Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree570Likes

Thread: FIFTY Dead, 53 Injured by Shooter at Orlando Gay Bar

Remember, this is not the time to discuss gun laws and regulations. Not in the middle of a tragedy. Also, I'm sure there wasn't an armed security guard to step in and put an end to this. Please note, I'm rolling my eyes so hard that I think I may have broken one.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, just like was mentioned upthread, if the murder of 20 children didn't change gun laws in this country NOTHING will. Ab-so-fucking-lutely NOTHING. Certainly not 50 innocent people in a gay nightclub. Shameful.

The only way these fools can make sense of the murder of 20 children is to pretend that it never happened. That it was some mass conspiracy.

Fuck.

ETA - apparently, LA police have arrested a heavily armed man in West Hollywood. Apparently there for the Pride festival.
    Sarzy, Janus, JazzyGirl and 12 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogy View Post
    If I just heard CBS correctly, they said this is the 18th time Obama has had to speak after a mass shooting. 18 in 8 years?

eta - apparently, la police have arrested a heavily armed man in west hollywood. Apparently there for the pride festival.
    jfc.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

My heart goes out to the families and friends that she suffered achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by ADel View Post
    I just don't understand how someone living in the US can sympathize with ISIS. I get that growing up immersed in a particular culture could lead to those beliefs but living here? I just don't get it. Radical Islam is just so antithetical to every ideal the US/West holds dear.

There are places for people who believe this way to live. I wish they would just go there. Go to Saudi Arabia already and leave us alone.
    Do you really think that Saudi wants them? Saudi Arabia arrests 431 with ISIS ties - CNN.com
    With regard to not understanding the whys and wherefores, maybe you should look at US Foreign Policy from a less-US position?
    Janus likes this.
    Free Charmed.

ISIS, or their lone-wolf proxies, are going to attack anyone in the coalition who is rolling back their land gains. That includes France, Belgium, United States, and countries to be named later....

By the way, they just lost Sirte, so they are really in a bad, revenge-seeking mood right now.

Important to remember, because all we're going to hear for the next few days is that it was an ISIS supporter, not about how easy it is to access guns, especially automatic weapons.
    *Kat*, BITTER, Brah and 4 others like this.

Per CNN, this POS shooter worked as a security guard for the past 11 years, for a company that may have provided security for airports and federal buildings. Not only in the US, but in other countries. Also, according to CNN, the FBI had him on a watch list of known ISIS sympathizers. So, knowing he was on an ISIS sympathizer watch list, he was able to legally purchase a Glock within the last two weeks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    My heart goes out to the families and friends that she suffered achievements.

Do you really think that Saudi wants them? Saudi Arabia arrests 431 with ISIS ties - CNN.com
    With regard to not understanding the whys and wherefores, maybe you should look at US Foreign Policy from a less-US position?
    There is little difference between the ideology of ISIS and the Wahhabism of Saudi Arabia. House of Saud is worried they'll get tossed and that's the reason for the opposition, not because ISIS is extreme.

Are you implying that US foreign policy is responsible, even marginally, for the massacre of gays and lesbians at Pulse?

*edited, in response to KrisNine. The fact that anyone can buy a glock scares me.

I grew up in a household that supports gun ownership. Both of my brothers and my father have concealed weapons permits. I do not get it. Why does a normal person need to carry a gun 24/7?

They were showing some texts between a mother and her son who was in the bathroom when the gunman came in.She doesn't know what happened or if he's alright. The part that broke my heart was in the text he called her mommy. Now I'm crying. This is so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Per CNN, this POS shooter worked as a security guard for the past 11 years, for a company that may have provided security for airports and federal buildings. Not only in the US, but in other countries. Also, according to CNN, the FBI had him on a watch list of known ISIS sympathizers. So, knowing he was on an ISIS sympathizer watch list, he was able to legally purchase a Glock within the last two weeks!!
    From what I've read, the NRA makes a big deal about people who are put on the watch list being "unfairly deprived of their rights". And advocates for them to still be able to purchase firearms. My guess is that they are going to beat this drum again when people ask about it.

I have no adequate words for this tragedy. My heart goes out to all of the families of those murdered and wounded. I am disgusted by this mass murderer, what a completely vile person.
    stef likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ADel View Post
    I just don't understand how someone living in the US can sympathize with ISIS. I get that growing up immersed in a particular culture could lead to those beliefs but living here? I just don't get it. Radical Islam is just so antithetical to every ideal the US/West holds dear.

There are places for people who believe this way to live. I wish they would just go there. Go to Saudi Arabia already and leave us alone.
    "A motivational factor for the homegrown terrorist is the perceived injustice that their “group” is experiencing. Some individuals may take on a jihadist mission to overthrow their government for ideological reasons while others may join as a movement towards solidarity with the group that they identify with. A common motivational factor that appears in the literature is identity. Membership into a group is a positive attraction for homegrown terrorist (Horgan, 1999). This notion suggests that individuals who feel isolated from the broader society are drawn to membership with a group that they feel gives them an “identity”. The need for belonging is intertwined with the motivation for identity." - Home Grown Terrorism in the United States (US) : Causes, Affiliations and Policy implications, Ashlie Perry & Binneh Minteh

It's not as simple as him wanting to live a certain way. The mechanisms that turn Muslims into potential terrorists are the same as those that turn some Americans into right-wing extremists and militant misogynists. Dylann Roof frequently talked about white people being victimized by blacks in his manifesto and he found home with racists online. Elliot Rodger felt rejected by women and he felt like he belonged and understood when he started frequenting online MRA forums. It's a vicious cycle of marginalization (perceived or otherwise) and radicalization. How we react in the aftermath of such incidents matters too. Unlike incidents of non-Islamic domestic terrorism, a blanket suspicion will inevitably fall on the entire Muslim community in the aftermath, breeding further resentment and marginalization. The west automatically assumes religion to be the prime motive for Islamist terrorism while other acts of terrorism are given a nuanced analysis. This rush to reduce Islamist acts of terror to simplistic one-dimensional terms (aka Islam) is seen by many Muslims as evidence of West's contempt for Islam. This feeling of being marginalized and victimized is exploited by jihadist propagandists ("See, we told you the West hates the Muslims and is never going to accept you as one of their own").

Majority of the Americans were not afraid of white supremacists in the aftermath of the Charleston shooting because it doesn't quite capture the imagination of the public like the foreignness of ISIS or Islamic radicalism does. I'm not looking to absolve terrorists of personal responsibility, but I do believe we need understand the mechanism behind radicalization to prevent such incidents in the future.

I can't believe that creep Dan Patrick is implying the shooter was doing god's bidding. He is even more revolting than I previously thought. It is past time for him and other bigots, regardless of which religious belief system, to face and denounce the terrible acts their reprehensible, stupid "moral codes" inflict on the world. But I guess that, along with better gun control, would be too much to ask.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

These incidents bring out the absolute worst in some people.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information