Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: Cops Shoot and Kill Unarmed Black Men in Baton Rouge and St. Paul

Thanks, guys. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I was nervous. I've gotten tickets before, but for the first time I was actually scared, especially when he asked me what was wrong and why did I have an attitude. Being silent is considered having an attitude. I read the NAACP Guidelines on how to deal with the police and one of the recommendations was to not say anything because the police can use what you say against you.
    BITTER, HWBL, lulu09 and 3 others like this.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that ShimmeringGlow. This bullshit has to stop.

Bahamas warn their citizens to be careful if visiting U.S. due to shootings by police .

'Young males are asked to exercise extreme caution' the advisor reads in part

The Bahamas' Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Immigration is urging its citizens visiting the United States to take caution because of "recent tensions in some American cities over shootings of young black males by police officers."The island country has issued a travel warning. The Bahamas celebrate their independance over this weekend and many citizens travel abroad, especially to the states, the advisory noted.
    "We wish to advise all Bahamians traveling to the US but especially to the affected cities to exercise appropriate caution generally," said the advisory.
    "In particular young males are asked to exercise extreme caution in affected cities in their interactions with the police. Do not be confrontational and cooperate," reads the advisory.
    It concludes: "If there is any issue please allow consular offices for The Bahamas to deal with the issues. Do not get involved in political or other demonstrations under any circumstances and avoid crowds."
    "Pay attention to the public notices and news announcements in the city that you are visiting.
    Be safe, enjoy the holiday weekend and be sensible."
    The U.S. Department of State has declined comment on the warning.
    Bahamas warn their citizens to be careful if visiting U.S. due to shootings by police | PhillyVoice

I have read about using caution about going abroad to other places, but coming into the U.S., this is sad.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    I've got CNN on now and true, it IS terribly tragic that 5 police officers got killed near the end of the protest march, but one of the presenters was saying something like "This is horrible, this should never have happened. These officers were sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, Americans. We need to never let this happen again." And I'm like "Then what the hell were all these black citizens, some of them were shot IN FRONT OF their loved ones?" Asshats, sorry, but the innuendo was indeed that the police officers lives were more worthy than the victims that were randomly shot because of broken tail lights, for God's sake.

And now this Harry Houck asshat, calling it nonsens that the white cops who shot the black folks (whom he refers to as perpetrators) were racist. Ugh, I can't even put into words how disgusted I am by the statements of this maggot.

Harry Houck is a flat out racist and dangerous and I give Van Jones props for being able to maintain his calm demeanor.
    HWBL likes this.

Shimmering Glow, I am so sorry you experienced this. My heart goes out to you. A couple of days ago, a Black friend of mine posted something which has eaten away at me ever since. The gist of it was that there was significant outrage on social media about the death of a lion and a gorilla but silence about the murders of Black Americans. And that the silence is louder. I am obviously paraphrasing but it really made me think. And it broke my heart. Because although I, and a handful of my friends have posted some articles about the murders, the majority of people I know on Facebook have not. My friend was absolutely correct about the silence. When I started dissecting my newsfeed and tried to look at the posts from her eyes I could have heard a pin drop. I tried re-posting her remarks (with her permission) to open a dialogue about this issue and I was stunned by both the lack of concern of most of the people I know, and the ignorance of the few who commented. I wish I knew what to do to help make a change. I feel angry and helpless. I cannot even begin to imagine how you must feel.
    garysgirl1999 likes this.

Bronze Member

As it turns out, the cop killer was obviously mentally unstable and in desperate need of services. This means those killings are the fault of asshole RW nutjobs who keep making such care harder and harder to access. Fuck them for trying to blame this on protestors.

I am so weary. My brother and nephews are cops (also very religious and conservative) and we don't even speak anymore because of this issue. Their arrogance and tunnel-vision is just disgusting to me. I'm embarrassed and ashamed to be related to it. Black people quickly voiced their horror over what had happened to these cops. In fact, it was the same black people who had just had a loved one murdered by cops! How often do cops or right-wingers voice their horror when cops kill blacks?

I am truly wondering if part of police training is to suck the empathy out of people bc I've seen many cases of cops mistreating the poor, too. None have been punished either.

When I was a kid, I was taught to run towards cops in an emergency. It's a lesson I have not taught my kids. We don't trust the cops for anything. It makes the world feel threatening.
    HWBL, greysfang, BITTER and 3 others like this.

I have many cops in my family, some who have fixed a ticket or two for me in the past 20 years or so. My friends are cops. So I know what goes into the job and what they think, and I can't imagine them doing something out of line.

However, dealing with the same shitty things, day in and day out, can alter your perspective. I once owned rental property and all the residents were on some kind of government assistance. I swear it almost turned me Republican. Having to deal with the bullshit and excuses, day in and day out, was exhausting. It hardens you to people with real plight vs. making no changes and wallowing in squalor. So to deal with it every day could be maddening.

