Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
Like Tree640Likes

Thread: Explosions at Boston Marathon

1984...now that's ironic isn't it?
    MohandasKGanja and greysfang like this.

From backpacks to 'flash-bangs': Boston's week of terror - CNN.com

This is CNN's timeline. It addresses the issue of one brother driving over the other. They say he was dragged down the street. Maybe his legs had injuries that were consistent with that but his torso did not look like it had been dragged (maybe the explosives he was wearing protected him), nor did his face or neck. Usually with dragging you'll see degloving injuries (seriously, do not google!) or, at the very least, some sort of road rash.

Still trying to figure out the MIT cop connection. As some have said upthread, maybe they were planning a campus bombing but were derailed by running across a cop.

A*O

Nah. This guy lost his right to have rights when he deliberately set out to kill and maim his victims.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Nah. This guy lost his right to have rights when he deliberately set out to kill and maim his victims.
    Which could be said for many, many suspects under a wide variety of conditions. What is the defining point for THIS guy not receiving his due process rights of any other US citizen?
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

And let's not forget that the Boston Irish were one of the main financiers of the IRA, who blew up women & children indiscriminately - so by your reasoning, they have already funded mass terrorism themselves and have lost their rights to rights....

and for everyone else - sorry to bring it up in this thread, it's probably neither the time nor the place but it has preyed on my mind considerably this weekend.
    The fundraisers for the Irish "Freedom Fighters"/"terrorists" paid to do exactly this in Ireland for a long time.
    Sarzy likes this.
    Free Charmed.

A*O

Exactly. It's an uncomfortable truth for many people. Not all terrorist nutters are Islamic extremists and the IRA was (is) generously funded by their US cousins. Oh and the so-called Irish "troubles" are still festering under the surface with sub-sub-sub groups at war with the Govt and each other.

Look, I admit Im yanking you chain about the civil rights for turrists thing but Im sick of the prevailing trend to avoid stating the obvious for fear of appearing politically incorrect or to be 'popular'. I know many (most?) of you disagree with a lot of what I think and say about almost everything but Im rapidly moving into Grumpy Old Woman territory these days so get over it. Hmphhhh! Im always happy to have a debate with intelligent, well informed bitches.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

sputnik, twitchy2.0 and sluce like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Just seen photos that show Krystle Campbell didn't die immediately like I had assumed/hoped, she's screaming for help. If anyone wants to see them I can provide the links, but they are truly heart-wrenching. I'm speechless.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

All these kind of acts are horrible to the victims, and that doesn't matter if they are innocent men women & children or soldiers, there are all someone's family, child, friend, etc.
    These acts are appalling.
    levitt likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Just a BTW- The current actions do not truly stem from the 1984 public safety exception, but from this administrations expanded take on that ruling re: 'terrorists' back in 2009 and 2011, which occurred without the average schmuck noticing or caring.

Obama administration keeps new policy on Miranda secret - Salon.com

Obama rolls back Miranda rights - Salon.com

Experts: Obama Admin Pioneering Robust Use Of Miranda Exception In Terrorism Cases (VIDEO) | TPMMuckraker
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

The Obama Administration has expanded the boundaries of the Public Safety Exception, but even if they had not, this exception would still be available to them for questioning Dzhokhar. In fact, the risk to the general public is even graver than the situation that sparked the New York v Quarles case and created the exception in the first place.

The NY case was meant to be a narrow window, not an open ended exception to the Miranda rule.

Justice Thurgood Marshall, warned that this exception would dilute Miranda and ensure abuse.

The police have always had the power to question a suspect about imminent threats without Mirandizing him; indeed, they are free to question suspects about anything without first reading them their Miranda rights.

But pre-Miranda statements were not admissible, could not be used to prosecute the person. This new 1984 "public safety" exception to that long-standing rule, Marshall said, gutted the Fifth Amendment's guarantee that one will not be compelled to incriminate oneself.

That exception, in this case, doesn't bother me in the least.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    But pre-Miranda statements were not admissible, could not be used to prosecute the person. This new 1984 "public safety" exception to that long-standing rule, Marshall said, gutted the Fifth Amendment's guarantee that one will not be compelled to incriminate oneself.
    The Public Safety Rule does not remove Tsarnaev's right to remain silent and request an attorney. It only allows the police to not inform him of that right while they ask him questions that might elicit information whether the activities he engaged in, and materials he left behind, still exhibit a risk to public safety. They are not asking Tsarnaev these questions in order to gather more evidence against him. There is a mountain of forensic evidence tying him to the crime. The questioning is being conducted to ascertain whether there still risks to the public. For example, did he make more bombs that haven't been found yet? Was he working in concert with other conspirators?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The Public Safety Rule does not remove Tsarnaev's right to remain silent and request an attorney.
    Source?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Thread Information