Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 LastLast
Like Tree640Likes

Thread: Explosions at Boston Marathon

i'm so sick of idiotic knee-jerk reactions to shit people haven't even read yet. also, it might make people uncomfortable but it's the truth: he was a sweet looking kid. that picture wasn't taken by a professional, that's what he looked like. and mel, yes, people are that slow. if they weren't, there wouldn't be this much outrage over a cover and a story that 99.99999999% of the people bitching about won't even read. because who wants to have an informed opinion anyway, when you can revel in self-righteous moral outrage and pearl-clutching instead?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think the photo used for the cover strikes the wrong note, though. First, because a surprising number of people have said, "You know, Dzhozkar looks kind of hot." Putting a Tiger Beat-style photo on the cover reinforces that kind of cognitive dissonance without shedding any real light or irony on his descent into being a really bad guy.
    nope. i think the picture is perfectly in line with the story. i'll repeat the piece from slate that jerriblank posted above: "By depicting a terrorist as sweet and handsome rather than ugly and terrifying, Rolling Stone has subverted our expectations and hinted at a larger truth. The cover presents a stark contrast with our usual image of terrorists. It asks, “What did we expect to see in Tsarnaev? What did we hope to see?” The answer, most likely, is a monster, a brutish dolt with outward manifestations of evil. What we get instead, however, is the most alarming sight of all: a boy who looks like someone we might know"

also, they most definitely 'shed some light' on his descent into being a bad guy by captioning that same title with the words "the bomber"
    Mel1973, olivia and lizzybabe like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Actually, I think "The Bomber" under the Tiger Beat-style photo is highlighting the irony of this cherubic kid being involved in a horrible bombing.

Once again, I think the cover was a deliberately calculated controversial photo (most of the photos I've seen of him make him look like a scruffy burnout, rather than the newest indie-rock star) that worked well to generate a lot of attention toward the article. And Rolling Stone has a history of attention-grabbing covers - that usually are about entertainers, so, usually only bluenoses get offended.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

^^
    well, of course they want to get attention for the article. i don't think there's anything wrong with that, especially since the article is, by all accounts, a well researched and well written piece of journalism. and the photo grabs your attention and makes a valid argument, so it's not just attention seeking for the sake of attention seeking.
    and while rolling stone is mostly known for writing about music, they do have a long history of 'real' journalism as well and have had some incredible contributing writers over the years.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^
    well, of course they want to get attention for the article. i don't think there's anything wrong with that, especially since the article is, by all accounts, a well researched and well written piece of journalism. and the photo grabs your attention and makes a valid argument, so it's not just attention seeking for the sake of attention seeking.
    and while rolling stone is mostly known for writing about music, they do have a long history of 'real' journalism as well and have had some incredible contributing writers over the years.
    I totally agree. In the end, though, I think there might have been a better way for grabbing attention for the article without using an unduly flattering shot of the guy (he is a scruffy burnout and this photo is atypical) and alienating a bunch of readers who would have otherwise read it. However, I think that the image does dovetail a little with the perception that his friends had of him as basically a sweet guy who would never do something like this.

The Face of Evil

Rolling Stone put Dzhokhar Tsarnev (aka the Boston bomber) on the cover of the magazine. They used the picture most commonly associated with Tsarnev. The howls of outrage began immediately.

How dare they "glamorize" Tsarnev, and make him look like a teen idol? That this picture has been associated with him from the beginning is apparently irrelevant. There has been much wailing, moaning, gnashing of teeth, threatening boycotts, etc. We aren't adult enough to have the conversation about what went wrong in this kid's life that he turned into a terrorist. We just want to yell about a magazine cover.

Why? Because we're a nation of idiots, who apparently need to have the media sanitize images for our protection. (Which is why the foreign versions of many US magazines run different covers overseas.) We can't handle reality - and the reality is that the kid looked like a teen idol. We want our monsters to look like monsters.

Timothy McVeigh might not have looked monsterly enough, so a picture of him looking angry was chosen for this cover. So we didn't miss the point, THE FACE OF TERROR was put on the cover in big letters. Whew. No way to miss that point.

Or the next one. Just in case, they stamped EXECUTION ON HOLD across his face. Hard to miss.

Teenagers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 13 people and injured 24 others when they shot up the school in Littleton, CO. They looked like high school kids, so as a counterbalance, the cover included pictures of all of the dead victims.

We want our monsters to have cloven hooves and horns, so that we can recognize them when we see them. At the same time, we all know that isn't the way it works.

We have all known someone in our community who beats up their wife, or molests kids - people who look perfectly normal.

The boyfriend who hit me so hard he almost broke my jaw back in the early 1980's looked like an average guy. The guy who stalked me for 10 years and sent me nasty, threatening letters was a popular person in the community, beloved by many.

They didn't have swastikas carved on their foreheads, like Charlie Manson. They fit in. They were innocuous. And that is where the REAL terror comes in. Abusers, rapists, and killers walk among us. We can't tell who they are by looking at them. The most ordinary looking people are capable of great evil. Scary? You bet your ass.

We read stories about the guy who suddenly snaps and kills his wife and then himself. We can't see it coming. Just as we can't see the monsters coming. Instead of acknowledging that, it seems we'd rather have the media manipulate us into thinking that we can tell. That monsters DO have a certain look about them.

Now here's a guy who is responsible for thousands of deaths in El Salvador. He signed off on selling weapons to Iran in exchange for the release of US hostages held in Iran. The profit generated from the secret sale of those weapons was used to secretly fund the Nicaraguan Contras, whose death squads were responsible for over 70,000 civilian deaths and too many rapes to count. Yet his smiling face is presented to us (even now, long after his death) as the saintly face of American democracy. His face scares me far more than Tsarnev's ever could.

