Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Like Tree640Likes

Thread: Explosions at Boston Marathon

"Is this for real?! Why don't the VICTIMS get the cover instead? It's sick that no one cares that people died, real people with lives and families, they just care about whatever will sell"
    give me a fucking break! it's called journalism, you fucking idiot. i don't get this mentality and i just can't deal with it. yeah, it sucks for the victims that they were there and maybe some people want to read about them but really, what is there to tell? they were there, kaboom, they were hurt or died. it's tragic, but as much as it sucks for them, that's not the story. the real story here is how these two kids got messed up along the way and ended up doing what they did. how do two kids who for the most part, grew up in the US with little contact with their homeland or islam of any kind, suddenly decide to radicalise. exploring this and writing a story about it doesn't mean they're sensationalising or turning the tsarnaev brothers into martyrs. it's not just these two brothers, there have been stories of immigrant kids radicalising in europe too, even though their parents aren't radical and they didn't grow up with significant ties to their cultures of origin. and it's important to delve into this and find out what's going on and what can be done to stop it. it's complex and it's not just about terrorism, it's about politics and identity and integration or lack thereof, immigration, religion, how host societies treat foreigners, there's just so much involved.
    wilfully ignoring all of that doesn't make you an advocate for victims, it just makes you stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I don't go along with the philosophy that you shouldn't show or discuss people who commit horrible crimes. Pretending they don't exist doesn't do anything, nor do I find that such an article and photo glamorizes the asshole. It's valuable to understand how someone like him can end up with the mindset he did.
    this. but so many people just like to have a knee-jerk reaction without actually reading the story.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

well, I'll agree that it may be informative but I don't know that a Rolling Stone article is going to help people understand this type of thing.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^^
    why? i know they suck now but they used to have very serious journalism. perhaps this is them trying to return to that type of story?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

let us hope so.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

i think it's legit.
    the story is written by contributing editor janet reitman. these are the pieces she's written for RS recently:
    Janet Reitman | Rolling Stone

as you can see, there are several about bradley manning, the dartmouth hazings, haiti and scientology.

she's also written a book about scientology. there's an interview of her with the village voice here: Janet Reitman: An Interview with the Author of Inside Scientology - New York - News - Runnin' Scared
    and another in slate. also related to the scieno book: Inside Scientology: author Janet Reitman discusses the impressive Scientology schools, the church's efforts to recruit African-Americans, and why celebrities don't help bring new followers. - Slate Magazine

In this case, I think it might be too soon to put this on the cover. An article, I could understand, but not the cover. You know, the people who were/are victims - for them, I think this is a little fresh. Educate the public, but don't shove in their face.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

see, i don't get that. it's a huge piece of news. of course people are going to want to report on it, read about it. you can't sweep it under the rug because it might make people uncomfortable.
    what about drones? where is the concern that the civilians in countries the US is at war with whose relatives were killed by air strikes might be hurt by news coverage? what about the congo? or haiti? you think the victims of those conflicts don't have relatives? and yet people still write stories about that. or is it just too soon because the victims are american?

I think it's perfectly legit to do a news story on him and his brother. They are news.

The photo is a bit glam tho which bothers me. Soft lens, perfect light, tousled hair. Given our media's propensity to sensationalize even the most serious stories, I'm giving the side eye to the cover (this is probably the most press Rolling Stone has gotten in ages). No way to I think this guy should be glamorized.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post

The photo is a bit glam tho which bothers me. Soft lens, perfect light, tousled hair. Given our media's propensity to sensationalize even the most serious stories, I'm giving the side eye to the cover (this is probably the most press Rolling Stone has gotten in ages). No way to I think this guy should be glamorized.
    besides the fact that, yes, magazines are in the business of, you know, selling magazines, i think the picture is kind of the point. it's the juxtapposition of the cute, tousled-haired, doe-eyed kid and the words 'the bomber' right under it, as if to beg the question: is this the face of a terrorist? and it goes with the story: how does a kid, by all accounts smart, nice, promising, transform into a mass killer?
    btw, the picture in this article is cropped, this is what the whole cover looks like:

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    see, i don't get that. it's a huge piece of news. of course people are going to want to report on it, read about it. you can't sweep it under the rug because it might make people uncomfortable.
    what about drones? where is the concern that the civilians in countries the US is at war with whose relatives were killed by air strikes might be hurt by news coverage? what about the congo? or haiti? you think the victims of those conflicts don't have relatives? and yet people still write stories about that. or is it just too soon because the victims are american?
    I don't need to see it swept under a rug, I think there needs to be information made available - articles written. Frankly, I don't see what nationality has to do with it. I put these guys up there the same as the Columbine shooters, the Sandy Hook shooter, the theater shooter, etc.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

it's a huge story. huge stories belong on covers.

