Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    I heard this on the radio this morning. He wasn't being heckled. He asked a question and the gun activists shouted their answers. It was edited to make it look like he was being interrupted. IMO, that's not heckling. I'm trying to find an actual audio or video that hasn't been edited. Shocking that the media would make it look like that though. Not.
    Are you fucking kidding me? That you could watch that video, and the main thing you take away from it is that the media are embarassing because they called it heckling, is mind boggling to me.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Yeah, I watched the video. The audience was just chomping at the bit to talk back. The father even looks a bit nervous for a second. Assholes, the lot of them.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Are you fucking kidding me? That you could watch that video, and the main thing you take away from it is that the media are embarassing because they called it heckling, is mind boggling to me.
    I'm not fucking kidding you. The Father asked a question and some dumbasses answered. It was a legislative meeting so both sides were there. And shocker.. I can also believe that one, it is outrageous that pro-gun people would react this way.. AND two, it's also outrageous that the news can continuously report untrue bullshit..and people will spread it and even defend it because it coincides with their own personal beliefs.

Calling it "untrue bullshit" is bullshit. If someone had asked me to describe what they did I wouldn't hesitate to call it heckling so you're really splitting hairs if you think what they did was so far from heckling to be an "outrageous" lie.

ETA: Some people were chanting slogans not responding to a question so yeah that's heckling.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    So basically their staunch reasoning as to why they need to own assault weapons is... "because I can"? Fucking hell, how can they look those parents in the face and spew such shit??
    You spoke for me here.

laynes, HWBL and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Calling it "untrue bullshit" is bullshit. If someone had asked me to describe what they did I wouldn't hesitate to call it heckling so you're really splitting hairs if you think what they did was so far from heckling to be an "outrageous" lie.

ETA: Some people were chanting slogans not responding to a question so yeah that's heckling.
    We will agree to disagree on the definition of heckling and whether or not the media is BS. Obviously this is an emotional subject and I should have used my anti-media rant on another topic. I apologize if I offended anyone. I'm on the victim's side. I just vehemently hate and do not trust the media to give me any facts these days.

I'll end with this.
    Pro- Gunners: Do not argue with shooting victims in grief. It is disgusting and foolish. Just shut up, we know what you think.
    Anti -Gunners: Don't exploit people for your agenda. That's almost just as bad.

SANDY HOOK FATHER OWNS CONGRESS - YouTube

Pretty articulate, whether you agree with him or not.

Sorry. I find his speech a big fail at ever level. Starting at :27 when he implies that the child needed to be protected from an evil person, not an assault rifle. As was stated earlier, literally a week later a guy in China attacked a bunch of school kids with a knife. Not one died. I also think it is nauseating beyond words that he references Charlton Heston's statement that we would remove his ability to protect his child (referring to his gun collection) "from my cold dead hands." In my opinion, the guy doesn't understand the Constitution and is a gun fetishist.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Sorry. I find his speech a big fail at ever level. Starting at :27 when he implies that the child needed to be protected from an evil person, not an assault rifle. As was stated earlier, literally a week later a guy in China attacked a bunch of school kids with a knife. Not one died. I also think it is nauseating beyond words that he references Charlton Heston's statement that we would remove his ability to protect his child (referring to his gun collection) "from my cold dead hands." In my opinion, the guy doesn't understand the Constitution and is a gun fetishist.
    I agree about the Charlton Heston quote as it was probably more for shock value and unnecessary. However, I agree with him that evil exists whether it's tool is a gun, a knife, or a bomb. Do guns make it easier? Absolutely they do. But disarming everyone isn't the answer in his opinion nor mine. Get rid of assault weapons for sure.. completely not needed if you're not in the military.

I posted it because it's a different point of view from a Sandy Hook parent. We've really only see the anti-gun side thus far. Interesting for comparison. However..I do wonder if he would feel differently if he had been the one to lose a child. I've known people lost to a bad person with a gun and right now I currently have no problem with people owning guns (not rifles) for hunting or defense.) But if it were someone in my family or especially my child.. I may think completely differently.

I don't know how you're only hearing the anti gun side... all I hear and read from people (not necessarily the media) is "Second Amendment!", "government takeover!" and so on and so forth.

I really don't get it since the government is not proposing banning all guns. Not even close. You can still have your gun or guns and protect yourself, or hunt, or whip it out when you need to feel like important. So why all the unnecessary outrage and panic about losing a freedom that no one is proposing you lose?

I had a conversation with an older guy the other day about guns. He's outraged at any attempt to regulate his right to bear arms. You can't debate with these people. When I quoted a statistic on gun violence in America as compared to Japan (something like over 10,000 American gun deaths versus 2 in japan), he said, well yeah but they don't tell you how Japan kills their own people with those death squads they got over there. WTFWUT?

