Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    ^^ Plus it's sending the not-so-subtle message (which has been plastered all over facebook) that if only God were in schools, this wouldn't have happened. Bullshit. More people have died in the name of someone else's God than any lone gunman.
    yep - I keep wanting to respond that it could have happened in a parochial school too. And for those who believe, God does not live on a wall - he's lives in your heart and mind.

as long as we're talking about religion, *tosses gas can on fire* what about that douche pastor who said that the survival on the one child from the first grade classroom was "divine intervention"? source Kind of a slap in the face to the families of the other kids.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    as long as we're talking about religion, *tosses gas can on fire* what about that douche pastor who said that the survival on the one child from the first grade classroom was "divine intervention"? source Kind of a slap in the face to the families of the other kids.
    I know that not all religious people are awful human beings, but my fucking hell sometimes it's hard to hold on to that resolve in light of the vocal asshattery that goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I saw one a while back that had two guys dressed like pterodactyls and some chick doing stuff while a little unidentified dinosaur watched. It was at that point that I realized (hoped?) I'd reached the end of the internet.

It winds me up so much when people make comments like how 'at least the kids are happy with the angels' and all that BS when kids get murdered. I read that stuff all the time in crime threads on certain sites and it's so hard not to say something.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    I think you have to imagine for a moment that it was your child and that this is tragic, horrible, heartwrenching and something you never recover from. They will never grow up, they will never develop interests, they will never experience living on their own, they will never fall in love, they will never know what it means to love their own children. Now, they are gone, gunned down in the one place (outside the home) that should have been safest for them. Now imagine someone decides to utilize this tragedy to script a hallmark moment about how it's actually a blessing, a miracle and we should all be grateful and rejoice that they died so young.

The idea that this is, in any way, something to rejoice over is disgusting, insensitive and presumptuous. People can feel comforted by their fairytales as much as they want, but I will be as disgusted and furious as I want in return. I won't pretend that just because it is their faith it is worthy of respect, or just because it makes people feel good that it's valid.
    you know what, people never know what to say to someone when something horrible happens, and the funny thing is..........every person is different. what gives one person comfort will drive another person insane. there are a million different things people say when a tragedy happens.......and there have been a million different ways people have responded to these children dying. some people are jumping on gun law reform, some people are sending cards, some people are writing prayers/poems, mental health awareness, the media is choking the town, etc. My way is not your way, and so on and so forth. to me, the vehemence of your words is similar to the thoughts people say when they hear about those horrible westboro funeral picketers.

i don't like when either side of the atheist/religion believers act extreme ("people who don't believe in God are going to hell/deserve to die/ are less of a human being because they don't believe" or "religious people are stupid fairytale believing idiots...who don't deserve respect) ugly is ugly, both sides have people who sling ugly, and those are the people i lose respect for.
    WhateverLolaWants likes this.

I can understand not liking the strength of someone's words, I don't particularly like the milk-toast approach that we are all precious and our positions are all valid regardless of what they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I saw one a while back that had two guys dressed like pterodactyls and some chick doing stuff while a little unidentified dinosaur watched. It was at that point that I realized (hoped?) I'd reached the end of the internet.

I heard a rabbi on NPR a day or so after the shooting who had been at the firehouse with a parent waiting to see if her child survived. The boy never came through the doors. The interviewer asked how the rabbi explained this loss to the mother. He said he didn't offer up any theology. He flat out said he doesn't have a good theological reason for events like this. He simply held her hand, comforted her, and tried to help her through that excruciating moment. I found it comforting just listening to him.

Between politics and religion, it's like we forget how to be human. This rabbi didn't.
    Kat Scorp and sluce like this.

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    I can understand not liking the strength of someone's words, I don't particularly like the milk-toast approach that we are all precious and our positions are all valid regardless of what they are.
    perhaps my basis for what makes a position valid is a bit more broad than yours, but i have my limits too. murderers, animal abusers, etc are not "precious" people to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    actually, the majority of the children were christian, but that is neither here nor there. i think it's sick that you or anyone else is that upset over it......imagine me getting sick and furious and worked into a frenzy because you (or anyone else) don't believe in heaven or jesus or allah or buddha (or insert whatever your belief is). do you really believe the author, or anyone else who found comfort in the poem, believes that the "greatest joy of their [children)] exceptionally short lives" was their murder? how ridiculous, but everything is open to interpretation.
    More like the majority of their parents. Children are not anything until they've become fully indoctrinated, which IMO is not possible at these ages (they just go along with what they're taught with few if any questioning at the ages these kids were). And even that we can only assume. I know at least two of those kids (or rather their parents) were Jewish. And even if I knew for a fact that they frequented Christian churches or were raised with Christianity I'd still keep that "they're with God now" shit to a minimum, because I've seen even Christians lose it when people try to use that to comfort them. I was raised as Christian as you can get but I think if I was a parent of one of those kids and someone sent me that maudlin crap, I'd have to restrain myself from punching them in the face.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I think I find the poem tacky and in poor taste. I can't imagine the uproar if the poem was written with a Jewish or Islamic point of view. That Allah was waiting for the children or what have you.

