Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 296
Like Tree496Likes

Thread: Cop kills unarmed kid in my town

  1. #151
    Elite Member Trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    exiled and ostrich sized
    Posts
    16,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    EXACTLY.

    I'm not saying people get a free pass to be jerks and homophobes and racists when they're going through a hard time. I just think we should give a friend the benefit of the doubt when s/he's struggling.

    Rockchick felt attacked - not all of that is due to what people actually said on this thread, it's how she took it because well, there was literal attacking going on around her. She wasn't in the better position to stay calm and rational about our posts. We were in that position and could have done a little better with her. GR is known for its snark and candor, so those of us who've been around for years generally have thick skins but even so, almost every one of us long-timers have had at least one snit, meltdown, tantrum, moment-of-OTT-assholery, whatever you want to call it and ALSO many of us long-timers have done a ftb and come back. I'm pretty sure I've done it a couple of times myself and never got banned. I just find it extremely disheartening when a GR family member gets banned unless it's crystal clear that they're a POS, like Pippin.
    Anyone remember Sasha? She posted a "goodbye board" thread--I wouldn't exactly call it a FTB but she also asked to be banned. Just checked and she's still active. I realize it wasn't exactly the same situation, but she was obviously going through some weird things and most everyone just wished her well and let it go. Personally, I thought it was kinda silly and attention whorey, I mean if you want to leave, just leave, plenty of people have. Anyway, she hasn't been back but is still free to do so if she changes her mind.

    Sorry to keep this going but I find it disheartening and upsetting too. Crap, I've been posting here for over 7 years now and it's usually part of my daily routine. It sucks to think if I had a mini-meltdown, on one bad day that *poof* I'd be gone. I thought that's what infractions and temp bans were for...cooling off.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~



  2. #152
    Elite Member Charmed Hour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ agree with a lot of this. and while i'm disgusted by what is going on in ferguson, i'm not surprised that she thought there were no race problems there previously. she's not going to know about any problems unless she is personally affected or has friends that are affected. and i say this as a person who grew up in a small town that had race riots/looting (this was back in the 70s, though).
    I have to say I agree with this. I grew up in a pretty racially diverse location in an area of the Bronx that was and still is majority white. My husband grew up less than 1/4 mile away in the same neighborhood, but far more white than where I was. My 10 block radius had little racial tension, from my perspective, growing up.

    My husband's area not so much. He is 1/2 Puerto Rican 1/2 Irish and looks very, very white. (Those of you on FB probably don't put him to his picture based on his name) Growing up he and his two younger brothers were absolutely tormented by not only the kids but the adults in his immediate area because he's mixed.

    Now, the entire neighborhood is becoming far more diverse and quickly. I see FB comments about the area "changing" and "going down" basically daily. Complaints about the local bar having "Latin Night". I was pretty shocked as these are people I grew up with and never had an inkling of how they really felt.

  3. #153
    Elite Member sprynkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    At the salon
    Posts
    17,535

    Default

    So we would like Rockchick to be unbanned. Please?

    Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

  4. #154
    czb
    czb is online now
    Elite Member czb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    12,214

    Default

    ^^^ interesting.

    would you come back if you were her?

    @charmed - about the race riots, YES, that is exactly what i am talking about. i even forgot about the riots in my hometown until a few days ago. and looking back, i remember how scary it was and how clueless i was (yes, i was in grade school, but STILL ....)

  5. #155
    Elite Member sprynkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    At the salon
    Posts
    17,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ interesting.

    would you come back if you were her?

    @ch
    armed - about the race riots, YES, that is exactly what i am talking about. i even forgot about the riots in my hometown until a fetgvvh w days ago. and looking back, i remember how scary it was and how clueless i was (yes, i was in grade school, but STILL ....)
    Yes I would come back. She said she loves this place and would miss most of us. It's like we are some sort of family here. I would hate to get banned.
    Butterfly likes this.

    Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

  6. #156
    Elite Member Lobelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    a backwards hillbilly state
    Posts
    20,801

    Default

    Even if she doesn't come back, I just want her to know that at least some of the people she's been with for close to 10 years wish she wouldn't leave. It would be kind of a mind fuck to feel like everyone could just suddenly slam a door on you, for forever, especially at a time like this.

