Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
Like Tree640Likes

Thread: Explosions at Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    1: Mike Mulugeta Suspect 2: Sunil Tripathi"

First name is Ethiopian. The second is a missing Brown student, Indian ethnicity, born in the USA. He's been missing from school for over a month.

Mike was killed by a bomb strapped to his chest.
    This is really disgusting news reporting. I've been watching CNN and realized that no names had been mentioned and with good reason. Twitter and Facebook can go straight to hell. Plus I've been surfing five news channels and they all say something different. It is just like Newtown. Sensationalism and ratings.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev
    Will Box For Passport - Images | Johannes Hirn

"Tamerlan says he doesn't usually take his shirt off so girls don't get bad ideas: "I'm very religious."Tamerlan fled Chechnya with his family because of the conflict in the early 90s, and lived for years in Kazakhstan before getting to the United States as a refugee.
    Originally from Chechnya, but living in the United States since five years, Tamerlan says: "I don't have a single American friend, I don't understand them."
    Tamerlan says he doesn't drink or smoke anymore: "God said no alcohol." A muslim, he says: "There are no values anymore," and worries that "people can't control themselves."

I'm sorry, I don't know why it's blue.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    . I can't imagine why Chechens would be targeting the US instead of Russia, though.
    they aren't. It's just two guys.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Views from some of the houses in Watertown:

The older brother was 26 not 20 apparently

According to Twitchy's link, he wanted to compete for the US at the Olympics in boxing because he'd rather compete for the US than Russia. Jesus. What a chilling link. People are speculating he was radicalized in Chechnya, but he's been in the States for 5 years.

ETA: A friend of the guys gave an interview. Apparently they live with their parents and have for years, were "normal American boys" not loners, focused on sports, no red flags... I just don't know what to think.
    Last edited by Rusalka; April 19th, 2013 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    People are speculating he was radicalized in Chechnya, but he's been in the States for 5 years.
    Probably just a misfit.

I don't know if this is the case but I was reminded of people I knew from Vietnam. People my age were okay because they grew up here, grew up speaking the language and fit in well but many of them had older siblings who knew nothing but war as children, then came here. The culture shock, combined with the inability to communicate, caused them to pull back from society. A bunch of them got into trouble in gangs and other criminal activity and always seemed angry. Lashing out. They hadn't wanted to leave all they knew but it was their parent's decision to emigrate.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Uncle giving interview on link I gave

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    According to Twitchy's link, he wanted to compete for the US at the Olympics in boxing because he'd rather compete for the US than Russia. Jesus. What a chilling link. People are speculating he was radicalized in Chechnya, but he's been in the States for 5 years.

ETA: A friend of the guys gave an interview. Apparently they live with their parents and have for years, were "normal American boys" not loners, focused on sports, no red flags... I just don't know what to think.
    i don't think they were "normal". none of those quotes from twitchy's link indicates "normal american boys" to me.

"I don't have a single American friend, I don't understand them."

"Tamerlan says he doesn't usually take his shirt off so girls don't get bad ideas:

Tamerlan says he doesn't drink or smoke anymore: "God said no alcohol." A muslim, he says: "There are no values anymore," and worries that "people can't control themselves."

none of those statements are "normal american boy" statements.

So according to the article Twitchy posted, one of the bombers says he's Muslim? I was hoping they wouldn't be as some people(not on here) were so desperate for them to be.

Smoke, possible bomb detonated? Gunfire

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    i don't think they were "normal". none of those quotes from twitchy's link indicates "normal american boys" to me.

"I don't have a single American friend, I don't understand them."

"Tamerlan says he doesn't usually take his shirt off so girls don't get bad ideas:

none of those statements are "normal american boy" statements.
    I certainly don't think they were normal, I'm just posting what the interviewee said.

Sorry for all the double posts.

"In the WBZ-TV phone interview, the man the station identified as the uncle of the suspects, called the older brother "a loser." He said the brothers came to the US in 2000 or 2001. They went to college, he said, but not in Boston. He said the younger brother, Dzhokha, was a good student. He also said the brothers' parents are back in Russia."
    In the WBZ-TV phone interview, the man the station...

-- Stephen Hawking

The uncle didn't seem like he was particularly connected. He hadn't even seen the photos, he had his wife show them to him while on the phone interview. He didn't really recognise them, said he hadn't spoken to them in years, didn't know one of them had died. It was a bit weird.

Djohar Tsarnaev

The younger brother's Russian social networking page.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Elite Member

My 23 year old niece lives in Watertown. She is on lock-down in her house now.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Thread Information