Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: 'Cover-up' over Cologne sex assaults blamed on migration sensitivities

I think that's already happening, though. The Washington Post has a story about how many incidents there have been across Europe and how many of them involve asylum seekers. It seems like there was a very poor, to non-existent, plan to integrate them into a very different society. You can expect that as the Republicans get hold of this story that we probably won't increase our refugee resettlement one iota.

I love this article. pretty much sums up everything i've been thinking about this and trying to articulate.

Wolfgang Rattay/Reuters
    Maajid Nawaz

• NEW YEAR’S RAPES

01.08.1612:01 AM ET
    Why We Can’t Stay Silent on Germany’s Mass Sex Assaults

It took several days for the news of hundreds of sexual assaults in Cologne to make headlines. As progressives dither over what to say, the far right has already seized the opportunity.
    It reminded us all of the beginning of the end of the Arab Spring. In 2011, the celebratory crowds in Egypt’s Tahrir Square began giving way to organized street gangs who targeted and raped women out in the open. Perhaps this was a bad omen for things to come in the region.
    Germany’s welcoming euphoria at receiving 1.1 million asylum seekers in 2015may have just turned a similarly dark corner. More than 120 criminal complaints have been filed by women in Cologne who say they were subjected to public sexual assault or robbery, including at least two alleged street rapes, all in one night. The 400 men accused of being behind this mass attack formed coordinated rings around the women. They have been universally described as being of North African and Arab appearance. Police are examining Internet forums and chat groups on the working assumption that it is unlikely 400 men just met by accident.
    Though this all occurred on New Year’s Eve, the absolute scandal is that we only found out about it five days later. Amid accusations that it deliberately covered the incident up in order not to spark panic, the public broadcaster ZDF was forced to issue an apology for failing to include the assaults in its main evening news broadcast. It appears that, as the authorities and the media were choosing between stirring up racial tension and these women’s rights, we were faced with a conspiracy of silence.

Eventually, this was bound to happen. Recent mass migration patterns across Europe have meant that misogyny has finally come head to head with anti-racism, multiculturalism is facing off against feminism, and progressive values are wrestling with cultural tolerance.
    Yes, it is racist to suspect that all brown men who look like me are rapists. It is bigoted to presume that all Muslim men who share my faith advocate religiously justified rape. It is xenophobic to assume that all male refugees are sexual predators awaiting their chance to rape. But let me be absolutely clear: What will feed this racism, bigotry, and xenophobia even more is deliberately failing to report the facts as they stand. Doing so only encourages the populist right’s rallying cry against “the establishment.”
    If liberals do not address such issues swiftly, with complete candor and courage, the far-right and anti-Muslim populist groups will get there first. They have been doing so for a while now.

The far-right street protest group Hogesa, or Hooligans Against Salafism, continues to cause consternation on the streets of Cologne, while the populist-right Pegida has already responded to the New Year’s Eve attacks byannouncing a protest in Cologne on Jan. 9.
    No, my fellow liberals, these issues cannot be brushed under the carpet or simply willed away. They are not going anywhere, anytime soon. So how can we address this sensibly, without bursting a blood vessel in our Right eye, or missing the blind spot in our Left?
    Let’s start by looking at the evidence. Official figures in Germany suggest that, currently, refugees are no more likely to commit sexual crimes than other sections of the population. “Refugees commit just as few or as many crimes as groups of the local population,” says Germany’s interior minister, Thomas de Maiziere. That’s good news. Bank it.

Street sexual violence is also—obviously—not exclusive to Arab and Muslim-majority countries. Indeed, among the worst offenders is Papua New Guinea, where two-thirds of women are subjected to some kind of physical or sexual violence, and rapists from “raskol” gangs are happy to pose for photos after their latest rape.
    Having said that, what is infuriating and totally counterproductive is to deny that a specifically cultural problem around immigration patterns and European sexual norms has been steadily rising across the continent. To pretend this is not the case only further stigmatizes us brown Muslim men. That the problem requires attention is clear.
    German police unions and women’s right groups have recently accused authorities of underplaying cases of rape at refugee shelters. “There is a lot of glossing over going on. But this doesn’t represent reality,” police union chief Rainer Wendt told Reuters. Henry Ove Berg, who was a police chief during Norway’s recent spike in rape cases, said, “people from some parts of the world have never seen a girl in a miniskirt, only in a burqa… when they get to Norway, something happens in their heads.” He added that “there was a link but not a very clear link” between the rape cases in Norway and immigrants. Hanne Kristin Rohde, former head of the violent crime section of the Oslo Police Department, was criticized in 2011 when she went public with data suggesting that immigrants committed a hugely disproportionate number of rapes. “This was a big problem… but it was difficult to talk about,” sheremarked. There was “a clear statistical connection between sexual violence and male migrants.”
    Any solution to this emerging issue must simultaneously seek to deny the far right the ammunition it desires while preserving Europe’s hard-earned progressive social values.

