Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Like Tree570Likes

Thread: FIFTY Dead, 53 Injured by Shooter at Orlando Gay Bar

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    What is disturbing about ISIS is
    ...many many things.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

The problem is that the fundamentalist fringes of most religions, and Islam is no exception, tend to be existentialist with their practice. In other words, it's not enough to worship privately and think of the scripture you are reading as symbolic and/or apocryphal. Instead, it is a guide to your daily existence, even all these thousand-plus years later. You can see it in Orthodox Jewish dietary laws -- not eating pork and shellfish was actually a pretty good idea in 100BC through 600 AD. But now? The only reason to do it is because someone said not to do it way back when. In Israel, and in some parts of the US, Haredim pursue the separation of the sexes almost as zealously as fundamentalist muslims do. Plus, the issue of closing businesses on the day of rest, etc. They aren't content to have their women stay on their own side of the street, or their business be closed on the day of rest - EVERYBODY ELSE has to do it, too.

ISIS presents another problem in that they are not a breakaway version of Islam, but rather a SUPER STRICT (and sadistic) back-to-basics version of Islam. For that reason, young people who want to get with the "authentic" version of this religion may also find their way in its direction. ISIS also attracts basic malcontents, serial killers, spree killers, misogynists, rapists, and people with explosive personalities because there is a VERY wide latitude in their version of jurisprudence that makes it officially "okay" to kill someone for the smallest offense. You want to kill someone? You want to rape underaged girls from fringe minority groups? Welcome to the Levant!
    Like the crusades in the middle ages;
    And like in other religions 'good' muslims are supposed to spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by kasippu View Post
    Like the crusades in the middle ages;
    And like in other religions 'good' muslims are supposed to spread the word.
    That would be great - just like the imam in the temple this guy used to go to. The imam is now saying that he is going to keep a closer watch on what's going on around his temple. Hope it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post
    I left Facebook last December. I knew it was time to leave when it was making me hate people more than I love people. I'm 6 months out and it was the best decision ever.

I actually miss the days when I didn't know if my friends were fans of Glenn Beck.
    I left in February, mostly do to insane drama at work. But I genuinely feel better. And with the sh*t show that's the election, I'm forever grateful to not hate my "friends".

I'm on Instagram & its a much nicer climate with pictures of beautiful places, delicious foods, & adorable animals
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

This lady bought an AR-15 in 7 minutes:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/06/18 ... inutes.cnn

It's just fucking ridiculous.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Orlando Massacre Wasn’t Enough To Spur Senate To Pass Gun Control Bills

Potential terrorists, lone wolves and sleeper cells can still buy all the guns they want.

WASHINGTON — Just over a week after the worst mass shooting in American history, the Senate failed Monday to advance a pair of modest and popular gun violence reform measures.

One would have barred gun sales to anyone who has been on a terrorist watch list in the previous five years or who is “reasonably” suspected of posing a terrorist threat. Another would have tightened the background check system to cover the so-called gun show loophole and all internet gun sales. About 90 percent of the publicfavors such steps.
    But neither of the proposals could get the 60 votes needed to advance.
    The background checks amendment failed, 44 to 56. Sen. Mark Kirk (Ill.) was the only Republican who supported it. Sens. Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.), Jon Tester (Mont.) and Joe Manchin (W.Va.) were the only Democrats who opposed it.
    The terrorist watch list amendment failed, 47 to 53. Kirk and Sen. Kelly Ayotte (N.H.) were the only Republicans who voted for it. Heitkamp was the only Democrat who opposed it.
    A pair of competing amendments by Republicans also failed.
    The votes were scheduled after Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) took control of the Senate floor last week in a 15-hour filibuster-style marathon aimed not at stopping something, but at spurring action on gun violence.
    Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) saw the failure coming, and condemned it Monday, after reciting a long list of recent mass shootings.
    “Instead of getting help from their elected officials, our constituents see a disturbing pattern of inaction,” Reid said. “It’s always the same. After each tragedy we try, we Democrats try to pass sensible gun safety measures. Sadly, our efforts are blocked by the Republicans in Congress who take their marching orders from the National Rifle Association.”
    Republicans who opposed Democrats’ background check and watch list bills favored a measure by Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) — and supported by the National Rifle Association — that would delay a gun sale to someone on a watch list just three days, and require law enforcement to prove probable cause to a judge in order to stop the sale altogether. Democrats ripped that as unrealistic since if investigators have probable cause to suspect someone of terrorism, they would already be under arrest. It failed, 53 to 47.
    The other GOP measure, sponsored by Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), would have given more money to the agency that oversees gun background checks, but wouldn’t have expanded those checks. It also would have made it more difficult to deem people mentally deficient for the purposes of buying, and made it easier to appeal. It failed, 53-47.
    Still, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) cast the GOP measures as common-sense steps aimed at thwarting terrorists and defending individual rights. He blamed law enforcement for not doing enough to curb gun violence. “We know weapons convictions are down more than 30 percent compared to a decade ago,” McConnell said.
    He insisted Republicans were just as interested as Democrats in dealing with the problem.
    “Look, no one wants terrorists to be able to buy guns or explosives. No one,” McConnell said.
    He accused Democrats of merely using the issue to scare up votes.
    “Instead of using this as an opportunity to push a partisan agenda or craft the next 30-second campaign ad, [we] are pursuing real solutions that can help keep Americans safer from the threat of terrorism.”

It's truly astonishing that they couldn't pass a bill that would keep people on the terrorist watch list from buying guns, even something that simple and straight forward was voted down. I would have thought that wording it that way would have allowed some of the Republicans to possibly vote for the bill. I guess even that much gun control would have caused their NRA money to dry up. So frustrating!
    Brookie and MmeVertigina like this.

