Page 40 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Like Tree640Likes

Thread: Explosions at Boston Marathon

I'm kind of aghast that a guy as intelligent as Glenn Greenwald wrote that article.

Loughner, Lanza, Holmes, Harris and Klebold -- all of their crimes were characterized by mentally unhinged shooters - and their descent into mentally deranged violence was seen by a lot of people. Tsarnaev's not so much. In Dzhokhar's case, he was universally described as normal and likable. People never saw it coming

Loughner, Lanza, Holmes, Harris and Klebold -- in three of these events, the people killed themselves at the scene (Lanza, Klebold, Harris). Two of the other people never even bothered to leave the scene (Holmes, Loughner). In the Tsarnaev's case, they almost seamlessly blended back into the crowds. And were on the lam for at least a couple of days. But they were tripped up by pervasive video technology.

Loughner, Lanza, Holmes, Harris and Klebold -- none of their crimes appeared to be striking out in the name of an ideology, nor were they affiliated with a group that advocated violence. Tamaran Tsarnaeve did start to embrace militant islam in 2009. He was flagged by Russia as possible associating with extremist groups. He posted terrorist videos to his Youtube account.

Loughner, Lanza, Holmes, Harris and Klebold --the effect of their atrocities was not to shut down an entire town and have people fearing of where they would strike next. The Tsarnaev's had Boston paralyzed for almost a week. That is almost the definition of terrorist intent.

Dzhokhar is entitled to a legal presumption of innocence until proven guilty. But it is laughable to say it in any other context.

I'm not aghast. I'm quite surprised the simple and clear point was missed.

But that is sort of the point that was being made as well.
    sputnik likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Greenwald's article builds to the thesis below. And he fails to support it.

It's hard not to suspect that the only thing distinguishing the Boston attack from Tucson, Aurora, Sandy Hook and Columbine (to say nothing of the US "shock and awe" attack on Baghdad and the mass killings in Fallujah) is that the accused Boston attackers are Muslim and the other perpetrators are not.

As already mentioned, the fact that they are muslim is hardly the only other distinguishing feature between what they did and what happened at Columbine, Aurora, etc.

Tim McVeigh committed an act of terrorism that is much more similar to what these guys did. He was affiliated with an extremist group. He surreptitiously planted a bomb at a civilian target. And then he attempted to get away. The net effect, besides carnage, was to make people fear that other attacks might occur. But, like, the Tsarnaev's, he wasn't that clever, and was caught.

I do not yet know what the real motivation was, and will not pretend to. I know they were muslim, and that one may have been a radical.

Other than that, I know bupkes about what actually motivated them. It may have been political, it may have been religious. Or it may have been a Leopold & Loeb type deal where two nutjobs decided to kill just for the thrill. I'm waiting for some actual information.

There's been a ridiculous amount of incorrect info out there on this case so far. I keep that in mind.
    stef and twitchy2.0 like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I don't think we can really compare any of these cases quite yet - we know pretty much nada about Dzhokhar and there are thousands upon thousands of official documents out there about the others. Plus I'm not sure I agree with all the points you made Mo, but it's late and I could end up writing a sleep-deprived 'festo...(no one wants that, trust me).
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    I don't think we can really compare any of these cases quite yet - we know pretty much nada about Dzhokhar and there are thousands upon thousands of official documents out there about the others. Plus I'm not sure I agree with all the points you made Mo, but it's late and I could end up writing a sleep-deprived 'festo...(no one wants that, trust me).
    I'm just as prepared as anyone to sit back and see what everyone else finds out (although, you'd never know it by my incessant posting). I agree that there is a lot more to find out and we could be very surprised at the twists and turns this case and investigation will take.

