Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

Fuck that asshole wanting to sue. Why do people have to be so damn greedy and just be happy that your child is still alive. This is why I so despise the human race for the most part.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    If you want to stop the lines and frenzied buying: Make the ban retroactive. No grandfathering for people with existing assault rifles. And have it be a felony to have one and not turn it in by a particular date.
    I like this idea. The only issue would be with people who did not register their weapon. I've read in the news that some people say they won't register going forward as they fear the government will come after them.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Fuck that asshole wanting to sue. Why do people have to be so damn greedy and just be happy that your child is still alive. This is why I so despise the human race for the most part.
    It's a slap in the face to everyone who risked or gave their lives helping save that kid.
    McJag and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    I like this idea. The only issue would be with people who did not register their weapon. I've read in the news that some people say they won't register going forward as they fear the government will come after them.
    There are complications that would go along with that, though (assuming registration was mandatory):

1. If a crime is committed in the house using the weapon, the penalty would be much stiffer.

2. If someone commits suicide with the weapon in the house, there will not only be a tragic death, but also criminal charges when the police come to the investigate.

3. In a similar vein, incidents that happen as a result of the weapon being discharged in or around the house (whether it's property damage or injuries) would probably not be covered by insurance.

4. If your "unregistered assault weapon" is stolen from your house, better not report it to the police. Your $2,000 just went out the window.

5. You might by, but if you try to resell it, it would be a felony, and if you get screwed on the deal, there would be no recourse for you.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

I think that lawsuit is a bad, bad thing for all the reasons mentioned. It's not fair to do that to the people of the state of Connecticut and I don't think it was the school's fault. Not to mention, they would be making the families of the children who died pay this out of taxes. It's truly sick. The only thing I can say, is that people are compelled to do strange things at times like this. Hopefully, they will come to their senses. That child is going to have enough problems in her life, a hundred million dollars is not going to fix that for anyone involved.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Elite Member

There are complications that would go along with that, though (assuming registration was mandatory):

1. If a crime is committed in the house using the weapon, the penalty would be much stiffer.

2. If someone commits suicide with the weapon in the house, there will not only be a tragic death, but also criminal charges when the police come to the investigate.

3. In a similar vein, incidents that happen as a result of the weapon being discharged in or around the house (whether it's property damage or injuries) would probably not be covered by insurance.

4. If your "unregistered assault weapon" is stolen from your house, better not report it to the police. Your $2,000 just went out the window.

5. You might by, but if you try to resell it, it would be a felony, and if you get screwed on the deal, there would be no recourse for you.
    I like how you think! However, I just don't see anything like this happening, not in my lifetime. Unfortunately, people in this country are pretty well brainwashed about their "2nd Amendment Rights".

(Link) Lawyer withdraws Sandy Hook suit, may refile - Connecticut Post

Just days after filing a $100 million lawsuit claiming the state failed to adequately protect the students at Sandy Hook Elementary School, a New Haven lawyer has withdrawn it. But that doesn't preclude a future filing, Irving Pinsky said.
    "I received new evidence on security at the school, which I need to evaluate," Pinsky said Monday.

Once that happens, Pinsky said he may re-submit the paperwork to J. Paul Vance Jr., who as the state's claims commissioner has the authority to determine if a claim is justified and requires hearings. Vance must approve any claim before a state agency can be sued.
    Vance is the son of Connecticut State Police Lt. J. Paul Vance, the state police spokesman assigned to the Dec. 14 Sandy Hook school massacre investigation. Adam Lanza, a 20-year-old Newtown resident, killed 20 children and six female staff members before turning the gun on himself.

Pinsky said once he reviews the evidence, he will decide what "route to take." His clients are the parents of a 6-year-old girl who survived the attacks, but was traumatized by the shooting, gunfire and the screaming she heard over the school's loudspeaker that day.

"We haven't decided which route to take yet," Pinsky said. "A lot depends on the evidence we uncover."
    Earlier in the day, Attorney General George Jepsen said his office will defend the state against any claim Pinsky might file.
    "However, the Office of the Claims Commissioner is not the appropriate venue for that important and complex discussion," Jepsen said.

"Although the investigation is still under way, we are aware of no facts or legal theory under which the state of Connecticut should be liable for causing the harms inflicted at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Nor does the claim letter filed in this case identify a valid basis to support a claim against the state...and its taxpayers."

Still pending before J. Paul Vance Jr. is another high-profile case.
    Three years ago, the family of Charla Nash filed a $150 million claim against the state Department of Environmental Protection and blamed the DEP for allowing a pet chimpanzee to remain in a Stamford woman's home.
    The chimp went on a February 2009 rampage and severely mauled Nash, who lost her hands and eyes and required a complete facial transplant.

Staff writer Ken Dixon contributed to this report.

*In case you didn't already guess, Irving Pinsky is known around CT as an ambulance chaser, but he states that the family sought him out.

