Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: 'Cover-up' over Cologne sex assaults blamed on migration sensitivities

German leisure centre becomes the first to ban all migrants after a schoolgirl was sexually assaulted in a public swimming pool by Syrian teenagers

• Three Syrian teenagers arrested in Munich for attack on girls at public pool
    • The three boys, all aged under 15, circled the two girls then groped them
    • Leisure centre in Bornheim has now barred all migrants as a precaution
    • It comes as concerns grow over the New Year mass assaults in Cologne

PUBLISHED: 10:35 GMT, 15 January 2016 | UPDATED: 17:50 GMT, 15 January 2016
    7.4kshares
    1kView comments

A German leisure centre has become the first in the country to ban all migrants after a schoolgirl was sexually assaulted in a public swimming pool by Syrian teenagers.
    Three Syrian boys were arrested earlier this month over the attack at a leisure centre in Munich as the country grapples with growing concerns about sex crimes perpetrated by asylum seekers.
    In response to growing concerns, a leisure centre in Bornheim, North Rhine-Westphalia, has now barred all migrants.
    The ban also follows an attack by an 18-year-old refugee on a 54-year-old woman in Bornheim, where he had grabbed her by the private parts and tried to kiss her.

+7
    A German leisure centre has become the first in the country to ban all migrants after a schoolgirl was sexually assaulted in a public swimming pool by Syrian teenagers in Munich (above)

The victim was only rescued from a further attack by a couple who heard her screams and ran to help. The teenager was arrested a short while later.
    Bornheim social affairs councillor and deputy mayor Markus Schnapka said the move followed an emergency meeting of locals where the swimming pool ban was announced.
    He said: 'At the public meeting, I made it quite clear that it was an extremely difficult decision and it's clear that many innocent refugees are also affected by this.'

He added that so far none of the local incidents had resulted in criminal complaints, but it was clear that action needed to be taken to prevent the situation escalating.
    He said: 'We are mainly talking about verbal attacks.'
    Bornheim currently has 300 refugees living in accommodation who have been told that the ban will be lifted when the message has been received that women need to be respected.
    In the Munich attack, the three boys are alleged to have surrounded the 17-year-old girl in the pool before one of them groped her underneath her swimming costume in an offence deemed rape under local law.

+7

Doner kebab fast food stalls were destroyed, cars set ablaze and shop windows smashed by around 250 hooligans of Legida

+7

Police forces patrol a street in Leipzig after the peaceful protest turned nasty earlier this week

+7

Inside one of the doner kebab grills where some 250 masked hooligans attacked takeaway restaurants

When the girl's sister, 14, tried to make them stop, she too was groped by the trio of teenagers, who were all aged under 15.
    The girls managed to flee and raise the alarm with the lifeguard at the swimming pool, who called police.
    Because the asylum seekers were only 15, they were not remanded in custody and will be prosecuted under juvenile law.
    The main offender's two friends were arrested for assault for taking part in the attack.
    It comes after more than three hundred women reported being sexually assaulted by groups of mostly Arab or North African men in Cologne during New Year celebrations.
    Hundreds of criminal complaints have been filed by police, with about 45 per cent involving allegations of sexual offences, and most of the suspects identified so far are foreign nationals.
    The attack have been seized by right-wing groups as evidence that chancellor Angela Merkel's open door policy is a failure.

+7

Groups of men gather outside the Cologne main train station on New Year's Eve, where hundreds of women claim to have been sexually assaulted

+7

A group of young men let off a firework during the New Year celebrations, which descended into chaos

And more than 200 masked right-wing supporters, carrying placards with racist overtones, went on a rampage in the eastern city of Leipzig earlier this week, breaking windows and vandalising buildings.
    Meanwhile, German police also claim to have solved another sex attack, this time concerning the rape and attempted murder of a 24-year-old woman on Christmas Eve after tracing DNA to a man in a nearby asylum home.
    The alleged attacker, aged 20 and from Morocco, had been previously arrested for theft in Dusseldorf where a sample had been taken that allowed him to be identified as the rapist who was short while later attacked the young woman outside a cemetery in Gelsenkirchen.
    The attacker approached her from behind and beat her unconscious before dragging her into the cemetery to rape her.

+7

Police reports described officers being outnumbered and powerless to stop the anarchy which engulfed the city a fortnight ago, with dozens of women approaching them claiming they had been sexually assaultedLocal mayor Frank Baranowski said: 'Violence against women is always despicable and criminal.
    'It is a great shame that this has been shown to be a case where the alleged attacker is from the ranks of the asylum seekers, who only a short time before were welcomed into our community here in Gelsenkirchen.
    'This is not only a gross disregard for hospitality but also inhumane.
    'This person will not only face the consequences of his actions if convicted, but also he has done severe damage to all those others who have fled their homes and will now be tainted because of what he has done.'
    Police said that the man would also face attempted murder charges because the injuries the woman received were so severe that she almost died.
    Police also confirmed that they have solved another sex attack, this time on a 15-year-old girl involving an unregistered asylum seeker who had been given accommodation in Burghausen.

Read more: German leisure centre becomes first to ban all migrants after attack | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    panic likes this.

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

A*O

You were warned Frau Merkel, you were warned...
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Interesting,it needs a good second reading..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

sorry, i tried to post an article but my connection at work isn't letting me access the board so i have to do it through a proxy, but that disables html so it's a nightmare posting articles. i'll try again if not i'll just post hte link to the article.eta: i tried and this proxy thing disables all formatting. fuckers. here's the link: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35653496if anyone wants to do me a huge favour and copy and paste the whole article, i will love them forever

eta: i don't have to go through the proxy anymore but i'm afraid to paste the article because that's what locked me out last time

Algerian novelist Kamel Daoud sparks Islamophobia row

By Hugh SchofieldBBC News, Paris

• 7 March 2016
    • From the sectionEurope

If you want a reminder of how fractious life can feel in modern-day Europe, then take a look at the furious row in France over the writings of Kamel Daoud.
    Kamel Daoud is the Algerian novelist who came within an ace of winning France's top book award - the Goncourt - last year for his Camus-inspired The Meursault Investigation.

He is also an independent-minded newspaper journalist, who has won as many enemies as friends over the years for his critical articles about the state of his country.
    But Kamel Daoud has now announced to the world that he is giving up his newspaper work, and will focus on fiction.
    Why? Because of the frenzied reaction to a piece he wrote in Le Monde concerning New Year's Eve in Cologne.

The article in question - entitled "Cologne - City of Illusions" - was a two-pronged attack on the cliches triggered by the mass molestations of women.
    On the one hand Daoud deplored the far-right "illusion" which treats all immigrants as potential rapists.
    But by far the greater part of his anger was directed at the "naive" political left, who in his view deliberately ignore the cultural gulf separating the Arab-Muslim world from Europe.

Thus, according to Daoud, Europe welcomes immigrants with visas and material sustenance - but without addressing what really counts, which is the world of values.
    What Cologne showed, says Daoud, is how sex is "the greatest misery in the world of Allah".
    "So is the refugee 'savage'? No. But he is different. And giving him papers and a place in a hostel is not enough. It is not just the physical body that needs asylum. It is also the soul that needs to be persuaded to change.

"This Other (the immigrant) comes from a vast, appalling, painful universe - an Arab-Muslim world full of sexual misery, with its sick relationship towards woman, the human body, desire. Merely taking him in is not a cure."
    Feeding fantasies

These were strong words, and the reaction came fast.
    In an opinion piece also in Le Monde, a collective of intellectuals and academics delivered an excoriating attack on Daoud, whom they accused of "feeding the Islamophobic fantasies of a growing part of the European population."

Daoud, the authors said, had based his argument on a discredited "culturist" analysis. In other words, he made Arab-Muslim culture the determining agent in the behaviour of individuals - turning them into little more than "zombies".
    Worse, his call for immigrants to be taught western values was a form of "re-education".
    "The whole project is scandalous, and not only because of the same old claptrap about the West's mission to civilise and its superior values.
    "More than just the usual colonial paternalism… (Daoud) is effectively saying that the deviant culture of this mass of Muslims is a danger for Europe."
    But worse was to come for Daoud: the row then spread to the US.
    The Sexual Misery of the Arab World - Kamel Daoud published in the New York Times
    Last year Adam Shatz, a leading liberal journalist and editor, wrote a long and favourable profile of Daoud for the New York Times.
    But now - regretfully but firmly - he turned against him.

"It is very hard for me to imagine that you truly believe what you have written. This is not the Kamel Daoud that I know," Shatz wrote in an open letter.
    What worried Shatz - like the intellectuals (though he hated their "Soviet"-style public denunciation) - was the link Daoud drew between the events in Cologne and Islam.
    "A few years ago we saw similar events at the Puerto Rico Day parade in New York. There too women were molested. But the molesters were not under the influence of Islam, but of alcohol," he wrote.

Shatz disputed the idea that sexuality in the Arab-Muslim world is universally a "misery".
    And he was appalled by the implication that immigrant attitudes to sex and women were a "sickness" to be "cured". The same language, he said, was once applied to Jews.

Kamel Daoud:

Born in Algeria on 17 June 1970.
    Edits the French-language daily Le quotidien d'Oran, for which he writes a column, "Raina Raikoum" (My Opinion, Your Opinion).
    His debut novel, The Meursault Investigation won the Prix Goncourt du Premier Roman (Goncourt Prize for a first novel).
    It is a retelling of Albert Camus's 1942 classic, The Stranger, from the perspective of the brother of the Arab killed by Meursault, Camus's antihero.
    Argument rages

Across social media, the arguments have been raging.
    For some, Daoud is a hero for speaking unpleasant truths about the culture of North Africa and the Middle East - doubly a hero for saying it not from exile but from his home in Oran.
    But for his enemies, Daoud is a self-hating Arab who prefers French culture to Algerian, and whose attacks on religion are part-motivated by his own erstwhile flirtation with Islamism. (In the 1980s he was a young militant.)
    Worse, they say his arguments play into the hands of the anti-immigrants in Europe who can now use them to nurse their own "illusions".
    Daoud says he has had enough.
    In an open letter to Shatz (a friend whose criticisms he respects), he denounces the academics and intellectuals who earlier denounced him.
    "They do not live in my flesh or in my land, and I find it illegitimate - not to say scandalous - that certain people accuse me of Islamophobia from the safety and comfort of their western cafes."
    And that is his last word.
    Last edited by sputnik; March 7th, 2016 at 02:06 PM.
    effie2 likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information