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    I don't think we can really compare any of these cases quite yet - we know pretty much nada about Dzhokhar and there are thousands upon thousands of official documents out there about the others.
    that's precisely the point, which people seem to be missing, whether purposefully or accidentally, i don't know. we don't know yet if it's terrorism. and yet everyone - including the president - has jumped on the terrorism bandwagon based solely on the fact that these 2 guys were muslim.
    if you go to the link, greenwald has since updated it and added another part, the end of which concludes:

The most bizarre statement from Andrew is also quite revealing: "but does Glenn wonder why Tamerlan thought it was ok to beat his wife, whom he demanded convert to Islam?" In case Andrew doesn't know, domestic violence in the US is at epidemic levels, and the overwhelming majority of men who abuse women have nothing whatsoever to do with Islam. Yet with this claim, Andrew simply assumes that any bad act done by a Muslim - even a bad act committed mostly by non-Muslims - must be caused by Islam, even though he has no evidence to prove this. This irrational, evidence-free assumption of causation that Andrew so perfectly illustrates here (any bad act committed by a Muslim is, ipso facto, motivated by religious or political Islam) is precisely what I was describing and denouncing. And it only rears its ugly head when the perpetrator is Muslim.
    twitchy2.0 and witchcurlgirl like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

well y'all forgot about the Chechnya/Dagestan connection, and that the older dude just spent 6 months there last year and has been described as increasingly committed to Islam to the point of extremism. Come on...if he was just an ordinary Muslim dude that had no connection to an insurgent area, I'd agree with y'all that his religion is being overplayed.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

It's a terrorist act. Blowing up two bombs in a coordinated fashion in a public square and indiscriminately mutilating and killing scores of people and paralyzing a city with fear for 5 days is the essence of a terrorist act.
    Butterfly, rollo, laynes and 4 others like this.

^ yes it is, but then so is any mass shooting.

it what motivates one, that really makes them a 'terrorist' in our parlance.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    well y'all forgot about the Chechnya/Dagestan connection, and that the older dude just spent 6 months there last year and has been described as increasingly committed to Islam to the point of extremism. Come on...if he was just an ordinary Muslim dude that had no connection to an insurgent area, I'd agree with y'all that his religion is being overplayed.

I believe that info is still unconfirmed, just like dozens of other wild rumors that floated around last week. I don't see what's wrong with waiting for official word. If there is a continued threat, the gubmint will let us know in some fashion.
    Last edited by greysfang; April 22nd, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

no terrorist organisation has claimed responsibility for the bombings, and ramzan kadyrov issued a statement distancing himself and his country from the two boys and saying they spent most of their lives in america. yes, the older brother allegedly spent months there but until more information comes out about what he actually did there and whether or not he actually made any connections with terrorist organisations there, it's premature to be calling this terrorism.
    which doesn't make the bombings any less tragic, it just means that it's not going to be a simple act of pointing fingers overseas to find an explanation. and even if they do turn out to have links, the fact remains they spent the majority of their lives in the US, and their most formative years, and that it's important to find out what went wrong in their lives that pushed them to radicalise, if that is indeed what happened and they didn't have other motivations.
    my gut tells me that they were more wannabe jihadists than actual jihadists, that the older brother went there looking for roots or some sense of belonging, but i seriously doubt he made any serious contacts with terrorist organisations and though the idea of jihad and radical islam might have been a factor in their minds, this will be more about 2 fucked up young men who were alienated and violent and decided to take it out on the general public.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

The Aussie media is bending over backwards NOT to use the "M" or the "I" word in their extensive reporting. I don't think it's because they don't want to draw any misleading conclusions; it's more about being terrified of the howls of indignant outrage that would inevitably follow from the people they are allegedly traducing by daring to suggest there may be a religious link to this crime.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

So sad, they were really cute normal-looking kids.

Here is the link to where the pic came from, but I hate the article because its blasting all Tamerlan's wife's business everywhere. If she knew something, fine, but if she's completely innocent this is a huge irresponsible invasion.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev's wife: How Katherine Russell became the Muslim convert widow of Boston bomber | Mail Online
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

When did we find out why Lanza did what he did?

The older brother's behavior of posting videos and becoming increasingly more extreme in his views could be compared to some little shit playing a fuck ton of video games or REALLY liking Marilyn Manson & KMFDM.

For all we know the older brother was stunted and immature; so he was basically at the mental age others in the comparison. He pushed away most of the people in his life with his extreme behavior and imagine if extremists didn't even want him now? Oh I bet he was going to show everyone. Just because he was Muslim doesn't make mental health not the issue here, it's obvious the guy had some major problems.
    olivia and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Thread Information