had made up his mind on whether to testify. He said he hadn't. Defense attorney Don West objected several times to the judge's question but the judge overruled him.
    Defense attorneys on Wednesday called one of their last witnesses as they started winding down their case. Public safety consultant Dennis Root testified that Martin was in better physical shape than Zimmerman, and that the neighborhood watch volunteer wasn't any athlete.
    "He would find himself lacking when compared to Mr. Martin," Root said of Zimmerman.

During cross-examination of Root, prosecutor John Guy used a life-sized foam mannequin in front of the jury to simulate the body positions of Zimmerman and Martin at the time of the shooting.
    Straddling the dummy, Guy proposed a scenario in which Martin was on top of Zimmerman and asked Root if it was possible that Martin was backing away from Zimmerman at the time of the fatal gunshot.
    "Yes," Root said.
    Root also said he may have taken different actions if he were in Zimmerman's situation, but said that "it's just a matter of what you as the individual view as options."
    Using the same mannequin during further questioning of Root, defense attorney Mark O'Mara challenged the notion of Martin retreating. Root said that while multiple gun angles were possible, he had no specific information to say what position Martin was in when he was shot.
    "I think you're not going to be involved in a conflict like this without it being dynamic," Root said.
    Martin was unarmed and returning from a store when he was fatally shot by Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, during a struggle on a dark, rainy night in February 2012. Martin was black and Zimmerman identifies himself as Hispanic. Some civil rights activists argued that the initial delay in charging Zimmerman was influenced by Martin's race. Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and says he shot Martin in self-defense.
    Defense attorneys have said they are likely to wrap up their presentation on Wednesday after less than a week of calling witnesses. Much of the testimony in previous days has concerned a 911 call made by a witness during the confrontation that includes screams for help. Zimmerman's father, Robert Zimmerman Sr., was the last witness Wednesday to testify it's his son yelling for help on the call.

Convincing the jury of who was screaming for help on the tape has become the primary goal of prosecutors and defense attorneys because it would help jurors evaluate Zimmerman's self-defense claim. Relatives of Martin's and Zimmerman's have offered conflicting opinions about who is heard screaming.

George Zimmerman Declines To Testify At Trial For Shooting Of Trayvon Martin
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Elite Member

Zimmerman only recently started to identify himself as Hispanic. He was born in Virginia and speaks no Spanish. His father is German American. GZ only chooses the Latino label when it's convenient.

ETA: From the clips I saw, George seemed fired up to testify in his own defense. His lawyers had to pull him down off that ledge through sheer will. The judge saw this and even asked him twice, emphasizing it was his own choice, not his attorney's.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

They've started closings. A girl that I work with has a husband that is a Miami Dade cop and they've been instructed that if the verdict comes back not guilty, all officers with report in full riot gear.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I am sure people will go ape shit. I figured it would happen with Casey Anthony, but she skated out of jail just fine.

If he gets off, I expect a full on riot like the Rodney King riots in Inglewood and South central. It will be scary.
    Your penis is NOTHING to brag about! Is it normal for a penis to smell like corn chips?" Lark Voorhees

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    I am sure people will go ape shit. I figured it would happen with Casey Anthony, but she skated out of jail just fine.
    I think most of the Casey Anthony haterz were middle-aged women. They all just went home and bitched about it on the internet.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Hey now!! I was one of those middle-aged women that bitched. Plus,..Iowa was to far away from Florida for me to be waiting on her ass.
    twitchy2.0 and Trixie like this.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information