Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

Mohandas, can you take down that graphic? Since it was posted I started getting virus warnings in this thread and I suspect its the culprit.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Mohandas, can you take down that graphic? Since it was posted I started getting virus warnings in this thread and I suspect its the culprit.
    Okay. Graphics replaced with graphics directly from CDC and NIH sites, respectively.

Okay, good, thanks. I went in and out twice and didn't get another warning.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Okay, good, thanks. I went in and out twice and didn't get another warning.
    You're welcome, and it's always better to link to the original source for the stats/graphics. My bad!

Looks like we should be careful of arguing with Mohandas, he's infecting computers with his magic pie charts now
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Looks like we should be careful of arguing with Mohandas, he's infecting computers with his magic pie charts now
    Don't eat the brown acid or the magic pie chart.

Quote Originally Posted by SunShine23 View Post
    do you really think someone planning a murder is going to stop his plans because he cant get a gun legally? it's not that hard to get a gun off the street so how exactly will gun laws help when you can skirt the laws?
    But you can skirt any law, that doesn't mean we shouldn't have them.

I guess I just feel that it's pretty shitty that someone has the right to own a military style automatic assault rifle (or whatever this idiotic family owned) and that their right outweighs my right to live in a society that doesn't allow human hunting machines like those. Pisses me the fuck off.
    MontanaMama, sputnik, Tati and 3 others like this.

Anything that makes it incrementally harder to get these high-powered assault weapons could cause a delay such that (1) a person could be caught; (2) the person could slip out of a psychotic phase/change their mind; or (3) the person could be helped or some other intervening factor could happen. Or, they could decide to go ahead with their plan immediately but with a legal gun, making the carnage less. It's not a given, but the potential benefits are obvious.
    MmeVertigina, effie2 and Kat Scorp like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Did you hear this last night? Very beautiful.
    Hallelujah - The Voice - YouTube
    laynes likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    But you can skirt any law, that doesn't mean we shouldn't have them.

I guess I just feel that it's pretty shitty that someone has the right to own a military style automatic assault rifle (or whatever this idiotic family owned) and that their right outweighs my right to live in a society that doesn't allow human hunting machines like those. Pisses me the fuck off.
    Reverse that, how does your right outweigh their right to buy whatever they want? Not saying its right, it just is what it is.

High-Capacity Magazines Targeted By Democrats In New Gun Control Push

House Democrats say they've seen a groundswell of support within their caucus for legislation that would prohibit the manufacturing of high-capacity magazines. At least two lawmakers are planning to push for a vote on such legislation before the year ends.

The bill backed by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.) and Diana DeGette (D-Colo.) mirrors legislation that has been introduced in the Senate by Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.). It would ban magazines for more than 10 rounds of ammunition and prohibit the transfer, possession or importation of those magazines that are manufactured after the date of the law being signed.

Similar bills have been introduced or pushed after every episode of major gun violence in the past few years -- in part because all involved high-capacity magazines -- but to no avail. Backers of the legislation, however, say there is movement in their direction following the murder of 20 first-graders and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

"Right away we could pass ... we could pass the ban on the assault magazine," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) told MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell on Tuesday. "Just to ban the magazine, the assault magazine, we could do it right now."

In an interview with The Huffington Post, DeGette said that she now has approximately 125 co-sponsors on the bill. That includes 16 lawmakers who signed up during a caucus meeting on Tuesday morning. Among them was Minority House Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) according to DeGette's office.

"We are demanding that Speaker Boehner bring it up for a vote this week. And we are looking for ways to make that vote happen," said DeGette.

"I'm not so nave as to think that we can pass some law that will stop a deranged person from taking a gun and shooting people," the Colorado Democrat added. "What I am interested in is making it as difficult as possible for that deranged person to shoot as many people as possible."

House Speaker John Boehner's office didn't immediately return a request for comment, although in the wake of the Newtown shootings, at least one congressional Republican –- Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) -- has expressed openness to the idea of limiting the size of magazines.

Likewise, on Tuesday, White House press secretary Jay Carney said that President Barack Obama supported the concept, in addition to his support for renewal of the assault weapons ban and closure of the gun-show loophole. The president had also spoken about gun control legislation on Tuesday, via phone, with Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.), a prominent gun rights advocate who has changed his tune post Sandy Hook. But as of now there are no specifics.

"At some point you'll hear from him more broadly on this issue, but I don't have a time frame on that," said Carney.

High-Capacity Magazines Targeted By Democrats In New Gun Control Push

For those not familiar with her, Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy's husband was killed and her son severely wounded in the LIRR mass shooting back in the 90's. She's a strong gun control advocate.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; December 18th, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Now that makes sense. No one needs to be able to fire 50 rounds without changing.

Well, maybe if they're being attacked by a herd of Walkers, or China invades us, but that's about it.
    louiswinthorpe111 and laynes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    But what if just want to drive it around, unarmed?
    Are you a good driver? A tank can do some awful damage.

Limiting high-capacity magazines seems reasonable. Lanza apparently had multiple thirty-round magazines loaded for his Bushmaster. And Holmes (the Aurora shooter) had an AR-15 with a 100-round drum. It would be nice if you could make the date of magazine manufacture retroactive, so that people would have to turn them in and you wouldn't have gun nuts splurging to buy extra magazines before the date that the legislation starts, assuming it ever got passed in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Why can't I have a tank?
    Bieber fan. 'Nuff said.
    Jazzy, sluce, effie2 and 1 others like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Thread Information