Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree496Likes

Thread: Cop kills unarmed kid in my town

I heard on the radio at lunch there was another shooting by police. Not something needed at the moment to escalate things.
    Last edited by JadeStar70; August 19th, 2014 at 03:46 PM.

A black man is killed by the police about every 36 hours in the US......
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

from last year but still relevant in illustrating the difference in police treatment

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    I heard on the radio at lunch there was another shooting by police. Not something needed at the moment to escalate things.
    This one sounds more understandable though.
    Ferguson Shooting: Knife-Wielding Man Shot Dead by Missouri Police

wow really mayor?

get a fucking clue!

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

I can't tell you how many of my mc/umc teenage white girl peers stole makeup from our local drug store. Never would a cop killing them have been justified, neverrrrr. But, privilege, because many of the parents of those girls, and many of those (now) women themselves are of the opinion that this kid was a thug who deserved it.

The amount of "if you don't break the law, you won't have any problems" I am seeing from people is disturbing. There's such a disconnect in "don't dare trample my liberty!" and "if you make any questionable move in the presence of a police officer, they are within their rights to gun you down" that so many conservatives seem to believe.
    hustle4alivin and Shinola like this.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    I agree she was probably scared BUT fear is no excuse for some messed up stuff she said. she basically implied that the fact that mike brown was caught on surveillance video robbing a convenience store, meant that his life was worth less than that of an 'innocent' kid and that all the outrage wasn't justified based on that alone... Sorry but that's racist. It's insidious, ignorant racism that doesn't know it's racist, or that thinks that racism don't exist anymore just because it's off the law books. She's a nice woman but totally in denial about some pretty nasty views that she's harbouring, and kind of reflective of the wider problem of people who think racism doesn't exist anymore, kinda like the mayor of Ferguson, just because they're SO blind to their own privilege.
    When you say she implied those things, there is some interpretation going on. I can see where someone could infer that she meant he had it coming but again, that would be one interpretation and arguably not the only one. The comments were made by an extremely stressed person trying to make some sense out of this disheartening situation. When your neighborhood is imploding and burning, it's tempting to think well, maybe the victim *did* contribute to the cop's actions so maybe the world *doesn't* just flip the fuck out randomly for no reason, and maybe the cops in my town *aren't* oppressive racist murderers. The latter is a very distinct possibility here but it's a hard pill to swallow for a lot of people, even those whose neighborhoods aren't being torn apart. No psychology degree necessary here, just some basic human compassion which is the issue at the heart of this thread anyway.

She is a long-time member and I don't recall her being a troublemaker or racist so I think it's pretty knee-jerk and incredibly shitty to ban her under these circumstances. I get that this is a socially liberal board, which totally works for me & my own personal views but sometimes the judging around here reminds me of a southern baptist sewing circle and god help anybody who doesn't word something just right even while under enormous stress. She posted the article about Mike Brown & the convenience store and said something to the effect of him not being such an innocent. She did NOT say he deserved to die and if you accuse her of that, then I encourage you to examine your own filter.

There is definite pressure to conform on this board, and those of you who say there isn't are just as fucking clueless as the Ferguson mayor. This is the kind of bullshit pattern that makes me question why I've continued to be a part of this forum for so long. This thread is about something far more important than this board, so I'll just leave it at that.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I agree she was a nice person but this hit too close to home for her and I honestly don't believe that if this had happened in another town she would be saying things like "a bad kid is a bad kid" and "not such an innocent now". That's what people were responding to, I don't think we were unsympathetic to her very understandable fear. But that doesn't mean because we know (of) someone directly affected, we should put aside our opinions and agree that the police are justified killing anyone they think is mildly threatening, so long as the streets feel safe and everyone can get to work on time.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    She is a long-time member and I don't recall her being a troublemaker or racist so I think it's pretty knee-jerk and incredibly shitty to ban her under these circumstances.
    I'm always sorry to see a long time member hit by the Ban Bus but to be fair she did FTB twice and specifically ask to be banned. She didn't get it for having an opposing view, she got it for not being able to keep her cool when presenting/defending her POV and following it up by throwing her teddy out.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    excuse the fuck outta me our local news is fox channel 2. GOODBYE. Yeah this kid was a real choir boy. The fucking hate in my town and now here is making me sad. Won't be back to this site that I loved. bye all I had fun here but not gonna be attacked. I'll miss most of you. Thanks for all the laughs.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    i mean, you seem to think that if a black kid isn't a total angel, he deserves to be shot down by a cop in plain daylight and i guess due process and the justice system are just for innocent white people. or at least that's what you seem to be implying by posting a fox article and saying that he wasn't an "innocent" after all (as if that changes anything about the facts here). and if that is what you think, you should at least have the balls to stand up for your beliefs.

