Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Like Tree496Likes

Thread: Cop kills unarmed kid in my town

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    It's just disheartening to read this because (among other things) it shows that the police department's (or whoever it was) tactic of putting that information out there worked. It doesn't have to be proven, nor does it have to be directly connected to the situation at hand--once it's out, they can count on some people to connect the dots and come up with a reason it was OK to shoot an unarmed person for little or no reason.

Plus, why would it only be a tragedy if Brown was one of those "good" black people who has to be better than your average white teenager in order to be considered even half as good or worthwhile? Are all young black men either model citizens or thugs who have got it coming? Grrr.
    At least they didn't try to claim Wilson knew about the robbery, but probably that's just 'cause recorded comms wouldn't support the story. I love what you said (the part I bolded)...I feel like subtler but equally meaningful points like this get lost in hot-headed discussions about racism. There are many ways to dehumanize other people and deny them their individuality. Hell, I have nerd friends who are black. Thick glasses, sci-fi con attendance, interest in UFOs, math whizzishness, and many other awesomely nerdish traits. Yet if you believed the media you'd be surprised my friends are even real. You'd think all black folks are either wisecracking badasses, vicious thugs, or blind musicians. How insulting is that? Can people care about that? Or is it only sensationalized shootings that make a dent in the indifference?

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    notice how they (finally) released the name of the cop, the same day they came out with the convenience store robbery.
    makes you wonder why they held off on releasing the name of the officer for so long. they probably used that time to look for something "bad" on that kid, because the less sympathetic the victim, the easier it is to get away with murder.
    There are a lot of really crazy people out there. Look at that fucking insane police department! Plenty of cop-hating civilians are just as bad. In our town, we had a fatal shooting--a smalltime drug dealer got gunned down by a PD detective. He really was a dealer, and had multiple convictions; in our county, court records are public. (He was, I think, black and Latino, if that matters to the discussion here.)

Being a dealer was NOT grounds for opening fire, but reaching for his waistband, in the middle of the night, on a dimly lit street, in a shitty neighborhood, upon being told to put his hands up, was. He had a fake gun, the kind parolees often carry hoping to fool/intimidate other thugs without risking a parole violation. He was magnificently high according to the coroner's info. Who knows.

Anyway. Someone outed the name of the officer who shot the dealer, through Facebook snooping, and he had to take his family out of state because of the threats made against his minor children--some of them, to their faces. I am absolutely sure that none of us wants some kid to be terrorized or killed, even if his or her father is a jackbooted thug. (I know radicals, though, who would disagree.)

That case wasn't like this one. The officer was eventually cleared in multiple investigations up to the state level. Suddenly, the victim's angry family and their lawyers vanished; guess their activism wasn't so important when the potential paycheck fell through.

(I know that sounds mean, but you would've had to see and hear these people closeup. By contrast, there was another very different police shooting here a couple of years earlier. It's probable that the officer made a legit mistake, but it was a tragedy because the victim died. And he wasn't a felon, he had no record anywhere, and he wasn't engaged in criminal activity when he was shot--it just looked like it, and in a town with major crime problems, the police and public both thought a crime was really going down. I heard the 911 calls. His poor mother, there was nothing calculated about her grief, and yes, to the best of my knowledge she has not been treated well. I doubt racism has anything to do with that; but there is a whole different problem, an epic one, where police departments will not voluntarily admit to fucking up. It's not just a litigation issue. There's a lot of siege mentality out there.)

I hope the media doesn't drop the coverage of the Ferguson police department's incredible history of corruption. That place needs major sunshine. And will anything really change? Imo it needs to be dissolved completely. Start over! What a cesspool.

^^^^
    exactly. the fact that he robbed a convenience store doesn't change what the police did at all, especially since the cop who shot him didn't even know about the robbery. using that as a an excuse for gunning him down for no good reason is the same as when people argue that prostitutes can't be raped just because they're prostitutes.
    Exactly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    i don't think the same kid robbed the store. like how the fuck would they come up with that shit conveniently like that? oh btw the guy who got shot, we have some proof he was BAAAAAAAD.... you cant even see his face. how many guys have that body type? same as the police record. total character assasination.
    I dunno how many stories actually reported this, but Brown was six foot four and almost 300 pounds. Surely that's not super common. IF that cop was a little guy, if he had shot Brown as he was literally getting his ass beaten to death (like Fatass Zimmerman but for real) it would have come out and things might be different.

But this actually sounds like the officer shot someone in the back, maybe even while they were running away, basically because what? He was pissed?! It boggles my mind. This isn't 1947. I can't with this shit!! (Do we know any autopsy results yet? Where were Brown's wounds?)

Another problem I have with this whole business is that these cases have all become so laden, with..with every kind of nasty baggage humans can summon up, and money and notoriety and media sleaze to boot. Everyone has an agenda. Will anybody tell the truth? We know there was a tussle, and a kid got killed under very questionable circumstances. Everything else feels like a big ugly cynical game.

And the media, instead of pushing steadily for transparency from authorities, encouraging healing discourse, helping to create a solid, focused movement for change, or doing really anything positive at all, instead does every yellow thing it can to incite killing violence. Because sensationalizing an American tragedy, rah-rahing MOAR VIOLENCE yeah, that helps. Right. It sells papers and advertising slots, though. There is no smiley bitter enough...
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

activistworldnewsnow - live streaming video powered by Livestream

Tear gas being used and police forcing people out of the street even though it is not midnight yet...

an incredible photo here.

