Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
Like Tree640Likes

Thread: Explosions at Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    ^ But then the younger of the two, the one on the run, has had people already come out and say he was popular and friendly and they would never think he could do something like this.
    Yes, but he had a brother who was likely a strong influence on him. Particularly if the parents were not around.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

My point was more that you can't just label these kids 'losers' and have people think oh yeah, so that's why.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    yes, as a small child. Any sort of radicalization would have happened later.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Yeah but how long ago was that and how old was he when he attended that school? You think that was the formative experience that radicalised him? I seriously doubt it.
    Well, considering some of the anti-American shit I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised. Some people have that hatred hammered into them from birth. Not necessarily THIS case, but it does happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It definitely seems to have happened much later. What I don't get, though, is why he felt so disconnected from American culture and mores.
    And if you feel so fucking disconnected, how 'bout getting the fuck out? Take a stand, kick rocks.
    The Guardian's Miriam Elder reports on an Instagram post by the Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov. "Any attempt to make a link between Chechnya and the Tsarnaevs, if they are guilty, is in vain," Kadyrov writes.
    The brothers are said by friends and family to have been of Chechen descent and to have grown up in Kyrgyzstan, but there is no established link between the suspects and the political situation in Chechnya. Here's Miriam:

Ramzan Kadyrov, the ruthless leader of Chechnya, took to Instagram, his favourite medium, to distance his republic from the suspects.
    “Tragic events happened in Boston. As a result of a terrorist attack, people were killed. We already expressed our condolences to the residents of the city and to the people of America.
    Today, as the media report, a certain Tsarnaev was killed during a detention attempt. It would be logical if he was detained and an investigation was conducted, all the circumstances and degree of his guilt explained. Apparently, the special forces needed a result at any price to calm society.
    Any attempt to make a link between Chechnya and the Tsarnaevs, if they are guilty, is in vain. They grew up in the US, their views and beliefs were formed there. The roots of evil must be searched for in America. The whole world must battle with terrorism.
    We know this better than anyone. We wish recover to all the victims and share Americans' feeling of sorrow.”

Boston manhunt for bomb suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
    what an asswipe! I have NO doubt that the cops wanted these 2 ALIVE. They have proven that they don't want to be taken alive. I hope white hat is caught alive.. but who the hell can believe anything these murderous fucks have to say?
    ^ But then the younger of the two, the one on the run, has had people already come out and say he was popular and friendly and they would never think he could do something like this.
    Yeah, but we see this with a lot of these people. It's like one day, something just snaps - and just for shits and giggles, let me take my brother along on the ride!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Yes, but he had a brother who was likely a strong influence on him. Particularly if the parents were not around.
    I just don't get it with either of these guys. The younger one was a really good wrestler in high school. He had won scholarship money for college. I'm hearing he was on break from U Mass Amherst. He parties and people liked him.

The older one was a golden gloves boxer. I heard he had a wife/gf and a 3-year-old. Was he some kind of grifter, though? His Amazon wishlist is full of stuff that productive members of society don't wish for. He seems more like an Eric Harris than anything else.

That's what I was trying to say, Mo. That you get people coming out saying these guys were nice and friendly or whatever else, then others saying they were losers. It just sounds an awful lot like Harris/Klebold.
    shedevilang likes this.

Silver Member

I'm watching a press conference with I believe is the Uncle. One of the reporters asked if he was ashamed of them.

I saw the uncle, he did say he was ashamed of them. He was also worried that they brought shame on his family and Chechens.

On NBC, they just have one person after another who knew them growing up, talking about how nice the kid was, how happy, and funny, and successful. It's going to burst the stereotype that all the people that do things like this are antisocial, awkward, friendless zealots. I'm sure there's more to it than that, I just find these sorts of testimonials interesting. If you know nothing but good about somebody, your brain can't process they're capable of this. It's hard enough to process that strangers are capable of this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

The uncle is in a fury at them. He is livid.
    Oh well. Every family has its problems.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Interesting that the uncle really hasn't much positive to say, but everyone else does. I thought the uncle was a very compelling speaker.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I saw the uncle, he did say he was ashamed of them. He was also worried that they brought shame on his family and Chechens.

On NBC, they just have one person after another who knew them growing up, talking about how nice the kid was, how happy, and funny, and successful. It's going to burst the stereotype that all the people that do things like this are antisocial, awkward, friendless zealots. I'm sure there's more to it than that, I just find these sorts of testimonials interesting. If you know nothing but good about somebody, your brain can't process they're capable of this. It's hard enough to process that strangers are capable of this.
    I think a lot of people like to paint these murderers as friendless or loners because it's an easier answer to 'why'. I'm sure many had friends and to some were funny, happy, smart, friendly, etc.

I think a lot of people like to paint these murderers as friendless or loners because it's an easier answer to 'why'. I'm sure many had friends and to some were funny, happy, smart, friendly, etc.
    I agree. It makes me laugh (not in a good way) what stereotypes people put out there and are willing to believe. I also think it's interesting that these stories are showing up in the mainstream media. It really is so much easier to distrust people that are different than you or strange or quiet. But when people that you like and trust and go to parties with or play sports with snap, who can you trust?
    ~Manx Mouse

My point was more that you can't just label these kids 'losers' and have people think oh yeah, so that's why.
    No, but it seems like one of them (the elder) certainly felt like he didn't belong.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Well I can't disagree with that!

Maybe they were funny, friendly and happy and then something changed? It's been known to happen in Europe as well - young men originally from other countries, immigrate as children and live in their adopted countries the vast majority of their lives (or are even born there), no link to their country of origin, and then suddenly, usually because of some setback, personal or professional, or because of the influence of others, or because they don't feel they fit in and feel a need to connect to their roots, or feel that their adopted country has betrayed them and doesn't accept them, become disenfranchised and alienated and develop extremist ideas and decide to do something like this.
    levitt, McJag, Jana and 1 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

About the losers comment, I only heard the quote once, but I thought the uncle said they were losers because of their recent actions, that they're going around killing people makes them losers? Maybe I misinterpreted it? The uncle is very emotional and angry right now, so I don't really blame him for using that word, but I agree it's not a catchall phrase for what drove these kids to do this.
    levitt and twitchy2.0 like this.
    ~Manx Mouse

Thread Information