    I think it's human nature to want to put people in good or bad categories during high intensity conflicts. Makes it easier to pick a side, defend your position, make sense of it all so the world isn't so random and scary. I think a lot of people out there are eager to put Michael Brown in a 'bad' category for that reason. However, nothing concerning human beings is completely predictable or sensible or one dimensional. Good people can do terrible things and terrible people can do good things. I wish the real facts about what happened would come out because the ambiguity is making people jump to conclusions all over the place, both sides looking for incriminating evidence.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

    Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

  7. #157
    Elite Member Trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    exiled and ostrich sized
    Posts
    16,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    So we would like Rockchick to be unbanned. Please?
    Not sure it's that simple...I think lifting a permanent ban has to come from admin, and we know how often they show up.

    Don't know if rockchick would want to come back or not, but I think it would be nice if she could make that decision herself. I also hope she comes in as a guest to read this.
    sprynkles and MontanaMama like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~



  8. #158
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    50,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Even if she doesn't come back, I just want her to know that at least some of the people she's been with for close to 10 years wish she wouldn't leave. It would be kind of a mind fuck to feel like everyone could just suddenly slam a door on you, for forever, especially at a time like this.
    you know, i wish she would have just tried opening her mind a little bit to see the bigger picture. i don't necessarily think she's racist in that she's consciously racist, she's racist in the way that we all are to various degrees, out of ignorance of our own privilege, and obliviousness to what's going on around her beyond the people in her immediate circles. i think that would have been a much better way to deal with what was going on around her, rather than trying to find comfort in the fact that - in her view - michael brown was a "bad" kid.

    as for the ban, unless we change the "ftb=immediate permaban" rule (and i do think that's a discussion worth having), them's the breaks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I think it's human nature to want to put people in good or bad categories during high intensity conflicts. Makes it easier to pick a side, defend your position, make sense of it all so the world isn't so random and scary. I think a lot of people out there are eager to put Michael Brown in a 'bad' category for that reason. However, nothing concerning human beings is completely predictable or sensible or one dimensional. Good people can do terrible things and terrible people can do good things. I wish the real facts about what happened would come out because the ambiguity is making people jump to conclusions all over the place, both sides looking for incriminating evidence.
    i agree that it's human nature. the problem is that even if the facts do come out and show michael brown attacked the cop, that's still one unarmed black man too many that has been killed in cold blood by a policeman. if it were an isolated incident, it would be one thing. but police killing unarmed black men is a recurring theme and one that is indicative of the racism that is still at the heart of society. and all the randomness and scariness of the world, all the well-meaning need to put some order into it by assigning people to 'good' and 'bad' categories, doesn't change the fact that this is a disturbing pattern, and frankly there have been enough high profile cases like this that people can't hide behind that fear and use it as an excuse anymore, even when it's happening in their back yard.
    Seth82, chartreuse and *DIVA! like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  9. #159
    Elite Member Lobelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    a backwards hillbilly state
    Posts
    20,801

    Default

    I hear you on the 'opening her mind' thing, but she just wasn't in the best place for that, literally or figuratively.

    I wouldn't presume to think I know what she meant by saying Ferguson was "fine" before this, either. It's an extremely ambiguous and subjective word and IIRC she didn't explain too much what she meant. Countless people do have blinders on, like you said, but again highly stressed hypervigilant people aren't known for finesse in communication or for introspection for that matter. I'm not saying you shouldn't have argued your point. Anybody who posts on the internet is courting an argument at any given time whether or not they intend it. She started the thread and commented several times. When you carry on conversations with more or less anonymous internet people on subjects that are big emotional deals to you then these things seem to happen. All I'm saying is that the banning was way too quick and harsh. And yes, I think the ftb=permaban rule sucks balls.