This is all controversial, but it must be said. Anecdotal attitudes point to the same conclusion. Abdu Osman Kelifa, an Eritrean asylum seeker to Norway, recently told The New York Times that in his home country, “if someone wants a lady, he can just take her and he will not be punished.” He confessed that it was still hard for him to accept that a woman could accuse her husband of rape.
    Between denying the problem and using it to fuel bigoted far-right rhetoric, an approach grounded in data and a level head is vital. Any solution to this emerging issue must simultaneously seek to deny the far right the ammunition it desires while preserving—not reneging on—Europe’s hard-earned progressive social values.
    With that in mind, Cologne Mayor Henriette Reker’s comments after the mass attacks in her city were terribly unhelpful. When asked by a journalist how women could guard against such attacks, Reker shocked many around the world by suggesting that women should remain at “arm’s length” from strangers in the street and that she would soon be issuing a “code of conduct” for women “so that such things do not happen to them.”

Others have made the same error. Martin Thalhammer, the headmaster at Wilhelm-Diess-Gymnasium, a school in Pocking, Bavaria, sent a letter home to parents advising them that “Syrian citizens are mainly Muslims and speak Arabic. The refugees are marked by their own culture. Because our school is directly next to where they are staying, modest clothing should be adhered to, in order to avoid discrepancies. Revealing tops or blouses, short shorts or miniskirts could lead to misunderstandings.” With men accounting for about 70 percent of asylum seekers, some groups across Germany have demanded gender-segregated accommodation and safe zones for women.
    No. European progressive and feminist groups have toiled over centuries to educate us all that rape victims are not responsible for the actions of the rapist. Victim-blaming and demanding that women change their behavior are the worst ways to respond to rape culture. They only sexualize the victim more.
    The fetishization of the female body has not led to a decrease in cases of sexual violence in societies where women cover their entire bodies. If Taliban- and ISIS-held areas are anything to go by, violence against women only increases the more women are asked to conceal and segregate themselves. This would make sense, because accompanying such attitudes is the notion that women are sexual objects to be owned and controlled, and not human beings to be respected and loved. What is infuriating is that for centuries progressives have made these very arguments against white Christian fundamentalists in the West, yet—displaying an incredible cognitive dissonance—those progressives easily abandon that position when confronted with the problem in a minority community.
    The case of Cologne tells us that we can no longer afford this Regressive-Leftdouble standard. The only person to blame for rape is the rapist. Employment and education among migrant males will be a more conducive and far more consistent approach than asking European women to change how they dress or when they go out.
    Norway has led the way here, offering voluntary nationwide classes that expand upon Norwegian social and sexual norms to newly arrived migrant men. The German border town of Passau in Bavaria, has already started a similar program for male refugees, while Danish politicians aim to approve the same measure after a string of attacks in Denmark. Among other measures, it is my view that such classes should be mandatory for new arrivals across the continent. These classes should form part of a citizenship, integration, and employment course, before residency permits are provided. In any case, they would help refugees come to grips with the strange new world they have just fled to, and can only make their job prospects better.
    Former Israeli prime minster Golda Meir may have done and said many things people disagree with, but one of her stances is difficult to argue with. When there was an outbreak of nighttime assaults against women in Israel, a minister in the cabinet suggested a curfew to keep women in after dark. “But it’s the men who are attacking the women,” she retorted. “If there’s to be a curfew, let the men stay at home, not the women.”
    The alternative would be to lay the seeds of the very same cultural attitudes in Europe that many migrants have been fleeing from in counties like Syria and Afghanistan. That would be sheer madness.
    effie2 and Lalasnake like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The article annoys me with it's overriding purpose to make sure the left doesn't do more damage to itself or beats the right to any punch.

WTF. Who cares. Women are getting raped.
    Kittylady likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

It's nice to see women once again suffering in the middle of men's fights.
    Flygirl likes this.

What I will ask is why did it happen this year? Why not New Year's Eve 2014-2015? If it was not connected to new arrivals in Germany at all then why did it happen now?
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

A*O

There's a specific reason why these specific men have this specific attitude towards women. It's their specific religion that specifically teaches its followers to treat women as second class, inferior chattels and sex objects. Islam urgently needs a Reformation to drag it kicking and screaming from the 7th to the 21st century but the powerful senior (male) clerics much prefer the status quo of course. There are plenty of modern, moderate Muslims out there, male and female, but their voices are ignored or in some cases actively silenced by their fellow Muslims.

The problem with Islam is that we're not allowed to say there's a problem with Islam.
    LaFolie, Sarzy, Kittylady and 2 others like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I was reading a 50-page report from Pew Research on Islam in the US. There are a pretty diverse number of attitudes among them. They tend to be a lot more assimilated economically and socially in the US, though. Mainly in areas that have very quickly absorbed a large number of immigrants and formed a more insular community do you find the more extreme views.