Pinsky said once he reviews the evidence, he will decide what "route to take." His clients are the parents of a 6-year-old girl who survived the attacks, but was traumatized by the shooting, gunfire and the screaming she heard over the school's loudspeaker that day.
    So this isn't one of the kids who watched classmates being killed? The parents of this kid want over hundred million dollars from the state because their child survived, but heard the fight over the speaker when the principal was trying to alert the teachers of the danger? When I six years old, I saw a puppy screaming while having it's tail cut off w/o anaesthetics (one of those bull breeds; done for aesthetics). Reckon I was more traumatised than this kid would have been. Where's my millions of taxpayer-paid dollars?
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Default Teen Suspended for Daring to Empathize with Adam Lanza in Private Poem

School Suspends, Shames Student For Not Excoriating Adam Lanza in Private Poem

Here is evidence of mental health protocols in America being fucked up, which is something we might want to collectively figure out if we're going to stop things like mass shootings. Courtni Webb is a student at Learning Life Academy in California, and last month a teacher found a poem in her notebook that empathized with Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza. In the poem, Webb wrote the following:

I understand the killings in Connecticut.
    I know why he pulled the trigger.

The rest of the poem is filled with lines that fleshes out that thought: "Misery loves company," "If I can't be loved no one can," "Society never wants to take the blame" and "Society puts these thoughts in our head." Webb's school, unfortunately rather predictably, flipped out — suspending her from school and threatening her with expulsion. Here is the reasoning for that suspension, per the school:

A letter from a Life Learning Academy official said Webb's writing "contained deeply concerning, and threatening language related to the recent school shootings in Newtown, Connecticut."

Of course, schools need to be hyper-aware of any students that might be contemplating or dealing with thoughts of mass violence. But, suspending and shunning a student that empathizes with a mass murderer isn't even close to the way to do that. As Webb says herself:

"I didn't say that I agree with it, I said I simply understand it," she said of the killings.

"I feel like I've really been made to almost look like a monster by my school and I don't appreciate that at all."

None of this even touches on freedom of speech issues, but what it does show is that an ongoing discussion of how to prevent another Sandy Hook doesn't begin and end with the president or Congress or state governments. It trickles all the way down to attitudes endemic to our society.

School Suspends, Shames Student For Not Excoriating Adam Lanza in Private Poem
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^I just came over to post that story. Seriously, I'd think there are probably a lot other teens who write way more disturbing poetry and facebook statuses than that who don't get suspended. If they were so worried about her, how about sitting down and talking with her rather than turning it into an international incident? It was found in a "personal notebook"? What right did the teacher have in going through her stuff? And there's nothing glorifying the deaths of the children, it's not even threatening.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

That's fucked up on a so many levels. If they really believe the girl is a threat, marginalizing her is not the answer. It may actually drive her to do the very thing that they are afraid of. Not that I think she comes off threatening at all.
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    ^I just came over to post that story. Seriously, I'd think there are probably a lot other teens who write way more disturbing poetry and facebook statuses than that who don't get suspended. If they were so worried about her, how about sitting down and talking with her rather than turning it into an international incident? It was found in a "personal notebook"? What right did the teacher have in going through her stuff? And there's nothing glorifying the deaths of the children, it's not even threatening.
    But if you run across a journal like Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold's, please do NOT respect their privacy, and call a SWAT team or something.

But if you run across a journal like Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold's, please do NOT respect their privacy, and call a SWAT team or something.
    That's what I'm saying in a roundabout way. I think there are other kids who give way different and bigger warning signs. Saying you would like to see kids die or "crazy ranting" is one thing, but this girl simply said she knew why Lanza did what he did. I don't think she really does, but maybe writing is her way of trying to understand. I think it does warrant a serious two-way conversation (even if I don't like how the teacher found the poem), but like Cornflakegirl said, marginalizing her for expressing her feelings isn't necessarily the best route either. This girl is in a special school as it is and the idea behind that is giving kids who need it more attention than they might get at a regular public school, but instead of helping her through what's bothering her, they're suspending her indefinitely? Based on the article, I don't think she's an imminent threat.
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    So this isn't one of the kids who watched classmates being killed? The parents of this kid want over hundred million dollars from the state because their child survived, but heard the fight over the speaker when the principal was trying to alert the teachers of the danger?
    Hold on just a fucking minute... Say what!? I also thought this was the one kid who survived (by playing dead or something) in the actual classroom where kids were getting shot up. Not one of the hundreds holed up in a closet or bathroom with a teacher who heard shit over a loudspeaker.

They must be out their goddamned minds!

Sheeeeyat.
    shedevilang likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

That story with the suspended girl...FFS! Thank God there was no thought police when I was teen to get hold of any my somewhat pretentious and angsty writings (which is normal, she's a TEENAGER).
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information