See this what I mean. I was posting for information purposes. Don't even START calling me A fucking racist. I'm no fucking racist. A bad kid is a bad kid. Apparently you've all made up your minds about me so fuck you.

ban me I won't be back.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I think forgive and forget should be an option. It's like getting into an argument with a long time friend and breaking up over it. Over reaction on both sides.
    Trixie, Mivvi21, Lobelia and 6 others like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    When you say she implied those things, there is some interpretation going on. I can see where someone could infer that she meant he had it coming but again, that would be one interpretation and arguably not the only one. The comments were made by an extremely stressed person trying to make some sense out of this disheartening situation. When your neighborhood is imploding and burning, it's tempting to think well, maybe the victim *did* contribute to the cop's actions so maybe the world *doesn't* just flip the fuck out randomly for no reason, and maybe the cops in my town *aren't* oppressive racist murderers. The latter is a very distinct possibility here but it's a hard pill to swallow for a lot of people, even those whose neighborhoods aren't being torn apart. No psychology degree necessary here, just some basic human compassion which is the issue at the heart of this thread anyway.

She is a long-time member and I don't recall her being a troublemaker or racist so I think it's pretty knee-jerk and incredibly shitty to ban her under these circumstances. I get that this is a socially liberal board, which totally works for me & my own personal views but sometimes the judging around here reminds me of a southern baptist sewing circle and god help anybody who doesn't word something just right even while under enormous stress. She posted the article about Mike Brown & the convenience store and said something to the effect of him not being such an innocent. She did NOT say he deserved to die and if you accuse her of that, then I encourage you to examine your own filter.

There is definite pressure to conform on this board, and those of you who say there isn't are just as fucking clueless as the Ferguson mayor. This is the kind of bullshit pattern that makes me question why I've continued to be a part of this forum for so long. This thread is about something far more important than this board, so I'll just leave it at that.
    Thanks for saying pretty much everything I was thinking, especially the sad irony of the bolded statement.
    Jazzy likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I agree she was a nice person but this hit too close to home for her and I honestly don't believe that if this had happened in another town she would be saying things like "a bad kid is a bad kid" and "not such an innocent now". That's what people were responding to, I don't think we were unsympathetic to her very understandable fear. But that doesn't mean because we know (of) someone directly affected, we should put aside our opinions and agree that the police are justified killing anyone they think is mildly threatening, so long as the streets feel safe and everyone can get to work on time.
    totally agree with this. it's one thing to hold certain beliefs in theory, but it's precisely when things hit close to home that people's true colours (no pun intended) come out.

at the same time, re-reading my posts i can see where lobes is coming from as well and i think i might have come down a little hard on her but - despite knowing how close to home this was for her - i can't help but be a little bit disturbed by a few of the things she said (like the post about how her town was totally 'fine' before this... i mean, come on, really? even if mike brown hadn't been gunned down, how can you be that oblivious?)

on the wider issue, yes, it's true there is a pressure to conform. and yes, it can suck. but we've banned people outright for homophobia before too. but i also wouldn't be totally against un-banning her (providing she really doesn't think what i think she meant) but at the same time, the ftb rule is pretty clear and she asked for it herself.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post

from last year but still relevant in illustrating the difference in police treatment
    It's actually interesting you posted this I was watching some documentary on Amazon Prime about TV pioneers and the miniseries episode was heavily about Roots, and the cast touched on the racism they experienced it was very eye opening. While Roots was a major event, it didn't eradicate racism.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I think forgive and forget should be an option. It's like getting into an argument with a long time friend and breaking up over it. Over reaction on both sides.

EXACTLY.

I'm not saying people get a free pass to be jerks and homophobes and racists when they're going through a hard time. I just think we should give a friend the benefit of the doubt when s/he's struggling.

Rockchick felt attacked - not all of that is due to what people actually said on this thread, it's how she took it because well, there was literal attacking going on around her. She wasn't in the better position to stay calm and rational about our posts. We were in that position and could have done a little better with her. GR is known for its snark and candor, so those of us who've been around for years generally have thick skins but even so, almost every one of us long-timers have had at least one snit, meltdown, tantrum, moment-of-OTT-assholery, whatever you want to call it and ALSO many of us long-timers have done a ftb and come back. I'm pretty sure I've done it a couple of times myself and never got banned. I just find it extremely disheartening when a GR family member gets banned unless it's crystal clear that they're a POS, like Pippin.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

czb

^^^ agree with a lot of this. and while i'm disgusted by what is going on in ferguson, i'm not surprised that she thought there were no race problems there previously. she's not going to know about any problems unless she is personally affected or has friends that are affected. and i say this as a person who grew up in a small town that had race riots/looting (this was back in the 70s, though).

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information