Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Like Tree640Likes

Thread: Explosions at Boston Marathon

I can't start threads anymore, so can someone please start one? Thanks! MIT Says There's a Shooter on the Loose and an Officer Down on Campus - Adam Clark Estes - The Atlantic Wire
    MIT Says There's a Shooter on the Loose and an Officer Down on Campus

Reuters

Adam Clark Estes 11:01 PM ET
    Updated 11:21 p.m.: MIT issued an emergency alert at 10:48 on Thursday night reporting shots fired on the university campus. MIT's school newspaper, The Tech, reports, "Shots fired near 32 Vassar St (Stata Center), police officer down. Please stay inside." That report is backed up by CBS News's Bonney Kapp who reports hearing "officer down" on the police scanner just before the MIT alert went out. The Tech followed up a few minutes later, reporting that the injured officer was from MIT Police and was being taken to Mass. General Hospital. For now, details are scarce, but the suspect is on the loose and considered armed and extremely dangerous.
    Police are on the scene and searching for the suspect, while the university's ordered all students and staff to remain indoors.

Image via Twitter / Matt Tomlin
    The following photo of the scene of the shooting is graphic:

Image via Twitter / The Tech
    This is a developing story. We'll update you as new information comes in.
    Building 32 is circled in red:

Want to add to this story? Let us know in comments. You can share ideas for stories on the Open Wire.
    Adam Clark Estes

Topics: Shootings, Crime, MIT
    No idea if this is related to the Boston bombing.

This can't be happening.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

This week needs to end.
    Laurent, stef and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    This week needs to end.
    You don't even know how much I've been thinking that today with everything on this planet that has happened this week.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Has anyone updated? The police scanners have released names, not sure if it's ok to post on here.

Gold Member

Heard the names also but haven't heard it from anywhere "official." I'm following CNN and MSNBC as well as a bunch of diff news sites on Twitter. It's AMAZING how news is getting around now..
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deenz View Post
    Heard the names also but haven't heard it from anywhere "official." I'm following CNN and MSNBC as well as a bunch of diff news sites on Twitter. It's AMAZING how news is getting around now..
    Yeah, idk if it's fair to post it here w/o a very official announcement.

^ Just saw that. One of the two suspects is a missing person mentioned upthread. A student suffering from depression who ran away, don't know about the other guy. Classmates I would think. I had a feeling it would be young men (if it is infact these two).
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Quote Originally Posted by SuriCruise View Post
    ^ Just saw that. One of the two suspects is a missing person mentioned upthread. A student suffering from depression who ran away, don't know about the other guy. Classmates I would think. I had a feeling it would be young men (if it is infact these two).
    So they are saying. It sounds like he fell in with some very bad people. They are supposed to have a news conference at some point. Here is a live news for anyone who doesn't have TV: 7News Live Streaming Video

Feed of Boston PD radio traffic:

Suffolk County Live Audio Feeds

Right now they're checking the entire perimeter they've set; if the suspect's inside it he's gotta make a move sooner or later. Also, a building in Watertown just showed several internal motion detector trips--they're checking it out. So a lot going on.

And this:

"It would take hours before the Bauman family knew what had happened to Jeff. They learned about it the way much of the world did: the grisly image on television of their son being wheeled from the scene, his lower legs destroyed.
    Erika Schneider, Bauman’s sister, saw it first. “She called my mom, freaking out,” Chris said."

So fucking wrong!!!
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

^ Ugh that is horrible can't even imagine finding something like that out that way
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

A*O

The Black Hat suspect has died in hospital. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^ Where did you read that A*O?

A*O

channel 9 news, Melbourne from a US police/FBI press release. If this one isnt true either I give up.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Explosives Detonated in Massachusetts Standoff

The police searched a street with guns drawn in Watertown, Mass.
    By RAVI SOMAIYA
    Published: April 19, 2013

Two young men, armed with guns and explosives in what appeared to be backpacks, engaged in a violent standoff with dozens of police on a street in Watertown, Mass., Thursday night, police and residents said.

The police said there was a strong possibility that the standoff in Watertown was linked to the fatal shooting of a campus police officer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Thursday evening.
    Two residents of Laurel Street said they heard what sounded like firecrackers going off shortly before midnight. When they looked out of their windows, they saw two young men taking cover behind a black Mercedes sport utility vehicle, in a shootout with dozens of police about 70 yards away. A transit police officer was shot, said a police spokesman, Dave Procopio, and was in serious condition.

Mr. Procopio said there was a strong possibility that the incident was linked to the fatal shooting of a campus police officer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology earlier Thursday. The chaos that descended on the residential neighborhood around Laurel and Dexter Streets came as Watertown and the rest of the Greater Boston area were still reeling from Monday’s bombings at the Boston Marathon that killed three and wounded more than 170.

Andrew Kitzenberg, 29, said he looked out of this third floor window to see two young men of slight build in jackets engaged in “constant gunfire” with police officers. A police SUV “drove towards the shooters,” he said, and was shot at until it was severely damaged. It rolled out of control, Mr. Kitzenberg said, and crashed into two cars in his driveway.

The two shooters, he said, had a large, unwieldy bomb. “They lit it, still in the middle of the gunfire, and threw it. But it went 20 yards at most.” It exploded, he said, and one of the two men ran toward the gathered police officers. He was tackled, but it was not clear if he was shot, Mr. Kitzenberg said.

The explosions, said another resident, Loretta Kehayias, 65, “lit up the whole house. I screamed. I’ve never seen anything like this, never, never, never.”

Meanwhile, the other young man, said Mr. Kitzenberg, got back into the SUV, turned it toward officers and “put the pedal to the metal.” The car “went right through the cops, broke right through and continued west.”

The two men left “a few backpacks right by the car, and there is a bomb robot out there now.” Police had told residents to stay away from their windows, he said.

At least two people, one of whom appeared to be a police officer and the other a man in handcuffs were taken from the scene in ambulances, said a Dexter Street resident who declined to give his name.

Mr. Procopio, the police spokesman, told reporters that one suspects was being taken to an area hospital and another is “on the loose.” Explosives were involved, he confirmed, and bomb disposal units were active. When asked about links to Monday’s bombings at the Boston Marathon, he said, “We’re investigating that, and the F.B.I. is investigating that,” but there was no confirmation of a link.

an FBI spokesman in Boston, Martin Feely, said, “We are engaged with our partners trying to determine if there is a connection.”

“The situation is fluid,” Mr. Feely added.

The F.B.I. early Friday released new images of the two young men being sought in the marathon bombings, as part of a campaign to identify them.

The incident in Watertown came just minutes after a third explosion of violence in Boston — a campus police officer was shot and killed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The officer, who was not publicly identified, had responded to a report of a disturbance near Vassar and Main Streets, Middlesex County District Attorney Michael Pelgro said in a statement early Friday. He was found, the statement said, with “multiple gunshot wounds” and taken to Massachusetts General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

At the campus, helicopters whirred overhead, and police cars were dotted through the streets. A crime scene was cordoned off, and at least one canine unit was on the scene.

ETA: I'm following this feed on Guardian too - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...dead-watertown
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Thread Information