I lost a cousin when I was a child. He was a couple of years younger than me. I guess people kept telling my aunt and uncle that he was in a better place, that he wasn't in pain and wasn't scared and that he was running around playing with Jesus. My aunt freaked out. She was tired of hearing that because being here wasn't such a bad place, and only a few days before he passed he was running around playing with his friends and cousins, and that he would be scared if he didn't have his mom to tuck him in at night. Some people don't want to hear it. And I come from a long line of Catholics who believed in God.

Yes, people don't know what to say, but sometimes "I'm sorry for your loss" or nothing at all is better than stuff like this.
    Kat Scorp and sluce like this.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post

I HATE when people say this in this type of situation. God chose some of you but not the rest of you - he liked them better. Imagine how the parents of the kids who were lost feel about hearing this. I would lose my mind.

That poem is nauseating. If this is how people really think - why don't we all just kill ourselves now so we can be angels and rejoice with the lord as well? Why stay here? After the world ends tomorrow - we may, in fact, be doing just that although I'll be going where it's warmer.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    "Then, he pondered a moment, and exclaimed, Hey, I'm God!"
    "'I'll make guns disappear,' which he did with a nod."
    "When the NRA found out about God's gun defection."
    "They promised to oppose him in the next general election."
    Sometimes I really love you, Mo.

Outgoing Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown (Republican)

NRA Rating: A
    Before Sandy Hook:
    When Brown was elected to the Senate in 2010, the NRA called his victory a "stunning defeat for gun control extremists." After last summer's Aurora movie theater massacre, Brown said he still thought it should be up to lawmakers in individual states to decide whether to ban assault weapons.
    After Sandy Hook:
    Brown is the first GOP senator to endorse a renewed assault weapons ban, according to Politico. Here's what he told the Springfield Republican on Wednesday:
    "What happened in Newtown where those children were subject to that level of violence is beyond my comprehension. As a state legislator in Massachusetts I supported an assault weapons ban thinking other states would follow suit. But unfortunately, they have not and innocent people are being killed. As a result, I support a federal assault weapons ban, perhaps like the legislation we have in Massachusetts."

I am so glad I campaigned against this douchetard for Elizabeth Warren. He knows another senate seat will open up if John Kerry becomes Sec'y of State. So far since he lost the election he has said that even though he signed Grover Norquist's tax pledge he is no longer sure he supports it, and now he's talking about an assault weapons ban. Mitt must have rubbed off on him.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

It seems that people just feel the need to be offended by something all of the time. It's a freaking poem for Pete's sake. Obviously if it's "everywhere" then it's making some people feel comforted..and what's wrong with that? I've seen at least 3 interviews with parents of the deceased children who mentioned "angels, god, and heaven". So I doubt this particular poem is upsetting them. And if any of the parents are Atheist, Jewish, or Muslim.. I really doubt they would be offended about something that's meant to be nice. They are trying to grieve and mourn and figure out how in the heck life will go on, they don't have time to be offended. Plus.. It's separation OF religion.. not FROM religion. I'm not very religious, and I don't believe in the Christian God, but I honestly don't get this country. We shit on Christianity but will bend over backwards to make anyone else feel good. As I've mentioned before, my atheist friends are worse than evangelicals in the way they always feel the need to make fun of anyone that believes in God. Now THAT's offensive. We may not need God in school..but we definitely need tolerance.

Now that that rant is over.. has anyone seen the video of the Westboro Church on the Russell Brand show? Russell OWNS them...and he does it all through peace and love. It's beautiful.
    BRILLIANT: Russell Brand Interviewed Westboro Baptist Church And This Is What Happened | MoveOn.Org

Sorry.. I can't get the actual video to post. If I'm violating something.. let me know and I'll edit/delete.
    dexter7 likes this.

When you live in MS, USA it's a lot easier to get tired of Christianity (even if you are a Christian!) because it's being shoved down your throat 24/7. The first 4-5 times I saw this poem on my wall it was no big deal. Multiply that several times and now I want it to die a fiery death.
    shedevilang likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

I am interested in finding out where the guns were kept and what sort of access Adam Lanza had to them.

Because it still puzzles me...Even if his mom thought that he would never commit a violent act against anyone else, why wouldn't she consider that guns would provide an easy and effective method of suicide?

I think it is unfortunate that he blew his brains out, as it would have been interesting to study his brain post-mortem and see if there was any notable defect.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Thread Information