Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cops Pepper Spray Stick-Wielding Eight-Year-Old

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Yeah, and pepper spray is medically categorized as chemical poisonining and could lead to vision problems up to permanent blindness, and breathing problems up to and including respiratory arrest.
    A sharpened stick has been medically categorized as potentially causing permanent harm or death in the hands of a mentally disturbed individual - no matter how old they are. Not sure what I would have done either but it's clear something had do be done and quickly. I probably would have called the cops, and the cops did what they know to do in that situation which is keep everyone else from becoming a statistic.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

When Aidan's in a good mood, the eight-year-old is personable, friendly, a charmer. But when he's not, he's capable of terrifying any adult, including professionals trained in dealing with unruly children. That's the conclusion of Lakewood Police spokesman Steve Davis, who praises officers for defusing a dangerous situation by pepper-spraying Aidan in the face.

The story comes to us courtesy of 9News, which obtained a police report on a February 22 incident at Glennon Heights Elementary, presumably from Aidan's mom, who appears with her son in a segment on view below. Davis emphasizes that the document isn't publicly available due to the subject's age.

Although Davis can't talk about the report's specifics, including the 9News assertion that police had been called to deal with Aidan on two previous occasions, he offers additional details about what took place, and the risks involved.

"You had people in danger," he emphasizes. "You had teachers who had barricaded themselves into an office because they were so frightened of this child. The child was making threats that he was going to kill them and he was ramming the door of the office they were in with a push cart, trying to get to them. And as we were responding, the information we got clearly indicated that there were people who were very fearful of him, and they wanted us to get there in a hurry to take care of the situation."

By the way, the cart to which Davis refers previously held a television, which Aidan allegedly tossed to the ground. He is also said to have been throwing chairs before the teachers took refuge in the office and called police.

When officers arrived at the school, Davis continues, "the child was armed with a piece of wood described as being twelve to fifteen inches in length and sharpened to a point, and he was using it as a weapon. The officers told him they were there because of what was going on and to drop the piece of wood -- I've heard it described as either a piece of trim or a piece of paneling -- and he didn't. He held it up to the officers and was threatening them with it."

In response, Davis goes on, "one of the officers pulled out the pepper spray and tried to squirt it, and the child blocked it with a cardboard box. So the officer reached around the box and squirted once -- and the child dropped the long piece of wood and the cardboard box and the situation was defused."

Was this the only alternative? No, Davis concedes -- but in his view, it was the best one.

"Of all the tools the officers had at their disposal -- a Taser, a nightstick -- I believe they not only made a great choice, but the absolutely perfect choice in ending the situation," he says. "People ask, 'Couldn't you have just grabbed the kid?' But he's about eighty pounds, and very capable of doing some damage. And we're not only concerned about the safety of other people in that school, but also the eight-year-old's safety -- and I think the chances of injury would have gone up tremendously if we had gone hands-on with him. But other than the burning sensation of the pepper spray, which was washed off and quickly neutralized, there were no injuries to anyone."

Aidan's mother feels differently. She sees the pepper-spraying as excessive, maintaining that police in the two previous instances were able to talk him down.

At this point, Aidan is no longer attending Glennon Heights. Instead, he's enrolled at a school specializing in children with behavior issues -- and he's also seeing a doctor to help him deal with what he calls "anger things" in the 9News report. He is not on medication.

Meanwhile, Davis sees the outcome of the February 22 face-off as positive. "Given the totality of the circumstances, and given that he was indicating to teachers that he had every intention of killing them, we're just happy that no one was hurt," he says. "That's the good news."

Eight-year-old pepper sprayed by cops: Officers made "great" choice, says police spokesman - Denver News - The Latest Word
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

that's one fucked up snowflake.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Holy fuck, what a crazy kid. The mother needs some sense knocked into her, and realize her precious darling needs help.

The mom was one of those "Oh, he never acts that way at home" types....yeah, I'd guess it's because he runs the house and always gets his way at home.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    *spits drink and guffaws* that made me LOL for realreal.

Also, fuck pepper spray. Just taze the little shit.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I didn't know there was a CORRECT procedure for disarming an 8 year old with a deadly weapon.

Yes, I agree the pepper spray was over the top, but I don't know how I would have handled this, either. Having three kids in martial arts, I've seen what an 8 year old can to something if they're really physically invested. Add a pointed stick and a desire to harm and thats a recipe for some scary shit.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    yep
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

I say spray the little fucker!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    *spits drink and guffaws* that made me LOL for realreal.

Also, fuck pepper spray. Just taze the little shit.
    you can't taze him, he's liable to fall over on his fucking sharp stick and then the cops are REALLY in trouble.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    That kid has serious issues. It is easy to be an armchair quarterback, but if this had been allowed to continue, who is to say he wouldn't have injured himself or another?
    This is what I think-the police were there. They had dealt with him before. They had to make a choice right then, I am not going to criticize them. That is no average kid. To be that defiant faced with cops? This kid is trouble and no amount of talking is going to help. He needs to be kept away from other kids.

Bingo. I've seen a lot of young children do some pretty intensive damage to adults before in some similar situations. They make it sound like he was just holding a little stick. I can picture a pretty damn sharp/large piece of molding broken off and see that as a pretty dangerous object. It's a different story if he wasn't armed. Even then if the police had put their hands on him with or without a weapon, everyone would still be screaming bloody murder. In places where I've worked before, you leave them alone/isolate and try to let them de-escalate on their own. At the point where they become a real danger to themselves or others, it's a game-changer and you do what's safest for everyone involved.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    The kid definitely needs more help than the school system is providing. But grown ass men, cops, have to pepper spray an 8yo to subdue him? Come on now. I guess they were scared of getting a splinter or something.
    That kid is a lightweight. The 8 year old who gave me a herniated disc and lifelong chronic back pain tore METAL off the walls. It was a very old building and the electric wires were housed in these iron-like tubes that were bolted into the solid concrete (not blocks) walls. He also literally tore down the door.

Let me see, I've been hit, kicked, hit with hand-held objects, hit with flying objects, bitten, spit on & peed on. I've seen 6 year olds wear out every male staff in the building as they took turns restraining them. These emotionally disturbed kids who fly into rages are not like normal kids having tantrums. They can demolish an entire room & then kick your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    My mother is a special ed teacher and has worked with the emotionally disturbed. Her school has all staff certified in how to properly restrain out of control students. More often than not, the child caused bodily harm to the adult during the process and not vice versa.
    I don't know about this. I wouldn't even believe any statistics because the injuries to kids are underreported. I've known kids in psych hospitals who ended up with broken arms & legs. Just because everyone is trained doesn't mean they do it right, by a long shot. It's way different doing restraints in training than in real life, and when a kid comes flying at you with murder in his eyes, reflexes & instincts tend to kick in. Lots of kids end up with bruises. The adults do too, but I'm just saying that the kids get hurt a lot more than people want to admit. There's no perfect answer to this. Any method you use to restrain a kid in this situation has risks.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I thought my son talking too much in class was bad.

Fucked up kid has a fucked up mom along with severe emotional issues.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I don't have time right now to find the video from The Today Show but hope someone will. I work with kids and this boy gave me the chills. They way he speaks about his behavior is frightening. He has been well advised of his condition and seems like his Mom would rather the world learn to deal with him instead of getting him serious help. She claims his anger issues only happen at transition time, like when he has to stop playing and do classwork, and that it never happens at any other time...
    ETA - link to video:
    Justified? Police use pepper spray to subdue 8-year-old - TODAY People - TODAY.com
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I can't believe the little monster has a dog, he shouldn't have access to any living creature.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information