Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree496Likes

Thread: Cop kills unarmed kid in my town

^ When she's been oppressed by both institutionalized and individualized racism for 400 years we can talk about your niece. Otherwise, she's not really relevant to this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^
    this.
    no offence, jadestar, but you can't compare your personal experience as a (i'm assuming) white woman in the US to that of the historically oppressed black minority. and again, no one is excusing the riots, just saying that after 400 years of systematic racism, it's kind of understandable that this sort of incident brings all that tension to the surface and results in violence. of course, people shouldn't be doing it. of course we would all like for people to protest in a legal and non-violent manner but again, you're not getting the bigger picture here. this goes way beyond this incident. this goes way beyond the people involved in the incident. this is about race relations in america and incidents like this one only serve to bring those racial issues to the fore, sometimes in a very ugly way. the point is, while this is wrong (i'll say it again, no one is saying it isn't wrong) it's not surprising and it's quite frankly the natural result of centuries of racism.

maybe this will help put things into perspective and you can see for yourself, in black and white (no pun intended), the institutionalized racism of the ferguson police department, which is no better or no worse than that of pretty much any police department in the US.

so how do you explain that blacks are so disproportionately targeted by police for searches and stops? also, notice how, when whites are searched, the contraband hit rate is almost 35%, whereas for blacks it's only 22%, and yet despite that, they still search blacks more than whites? does that make sense to you?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I still think the people who loot are mostly opportunistic assholes who don't really overlap with the protesters much.
    I could be wrong, I haven't followed this on TV. Just from previous comments that the looters aren't even from the community, and are coming in from neighboring towns.
    Flygirl likes this.

Systemic racism is racism, and white Americans need to recognize this. It's not all about using the N word and calling people like my husband's family"wetbacks". It's about privilege and history and the institutions that have all set this into place. Holy crap, how do people not see this?!

Team sput, wcg, et al.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

thought this guy the other night explained how this country works perfectly.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/3463623
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    I just don't think people should be doing it, period. People who were not even involved in the original incident are now hurting others, destroying property and breaking the law, using the original event as their reasoning.

If this is the case, then anyone could do what ever they wanted to others/property for any and all injustices in the world. I have a niece that is mentally and physically bullied at school, daily. Should I burn down the school, beat people up or rob Wal-Mart over it in my protest of her unjust treatment?

I guess I feel they could address the issues in a legal and non-violent matter, not hurting innocent people.
    There's a breaking point and every so often it is broken. When you can kill someone who is unarmed and then treat him and the people trying to help like animals. You cannot leave someone in the middle of the street for hours upon hours-thank God for smart phones and social media!!! Police met peaceful protestors in full on riot gear, rubber bullets, and tear gas... That brought the push back!! That brought out the rioters (then came the asshole opportunist)!! You don't know the mind of someone who lives there who knows what happens daily with the police and their community.. But I know in my mind and my heart that I feel when are we going to truly be equal.

Bullying by kids at school is a horrible thing but please do not compare it to a black unarmed teen being shot six times and killed by the police!!!

If we could address issues in a legal matter police wouldn't shoot or put in a headlock black men and then build their cases later!!

ETA: just maybe they'll go away if an arrest is made!!
    "A riot is the language of the unheard" Martin Luther King
    Last edited by *DIVA!; August 18th, 2014 at 04:08 PM.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I understand the point your making and I agree. I just picked an instance that involves my family, but it could be any issue where people are persecuted, harassed, tortured, violated personally or physically,ect. In my personal opinion, I just feel that none of these things should try to be solved through more violence. It just causes more pain and suffering and defeats the original point. And the cycle continues with more people hurt and no healing to the original and new event.
    Flygirl and sparkles like this.

They arrested and cuffed 90 year old Hedy Epstein in today's protests. I feel safer already.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Wow!!!
    Yea Hedy was a serious threat!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    They arrested and cuffed 90 year old Hedy Epstein in today's protests. I feel safer already.
    Any relation to Juan Epstein?

Sorry bad taste, I'll back out now.
    witchcurlgirl likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

She's his mother. The one who signed all the notes.

Seriously though, they arrested a Getty photog too, probably didn't want him taking photos of whatever it was he was snapping.
    SHELLEE, hustle4alivin and sputnik like this.

Sooo...does this warrant National Guard or something? Police are fucking out of their minds and losing control of the situation.

*Ok I googled to answer my own question. And Obama's response is so disappointingly timid.

President Obama appeared wary today about the National Guard being sent to Ferguson, Missouri, saying he urged the governor to ensure the troops were involved in a "limited" way.

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon ordered the state's National Guard to be deployed to the city this morning after another violent night of clashes between protesters and police over the shooting death of Michael Brown on Aug. 9. Protesters have demanded that officer Darren Wilson be held accountable for shooting Brown.

The prosecutor's office in St. Louis County, which has jurisdiction in the case, said today a grand jury could begin hearing evidence against Wilson as soon as Wednesday to determine if he will be charged in the shooting.

Obama addressed the volatile situation in Ferguson for a second time in recent days and said he called Nixon about his decision to send in the Missouri National Guard.

"I spoke to Jay Nixon about this and expressed interest that if it was used, it would be in a limited and appropriate way," Obama said this afternoon. "He described the support role they’d be performing and I’ll be watching to see that it’s helping, not hindering, progress."

Obama also said Attorney General Eric Holder would travel to Ferguson Wednesday to meet with FBI and Department of Justice officials working the case. Holder said today there are more than 40 FBI investigators in Ferguson.