Cassandra Roberts gassed, helped by strangers in Ferguson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Vice is covering it live too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q0wA4OmCd4
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Six bullets ripped through the body of an unarmed teenager that may or may not have stolen a pack of cigarillos.

There is absolutely nothing right or justified about that at all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/us...imes.html?_r=0
    @NickoMoralesXXX

They are now saying the gun shot wounds were all in the front of the body? So he was facing the cop when he was shot? Still too many unanswered questions.

I just don't get the rioting and looting no matter what originally happened. Why hurt and kill others and destroy their homes and businesses? It makes people just as bad or worse than the original offense. Sickening how cruel and angry people can become.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    They are now saying the gun shot wounds were all in the front of the body? So he was facing the cop when he was shot? Still too many unanswered questions.

I just don't get the rioting and looting no matter what originally happened. Why hurt and kill others and destroy their homes and businesses? It makes people just as bad or worse than the original offense. Sickening how cruel and angry people can become.
    ugh that report is positively sickening
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

maybe because black people are sick of being systematically discriminated against and treated like they're less than human?

saw this this morning, pretty much sums it up:

Jesse Williams on Ferguson: 'We Are Not Treated Like Human Beings'

Hillary Crosley

Your Grey's Anatomy boyfriend Jesse Williams added "hot political activist who chastises CNN while appearing on CNN" to his resume this weekend.
    The actor has been breaking up TV marriages and wooing the ladies for quite sometime but he’s also been vocal about America's racial disparities, and this time he tackled Ferguson and Mike Brown's death.
    While tensions rose in Ferguson, Missouri between police and protestors surrounding the fatal shooting of Brown, Williams really parsed the problem with CNN’s coverage of the civil disobedience and police brutality by looping a clip of a convenience store robbery that Ferguson police admitted had nothing to do with the death of the Missouri teen. Here are Williams' gems:

"We also have to talk about the narrative and making sure that we're starting at the beginning. You'll find that the people doing the oppressing always want to start the narrative at a convenient part, or always want to start the story in the middle. This started with a kid getting shot and killed and left in the street for four hours. I've never seen a white body left in the street for four hours in the sweltering heat. The cop doesn't call in the shooting, the body isn't put in an ambulance, it's shuttled away in some shady unmarked SUV.
    There's a lot of bizarre behavior going on and that is the story, that's where we need journalism. That's where we need that element of society to kick into gear and not just keep playing a loop of what the kid may have done in a convenience store. That's unfortunate, if that happened, that's going to be factored in, like it or not. But we need journalism to kick in and start telling the story from the beginning, this is about finding justice for a kid that was shot, an 18-year-old that was shot, period.
    This idea that because he stole a handful of cheap cigars, what's that $5? I've lived in white suburbs of this country for a long time, I know plenty of white kids who steal stuff from a convenience store. [There's] this idea that every time a black person does something, they automatically become a thug worthy of death when we don't own drug crimes. We're not the only ones who sell and do drugs all the time. We're not the only ones that steal and talk crazy to cops.
    There's a complete double standard and a complete different experience that a certain element of this country has the privilege of being treated like human beings, and the rest of us are not treated like human beings, period. That needs to be discussed, that's the story. That's what gets frustrating for people — because you don't know five black folks, five black men in particular, that have not been harassed and felt threatened by police officers. You can't throw a rock and find five of them. We're not making this up."
    The actor's comments came as Missouri Governor Jay Nixon decided to deploy the National Guard in the wee hours of Monday morning and President Obama cut his Martha's Vineyard vacation short to deal with Iraq and Americans like Chris Hayes having guns shoved in their face by Missouri police.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

maybe because black people are sick of being systematically discriminated against and treated like they're less than human?
    Sorry but that's an absolute excuse and cop out. Looting and rioting do not, in any, draw the conversation in the direction in which it needs to go. It only serves to reinforce stereotypes. It has not a thing to do with social justice or advocating change.
    laynes, SHELLEE, Sarzy and 6 others like this.

I just don't think because you have had adversities, pain, suffering or hard times in your life that any of that excuses violent, cruel and illegal activities against others.

Police gas residents of Ferguson for over an hour.
    @NickoMoralesXXX

I just don't think because you have had adversities, pain, suffering or hard times in your life that any of that excuses violent, cruel and illegal activities against others.
    who said it excused anything? there's a difference between understanding the reasons behind why something happened, and excusing.

i have a question for you: do you think that the reason rioting is often the result of a racially motivated incident like the michael brown shooting or the rodney king beating, is because lots of black people are inherently violent, or because there is a lot of racism and social tensions lurking just beneath the surface in american society, and these incidents serve to spark that rage and tension to sometimes disastrous and violent results?
    the point is, these riots are criminal acts. however, they are happening for a reason and that reason is what needs to be addressed here, rather than focusing on the riots and ignoring the big racist elephant in the room.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I just don't think people should be doing it, period. People who were not even involved in the original incident are now hurting others, destroying property and breaking the law, using the original event as their reasoning.

If this is the case, then anyone could do what ever they wanted to others/property for any and all injustices in the world. I have a niece that is mentally and physically bullied at school, daily. Should I burn down the school, beat people up or rob Wal-Mart over it in my protest of her unjust treatment?

I guess I feel they could address the issues in a legal and non-violent matter, not hurting innocent people.

I have a niece that is mentally and physically bullied at school, daily. Should I burn down the school, beat people up or rob Wal-Mart over it in my protest of her unjust treatment?
    if the cops shot her in her face, you might.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

No. I wouldn't.
    sluce and laynes like this.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information