Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758
Like Tree640Likes

Thread: Explosions at Boston Marathon

It does worry me that he's going to become some sort of martyr and he'll be glorified for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    The death penalty means nothing. They're right, just years of appeals and drawing out the entire process.

I might consider it if they actually carried it out in a timely fashion. 2-3 yrs of appeals after that, just do it. Or don't do it at all.
    I agree. I don't consider myself a supporter, much less a fan, of the death penalty. But in a few cases, I'm okay with it. And in these rare cases, I believe the execution should be swift and public.

I see no point in worrying about whether or not he'll be considered a martyr. That thinking carries the subconscious pipe dream that there is SOME way to be conciliatory, to make anyone who'd support this man and his acts see things differently. That's rubbish. They will love him no matter what happens to him, and moreover, if we treated him mercifully they'd snicker and call us spineless idiots.

Thing is, the death penalty means nothing if you don't actually carry it out. So let's just throw the dirtbag in solitary--when he's not working his ass off at various grubby prison jobs to earn his keep--and make him live on Lean Cuisines and flat, warm Mountain Dew for forty years, with nothing on his TV but endless reruns of "Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous", an assortment of Christian evangelist sermons, and "Dump Dinners" infomercials. If he behaves, he can have a couple of "Reader's Digests" to look at on alternate Thursdays.
    Last edited by Kathie_Moffett; May 15th, 2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: well, that's my idea of hell anyway. ymmv.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    I agree. I don't consider myself a supporter, much less a fan, of the death penalty. But in a few cases, I'm okay with it. And in these rare cases, I believe the execution should be swift and public.

I see no point in worrying about whether or not he'll be considered a martyr. That thinking carries the subconscious pipe dream that there is SOME way to be conciliatory, to make anyone who'd support this man and his acts see things differently. That's rubbish. They will love him no matter what happens to him, and moreover, if we treated him mercifully they'd snicker and call us spineless idiots.

Thing is, the death penalty means nothing if you don't actually carry it out. So let's just throw the dirtbag in solitary--when he's not working his ass off at various grubby prison jobs to earn his keep--and make him live on Lean Cuisines and flat, warm Mountain Dew for forty years, with nothing on his TV but endless reruns of "Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous", an assortment of Christian evangelist sermons, and "Dump Dinners" infomercials. If he behaves, he can have a couple of "Reader's Digests" to look at on alternate Thursdays.
    Can we change that to, he gets to live on nothing but moldy peanut butter sandwich's, tap water, no television, and if he behaves he can have a couple of Farmer's Digests on alternate Thursdays? That I could get down with as an alternative to the death penalty.
    Living in solitary with a television at my disposal is my idea of a good time.
    Last edited by Clubber Lang; May 16th, 2015 at 01:33 AM. Reason: horrendous grammar
    Kathie_Moffett and Beeyotch like this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Speaking only for myself, I would much rather die than spend life in prison.
    Clubber Lang, nwgirl and czb like this.

sputnik likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

A*O

They should just quietly "disappear" him without notice or fanfare. Nobody will know where he is, alive or dead, just vanished. Personally I'd bury him up to his neck at low tide on a remote beach and let him enjoy watching the tide come in before the fishes pick his bones clean. Circle of life, etc.
    holly likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

It all makes me nervous for some reason. His parents were frightening after the bombings and they clearly have some connections to a militant group. Plus, didn't one of the parents say the US would "pay" if something happened to him?

Personally, I just can't imagine being the one to decide he should die.

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758

Thread Information