Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

The NRA didn't have to and in reality should not have said anything in the first place. All they did was add fuel to the fire for all the people that hate them.

I read the transcript and while I think they are very short sighted in their "solution", it would be short sighted of me to suggest that the NRA is responsible or culpable for this shooting. It is not their fault that Adam Lanza (who was mentally ill) murdered 26 people..and to suggest so is ridiculous. Again..they should have just not said anything at all.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting to hear a legitimate and realistic good idea from the either side.

For the record.. I don't want police in all of the schools because not only do I think it wouldn't be that effective but it would just be one step closer to a National Police Force. No thank you.
    dilligaf and southernbelle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    The NRA didn't have to and in reality should not have said anything in the first place. All they did was add fuel to the fire for all the people that hate them.

I read the transcript and while I think they are very short sighted in their "solution", it would be short sighted of me to suggest that the NRA is responsible or culpable for this shooting. It is not their fault that Adam Lanza (who was mentally ill) murdered 26 people..and to suggest so is ridiculous. Again..they should have just not said anything at all.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting to hear a legitimate and realistic good idea from the either side.

For the record.. I don't want police in all of the schools because not only do I think it wouldn't be that effective but it would just be one step closer to a National Police Force. No thank you.
    jesus fucking christ, are you for real?
    HWBL likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I've suggested a solution in this thread a few times. Where might some culpability for our unfettered gun culture lie? If not with the mouthpiece of the movement then who is setting the agenda, judging the legislators, dismissing any discussion whatsoever on curtailing access to weapons of war? The NRA should stand up and own their policies - they strongly advocate for fewer regulations (can't keep the mentally unbalanced from access to guns without regulations), no limit on gun clips, etc. etc. You don't get to be the face and voice of an entire political segment and then say, well we didn't pull the trigger. That's really a cop out. If you believe it, own it and stand up and shout about it.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    jesus fucking christ, are you for real?
    Uh yes. What's got you freaked out?

The part where I believe that a person is accountable for their own actions or the part where I'm still waiting for a good solution? Or the part where I don't want a National Police Force which Obama has talked about wanting?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I've suggested a solution in this thread a few times. Where might some culpability for our unfettered gun culture lie? If not with the mouthpiece of the movement then who is setting the agenda, judging the legislators, dismissing any discussion whatsoever on curtailing access to weapons of war? The NRA should stand up and own their policies - they strongly advocate for fewer regulations (can't keep the mentally unbalanced from access to guns without regulations), no limit on gun clips, etc. etc. You don't get to be the face and voice of an entire political segment and then say, well we didn't pull the trigger. That's really a cop out. If you believe it, own it and stand up and shout about it.

For sure. But to blame them for the actions of one person is a stretch. IMO, half of the problem with society is that there is no personal accountability anymore. It's always someone else's fault.. I don't get it.

I agree the NRA could have gone an entirely different and more helpful direction. They offered nothing of substance today, they might as well have said nothing. So far the solutions from either side have been no guns or more guns. That's ridiculous.

Didn't Bill Clinton ask for police in schools years ago after the Columbine shooting? Seems to be the quick response I guess.
    dexter7 and southernbelle like this.

For starters, I would say a good solution would be to ban assault weapons. As I have heard many people state over the last few days, there is no reason on earth why a civilian would need a weapon the caliber of the one the shooter used. That weapon was never meant for someone's person protection nor was it meant for hunting. The NRA is incredibly arrogant and ignorant at the same time to have even suggested such a "solution". Jesus tap dancing Christ, no one is even saying to these fools that guns should be banned or outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    For starters, I would say a good solution would be to ban assault weapons. As I have heard many people state over the last few days, there is no reason on earth why a civilian would need a weapon the caliber of the one the shooter used. That weapon was never meant for someone's person protection nor was it meant for hunting. The NRA is incredibly arrogant and ignorant at the same time to have even suggested such a "solution". Jesus tap dancing Christ, no one is even saying to these fools that guns should be banned or outlawed.
    Hey.. I'm with ya. The weapon Lanza used wasn't technically an "assault rifle" but I more than 100% agree with you and others that there's absolutely no need for that kind of weapon EVER. Like I said earlier in this thread. If you need thirty rounds in 60 seconds for self defense then you have to be the biggest asshole on earth.

And for the record..I certainly wasn't defending the NRA. But i'm not blaming them for this either. Just stating the fact that they should have kept their mouths shut and spared us all the bull shit.

Side note: "Jesus tap dancing Christ" is my new favorite saying. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post

I read the transcript and while I think they are very short sighted in their "solution", it would be short sighted of me to suggest that the NRA is responsible or culpable for this shooting.
    The problem with the NRA is kind of twofold. Their greatest leverage is in agitating their huge membership to harrass, or not vote for, a Congress person who tilts against the NRA agenda. To do this, they typically paint overly stark pictures of our government somehow lurching toward liberal/communist totalitarianism and then coming for their guns. It feeds into paranoia and distorts the necessity of guns.

In the past, when the NRA was short on funds and needed to raise money, they would send out scary newsletters to their members. Now, that aspect is combined with making money from gun sales/manufacturers. So, what's happening now, is that the NRA is not only relying on protecting the 2nd Amendment, but also on the continued sale of guns. In my opinion, it's a corrupting influence that leads the NRA to do things like support legislation that loosens restrictions on mentally unsound people getting their gun collections back. Or making the tracing of gun sales and ownership very difficult.

I agree it was ill advised for the NRA to say anything today. A leopard doesn't change its spots. It's like Darth Vader delivering Hamlet's soliloquy. It looks awkward and insincere.
    laynes likes this.

