Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

Our gun laws are pretty tight here in Oz but after the Port Arthur massacre there was such a public outcry over semi-automatic and assault weapons that they cracked down hard on them. Why does the average citizen need so much firepower to defend themselves? I don't know for sure what this guy used but that's what they're reporting in the Australian media.

RIP these poor babies.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

The main gun was a Bushmaster, and he also had 2 handguns. I really have no idea what a Bushmaster is.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

hub is saying the guns were a Glock, a Sig Sauer, and a .223 caliber rifle.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

A Bushmaster is a brand name, it could have been one of a double dozen models.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

the .223 was a bushmaster, I just forgot the number part. Shows how much I know about guns!
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

God, what a sad day. What a sad, sad day. Kills his mother, sprays the kids in her school with bullets. I will never be able to imagine the grief that that town is experiencing tonight - the families of the kids, the teachers, the entire town. And when you think it can't happen to you or where you are - guess again. Sigh.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

mjw
    Elite Member

Newtown, Connecticut (CNN) -- In one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history, a gunman opened fire Friday in a Connecticut elementary school, killing 26 people, 20 of them children, police said.

The suspected gunman, who was not identified by police, also was killed, apparently by his own hand.

One person was wounded.

The mass shootings occurred in one section of Sandy Hook Elementary School and spanned two classrooms, said Lt. Paul Vance of the Connecticut State Police.

Among the dead were the school's principal and psychologist, according to a parent who was at the school when the incident happened.

Separately, another adult was found dead at a second location in Newtown, Vance said. A law enforcement source with detailed knowledge of the investigation identified that person as Nancy Lanza, the mother of the suspected shooter, who was found dead at her son's home. She was a teacher at Sandy Hook, sources said.

Vance described "a very tragic, tragic scene," noting the carnage first responders witnessed when they arrived.

"I have difficulty putting it into words," Vance told CNN, adding that he has "seen some horrific things, and this is right up there with them."

Police recovered three weapons from the scene: a semi-automatic .223 Bushmaster, a Glock and a Sig Sauer, a source with knowledge of the investigation said. Vance said that the medical examiner will determine the cause of death for the gunman, though he noted that police never discharged their weapons.

Meanwhile, authorities in Hoboken, New Jersey, were questioning a man believed to be the brother of the suspected shooter, two law enforcement sources said.

President Barack Obama addressed the shooting in an emotional statement Friday afternoon, saying, "Our hearts are broken today." Obama, a father to two girls, wiped away tears as he noted the nation has "endured too many of these tragedies in the past few years."

Police and teachers rushed students from the building as police swarmed the area shortly after the first calls came in, around 9:40 a.m. ET. Officials moved students to a nearby firehouse, where parents frantically sought information about their children.

"Why? Why?" one woman wailed as she walked up a wooded roadway leading from the school.

Third-grader Alexis Wasik said police and teachers barged into her classroom and told students to hide in the corner.

"Everybody was crying," she said. "And I just heard the police officers yelling."

Aerial images from CNN affiliate News 12 New Jersey showed police officers armed with rifles following a dog into woods near the school.

Other officers, some in tactical gear, stood around the school with guns drawn, CNN affiliate WFSB reported.

All schools in the city were on lockdown Friday as police assessed the situation, Vance said.

Gov. Dannel Malloy is "horrified" by what happened, a spokesman said. Malloy was meeting with families Friday afternoon, the spokesman said.

Obama ordered flags to half-staff nationwide in honor of the victims.

If the number of fatalities remains at 26, the Newtown shooting would be the second-deadliest school shooting in U.S. history, behind only the 2007 shooting at Virginia Tech that left 32 people dead.

In 1999, at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, two students shot 13 people to death before killing themselves.
    Police: 20 children among 26 victims of Connecticut school shooting - CNN.com

Gold Member

NBC News is reporting the guns were legally purchased and registered to the (now-deceased) mother.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/279726067990814720

FOX is reporting that Ryan Lanza has told police his brother was autistic and had a "personality disorder." Neighbors have said they thought the younger Lanza was "troubled." FOX is also reporting that the father of the shooter found out about his son's involvement from a reporter:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/14...iting-at-home/

Father of Connecticut school gunman got news from reporter waiting at home

Published December 14, 2012
    FoxNews.com

The father of the man sources say killed 26 at a Connecticut school before taking his own life learned of his son's likely involvement from a reporter outside his home.
    Police had just left Peter Lanza's Stamford, Conn., home after conducting a welfare check when Lanza drove up in his Mini Cooper, according to Hearst Connecticut Media.

"Is there something I can do for you?" he said.

When the reporter told Lanza his address had been linked to the shooting in Newtown, Conn., on the other side of Fairfield County, he "took the news as a blow -- his face turning from patient to surprised and horrified" before declining to comment, rolling up his window and driving into the garage, according to the Hearst Connecticut report.

Lanza's 20-year-old son, Adam Lanza, has been identified by sources as the gunman who opened fire Friday morning at Sandy Hook Elementary School, killing 20 children and six adults before taking his own life.

Sources say Lanza earlier killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, a teacher at the school, with a shot to the head at their Newtown home, then drove her car to the school to carry out the rampage.

Peter and Nancy Lanza divorced in 2008, according to Hearst Connecticut. Peter Lanza reportedly works as vice president of taxes for GE Energy Financial Services.

Silver Member

This is just horrible. I can't even wrap my head around this. Those poor babies!! The poor families of the victims and of the kids who witnessed this horrific event.

It reminds me a bit of the UT clocktower shooting.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I think the US is suffering from a mental health crisis, especially with boys between the ages of 15-25. I'm not a mental health expert, but isn't this the time when most mental health issues arise? Are we educated on the warning signs, ot how to deal with it?

It is, though a lot of nerve issues like tourettes surface at the onset of puberty, around 11 or 12 (I learned when it cropped up in one of my sons)

Just the whole killing the mother thing reminds me of
    Charles Whitman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

This is heartbreaking. Such a nightmare.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

I don't mean to minimize this at all, of course it is especially heinous because young innocent children were targeted, but we have all seen so many of these stories on the news, Columbine, Virginia Tech, movie theatre shooting, mall shootings, church shootings, Gabby Gifford shooting...it just goes on and on.
    And the common denominator is............. Angry, unstable young men with easily/legally obtained firearms.
    ManxMouse likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

It's being reported now that the gunman is, in fact, Adam Lanza not Ryan Lanza.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread Information