We want to be manipulated by the media. It's easier that way.

susan the bruce: The Face of Evil

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I actually own the Columbine TIME cover. It's in my wardrobe somewhere.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

THE FACE OF EVIL:

"Responsible for 118,000 civilian illnesses and counting. It's all hot dogs and fun in the sun until someone refuses to get their DPT."

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    The Face of Evil

Rolling Stone put Dzhokhar Tsarnev (aka the Boston bomber) on the cover of the magazine. They used the picture most commonly associated with Tsarnev. The howls of outrage began immediately.

How dare they "glamorize" Tsarnev, and make him look like a teen idol? That this picture has been associated with him from the beginning is apparently irrelevant. There has been much wailing, moaning, gnashing of teeth, threatening boycotts, etc. We aren't adult enough to have the conversation about what went wrong in this kid's life that he turned into a terrorist. We just want to yell about a magazine cover.

Why? Because we're a nation of idiots, who apparently need to have the media sanitize images for our protection. (Which is why the foreign versions of many US magazines run different covers overseas.) We can't handle reality - and the reality is that the kid looked like a teen idol. We want our monsters to look like monsters.

Timothy McVeigh might not have looked monsterly enough, so a picture of him looking angry was chosen for this cover. So we didn't miss the point, THE FACE OF TERROR was put on the cover in big letters. Whew. No way to miss that point.

Or the next one. Just in case, they stamped EXECUTION ON HOLD across his face. Hard to miss.

Teenagers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 13 people and injured 24 others when they shot up the school in Littleton, CO. They looked like high school kids, so as a counterbalance, the cover included pictures of all of the dead victims.

We want our monsters to have cloven hooves and horns, so that we can recognize them when we see them. At the same time, we all know that isn't the way it works.

We have all known someone in our community who beats up their wife, or molests kids - people who look perfectly normal.

The boyfriend who hit me so hard he almost broke my jaw back in the early 1980's looked like an average guy. The guy who stalked me for 10 years and sent me nasty, threatening letters was a popular person in the community, beloved by many.

They didn't have swastikas carved on their foreheads, like Charlie Manson. They fit in. They were innocuous. And that is where the REAL terror comes in. Abusers, rapists, and killers walk among us. We can't tell who they are by looking at them. The most ordinary looking people are capable of great evil. Scary? You bet your ass.

We read stories about the guy who suddenly snaps and kills his wife and then himself. We can't see it coming. Just as we can't see the monsters coming. Instead of acknowledging that, it seems we'd rather have the media manipulate us into thinking that we can tell. That monsters DO have a certain look about them.

Now here's a guy who is responsible for thousands of deaths in El Salvador. He signed off on selling weapons to Iran in exchange for the release of US hostages held in Iran. The profit generated from the secret sale of those weapons was used to secretly fund the Nicaraguan Contras, whose death squads were responsible for over 70,000 civilian deaths and too many rapes to count. Yet his smiling face is presented to us (even now, long after his death) as the saintly face of American democracy. His face scares me far more than Tsarnev's ever could.

We want to be manipulated by the media. It's easier that way.

susan the bruce: The Face of Evil

Yes, yes yes. This times eleventy thousand.

Years ago, I had a female coworker with two kids in high school and a husband who was deployed on a submarine in the Pacific. In the middle of the night, she was receiving incredibly graphic obscene phone calls. She was scared and repulsed and finally got the phone company to trace the calls. The caller turned out to be her son's best friend -- a guy who was in and out of her house all the time and who she would never suspect.

Ewwwww.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Just so I understand... it's wrong of the media to manipulate the masses by showing ugly pictures of bad guys, but it's brilliant journalism when they show a bad guy looking all angelic and sweet?

How about don't manipulate at all. Maybe earn readers by great reporting.

BTW, I will read the article when I get my hands on it. I'm annoyed by media manipulation but I'm not afraid of it nor do it view it as some potential pox on my house should I lay it on the coffee table. I would like the media to treat me like a grown adult capable of understanding who this guy was based on writing the facts versus pretty pics with scary words written on them. But ok.

I don't care that he's on the cover. It bugs me that the photo/cover is reminiscent of the old John Lennon or Jim Morrison covers. They clearly were trying to glamorize him and make it interesting. It's also fair to make an argument that this is a magazine that is marketed to young people who are strongly influenced by image and notoriety. Does this give the wrong message? Go out and do something horrific and we'll celebrate you? Maybe. It seems sensationalist and unnecessary.

And yet, not a single complaint about this one:

levitt, sputnik, Trixie and 1 others like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I don't care that he's on the cover. It bugs me that the photo/cover is reminiscent of the old John Lennon or Jim Morrison covers. They clearly were trying to glamorize him and make it interesting. It's also fair to make an argument that this is a magazine that is marketed to young people who are strongly influenced by image and notoriety. Does this give the wrong message? Go out and do something horrific and we'll celebrate you? Maybe. It seems sensationalist and unnecessary.
    I don't think that's what they're trying to say at all. Tsarnev perhaps doesn't look like what you might imagine a terrorist to look, and it's jarring to realise that the handsome boy on the cover is responsible for death and pain and misery. I'd think that generally people want their monsters to look "evil" and that's just not the case here. It sounds like an interesting article, I'm looking forward to reading it.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Well I know a kid that looks Exactly like him and I always thought, and still do, think that he's a "bad seed".
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Thread Information