So far the solutions from either side have been no guns or more guns. That's ridiculous.
    Continuing to say this doesn't make it true. Many people have offered very thoughtful, nuanced solutions that reflect neither of those extremes in this thread alone.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Classes consolidated for Newtown students' return

NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — Consolidating the first-grade classes at Sandy Hook Elementary School, where 20 young students were shot dead last week, is part of the complicated and sensitive process of preparing for the surviving students' return next month to a refurbished middle school in neighboring Monroe.

Newtown Superintendent of Schools Janet Robinson, in an interview Friday with The Associated Press, said most of the classes will remain intact, except the first grade, which lost the students in an attack by a gunman who also killed six educators, his mother and himself. She said one of the school's three first-grade classes has just one remaining student.

Robinson said she expects most of the Sandy Hook teachers will be on hand when students begin classes at the former Chalk Hill school, just a few miles away, on Jan. 3.

"We're going to have a lot of support for them," Robinson said of the approximately 30 teachers and staff members from Sandy Hook. "Certainly, if they need more time, they can have more time. But I think many don't want their children — they own those children — they don't want them to be with a substitute. So I think most of them are going to try to come back."

Approximately 500 students attend Sandy Hook, which includes kindergarten through fourth grade. Because the children are so young, Robinson said work needed to be done to accommodate them, including raising the bathroom floors so they can reach the toilets. She said rooms have been repainted, the school's technology has been upgraded and teachers from Monroe have volunteered to decorate the classrooms.

Chalk Hill hasn't been used as a middle school for two years, she said, adding Monroe is allowing Newtown to use it for free.

"We're so fortunate," said Robinson, the Newtown superintendent for the past five years. "Monroe is a great neighbor."

Parents will have an opportunity on Jan. 2, the day when the rest of Newtown students return from their holiday break, to tour the school and reconnect with friends and teachers. The teachers will meet that morning.

Sandy Hook parents were updated on the situation during a private meeting at Newtown High School on Thursday. Robinson said officials from Newtown and Monroe, including the respective police chiefs, tried to reassure them that efforts are being made to keep their children safe.

"When they left, it was an upbeat atmosphere in the room," Robinson said. "This is an awful thing that the Sandy Hook community — and they really are a community. It's an awful thing they experienced, but we're all going to make it through, we're all going to do this."

Robinson, who on Friday morning observed a moment of silence for the victims with Gov.Dannel Malloy and other officials, said she has lost count of how many funerals and wakes she has attended. She is trying to attend at least a wake or funeral for all 20 students and six staff members.

She recalled Friday not realizing the breadth of the Dec. 14 tragedy until hours after her office got a call around 9:30 a.m. from the school bus company, saying it had heard about a shooting at Sandy Hook.

"I said, 'Well there can't be a shooting at Sandy Hook. It must be in the neighborhood,'" she said.

Robinson then asked her secretary to call the school to find out if it needed to go into a lockdown mode but no one answered the phone.

When she arrived at the Sandy Hook firehouse where families were gathering, she said, she still didn't have a handle on the number of victims. Frantic parents where asking about teacherVictoria Soto's class. Soto, 27, was among those killed in the massacre.

Robinson said she knew at that point one teacher had called from the school on her cellphone, telling authorities she was hiding with her students in a room. Robinson said she also knew of children who had escaped the building and were discovered at the police station and other locations.

"I still didn't know if I might find other groups of kids yet," she said. "I didn't know for quite some time."

Eventually the police chief asked to talk to her outside.

"And I'll just remember standing there, against an emergency vehicle, all kinds of helicopters overhead, and he said, 'Janet, this is much worse than you're probably thinking,'" she said.

Robinson recalled saying the death of one child was awful but the chief told her there were "quantities" of fatalities.

"It takes your breath away," she said.

Classes consolidated for Newtown students' return - New Canaan News

Newtown teachers traumatized by shooting

NEWTOWN -- Teachers in Sandy Hook Elementary School and elsewhere in the district are grappling with emotional trauma in the wake of last week's mass shooting, the town's superintendent said Thursday.

"We are educators. We are not accustomed to doing combat," Newtown Schools Superintendent Janet Robinson said, "and we want to help people through it the best we can. This is more than grieving; this is post-traumatic stress. And it's not going to be over tomorrow."

The school district is providing counseling throughNewtown Youth and Family Services and its Sandy Hook office will be open through the weekend and Christmas week. Kids In Crisis counselors also are available at the family services' office, including on Christmas Day.
    Newtown teachers traumatized by shooting - New Canaan News
    l

She said one of the school's three first-grade classes has just one remaining student.
    Jesus Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Very sorry to hear about that. MY SIL lost hers (first pregnancy, too) at about 6 months. And virtually everybody in the family (except me) was down there to celebrate the winter holiday. It was supposed to be this happy time but became an incredibly sad one. Ironically, nobody knew what to say, so they hardly said anything. Finally, my SIL basically told my BIL, "Nobody is saying anything, and I feel even more isolated and sad." Finally, everyone came together and did and said the right things. But for people who haven't gone through something like that, it can be difficult to know what the right thing to do is.

This year, my SIL had a very healthy baby boy. She is ecstatic. I never knew she could be so happy.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your SIL and glad that she went on have a healthy baby!
    Last edited by MmeVertigina; December 22nd, 2012 at 08:19 PM.

There will be one class in this school for the next few years that will not have any students in it. Could you imagine the one empty class in the school?

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Continuing to say this doesn't make it true. Many people have offered very thoughtful, nuanced solutions that reflect neither of those extremes in this thread alone.
    Yes they have. Unfortunately I'm talking about the folks in charge.
    Obviously if folks at GR ran the country it would be much more efficient.

I was thinking about these poor families yesterday. It breaks my heart to think it's been a week without their kids and loved ones. I can't imagine what a slow and painful week it's been.
    laynes likes this.

Thread Information