My 16 year old son had an incident a few months ago. This genius kid decided when he left work, he was going to speed up the street at a high rate of speed, and pull his parking brake so he could "drift," in a small town, in front of an unmarked cop. The cop was actually very cool, called us to come out and pick him up, only gave him one moving violation instead of taking his license away on the spot. However, if this was a black kid of the same age who's address was on the wrong side of town, I can't say the same break would have been given to him that was given to my son.
    BITTER likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    I drove into town today and a woman blew past me in a minivan going at least 90 mph. I shook my head and said to myself that if that were me, there would have been 10 cop cars after me. On my way back, I'm following behind 2 cars going faster than me. I pass a cop who then whips around and turns on his lights. I pull over. He walks up to the car and asks why do I think he was pulling me over. I told him that I had no idea. He told me that I was doing 40 mph in a 30 mph zone. He asked for my license and registration. I shook my head as I reached for them. He said to me, "What's wrong? You seem to have an attitude." I didn't answer. I handed him everything and looked straight ahead. He walked away and I pulled out my phone because I was nervous. There weren't any cars around and I was on a side street. I hit record. He walked back and looked into my car and saw the phone. He told me that it was okay that I was recording him and asked again what was wrong. I didn't say anything. I signed the citation and then drove off. A few years ago, I would have been apologetic and all smiles in an effort to get out of a ticket. Now, I felt lucky that he didn't want to teach me a lesson. The wrong word could have caused me harm. Sure, it was a simple situation, but as I told my friend, they are killing us in the street, in the car and in our homes. I'm sorry about the officers that were killed, but at the same time, I can't help but have a silent attitude when I encounter an officer. I know to keep my mouth shut though...any little thing....

The Twitter hash tag, #IfIDieInPoliceCustody was heartbreaking last year. It still is.

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=...npolicecustody
    i am sorry this happened to you, it sounds awful.

but i was stopped once for going 50 in a 45 mph zone. i handed over my license and said nothing. and they cop also told me that i had an attitude. i am white.

another time i was on the freeway in a less-populated area in SoCal, was not speeding but was pulled over. i parked on the shoulder. the cop came out of his car holding a gun at me and yelled for me to put up my hands. he held pointed his gun at me through the passenger window and told me to hand over my license. i was scared i was going to die. some more insulting talk later, he ran my license and then came back to my car and told me my registration was out of date. i asked him if i could open my glove compartment, i had the updated registration sticker there but forgot to put it on my tag. he was calmer after that but yeah, it was clear he wanted to stop me, give me a hard time, and he did.

i think some cops suck. some do not. so i've had scary experiences, but i know that if i were not white, i would probably have more. and maybe with worse outcomes.

In Memphis right now:

LIVE COVERAGE: 'Black Lives Matter' protesters block I-40 bridge - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Protestors March To Bridge Demnading Justice - Story

Just hoping my friends who live and work downtown and midtown, and my coworkers out making home health visits stay safe.

And friends in Police/Fire/EMT, hospital workers on shift tonight. Heck, anyone I know participating in protest. (I saw people with their babies out there)

I don't want to sound like a negative nancy, but.... This city is definitely a place things could get crazy. There's guns everyfrikinwhere. The police force was cut in half over the course of the last few years. Just got a new mayor 6 months or so ago in the city, but there hasn't been enough time yet for that to get straightened out. Shit goes down just about every damn weekend in this town.

I'm right across the border, and just the ignorant ass racist BS I read on facebook makes me worried some micro-dicked jackasses are gonna drive north in their pickups and start spraying bullets. The stupid news feeds this bullshit by throwing up a headlined story about a car that was blocked from getting across the bridge (from ark) to take a sick kid to St. Jude Hospital. Of course, when you actually watch the video, the crowd appears to be letting the car through without incident. But even I admit that was my first thought with the bridge blocked off by protesters. Lawd I just hope this stays peaceful.
    Last edited by MsDark; July 10th, 2016 at 09:25 PM.
    Brah likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I'm feeling weary and despondent from all of it.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I'm really impressed. It's been peaceful! Cops leading folks off the bridge but not being forceful, just present.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Gold Member

I'm from the Memphis area. It was peaceful. But they shouldn't be blocking traffic. Espically over a fuckin bridge.

I don't care what anyone says ether. They need to get the fuck out of traffic. People could be in labor or dying and need to get by. Fuck them. If some of these motherfuckers had something to do in the mourning, they wouldn't be protesting on a fucking interstate. How about go to the police department or local government building?

Sorry, there is nothing about can say that will make that shit correct.

Fuck off, bitch. I'll take the infraction.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Gold Member

Nice. Telling the truth hurts, doesn't it? I could frankly give two shits. You do not go into traffic and do this.

I support their right to protest. What I do no support is them doing stuff like this. People have to get to work. Some have to get to the hospital. Get out of the way. There are people that will literally run you over. If there are people that are willing to kill others because they cut them off in traffic, imagine what they will do if the have enough anger in them when they are being blocked from coming home from work? Traffic itself is bad enough. But then people are intentionally blocking it, things can and will eventually get out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    I'm from the Memphis area. It was peaceful. But they shouldn't be blocking traffic. Espically over a fuckin bridge.

I don't care what anyone says ether. They need to get the fuck out of traffic. People could be in labor or dying and need to get by. Fuck them. If some of these motherfuckers had something to do in the mourning, they wouldn't be protesting on a fucking interstate. How about go to the police department or local government building?

Sorry, there is nothing about can say that will make that shit correct.

Nice racist statement, bitch.
    garysgirl1999 likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information