A*O

Exactly, in many large European cities, and a couple in Oz too, there are Muslim "ghettos" where both nationals and recent arrivals live and work and make no effort to assimilate into the wider community. Here's a pic of the Sydney suburb of Lakemba on a Friday evening.

And in Sweden

Would you see scenes like this in the U.S.? Genuine question, not trying to make a point.
    Dame Edna Everage

No, you wouldn't as far as I know. But most of the legal immigrants the U.S. has allowed in recent decades, other than a small proportion of persecuted asylum seekers, have been skilled workers if not white-collar professionals.
    And you know how it goes....the more educated people are, the less religious and/or radical.

Part of being able to have this control, I'm sure, is just the geographic distance and ocean between the U.S. and Muslim-majority countries.

One possible exception I can think of is the large Muslim population in and around Dearborn, Michigan, where many Somalis have returned to Africa to fight for the al-Quada affiliate there.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

More than 500 (!) criminal complaints so far , up to 40% of them are about sexual assaults. Since witnesses reported that there were smaller criminal groups within this mass of foreigners, voices are getting louder that these attacks were organized and planned as other cities faced similar 'events' at the same day.

These idiots really did a great job for the reputation of real refugees.

(edit: 516 criminal complaints in Cologne, 133 in Hamburg)
    Last edited by Deutsche; January 10th, 2016 at 01:14 PM.
    effie2, yanna and Lalasnake like this.
    sharp as Angie's square jaw

A*O

There have been many instances of girls, some very young, being gang raped in northern UK cities. Taxi rapes are also a problem. Apart from being male, all the rapists identified and prosecuted have another thing in common. Young, vulnerable girls under the care of CPS have also been groomed and gang raped by up to 25 men. At least it's being reported and the men prosecuted although they are usually carefully described as "Asian" rather than their religious affiliation. In fact they are mostly British born and bred.

The most common boy's name registered in the UK last year = Mohammed.

And before the Offenderati accuse me of being a redneck KKK racist, I don't have a problem with anyone's race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, culture or religion provided that religion doesn't have a problem with my colour, gender, sexual orientation, culture or religion. Islam does.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    It's nice to see women once again suffering in the middle of men's fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    The article annoys me with it's overriding purpose to make sure the left doesn't do more damage to itself or beats the right to any punch.

WTF. Who cares. Women are getting raped.
    i think you're misunderstanding the article. feminists - the women who are supposed to care about women and defend their rights when they are victims of sexual assaults - are a part of the left that the article is calling out. progresives - who are supposed to care about equality - are a part of the left that the article is calling out. he calls them out because they're the ones who are supposed to be on the side of women but seem more concerned with trying to make the story disappear and downplaying the origins of the perpetrators. there's no point in calling out the xenophobic right wing because we know they're douches who don't give a fuck about women.
    the current dominant wave in feminism is so obsessed with intersectionality it's lost the forest for the trees, and that they made it clear that all the other issues that intersect with feminism and women's rights - be it race, class, economic privilege, etc - actually matter more than women themselves. it's obvious in the way their reaction to mass assault differs depending on the race/ethnicity of the perpetrators.
    A*O, Slushie, Lalasnake and 2 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

Oh Gawd, I'm agreeing with sput again. Maybe we should get a room.

I heard this today when a woman journo was told to more or less "stop picking on Muslims, it's disrespectful" and she said "it's not Muslims, it's their religion and I will respect Islam when Islam starts to respect me". LIKE
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's easy for the mayor to hand out this useful advice when she's driven everywhere with a security detail. Try getting out of your limo and walking to work, shops, concert etc like your female citizens bitch and see what happens.
    her "advice" was especially stupid since she herself has been the victim of an attempted assassination by a man a couple months ago.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think you're misunderstanding the article. feminists - the women who are supposed to care about women and defend their rights when they are victims of sexual assaults - are a part of the left that the article is calling out. progresives - who are supposed to care about equality - are a part of the left that the article is calling out. he calls them out because they're the ones who are supposed to be on the side of women but seem more concerned with trying to make the story disappear and downplaying the origins of the perpetrators. there's no point in calling out the xenophobic right wing because we know they're douches who don't give a fuck about women.
    the current dominant wave in feminism is so obsessed with intersectionality it's lost the forest for the trees, and that they made it clear that all the other issues that intersect with feminism and women's rights - be it race, class, economic privilege, etc - actually matter more than women themselves. it's obvious in the way their reaction to mass assault differs depending on the race/ethnicity of the perpetrators.
    That reminds me, too, that Jay Leno's wife (Mavis), of all people, is a leading feminist who apparently was pretty far ahead on the issue of treatment of women in Afghanistan when the Taliban first took over. I remember reading articles that quoted her back in 2000. And apparently, she was heavily involved even earlier than that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information