The state National Guard will arrive in Ferguson today to help protect the city's police command center during the protests, while the Missouri Highway Patrol continues to patrol the city.
    rest of article: http://abcnews.go.com/US/obama-appea...ry?id=25017936

Trayvon Martin’s Mom on Michael Brown and Ferguson - TIME

Trayvon Martin’s Mom: ‘If They Refuse to Hear Us, We Will Make Them Feel Us’

To The Brown Family,

I wish I had a word of automatic comfort but I don’t. I wish I could say that it will be alright on a certain or specific day but I can’t. I wish that all of the pain that I have endured could possibly ease some of yours but it won’t. What I can do for you is what has been done for me: pray for you then share my continuing journey as you begin yours.

I hate that you and your family must join this exclusive yet growing group of parents and relatives who have lost loved ones to senseless gun violence. Of particular concern is that so many of these gun violence cases involve children far too young. But Michael is much more than a police/gun violence case; Michael is your son. A son that barely had a chance to live. Our children are our future so whenever any of our children – black, white, brown, yellow, or red – are taken from us unnecessarily, it causes a never-ending pain that is like unlike anything I could have imagined experiencing.

Further complicating the pain and loss in this tragedy is the fact that the killer of your son is alive, known, and currently free. In fact, he is on paid administrative leave. Your own feelings will bounce between sorrow and anger. Even when you don’t want to think about it because it is so much to bear, you will be forced to by merely turning on your television or answering your cell phone. You may find yourselves pulled in many different directions by strangers who may be well-wishers or detractors. Your circle will necessarily close tighter because the trust you once, if ever, you had in “the system” and their agents are forever changed. Your lives are forever changed.I hate that you and your family must join this exclusive yet growing group of parents and relatives who have lost loved ones to senseless gun violence. Of particular concern is that so many of these gun violence cases involve children far too young. But Michael is much more than a police/gun violence case; Michael is your son. A son that barely had a chance to live. Our children are our future so whenever any of our children – black, white, brown, yellow, or red – are taken from us unnecessarily, it causes a never-ending pain that is like unlike anything I could have imagined experiencing.

However with those changes come new challenges and opportunities. You will experience a swell of support from all corners of the world. Many will express their sympathies and encourage you to keep fighting for Michael. You will also, unfortunately, hear character assassinations about Michael which I am certain you already have. This will incense and insult you. All of this will happen before and continue long after you have had the chance to lay your son to rest.

I know this because I lived and continue to live this. I have devoted my life to the comprehensive missions of The Trayvon Martin Foundation – including providing support to families that have lost a young child to senseless gun violence regardless of race, ethnicity or gender. I will support you and your efforts to seek justice for your Michael and the countless other Michaels & Trayvons of our country. The 20 Sandy Hook children. Jordan Davis. Oscar Grant. Kendrick Johnson. Sean Bell. Hadya Pendleton. The Aurora shooting victims. The list is too numerous to adequately mention them all. According to The Children’s Defense Fund, gun violence is the second leading cause of death for children ages 1-19. That is a horrible fact.

Facts, myths, and flat out lies are already out there in Michael’s case. Theories, regardless of how ridiculous, are being pondered by the pundits. My advice is to surround yourselves with proven and trusted support. Through it all, I never let go of my faith, my family, or my friends. Long after the overwhelming media attention is gone, you will need those three entities to find your ‘new normal.’ Honor your son and his life, not the circumstances of his alleged transgressions. I have always said that Trayvon was not perfect. But no one will ever convince me that my son deserved to be stalked and murdered. No one can convince you that Michael deserved to be executed.

But know this: neither of their lives shall be in vain. The galvanizations of our communities must be continued beyond the tragedies. While we fight injustice, we will also hold ourselves to an appropriate level of intelligent advocacy. If they refuse to hear us, we will make them feel us. Some will mistake that last statement as being negatively provocative. But feeling us means feeling our pain; imagining our plight as parents of slain children. We will no longer be ignored. We will bond, continue our fights for justice, and make them remember our children in an appropriate light. I would hate to think that our lawmakers and leaders would need to lose a child before protecting the rest of them and making the necessary changes

NOW…

With Heartfelt Support,

Sybrina D. Fulton

Sybrina Fulton is the mother of Trayvon Martin and the founder of the Trayvon Martin Foundation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

I know it's from a comedy program, but I think this video is on point. What's going on is terrifying, and I don't mean as only an isolated incident, but as a reflection of the issues within American society as a whole. Interracial oppression, oppression within one race, social status, police culture, and a plethora of other issues are so intertwined and there are so many problems with each in their own right. I'm asking seriously for the posters who have more experience with these matters, what does one do? How can the situation improve if we can't even have a rational conversation about these things? Is it even possible to have a conversation when the viewpoints are so different? It almost seems like the problems are so overwhelming that it's paralyzing and no one can figure out where to start.

I grew up with incredible privilege, white European background. My family was never rich upper class; my parents struggled to pay for things, but it was for things many people couldn't ever dream of, like private school and an expensive sport. We weren't struggling to live. I see things like this and I'm lost. I feel an incredible amount of outrage and despair and a desire to do something, but I also have this enormous sense of inadequacy in the face of such significant issues.

^^^^
    seriously. the level of denial and tone-deafness of the people like the mayor, the police chief and MO governor (and our former member rockchick...), who really do think this came out of nowhere and that their community was "fine" and that this totally came out of nowhere, is fucking mind boggling.
    Seth82, chartreuse and sparkles like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread Information