Well, I'm not going to take to FB and protest or anything. I don't find it "offensive", per se. Murderers are murderers.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Why the @RollingStone Boston cover is actually a brilliant piece of journalism

Rolling Stone has unveiled its next cover, featuring a dreamy photo of Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, and many people have erupted in outrage. Some critics say the image depicts Tsarnaev as a kind of celebrity; others believe it turns him into a martyr. Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick called the cover “out of taste,” while CVS has banned the issue “out of respect for the victims of the attack and their loved ones.” A smaller chain of New England stores is also boycotting the magazine for “glorify[ing] evil actions.” Never mind that the picture itself once appeared on the front page of the New York Times; when Rolling Stone uses it, they’re “tasteless,” “trashy,” and “exploitative.”

As the Washington Post’s Erik Wemple points out, the image is exploitative—but it isn’t just exploitative: It’s also smart, unnerving journalism. By depicting a terrorist as sweet and handsome rather than ugly and terrifying, Rolling Stone has subverted our expectations and hinted at a larger truth. The cover presents a stark contrast with our usual image of terrorists. It asks, “What did we expect to see in Tsarnaev? What did we hope to see?” The answer, most likely, is a monster, a brutish dolt with outward manifestations of evil. What we get instead, however, is the most alarming sight of all: a boy who looks like someone we might know.

Judging from the article itself, the image is disconcertingly apt. The story, a two-month investigative report by Janet Reitman, tracks Tsarnaev’s tragic, dangerous path from a well-liked student to a monster, focusing on the increasing influence of radical Islam. (The headline on the cover suggests as much; those immediately outraged by the picture might do well to read the accompanying text.) That slide from likable teenager to troubled murderer is a potent narrative—and not a new one. Time magazine profiled the Columbine shooters through a similar lens, calling them “the monsters next door” on their cover and asking, “What made them do it?”

Few people complained, however, when the Columbine shooters graced the cover of Time, perhaps in part because that magazine is devoted primarily to news, whereas Rolling Stone devotes more space to music and culture. And it’s certainly true that Rolling Stone’s cover is prime celebrity real estate; many forget that the late Michael Hastings’ explosive piece on General Stanley McChrystal was tucked in an issue featuring Lady Gaga on the cover.

But Rolling Stone has published several other terrific works of journalism, and its editors have stood by their cover. And they are right to do so. They are not “glorifying” anyone. Whatever “glory” this cover brings is more in line with infamy than celebrity; after all, the text of the cover describes him as “the bomber” and “a monster.” Yes, the editors were surely aware that Tsarnaev has attracted a bizarre fan base of young women professing their crushes and asserting his innocence. But it’s ridiculous to assume that the magazine was playing off his strange cult following—an assumption we would never make for Time or the New York Times.

We may want the media to reconfirm for us that psychopaths are crazed, nutty, creepy recluses whom we can easily identify and thus avoid. But, as this cover reminds us, that simply isn’t the case. Some psychopaths point guns at cameras; others snap selfies in T-shirts. As Tsarnaev’s many friends could attest, we aren’t as good as we’d like to believe at spotting the evil beneath the surface.
    Rolling Stone cover with Boston Bomber Dzokhar Tsarnaev, aka Jahar, is good journalism. (PHOTO)
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

We may want the media to reconfirm for us that psychopaths are crazed, nutty, creepy recluses whom we can easily identify and thus avoid. But, as this cover reminds us, that simply isn’t the case. Some psychopaths point guns at cameras; others snap selfies in T-shirts. As Tsarnaev’s many friends could attest, we aren’t as good as we’d like to believe at spotting the evil beneath the surface.

Really? I think everyone knows that someone can look completely normal and be a psychopath. Hell, if we're SLOW, we learned that with Ted Bundy!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

The article sounds great - I've only seen the bulleted summary, but it sounds like they have a lot of extra (and illuminating) information. And I agree that Dzhozkar should be on the cover and not the victims - because he is the subject of the piece. I think the photo used for the cover strikes the wrong note, though. First, because a surprising number of people have said, "You know, Dzhozkar looks kind of hot." Putting a Tiger Beat-style photo on the cover reinforces that kind of cognitive dissonance without shedding any real light or irony on his descent into being a really bad guy. Rolling Stones editors almost certainly had discussions about this and knew that the controversy would drive more readers to the article. I think it would have been more consistent to use a blown-up photo of Dzhozkar walking away from the bomb scene with the goofy slacker look on his face:

Thread Information