Page 10 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Like Tree640Likes

Thread: Explosions at Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    My feeling is that if they must endure it we can bear witness and fully understand the horrible suffering. To hear that man's legs were blown off is one thing,to view the full on horror is to face the reality. He cannot avoid this reality and I don't need it sugar coated. That jolt of reality was far worse than I could have imagined. I hope he lives,he was in deep shock.
    Thank you, McJag. This was exactly what I was trying to put into words last night.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    From Foreign Policy:

But we are never going to return to some sort of peaceful Arcadia where America -- or the rest of the world -- is totally immune from senseless acts of violence like this one. There is no perfect defense and there never will be. And so our larger task is to build a resilient society that comes together when these tragedies occur, understands that the ultimate danger is limited, and that refuses to bend in the face of a sudden, shocking, and cowardly attack.
    I also wonder whether we ever had a peaceful Arcadia in the first place. Even in 1886, we had the Haymarket Square bombing, which killed 7 police and four civilians.

And in April 1919, anarchists mailed and or blew up a bunch of bombs in the US targeting government officials. 8 of them detonated successfully, but at least one of them (targeted at the US Attorney General) blew up prematurely, and the bomber's head ended up in the roof gutter of the house he was trying to enter.

I agree that the power of seeing the photos will make it real and inspire people to act. I do not agree that the photos needs to be published on demand as the event is happening. I am aware that social media encourages this and it is here to say. I just don't know how I feel about invading the privacy of the victims by splashing their pain about without their consent. I do know that I would be upset if I found out my family member had been killed by seeing the photo of their gutted body on twitter.
    Sarzy and Serendipity like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I agree that the power of seeing the photos will make it real and inspire people to act. I do not agree that the photos needs to be published on demand as the event is happening. I am aware that social media encourages this and it is here to say. I just don't know how I feel about invading the privacy of the victims by splashing their pain about without their consent. I do know that I would be upset if I found out my family member had been killed by seeing the photo of their gutted body on twitter.
    This is a good point, too. I can't imagine someone finding out something this devastating about a family member from a picture on Twitter. It's wrong to stop and stare at a car accident, because you're watching somebody at what is maybe their worst hour. I don't really know what the right answer is when the picture exists on the internet and it's there to see. I strangely feel a moral sense to look at it, for what McJag said. But at the same time, there is the question of privacy and respect. When war photography was a new thing, there was a huge gap between taking the picture, developing it, having it sent out and then having it published. Now it's instantaneous. The man who lost his legs might have had his picture on the internet faster than he was able to notify family.

As for the pressure cooker story, I am not at all surprised. I used to be scared of pressure cookers when I was a kid because my mom told me that her neighbor growing up shot one through the roof of her house. Of course, now everyone that buys a pressure cooker will probably be on a watchlist, if we weren't already.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I've always been scared of pressure cookers. i have my grandmother's, but I've only used it once or twice in the last 18 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    As for the pressure cooker story, I am not at all surprised. I used to be scared of pressure cookers when I was a kid because my mom told me that her neighbor growing up shot one through the roof of her house. Of course, now everyone that buys a pressure cooker will probably be on a watchlist, if we weren't already.
    There are always stories about pressure cooking accidents down here. We have a high Cuban population and they all cook with them. My coworkers mother had one explode last year and she just told me that they are still finding beans throughout the house.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

They mentioned on Radio Scotland today that it looked like pipe bombs with ballbearings and other shrapnel-type objects and my stomach dropped, fucking people making these things for maximum damage to humans. The photo of that poor little boy with his peace sign is gut-wrenching, just a normal baba having a nice day out with his family.

It's a testament to the people of Boston to hear how they quickly they seemed to react with donating blood and opening up their homes to stranded people.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Gold Member

Second victim identified.. Tried to post the article but it wasn't working?

Second Boston Marathon victim identified: Krystle Campbell

Here's an article about the little boy who was killed if you're ready for it. Don't wanna post the whole article for the people not ready to deal with it yet.

Martin Richard, 8-year-old boy killed in Boston Marathon bombings, mourned by Dorchester neighbors - Metro - The Boston Globe
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The Boston firefighters have started a fund to help the victims. Right now the site is on overload, but I will donate later. The Firefighters say 100% will go to the victims and there is no doubt in my mind it will. There will be enormous medical costs to some. I feel like I must do something however small and I know a lot of you feel the same.

Boston Firefighter's Credit Union - Home Page

Waterslide and Lalique like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    There are always stories about pressure cooking accidents down here. We have a high Cuban population and they all cook with them. My coworkers mother had one explode last year and she just told me that they are still finding beans throughout the house.
    I can't even imagine finding beans throughout the house for the rest of time. I have a smaller one I cook chicken, etc. in sometimes, but my mom uses the big canning pressure cookers. The littler ones are really nice for making stuff like Cuban food, but they still scare me.
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Here's an article about the little boy who was killed if you're ready for it. Don't wanna post the whole article for the people not ready to deal with it yet.

Martin Richard, 8-year-old boy killed in Boston Marathon bombings, mourned by Dorchester neighbors - Metro - The Boston Globe
    Crying.

That poor little guy. And his poor father having to deal with his son's death and wife's and daughter's injuries.
    Lalique likes this.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

Quote Originally Posted by deenz View Post
    Second victim identified.. Tried to post the article but it wasn't working?

Second Boston Marathon victim identified: Krystle Campbell
    shit, i think i recognise her from the mass casualty pictures posted upthread.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    shit, i think i recognise her from the mass casualty pictures posted upthread.
    That definitely looks like the poor woman in the blue shirt from the previous pictures of the injured. Poor thing.

I found his thoughts comforting and inspiring.

Celebrity's Facebook post about Boston attacks goes viral

By Brandon Griggs, CNN
    updated 11:27 AM EDT, Tue April 16, 2013 | Filed under: Social Media

Actor-comedian Patton Oswalt: "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Comedian Patton Oswalt's Facebook post about the Boston bombings has gone viral
    • Oswalt: "When 9/11 went down, my reaction was, 'Well, I've had it with humanity.' But I was wrong"
    • Oswalt's post has been shared more than 200,000 times
    • The comic and actor voiced Remy the rat in the film "Ratatouille"

(CNN) -- Comedian-actor Patton Oswalt may not seem the most likely person to soothe the wounded national psyche after thedeadly bombs that struck the Boston Marathon. Oswalt has no obvious ties to Boston, and he makes a living telling jokes, not comforting the afflicted.

But Oswalt's eloquent thoughts about the attacks, which he posted Monday afternoon to his Facebook page, have been widely passed around the Internet as an inspiring testament to humankind's inherent goodness in the face of evil. (Warning: he uses strong language.)

"I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, 'Well, I've had it with humanity.' But I was wrong,' " wrote Oswalt, best known as the voice of Remy the rat from "Ratatouille" and for playing Spencer on TV's "The King of Queens."

"This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness," he wrote.
    eact to bombings
    "But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

"So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, 'The good outnumber you, and we always will.' "

As of Tuesday morning, Oswalt's post had received more than 260,000 Likes and had been shared more than 200,000 times.

It has also garnered more than 10,000 comments on Facebook. Among them was this one, from a woman in Annapolis, Maryland:

"Sharing this message. This is exactly what I told my children last night. The good will always outnumber the bad. My husband was there and is safe. But my heart is just broken for those who are not."
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    That definitely looks like the poor woman in the blue shirt from the previous pictures of the injured. Poor thing.

That's what I thought. Horrible

Page 10 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information