They are getting into murky area with the mental illness thing. Some in my family take anti-depressants...what do they define as mental illness? I'm not trying to be a dick about guns, but being emotionally reactive is not how anybody should behave considering this subject. I've met some dark SOBs. Guns wouldn't matter, they'd get it done.
    Seapharris7 likes this.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

This is an article from a local paper that I just read and it made me sick.

Key West gun store owner offers to help arm LGBTQ
    He says says sales to LGBTQ are rising
    Gay-themed gun club says Orlando caused by a person, not guns

Like gun store owners across the nation, Dan Acevedo doesn’t have to advertise to sell AR-15 rifles in the wake of a mass shooting that stokes the national argument over gun control.
    The first business day after the Orlando club massacre that left 50 people dead on June 12, including the Florida-grown gunman Omar Mateen, and 53 injured, Acevedo made a special order for the rifle that has become synonymous with mass shootings from Newtown, Conn., to San Bernardino, Calif.

By Friday, he was sold out of the AR-15s that cost around $750 and Acevedo says gun sales are rising among locals who are gay, a claim that anecdotally is being made throughout the county.
    Acevedo, a Key West native and father of three who opened up Southernmost Guns Inc., on an unassuming corner of Stock Island, the scruffy suburb of the expensive tourist town, announced a special discount after Orlando — a first for him.
    For LGBTQs, Acevedo posted Friday on Facebook photos of his stock and trade, with a message of solidarity along with a promise to discount the price of concealed carry classes, which run about $85.

“I want to give back,” said Acevedo, 37, who along with his employees Friday was exhausted after a day of fielding phone calls and customers.
    Acevedo had 30 AR-15s in the back, he said, but they were all spoken for and awaiting final payments or background check results. A new shipment was expected Monday.
    Talk of gun control always spurs on sales, gun sellers know, but whether LGBTQ people are locking and loading post-Orlando remains debatable.
    “I don’t know any friends who rushed out to get a concealed carry permit,” said Steve Smith of Key West, who is one of the locals entrusted with a section of the famous giant rainbow flag unfurled at the annual Pride parade. “You can’t carry a gun into a bar.”

Smith says he has thought about getting a gun but hasn’t followed through.
    “It does give you thought,” Smith said of the Orlando club massacre in which Mateen used a rifle very similar to the AR-15. “We really are vulnerable and a lot of people don’t understand us.”
    From Sunday through Tuesday after the June 12 shooting, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement ran more than 9,800 background checks for gun sales, more than double than the same three-day span a year before, when there were just under 4,500 checks run.
    Don’t call the AR-15, a rifle modeled after the military’s M-16 and coveted in America by collectors and target shooters, an assault rifle in front of the four people left in the gun store Friday evening.

“If I throw this stapler at your head, is it an assault stapler,” said Emily Austin, a Marine stationed in Key West.
    The AR-15 fires fire one round for every trigger pull, while assault rifles fire while the trigger is held down and are severely restricted in the U.S.
    “It’s my go-to gun,” Acevedo said, if his family is ever threatened.
    Material from the Associated Press was used for this report.
    Key West gun seller marketing to LGBTQ | Florida Keys News
    It's nice to know that so many idiots have these guns down here. It really makes me feel safe.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post
    They are getting into murky area with the mental illness thing. Some in my family take anti-depressants...what do they define as mental illness? I'm not trying to be a dick about guns, but being emotionally reactive is not how anybody should behave considering this subject. I've met some dark SOBs. Guns wouldn't matter, they'd get it done.
    I'm against the severely mentally ill having access to AR-15's -- there, I said it.

The AR-15 fires fire one round for every trigger pull, while assault rifles fire while the trigger is held down and are severely restricted in the U.S.

this pisses me off. this is an assault rife (it has a detachable mag, an intermediate cartridge and it's also EASILY converted to a fully automatic trigger). this idiot writer is describing the difference between an automatic and a semi automatic weapon, in an attempt to obfuscate. (automatic weapons have been illegal since the 1930's.)

there is a real effort not to view these high capacity magazine firearms as assault weapons, and it's fucking bullshit. no one hunts with these kind of weapons, and if you do you should find another hobby because you suck.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

“If I throw this stapler at your head, is it an assault stapler,” said Emily Austin, a Marine stationed in Key West.
    "And the victims were all killed by flying staplers," said no person ever.

I think Emily Austin has "gone native" while serving in Key West.....

I'm against the severely mentally ill having access to AR-15's -- there, I said it.
    I appreciate that, but you failed to see the point. "Mentally ill" could, under the government definition, legally mean perfectly normal people on Prozac. I agree the severely mentally ill should be prevented from getting guns. My issue was just how that is defined/determined.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

If someone with a severe unmedicated/untreated mental illness is going to go on a rampage then they'll do it, whether they can get hold of a gun or not. The difference is that someone with, say, a knife is easier to stop and the likelihood of a massive death toll is greatly reduced.

In 1996 Horrett Campbell attacked a primary school in Wolverhampton with a machete. Three children and four adults were badly injured but all survived. In the same year Thomas Hamilton took a gun and attacked a primary school in Dunblane; thirty-two people were injured, seventeen of them (sixteen children and one adult) died as a result.

Neither attack should have happened in an ideal world, but they did and the difference in the level of carnage caused by a knife attack or a gun attack can be stark.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post
    I appreciate that, but you failed to see the point. "Mentally ill" could, under the government definition, legally mean perfectly normal people on Prozac. I agree the severely mentally ill should be prevented from getting guns. My issue was just how that is defined/determined.
    And I'm still against anyone, and I mean anyone, having access to an AR-15.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread Information