When he was done listing all of the good guns can do and advocating that EVERY SINGLE citizen be armed, he showed me his lower left leg which was missing about 75% of the calf muscle. Gun accident. Hideous looking, he still limps, he's lucky he's not dead.

Way to make your case there John Wayne.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

I agree about the Charlton Heston quote as it was probably more for shock value and unnecessary. However, I agree with him that evil exists whether it's tool is a gun, a knife, or a bomb. Do guns make it easier? Absolutely they do. But disarming everyone isn't the answer in his opinion nor mine. Get rid of assault weapons for sure.. completely not needed if you're not in the military.
    At this point, I don't think there are any bills out for complete disarmament. Most of them are geared toward assault weapons and high-capacity magazines - two elements which made it very easy for Adam Lanza and James Holmes to kill so many people. In my opinion, only a 2nd amendment absolutist would interpret the amendment to mean that infringing on it means you can't have some kind of limits on weapons. Especially when you consider the fact that the 2nd amendment was written by guys who were loading their guns one bullet at a time.'

I also think it's disingenuous for this guy to say his guns are really safely locked up (did he say his basement) while they would somehow be ready to be used at a moment's notice if an evil guy came to prey on his house. What's he going to do? Hop out of his bed run downstairs past the bad guy, frantically dial the combination on his safe, run back upstairs and shoot the guy? Guys like this ALWAYS have way more firepower than they need and have a borderline apocalyptic version of the world that doesn't match reality in the slightest. Just this weekend, the Washington Post had a story about two guys in Rhode Island who run a gun blog. One of them owns 15 (!!!) AR-15-style rifles. I flat out don't think that should be legal. I think it should be made illegal retroactively.

I heard this on the radio this morning. He wasn't being heckled. He asked a question and the gun activists shouted their answers. It was edited to make it look like he was being interrupted. IMO, that's not heckling. I'm trying to find an actual audio or video that hasn't been edited. Shocking that the media would make it look like that though. Not.

And before anyone calls me an asshole.. I'm not pro gun. I am pro- fact. The media in this country is an effing embarrassment.

Edit: Found it. It's around minute 1:43 when you click on link for video
    VIDEO: Newtown Parent, Gun Owners Disagree On Weapons Ban | WAMU 88.5 - American University Radio
    Fine.. fair enough. I respect your opinion. However, the "news" outlets shouldn't edit things to fit their very clear agenda. That's not reporting. This was not heckling. I personally don't like guns and I think the NRA and their lobbying is shady..but this propaganda shit is getting old.
    You and I don't have to agree with what the gun supporters say, but they do have a right to say it.
    whether or not it's edited doesn't change the fact that these people were yelling in a legislative hearing, and speaking out of turn. last time i checked, that's the definition of heckling.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Just this weekend, the Washington Post had a story about two guys in Rhode Island who run a gun blog. One of them owns 15 (!!!) AR-15-style rifles. I flat out don't think that should be legal. I think it should be made illegal retroactively.
    Agreed. I don't see the need for any gun that holds more than 5 rounds in non-military hands. Actually.. I myself would never own any gun... but I have a couple of friends who own revolvers which are locked up in their bedrooms. They are also trained on how to use them and completely sane.

I think a retroactive ban is a good idea but maybe wishful thinking. I just don't know how you implement this. There are so many out there illegally right now.

Agreed. I don't see the need for any gun that holds more than 5 rounds in non-military hands. Actually.. I myself would never own any gun... but I have a couple of friends who own revolvers which are locked up in their bedrooms. They are also trained on how to use them and completely sane.

I think a retroactive ban is a good idea but maybe wishful thinking. I just don't know how you implement this. There are so many out there illegally right now.
    Yeah, unfortunately, I'm not being realistic. Just a fantasy of mine. I think that the own-any-gun-I-want side is getting even more entrenched. I think it's a kind of psychological illness.

Just wanted to mention something also. Lately, a lot of right-wing commentators and pundits have been saying that the term "assault weapon" is a made up term or a term that describes a fully automatic weapon, not the semi-automatic AR-15's and other guns that legal for civilian use. However, the article below notes that the term was actually coined by the gun industry itself. Guns & Ammo magazine used the term for an article in 1982. And Heckler and Koch used the term for a civilian rifle (HK 91) that it advertised in 1984. Article is below:

What Right-Wing Media Won't Tell You About Assault Weapons | Blog | Media Matters for America
    laynes likes this.

Thread Information