    I haven't seen the news today. Do we actually know that MB was shot in cold blood? I recall some accounts talking about a struggle. I figure he probably was shot in cold blood because the cop was infuriated that MB didn't get on the sidewalk, but this is the kind of thing I meant when I said I wish the actual facts would come out. I don't know what's real here, what's agenda, what's character assassination, what's ignorance or lies or WHAT. To me, assuming the cop is an evil racist bastard before I know the facts is just as bad as assuming MB had it coming because he supposedly struggled with the cop or stole cigarellos or posted pics of himself with a gun.
    dexter7, Sarzy, laynes and 5 others like this.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

    Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

  10. #160
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,145

    Default

    Well, I liked rockchick and I wish she would have maybe put herself in a self-imposed "timeout". Just turned off the computer for a while. I do think she's so close to a very horrible situation and was scared.

    I'm also going to chime in on what Charmed said. I grew up in a pretty racially diverse area, just outside of Baltimore and DC. When I went home a few years ago and hung out with some of my old friends I was shocked to hear the things they were saying. So many of them were total racists and bigots. I even had some of them telling me to be careful of my situation with my SO because he's Middle Eastern. Seriously. I couldn't believe these were the same people I was friends with many years ago.
    sputnik and Shinola like this.

  11. #161
    mjw
    mjw is offline
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,377

    Default On day of national protest, evidence suggest Ferguson cop beaten badly before shootin

    Michael Brown allegedly beat Ferguson, Missouri, police officer Darren Wilson so badly that the he suffered an orbital fracture and was nearly unconscious before firing his weapon, a source told Fox News Wednesday. The unarmed teenager was killed by gunfire Aug. 9.

    “The Assistant [Police] Chief took him to the hospital, his face all swollen on one side,” the news outlet’s inside source said of Officer Wilson’s condition immediately following the altercation. “He was beaten very severely.”




    The source, which Fox said is “close to the department’s top brass,” said that when confronted by the police officer and told to stop walking in the middle of the road, Michael Brown and his friend Dorian Johnson ignored the order.

    “They ignored him and the officer started to get out of the car to tell them to move,” the source told Fox News. “They shoved him right back in, that’s when Michael Brown leans in and starts beating Officer Wilson in the head and the face,” the individual added.

    Fox’s source also added that “solid proof” existed that a struggle for Ofc. Wilson’s gun took place.

    On Wednesday, U.S. Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. arrived in Ferguson and met with Ron Johnson, a Missouri State Highway Patrol captain who was tasked by Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon to coordinate law enforcement efforts. Mr. Holder said that there would be a “fair and thorough” federal inquiry into the incident in a letter addressed to the citizens of Ferguson.

    “We hope that the independence and thoroughness of our investigation will bring some measure of calm to the tensions in Ferguson,” he said. “In order to begin the healing process, however, we must first see an end to the acts of violence in the streets.”


    Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz3AzabpE77
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

  12. #162
    Elite Member Beeyotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,516

    Default

    Really, Washington Times, taking a Fox news source? I hope they confirmed and triple-checked that source before running with it.

  13. #163
    Elite Member Just Kill Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes
    Posts
    15,550

    Default

    I feel weird about this coming out now, I know medical professionals are not supposed to share information but shit Britney goes into a place and it gets leaked. I would think any nurse or staff that saw this officer or possibly treated his injuries or knew of them would have come out and leaked something when all the insanity was going down.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

    Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

    Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

  14. #164
    czb
    czb is online now
    Elite Member czb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    12,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Yes I would come back. She said she loves this place and would miss most of us. It's like we are some sort of family here. I would hate to get banned.
    i would hate to get banned, too. but not sure i would return if i did get banned.

  15. #165
    Elite Member louiswinthorpe111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    11,447

    Default

    For those that commented earlier about fox, do you realize that Fox Broadcasting Network is completely different from Fox News? Fox has local affiliates and air the Simpsons, football and they also have their own local news with reporters and everything. So the source came from the local fox affiliate and not the fox news channel on cable.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2014, 04:16 AM
  2. SEAL Book: Osama Was Killed Unarmed, Biden Is Like a ‘Drunken Uncle’
    By witchcurlgirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: August 29th, 2012, 06:31 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 26th, 2011, 11:57 PM
  4. Replies: 260
    Last Post: June 12th, 2010, 05:43 AM
  5. Justice Department: Blackwater guards used grenades on unarmed Iraqis
    By celeb_2006 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •